NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Is that some kind of joke?

I can actually see what he means in this case. The gameplay of TLOU was a bit clunky and it was mainly about planning how to use your limited resources effectively. I can understand why someone would think that would translate poorly to multiplayer.

It's actually the main reason I didn't play the multiplayer. That and the fact that I'm just not a fan of most online shooters.

I believe that, at least for the Wii U, the games all feel the same.

Had Nintendo made 46 completely varied games in every conceivable genre, mixing realistic with arcade, new franchises with old, staples with long-dormant franchises, people wouldn't complain so bad and the console would sell accordingly.

As is now, Nintendo announced and released mostly games for casuals for the systems first year on the market.

For the NX, Nintendo need to do the same as they did with the Wii: at the very unveiling of the system, they need to clearly state that we'll see most of our favorite franchises within 18 months of launch. Then they need to maintain a packed release schedule for the duration of the systems lifespan.

I disagree. The Nintendo published titles are ridiculously varied. I could do a list if you want, but I don't want to resort to list wars.

I can actually see what he means in this case. The gameplay of TLOU was a bit clunky and it was mainly about planning how to use your limited resources effectively. I can understand why someone would think that would translate poorly to multiplayer.

It's actually the main reason I didn't play the multiplayer. That and the fact that I'm just not a fan of most online shooters.

Exactly. They did it fairly well, but it just wasn't necessary.

Point is, it didn't translate poorly. So was it shoehorned? I don't think so.

Would it have made it into the game if it was bad? Who knows but it's doubtful considering ND's pedigree. When it comes down to it, how is anyone going to innovate if they don't risk failure? Considering Serebii goes on about innovation, you think he'd understand this.

As for if it's a necessary mode? What the hell does 'necessary' mean? It's a game. Great games go above and beyond what is 'necessary'.

I believe that, at least for the Wii U, the games all feel the same.

Had Nintendo made 46 completely varied games in every conceivable genre, mixing realistic with arcade, new franchises with old, staples with long-dormant franchises, people wouldn't complain so bad and the console would sell accordingly.

2D platformer, 3D platformer, survival horror, Lego adventure, real time strategy, superhero action, Zelda adventure, kart racer, hack and slash, mini maze puzzler, retro challenge collection, team based multiplayer shooter, openworld RPG, arcade space shooter, level creator, sports, third person shooter, beat-em-up/brawler, JRPG, party game, arcade minigame collection, puzzle platformer...?

How much variety do you want? A lack of variety hasn't exactly hindered PS4 or Xbox One in terms of sales.

2D platformer, 3D platformer, survival horror, Lego adventure, real time strategy, superhero action, Zelda adventure, kart racer, hack and slash, mini maze puzzler, retro challenge collection, team based multiplayer shooter, openworld RPG, arcade space shooter, level creator, sports, third person shooter, beat-em-up/brawler, JRPG, party game, arcade minigame collection, puzzle platformer...?

How much variety do you want? A lack of variety hasn't exactly hindered PS4 or Xbox One in terms of sales.

Ronnie give it a rest. Two threads you've now derailed with this variety talk.

Point is, it didn't translate poorly. So was it shoehorned? I don't think so.

Would it have made it into the game if it was bad? Who knows but it's doubtful considering ND's pedigree. When it comes down to it, how is anyone going to innovate if they don't risk failure? Considering Serebii goes on about innovation, you think he'd understand this.

As for if it's a necessary mode? What the hell does 'necessary' mean? It's a game. Great games go above and beyond what is 'necessary'.

I think it was shoehorned in. Shoehorned in doesn't necessarily mean it was bad. Just because it wasn't necessary and put in anyway doesn't mean it is either a risk or innovative. You use those words but I don't think you understand what they mean.

Ronnie give it a rest. Two threads you've now derailed with this variety talk.

How am I derailing this thread? Someone said the Wii U lacks variety, I responded to that post. They're both fairly general threads anyway.

No game 'needs' online - but its a modern easy fix mode to expand on a naturally short-lived game.

Pikmin 3 was shorter than 2 and some sort of online challenge would have had me playing it to this day. I imagine attach rates to the console would have improved.

I'd actually disagree with your first bit about no game needing online. I think some games do need it. Battlefield's multiplayer is impossible to do via splitscreen, so you'd have to go online. No online mode in that pretty much equals no game.

These days, I think online play should be seen as the go-to option for multiplayer. In a world where people can communicate with each other over great distances via text messaging, twitter and facebook, I think it's pretty much seen as necessary for videogames to feature online modes.

As for The Last of Us: I've never touched the multiplayer as I jumped onto something else as soon as I finished the singleplayer, but I've seen some videos of it and it does look pretty cool. Very strategic.

You use those words but I don't think you understand what they mean.

Well that's rude.

I don't remember insulting your intelligence.

You often come at me with passive aggressive statements. Do you not think I'd pick up on that?

I'd actually disagree with your first bit about no game needing online. I think some games do need it. Battlefield's multiplayer is impossible to do via splitscreen, so you'd have to go online. No online mode in that pretty much equals no game.

These days, I think online play should be seen as the go-to option for multiplayer. In a world where people can communicate with each other over great distances via text messaging, twitter and facebook, I think it's pretty much seen as necessary for videogames to feature online modes.

As for The Last of Us: I've never touched the multiplayer as I jumped onto something else as soon as I finished the singleplayer, but I've seen some videos of it and it does look pretty cool. Very strategic.

I agree - but I meant that in the sense that a game is a game even without online - if that makes sense. As in, its not a fundamentally required feature so long as there is an offline mode.

I agree to an extent with @Serebii that not all games should have online tacked on just because its there... Like a classic Resi Evil game having some shoot-em-up co-op mode - which just doesn't (I wouldnt think) add anything to that classic one-player, alone in this mansion feel.

BUT Real-time strategy, shoot-em ups, racing, sport, fighting games are primed for an online mode - and in Nintendo's case they need every opportunity they can get to have a respectable online presence.

I can't help but think back to Iwata's "the NX isn't a replacement for the Wii U or 3DS" comment. I wouldn't be surprised for it to be quite cheap (given Miyamoto's comments that the Wii U is too expensive) and for it to be a third pillar like the DS was originally.

re: games having online/multiplayer shoehorned in; goldeneye's multiplayer wasn't meant to have existed, and was a last-minute shoe-horn to placate somoneoneorother. The eventual success was pretty good, right? That's the sort of thing Daft is talking about.

Counter to that; bioshock had a multiplayer that was pretty weak, and was (I'd say) part of a generation of games that pushed multiplayer, and suffered from using achievements as a way to get people to put more hours into the online mode because any latecomer to the game found that there was no residual community. Everyone just played the MP to get the achievements and left.

It's kind of why I can understand the Federation Force angle Nintendo's gone. Ninty's been all about multiplayer for a long time. People are just pissed because they wanted something else, and because they feel a bit dirty because nintendo seem to be using the metroid brand to push this new game rather than invest more money in developing a wholly new universe to set the game in.

I think Nintendo is, in a way, right to pursue their own business model of "the customer doesn't know what they want yet" but they will always be open to criticism because of this. They will never give gamers what they want because, frankly, they don't know how to create the game everyone wants. They can't tick all of the boxes all of the time. But they can focus on doing what they know best.

Unfortunately this means alienating a lot of non-loyal gamers, who have been argued elsewhere in this forum as spoilt, or expectant gamers.

Truth is you can't have everything. But just as nontendo gamers are missing out on the pure fun and joy of Ninty games (,my perception,) being a loyalist does mean missing out on the third party games, and how those studios do try to give gamers what they claim to want -- even if it means overshooting the mark or completely misunderstanding the gamers' desires. There are enough games, IPs and genres out there to be satisfied. The fickleness of loyalty for other consoles and PC is actually really good for competition -- which is really good for enjoyment.

Mild semi-rant here, apologies. I've been lurking on these boards more than others for a fair while, so I'm sorry if my comment is misplaced.

ALBW is one of the best Zelda games, any reviewer that looks down on it just because its top down aka an old style is an idiot (on invariably i've seen the same ones praise indie games that are side scrollers)

Well yes, I pesonally found ALBW amazing and super fun. Why would anyone mark it down for being topdown? What kind of Zelda fan would mark it down for THAT? Most Zelda fans are of the midframe we WANT 3D and topdown Zeldas. Hell, I'd like a sidscroller Zelda like 2, if possible. The same way we want 2D and 3D Mario games. The same way we WANT 2D and 3D Metroid games.

re: games having online/multiplayer shoehorned in; goldeneye's multiplayer wasn't meant to have existed, and was a last-minute shoe-horn to placate somoneoneorother. The eventual success was pretty good, right? That's the sort of thing Daft is talking about.

Counter to that; bioshock had a multiplayer that was pretty weak, and was (I'd say) part of a generation of games that pushed multiplayer, and suffered from using achievements as a way to get people to put more hours into the online mode because any latecomer to the game found that there was no residual community. Everyone just played the MP to get the achievements and left.

It's kind of why I can understand the Federation Force angle Nintendo's gone. Ninty's been all about multiplayer for a long time. People are just pissed because they wanted something else, and because they feel a bit dirty because nintendo seem to be using the metroid brand to push this new game rather than invest more money in developing a wholly new universe to set the game in.

I think Nintendo is, in a way, right to pursue their own business model of "the customer doesn't know what they want yet" but they will always be open to criticism because of this. They will never give gamers what they want because, frankly, they don't know how to create the game everyone wants. They can't tick all of the boxes all of the time. But they can focus on doing what they know best.

Unfortunately this means alienating a lot of non-loyal gamers, who have been argued elsewhere in this forum as spoilt, or expectant gamers.

Truth is you can't have everything. But just as nontendo gamers are missing out on the pure fun and joy of Ninty games (,my perception,) being a loyalist does mean missing out on the third party games, and how those studios do try to give gamers what they claim to want -- even if it means overshooting the mark or completely misunderstanding the gamers' desires. There are enough games, IPs and genres out there to be satisfied. The fickleness of loyalty for other consoles and PC is actually really good for competition -- which is really good for enjoyment.

Mild semi-rant here, apologies. I've been lurking on these boards more than others for a fair while, so I'm sorry if my comment is misplaced.

Misplaced? Certainly not... insightful though, I personally enjoyed reading your views on the matter as they make a lot of sense. :)

It's true that Goldeneye multi-player was a last-minute inclusion, in an interview with Grant Kirkhope recently I recall him saying that they effectively persuaded Nintendo to keep it in because they had already included it, the success this brought was phenomenal so I've been all for alternative multi-player games or modes ever since even if I don't seem to get the time to invest in them as much nowadays.

Bioshock is a brilliant counter-argument, upon first playing that mode I felt that it was really well integrated as it felt like you were moving seamlessly from the game into the multi-player thanks to that brilliantly designed hub inbetween, unfortunately it seemed to count for nothing because as you say once people had the achievements they simply weren't interested any longer.

Now that the dust has settled, I can understand the thinking behind Metroid Prime: Federation Force as who wouldn't want an online co-operative game with shooter elements set within the Metroid universe with an additional, more traditional multi-player mode as well? It makes perfect sense even if it is a bit amiss of them to market it in such a way, from another perspective it's actually completely fine because you aren't playing as Samus but rather as a federation trooper; I'm OK with this because I know that we'll be getting another more traditional Metroid game at some point in the future but I fully expect this to become a new off-shoot IP for Nintendo which they'll carry over to the next console, just like with Splatoon which is another excellent example. :D

You're right, to an extent we as gamers are spoilt, in some ways we can be ever-expectant but while it's not wrong to have certain expectations I think sometimes we need to just take a step back and try to enjoy what we have because sometimes it seems like we are simply never satisfied. Currently I have a huge backlog of games across multiple systems which I'll quite possibly be hard-pushed to finish in my lifetime... yet why do I crave more? There's something deeply disturbing about that yet I shrug it off as just a trait of being a long-term gamer. ::shrug:

I've been a multi-format gamer for some time now, indeed I always have been because I don't want to miss out as each platforms exclusives have something different to offer, I think for Nintendo's next console they can do really well if they continue to develop both existing and new IP's in addition to listening to what their fans want in conjunction with their "the customer doesn't know what they want yet" attitude which you mentioned because sometimes they know what we want while other times they can come across as being desperately out of touch with the consumer; it's all part of how Nintendo have come to be over the years due to their experience because they've been around for over a century but only really within the past thirty or so years have they really been a creator of games and hardware.

I'm definitely interested to see how things pan out, I'd love for Nintendo to come out with a new console which manages to deliver a variety of games featuring IP's which are old and new with a focus on multi-player where it's required but which has a more simple setup like the N64 where up to 4 players can just pick up a controller in order to play while not forgetting that online needs to be just as important which their new partnership with DeNA should hopefully ensure. Of course we all still expect them to deliver those amazing single player experiences in addition to having all of their old games available "just because" - which shouldn't be a problem thanks to the Virtual Console -but multi-player is certainly an area in which Nintendo was once at the forefront and I think for their next console they'll be in a strong position to do so once again, how it will all play out though remains to be seen but I certainly still have faith in them.

I think sometimes we need to just take a step back and try to enjoy what we have because sometimes it seems like we are simply never satisfied..

That's pretty much where I've been all year :smile:

I've been through a lot of games this year that I've owned for a long time, yet hadn't played or finished them, and have been having a great time :yay: The Wii U has been injecting the odd gem into my schedule every now and then, such as Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Splatoon and Kirby & The Rainbow Paintbrush with Yoshi's Woolly World on the way this week!

There's definitely more than enough to keep me going, especially when you consider the amount of games it would be great to go back and revisit. I recently played Starfox Assault, for example, and though I may have cleared it all those years ago, I didn't remember most of it so it felt quite fresh to me :grin:

Ultimately, it's nice to have new and exciting games to look forward to, and I was as disappointed by Nintendo's Digital Event as anyone, but while we may not have a huge amount of amazing games to look forward to over the next 12 months, those classics that we've all built up over the years aren't going anywhere. Take some time out and enjoy them : peace:

That's pretty much where I've been all year :smile:

I've been through a lot of games this year that I've owned for a long time, yet hadn't played or finished them, and have been having a great time :yay: The Wii U has been injecting the odd gem into my schedule every now and then, such as Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Splatoon and Kirby & The Rainbow Paintbrush with Yoshi's Woolly World on the way this week!

There's definitely more than enough to keep me going, especially when you consider the amount of games it would be great to go back and revisit. I recently played Starfox Assault, for example, and though I may have cleared it all those years ago, I didn't remember most of it so it felt quite fresh to me :grin:

Ultimately, it's nice to have new and exciting games to look forward to, and I was as disappointed by Nintendo's Digital Event as anyone, but while we may not have a huge amount of amazing games to look forward to over the next 12 months, those classics that we've all built up over the years aren't going anywhere. Take some time out and enjoy them : peace:

I couldn’t agree with this more! I got my WiiU, funnily enough, exactly a year ago. I kind of burned out on my love for gaming during the Wii era, only playing through Skyward Sword and a couple of other big hits, but the WiiU and 3DS have made me completely fall in love with it again (read: Nintendo). The Wii U is hands down my favourite console of all time. I absolutely love this machine. It has, by far, the best editions of Mario Kart, Smash Bros and Zelda (by this I obviously mean the spectacular Wind Waker HD). I was late to the party, and thus have a lot of catching up to do. I haven’t even touched Pikmin 3, DKCR:TF or Zombi U. I’m still to buy Kirby, Toad and Splatoon, but I know, given the quality of the other releases, there will be countless hours to lose myself in. Have I even mentioned the indie games and virtual console? I’m halfway through both Prime Trilogy and Earthbound (still).

I was as disappointed as the next guy with the Digital Event (who wasn’t waiting for a megaton?), but you know what, it didn’t bother me, because it’s not physically possible to have played through EVERYTHING Nintendo have released on the Wii U and 3DS, and the upcoming games do tick most boxes. The overreaction online was mind-boggling. We all know Nintendo has changed, sure, we may not appreciate the way they go about it, but they’re still innovating and still giving us great games, that in my humble opinion, is undeniable. Take Hyrule Warriors for instance. I never in a million years thought I’d sink over 60 hours into a Muso game, yet here I am. A perfect example of Nintendo’s new approach to the dreaded “third party situation.” I speak only for myself, but I am more than happy to relinquish full 3rd party support for games such as this, Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta. Steam is available to those who want something a bit different and (if they don’t have an expensive PC) take a graphical hit in comparison to the sister consoles. I know I don’t need a PS4 for PES, Skyrim, Minecraft or a non-descript shooter, should the urge arise.

The thought of a hybrid excites me greatly. Having a “Nintendo” console with 30 years of history that can be used at home and on-the-go is a mouthwatering prospect to any true Nintendo fan-boy. Nintendo have never, ever been about anything but gameplay and experiences and I would give me left arm for such a device, whether it was in HD or not. The business model is being forced to change, and I for one am excited to see what they have up their sleeve. Hell, my goddamn obsession with Pokemon shuffle is evidence enough of that. I’ll certainly pick up some games shown in the direct and skip others, but for now, the Wii U is unique enough, familiar enough, online enough and “Nintendo” enough to satisfy my gaming needs for the next couple of years.

TL;DR: Appreciate what you’ve got, because basically, I’m fantastic.

I couldn’t agree with this more! I got my WiiU, funnily enough, exactly a year ago. I kind of burned out on my love for gaming during the Wii era, only playing through Skyward Sword and a couple of other big hits, but the WiiU and 3DS have made me completely fall in love with it again (read: Nintendo). The Wii U is hands down my favourite console of all time. I absolutely love this machine. It has, by far, the best editions of Mario Kart, Smash Bros and Zelda (by this I obviously mean the spectacular Wind Waker HD). I was late to the party, and thus have a lot of catching up to do. I haven’t even touched Pikmin 3, DKCR:TF or Zombi U. I’m still to buy Kirby, Toad and Splatoon, but I know, given the quality of the other releases, there will be countless hours to lose myself in. Have I even mentioned the indie games and virtual console? I’m halfway through both Prime Trilogy and Earthbound (still).

I was as disappointed as the next guy with the Digital Event (who wasn’t waiting for a megaton?), but you know what, it didn’t bother me, because it’s not physically possible to have played through EVERYTHING Nintendo have released on the Wii U and 3DS, and the upcoming games do tick most boxes. The overreaction online was mind-boggling. We all know Nintendo has changed, sure, we may not appreciate the way they go about it, but they’re still innovating and still giving us great games, that in my humble opinion, is undeniable. Take Hyrule Warriors for instance. I never in a million years thought I’d sink over 60 hours into a Muso game, yet here I am. A perfect example of Nintendo’s new approach to the dreaded “third party situation.” I speak only for myself, but I am more than happy to relinquish full 3rd party support for games such as this, Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta. Steam is available to those who want something a bit different and (if they don’t have an expensive PC) take a graphical hit in comparison to the sister consoles. I know I don’t need a PS4 for PES, Skyrim, Minecraft or a non-descript shooter, should the urge arise.

The thought of a hybrid excites me greatly. Having a “Nintendo” console with 30 years of history that can be used at home and on-the-go is a mouthwatering prospect to any true Nintendo fan-boy. Nintendo have never, ever been about anything but gameplay and experiences and I would give me left arm for such a device, whether it was in HD or not. The business model is being forced to change, and I for one am excited to see what they have up their sleeve. Hell, my goddamn obsession with Pokemon shuffle is evidence enough of that. I’ll certainly pick up some games shown in the direct and skip others, but for now, the Wii U is unique enough, familiar enough, online enough and “Nintendo” enough to satisfy my gaming needs for the next couple of years.

Fantastic post. Please stick around and post more, this board could do with some of that

It's certainly a good console with (I agree) the best Zelda game. When the next one's out, it honestly could have the two best Zeldas.

I also think I'd miss the GamePad if it wasn't there. I've got so used to using it for the web browser, eShop etc. I'm not actually saying the next console should have one, but I can definitely see why they had the idea for it in the first place.

I downloaded a few SNES games the other day and they're absolutely brilliant on that 6" screen, and I love having GBA on there too. With the NX, I can't wait to boost my Virtual Console collection even more.

A Red Dwarf reference (S1, ep 2 "Queeg") always makes me grin. : peace: