NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

there are other applications to analogue triggers. It's like a dpad vs an analogue stick, analogue allows greater precision than a simple on off control.

SMS used it to control flow of water for example.

It's most obvious application is in racers, but say Splatoon could benefit with a gun firing at a lower distance but using less ink at low levels, or firing further/wider but using more ink when the trigger is pulled all the way back.

In a platformer a jump could be judged by how far an analogue trigger is pulled.

again in shooters a trigger could be used to zoom in, or even a rts could allow a zoom function linked to how far you hold in the trigger.

So there are a number of possibilities.

I just don't think a super powerful Nintendo consoles gets many sales, the industry has moved on. They're better off going cheap and banking on the hybrid functionality IMO. I don't think third party support on Wii U would have made much of a difference to sales numbers, people buy a Nintendo console to play first party games.

I just don't think a super powerful Nintendo consoles gets many sales, the industry has moved on. They're better off going cheap and banking on the hybrid functionality IMO. I don't think third party support on Wii U would have made much of a difference to sales numbers, people buy a Nintendo console to play first party games.

The thing is, PS4 level capabilities are hardly 'super powerful' in todays day - and we're projecting at a 2016/2017 release of a new Nintendo console.

I think the Gamecube was a great example of a powerful Nintendo home console, inline with the PS2 and XB and selling relatively well. If it wasn't for those mini discs we probably would have gotten more/less limited ports.

I don't believe outside of the SNES era Nintendo have really tried as much as it could to be an open door for third parties.

An enhanced third party support may not have made a big difference to the Wii U, but thats because the Wii U itself has far more issues of its own. Third party support is only a supplementary portion of the whole.

The thing is, PS4 level capabilities are hardly 'super powerful' in todays day - and we're projecting at a 2016/2017 release of a new Nintendo console.

I think the Gamecube was a great example of a powerful Nintendo home console, inline with the PS2 and XB and selling relatively well. If it wasn't for those mini discs we probably would have gotten more/less limited ports.

I don't believe outside of the SNES era Nintendo have really tried as much as it could to be an open door for third parties.

An enhanced third party support may not have made a big difference to the Wii U, but thats because the Wii U itself has far more issues of its own. Third party support is only a supplementary portion of the whole.

I don't think Nintendo tried in the SNES era, they just successfully bullied 3rd parties. When the PS released Sony were quite smart.. they knew they needed 3rd parties and did a good job of getting a number of titles on their system and they marketed it really well.

I think Nintendo need to liaise with 3rd parties, hopefully they have been even whilst games haven't been coming to the Wii U. They need to understand 3rd parties positions and make sure that as far as is possible they are able to create a solution that enables the next home console to get good solid support.

After the Wii they got over confident, the Wii U hopefully has humbled them internally... the fact (I presume it is if miyamoto is stating it publicly) that miyamoto is less involved with hardware suggests to me that some changes HAVE been made internally.

Nintendo need to address their image... the Wii U isn't ugly imo.. it just isn't particularly attractive. They need to make a box that looks the business.

They need to make a console that IS the business.

They need to garner enough external support to get a steady stream of games to complement their own software out put.

Getting PS/XB only gamers on side... tbh I think I agree with Ronnie, it's a lost cause.

I disagree with him on the cheaper option though. What I think Nintendo need to do is enable people who buy Nintendo first and then PS/XB second to be a Nintendo only owner.

They might be able to lure a few PS/XB first Nintendo 2nd owners to switch too, but they would need a strong 3rd party showing from the word go, and I don't see that.

I remember when I first got my Wii U I was aghast at the load times with games such as lego city and splinter cell.. I loved lego city, but I don't play it these days because of those load screens... I hope next console will be a lot quicker with load times (that is something I loved with the GC, super quick load times!)

In terms of graphics I'd like to see another jump...

Online... more stable. Voice chat would be nice. More improvements with Miiverse and connecting with friends, something a bit more uniform and familiar throughout the system.

Control scheme... I'd like out the box backward compatibility dropped, but if you have a sensor bar and remotes/gamepad they will connect to the next console.

NNID carries d/l games across to the new system.

I think Nintendo should be aiming for PS4/XB1 gamers.

Gamers are fluid and go to wherever they feel they get the best experience gaming.

When PlayStation launched nobody predicted Sony would eat so much into Nintendo and Sega's marketshare.

When the 360 launched nobody predicted it would steal so much of the PS2 audience. When PS4 launched they ate into the 360 market.

It's not a lost cause for Nintendo. If they produce the right console with the right content they can get PS4/XB1 gamers.

First and foremost Nintendo need to be aiming for the core gamer. The casual can come afterwards, produce a console which core gamers would want.

Gamers are fluid and go to wherever they feel they get the best experience gaming.

When PlayStation launched nobody predicted Sony would eat so much into Nintendo and Sega's marketshare.

When the 360 launched nobody predicted it would steal so much of the PS2 audience. When PS4 launched they ate into the 360 market.

It's not a lost cause for Nintendo. If they produce the right console with the right content they can get PS4/XB1 gamers.

First and foremost Nintendo need to be aiming for the core gamer. The casual can come afterwards, produce a console which core gamers would want.

While I do actually agree with this, I think Nintendo will be launching the NX at the wrong time. The majority of gamers will be pretty established in their choices by then and have their gaming groups that they will want to play online with. Im sure there could be some that move over but these kind of big shifts happen at the start of generations.

The difference is that PlayStation was a new brand. Xbox was a new brand. To an extent, the Wii was a new brand in itself. Nintendo's situation is different to what was achieved with the PlayStation and Xbox as they were both new to the market.

Nintendo aren't new to the market. They've been in it for such a long time and people will have their own viewpoints on them as a company. It's harder for them to turn it around since they basically have to change the viewpoints of a lot of gamers. We're even seeing it here. How are Nintendo going to show and prove to the gamers that the machine will be getting third party support three or four years into the new system's life, for example? How are they going to win back FIFA onto their system? Changing the public opinion towards Nintendo will be just as hard as both of these questions and it'll require a LOT of work.

While I do actually agree with this, I think Nintendo will be launching the NX at the wrong time. The majority of gamers will be pretty established in their choices by then and have their gaming groups that they will want to play online with. Im sure there could be some that move over but these kind of big shifts happen at the start of generations.

Very true. Launching mid generation is an issue but unfortunately Nintendo have no choice. The Wii U won't carry them through to 2018-2019. They are stuck as two years later the competition will launch more powerful consoles. The Wii U really has left them in vulnerable position.

My worry is Nintendo release a console which isn't even as powerful as XB1 so immediately it's dead on arrival as it will be weaker than the consoles released 2 years earlier.

If Nintendo do what Nintendo normally do and release the NX then I don't think it'll sell anywhere near enough to force Sony or Microsoft's hand at releasing another console anytime too soon.

Think this post on neogaf is interesting regarding what happened with the Wii U.

Originally Posted by Arkam

Basically. They told us (by us I mean the company bigwigs) that it was very similar to the Xbox360 but with more power. They said it would be easy to port current games on ps3/360 with ease and have plenty of resources to enhance them. Then the corporate head office got the first dev kit and ran some benchmarks... It was pretty disappointing. But even then we held out hope that the iteration they got was the real deal. Then our kit arrived and confirmed that the wiiu was not the box we had expected.

We ultimately cancelled all our planned wiiu games due to this. We had not allocated the resources to completely rebuild our projects to span wiiu and 360/ps3. A couple of our studios did eventually do some late ports that turned out ok, but took too large of a resource to accomplish and sold poorly.

All that said I am a huge nintendo fan still (play tons of wiiu) and very hopeful of the NX. If Nintendo is being honest with third party and they like it, they might just woo them back.

Really is crazy Nintendo released and console not taking into account what third parties require.

Think Wii U production costs got so high they ended up cutting corners elsewhere resulting in a less powerful console than third parties were led to believe.

Edited by liger05

My worry is Nintendo release a console which isn't even as powerful as XB1 so immediately it's dead on arrival as it will be weaker than the consoles released 2 years earlier.

The Wii wasn't dead on arrival because it was weaker than PS3 or 360. Nintendo have proved it doesn't need the best specs to make the best games. The only thing it would need XB1/PS4 power for are multiplatform ports, but I still maintain nobody buys a Nintendo console for those.

I really think if people are expecting PS4 or XB1 levels of power they're going to be very disappointed. At least with the current regime in charge of Nintendo. They'd be far better off positioning themselves as an affordable second console with a fantastic library of games. The added gimmick of being able to carry on playing the same game on the go will be a huge draw, especially if the price is low.

No one buys a Nintendo console for multiplatform ports because we can reasonably expect that 3rd parties will ignore Nintendo. The Wii had great games, but it was a gimmick that allowed it to sell so well. For me to play other games like DMC, Bayonetta, Demons Souls ect. I had to go elsewhere. No More Heroes and Mad World weren't enough. If the games game to it I'd happily play things like Bloodborne or Diablo 3 or Destiny on the Wii U. As it is that's not going to happen. It's not entirely about the power, but it partly is.

If people could get away with just buying a single system and getting all (most) the games they want, they would. That goes for Nintendo systems too, but it's been so long that buying Nintendo is like saying you don't want multiplat.

The Wii wasn't dead on arrival because it was weaker than PS3 or 360. Nintendo have proved it doesn't need the best specs to make the best games. The only thing it would need XB1/PS4 power for are multiplatform ports, but I still maintain nobody buys a Nintendo console for those.

I really think if people are expecting PS4 or XB1 levels of power they're going to be very disappointed. At least with the current regime in charge of Nintendo. They'd be far better off positioning themselves as an affordable second console with a fantastic library of games. The added gimmick of being able to carry on playing the same game on the go will be a huge draw, especially if the price is low.

The Wii was genie in a bottle. Nintendo themselves never expected the Wii to blow like it did.

The whole affordable second console thing sounds good but how many consoles they going to shift?

20 million GameCube wasn't enough. 10 million Wii U isn't enough. I'm not convinced some low powerful console well sell enough to satisfy Nintendo and there shareholders.

:shakehead

If Nintendo's next home console doesn't at least have PS4/XB1 levels of power I'm not going to but it.

I have a Wii U, that's the Nintendo console that is weaker than the PS4/XB1.

Out of interest... beyond hyperbole etc, the Wii U is marginally more powerful than the PS3/X360, right? Just not across the board as I understand it...though I really don't pay attention to that these days

Im gonna go back to my idea from a few years ago. Nintendo should suprise everyone and just release the SNES 2. Totally remove themselves from the current console scene. Whatever the NX turns out to be, I very much doubt I'll be buying it. If they released the SNES 2 I would totally buy that! :p

Nintendo have to first change their own attitude about certain aspects before they can hope to win over parts of the market.

As a Nintendo only (home console) gamer, mainly due to financial reasons, I would love more third party support. The kind Nintendo can't supply, real sports, racing and mature games and GTA!

I'd love the ability to have a Nintendo console for all my gaming needs.

Free yoooo mind, du.

Like @liger05 pointed out, we gamers can be pretty fickle and buy whatever we feel will entertain us.

Nobody buys a Nintendo console for multiplats, well, because there aren't any. Nintendo MUST change this perception that has lingered for about two gens - and I think they are capable and I hope the failings of the Wii U have opened their eyes.

The GC had a decent multiplatform stream (top of my head: Def Jam Vendetta, Fight for NY, Need for Speeds, Burnout, sports) - and the exclusives were almost out of this world when you compare to todays state of things to then (Metal Gear Solid: TS, Final Fantasy:CC, Capcom Vs SNK, The whole RESI series, REmake, Capcom 5, Soul Calibur 2 etc etc.

I think people will be pretty lenient with a Nintendo home console that at least TRIES to cater for various tastes.

Edited by King_V

Free yoooo mind, du.

Like @liger08 pointed out, we gamers can be pretty fickle and buy whatever we feel will entertain us.

Nobody buys a Nintendo console for multiplats, well, because there aren't any. Nintendo MUST change this perception that has lingered for about two gens - and I think they are capable and I hope the failings of the Wii U have opened their eyes.

The GC had a decent multiplatform stream (top of my head: Def Jam Vendetta, Fight for NY, Need for Speeds, Burnout, sports) - and the exclusives were almost out of this world when you compare to todays state of things to then (Metal Gear Solid: TS, Final Fantasy:CC, Capcom Vs SNK, The whole RESI series, REmake, Capcom 5, Soul Calibur 2 etc etc.

I think people will be pretty lenient with a Nintendo home console that at least TRIES to cater for various tastes.

The good thing about those third party games is that they weren't gimped in any way. You were getting the same game as the other systems. I can't tell you how heart breaking it was as a Wii owner to see the PS3 and 360 get that super fucking awesome Ghostbusters game and then...seeing the one that us Wii-only owners ended up getting. I died inside.

Anyway, Nintendo owners might not buy a Nintendo system for third parties, but it would sure make life a lot easier if they could play the big games on one system. It would have been more cost effective for myself to only own one system, for example. With that money I spent on another, I could have just bought more games. They are important because they add depth to the library and they'll fill the gaps with content that Nintendo can't provide.

I will bet everyone here my shoes that anyone hoping for NX to be the console that wins back 3rd party games will be left sorely disappointed. I'm not even sure if Nintendo should be making a console. Or if anyone should. The ones we have now are literally just cheap underpowered PCs. 10 years from now I'm not convinced Playstation won't be a streaming service. One day you'll play Mario Kart through your Sony TV app, PCs will be a walnut you insert in your ear, and Nintendo will be a market leader in child-friendly medical droids.

While obvious and extremely simplistic, this is what Nintendo needs to offer; powerful and unique and price comparable to other home consoles. BUT if it is also Fusion they need to take into account mobile/tabs and give us something that holds enough sway that a "casual gamer" (who HAVE been buying Nintendo handhelds) chooses it over a tab/mobile or "as well as" for GAMING PURPOSES. Theme is nostalgia but new, is the way I describe it. Something that hooks Nintendo fans back, even those who were just around when the NES became a worldwide phenomena.

Do I think Nintendo's announced strategy of bite-sized games on mobile to temp people to get the full games on their main consoles will work? Actually yes, I think it will be moderately succesful. It'll definitely get some converts. So anyway...

NEEDS:

1) Either needs to be powerful Fusion handheld/home console or have cross-platform OS.

2) Cross-platform unified consoles account.

3) Keep Miis but update. Customisability maaaaassive. Usual gender/size/colour etc. Hats/tops/bottoms/shoes/accessories plus items/pets. Wuhu Island giant Mii land (just look up my username and similar posts for more detail).

4) Achievment system. I don't care what Miyamoto says IT DOES ADD TO A GAME. Especially if you're a creative fun lot like Ninty and can create many fun tasks. Various coins are the trophies gold/red/blue/star. Streetpass kept with many, many more games.

5) Cross-platform VC. NES/GB/SNES/GBC/GBA/N64/GC/DS/WII plus Nintendo Arcade. I am not shitting around on this, too many broken promises with Nintendo and VC. I get license issues...but that doesn't excuse missing first party, does it? The money that people WANT to spend on VC is massive but...well you KNOW what. Cross-platform buy.

6) BC if possible, though if not maybe some sort of shop for 3DS/Wii U.

7) BC controller box. A box that communicates with console with the standard wifi or whatever it is, that has plugs for...ALL past wired controllers. Nintendo then commision someone to make older controllers such as NES/SNES/N64/CUBE. Obviously you can use your old ones, too. Obviously for VC use. Maybe offer a multipack with one of each.

8) Packs to start. Solo pack. Mario pack...that comes with the new Mario NX game! Plus codes for money off the VC Mario games. Retro pack, that comes with retro joypad multipack and four VC games, one each of NES/SNES/N64/GC.

9) Sometime during its lifetime for first party; Mario 2D, Mario 3D, Zelda topdown, Zelda 3D, Metroid first person, Metroid sidescroller, Mario Kart, Nintendo Kart DLC expansion for Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Starfox, Kirby, Wario World (theme involves him going to all other Ninty game worlds an collecting/stealing their various treasures such a Hyrule and rupees/treasures, AC and their minable gems/coins etc. Such a good idea I want them to do...), F-Zero, Wave Race, Animal Crossing, Pikmin, Kid Icarus, Paper Mario, Mario and Luigi etc. You get the picture. Seem implausible? With them concentrating on ONE console their output doubles. So...

10) Get more second parties. Expand their own R&Ds more. Hire out third parties to make new games in series for "cheaper" that other companies aren't using like Megaman, Bomberman, Zombies Ate My Neighbours, Goemon, Ghouls 'n' Ghosts etc.

11) Third parties. Find some way to entice them for ports/exclusives. I won't hold my breath here. But unless Nintendo do a Fusion they CAN'T do this "two consoles" stuff on their own, without one of them suffering.

12) Keep Amiibos (money), but y'know GET BIGGER STOCKS. The only ones profiting from shortages are ebay bulk stock buyers. At least ensure YOU are the ones profiting from your OWN bloody product. Gives us more card Amiibos, too. Nintendo a card company, remember? From now on the toys should come with their card version, too. Do the big one...POKEMON!! Animal Crossing cards will be big, but Pokemon cards? DEAR GOD!! On top if that chuck Yo-Kai Watch cards THEN Monster Hunter cards and holy profits...

13) More online games. Monster Hunter. Phantasy Star Online. Mario Kart. Smash. Starfox. F-Zero. Wave Race etc. all should gave standard local/online multiplayer. Get SE to do a MMO World of Mana.

14) If it's Fusion, fine it will 100% get a Pokemon game, but if it isn't it STILL NEEDS a Pokemon game. Nobody's even asking for the main version to appear on it, but SOMETHING. Imagine a third person adventure remake of Pokemon Yellow with the sort of interactivity I mentioned in the Pokemon topic here? Dribbling yet? Sling a few "sneak preview" versions of upcoming Pokemon from the main series and you have a console that shifts off shelves at the speed of light.

couple of views that are somewhat conflicting but I hope y'all get the point.

I don't think power is what is going to make NX succeed, Nintendo's biggest successes have been their most inferior products when compared to rival hardware.

I think they need to gamble. Wii was a cheap console to build and thus sell and I'm sure a big part of it's success was the price tag, but if Wii was as powerful as PS3 and 360 it would have destroyed them. If Wii had the motion control craze and non-gimped versions of the big 3rd party games then there would have been very little reason to buy a PS3 or 360 and Wii would have probably done PS2 numbers.

If they believe in this new concept they should put their balls on the line and I think this could well be their last chance saloon for the console market.

5) Cross-platform VC. NES/GB/SNES/GBC/GBA/N64/GC/DS/WII plus Nintendo Arcade. I am not shitting around on this, too many broken promises with Nintendo and VC. I get license issues...but that doesn't excuse missing first party, does it? The money that people WANT to spend on VC is massive but...well you KNOW what. Cross-platform buy.

I agree with much of what you said but I have to jump in here. They're not missing much. There are very few first party NES and SNES games that remain missing from the Wii U VC lineup and N64, GBA & DS are in progress.

They have implied cross platform buy is coming, including Wii U so it'd work at launch of NX, though.

I don't think power is what is going to make NX succeed, Nintendo's biggest successes have been their most inferior products when compared to rival hardware.

Improved power will help the NX succeed - in the sense that it may present an ease for third parties to port to.

No extra time and money spent on finding out how to downgrade (or apply motion controls or to place on mini discs or cartridges) a port for a Nintendo system, which may possibly present little to no return, due to the fact that the product is inferior.

Keeping fairly uniform with 2/3 of your competitors is a good thing if you want a similar share of games.

Unless Nintendo are going to make another gimmick console for an audience that doesn't stick around for long - the console HAS to be geared towards third party games. I think its that simple and Nintendo have showed that they are unable to pump out the number and variety of games thats needed if they want to go it alone.

Edited by King_V
Automerged Doublepost