NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

No I'm genuinely curious why he would want an amiibo if he hates them so much.

Because amazingly enough, he doesn't have a heart of stone.

yoshiyarnammibo_1.jpg

Seriously, you'd have to hate life and yourself to say No to that thing!

He likes the amiibo, so he bought the amiibo, big woop!

I don't get why people want an amiibo game. They don't add anything, if you're a kid, the interaction could be fun. How can people not see them for what they are? Trojan horses. People have spent hundreds of £'s on them. I would prefer games instead. If given the choice would you rather 3 Splatoon amiibo sitting on a shelf or spend that money on the game itself? Something you can play, you know a video game, what this whole hobby is about?

I may well wait to see NX for myself, not believe what Nintendo say but what the gaming sites have to say. If Nintendo fail to reveal the specs for a 3rd generation in a row prior to launch, there's probably trouble on the horizon.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't play an Amiibo game, I'm not interested in that AC one and, apart from my Splatoon one which has actually unlocked proper content, the 7 I have are purely for looking at on a shelf in my house.

From a business POV, why not trade off against people's desires to collect the Amiibo by having exclusive ones with the console, almost making people buy the console?

Shady? Yes. Grubby? Absolutely, but Nintendo shouldn't be afraid to get their hands dirty if they could shift the same amount of NX's in 6 months as they have Wii U's almost 3 years :)

I don't get why people want an amiibo game. They don't add anything, if you're a kid, the interaction could be fun. How can people not see them for what they are? Trojan horses. People have spent hundreds of £'s on them. I would prefer games instead. If given the choice would you rather 3 Splatoon amiibo sitting on a shelf or spend that money on the game itself? Something you can play, you know a video game, what this whole hobby is about?

I may well wait to see NX for myself, not believe what Nintendo say but what the gaming sites have to say. If Nintendo fail to reveal the specs for a 3rd generation in a row prior to launch, there's probably trouble on the horizon.

I agree with you about amiibo in most cases, but what I do like (if I have understood it properly) is what they did with Smash Bros. You have literally your fighter, whom you can improve a lot, make stronger and having something like that standing on a shelf, which you can look at and before you start playing you have to take it and scan it, you can almost bond with it...., it just ads to the experience. In the end, these are just games, so why not go all the way.

What I don't like is using the amiibo just for skins, or few levels which don't really change a lot. I would like if they start using it for a proper DLC I would understand it - I know, you can have the DLC cheaper if they don't have to build the amiibo, but I could understand that as it would look good at least. But of course, not all DLC's, as not everyone can get an amiibo.

I think if you ask most people who own amiibo they'll tell you they'd love to see a Skylanders style game that takes advantage of all of them.

I'm not on his ignore list, he's replied to me before. I'm just curious why someone who goes on and on (and on) about hating amiibos and how he wished they would die, has nevertheless ordered some.

Why do you insist on constantly ignoring us? I won't ban you from this thread yet as you haven't been your usual inflammatory self(not that you deserve any slack) - but next time I will.

And for the last time - WE CAN CHECK WHO IS ON IGNORE LISTS AND YOU ARE ON HIS. He doesn't want to talk to you, so stop trying to talk to him. I swear it's like you'll never learn.

The problem with any Nintendo Amiibo game is it's pointless if you can't get the Amiibo or have to pay god knows how much for it. XBC for example needing Shulk Amiibo to unlock content. Imagine a FULL GAME with content specific Amiibo you'll likely never be able to buy unless you fork out mega bucks or hunt down someone who already owns the one you're after. That's a mess.

I think Amiibo should be separate. I have a few models myself, they are decorative items nothing more. The neat thing with Amiibo is you can transfer real decoration into the virtual world. I like that. Getting figurines is expensive, I have a couple that are 1/4 the size of amiibo, lower quality, and they cost 1/2 as much with no NFC capability.

If people want to build huge collections cool, it's up to them.

What I would quite like would be if they did D/L codes for games in amiibo... buy a captain falcon in store, scan it in and you get a d/l of f-zero GX. Because I like to have something physical to show for my games, and if they get rid of the box... Although boxes are easier to store than amiibo :D

Cant Nintendo just make a seperate console dedicated for Amiibo thats cheap and not HD and the kids will want?

The Wii U didn't seem particularly kid-friendly with its fiddly gadget and cool look. Perhaps a Gamecube looking console for sub £100 just for Amiibo games - launch strong then drip feed - I see £££.

I'll never understand how people who don't buy amiibo are so wound up by them. Nice little figurines that unlock the most minor of features in-game. I know it's the usual hysterical bashing of anything Nintendo do but seriously, they're really not that big of a deal. They are however massively popular and any extra source of £££ Nintendo can get at the moment is a good thing. I'd love to see a dedicated Skylanders-like amiibo game on Wii U. Something like Smash but as a platformer maybe.

Cant Nintendo just make a seperate console dedicated for Amiibo thats cheap and not HD and the kids will want?

The Wii U didn't seem particularly kid-friendly with its fiddly gadget and cool look. Perhaps a Gamecube looking console for sub £100 just for Amiibo games - launch strong then drip feed - I see £££.

Or, they could not segment the market and include a small NFC reader in the console and that's it.

Yeesh, the way some of you talk, you'd think amiibo killed families. If you don't like amiibo, then fine. Don't buy them. The games are 100% complete without them unless designed solely for amiibo. The lack of purchasing amiibo in no way impedes your gameplay.

Wii U Mini: Achiipo Edition. :heh:

One thing that I've become weary of is Nintendo and their creation of "concept" consoles. What I mean by that is that they seem to (since the DS) come up with a console and an idea and then release games later on down the line which focus around this idea. So, dual screens, motion controls, whatever it is the WiiU is meant to do.

I didn't mind this too much as it was new and exciting during the DS and Wii era, but it's definitely fallen flat for me with the 3DS and WiiU. I'm worried the next console will be another one of these "concept" consoles and the problem is that suddenly there's pressure on everybody to create games that fit in with this idea or use the features in an interesting way, rather than actually focusing on being great games themselves.

Part of me is concerned that we won't see good results for these concepts until much later on in its life. I still don't think I've seen a 3DS game that I feel really uses the 3D well or a WiiU game that truly uses the controller in a unique way. I would be entirely comfortable with Nintendo just focusing on creating something a bit more traditional and just focusing on getting support for it, but I realise that this isn't going to happen.

One thing that I've become weary of is Nintendo and their creation of "concept" consoles. What I mean by that is that they seem to (since the DS) come up with a console and an idea and then release games later on down the line which focus around this idea. So, dual screens, motion controls, whatever it is the WiiU is meant to do.

I didn't mind this too much as it was new and exciting during the DS and Wii era, but it's definitely fallen flat for me with the 3DS and WiiU. I'm worried the next console will be another one of these "concept" consoles and the problem is that suddenly there's pressure on everybody to create games that fit in with this idea or use the features in an interesting way, rather than actually focusing on being great games themselves.

Part of me is concerned that we won't see good results for these concepts until much later on in its life. I still don't think I've seen a 3DS game that I feel really uses the 3D well or a WiiU game that truly uses the controller in a unique way. I would be entirely comfortable with Nintendo just focusing on creating something a bit more traditional and just focusing on getting support for it, but I realise that this isn't going to happen.

they've done this since day one, the NES had the zapper and the robo add on, SNES had the bazooka & multitap, N64 had a bizarre controller, the expansion port, the DD and let's not forget Virtual Boy. They've always tinkered for better or for worse . I would say in fairness to Wii U it has gamepad, motion controls and the pro controller so they have tried to cater for everybody this time around, only problem is nobody is making any games for it.

Or, they could not segment the market and include a small NFC reader in the console and that's it.

Yeesh, the way some of you talk, you'd think amiibo killed families. If you don't like amiibo, then fine. Don't buy them. The games are 100% complete without them unless designed solely for amiibo. The lack of purchasing amiibo in no way impedes your gameplay.

RE-fucking-LAX!

Its just a suggestion! Im not particularly against Amiibo and Im not particularly for it.

they've done this since day one, the NES had the zapper and the robo add on, SNES had the bazooka & multitap, N64 had a bizarre controller, the expansion port, the DD and let's not forget Virtual Boy. They've always tinkered for better or for worse . I would say in fairness to Wii U it has gamepad, motion controls and the pro controller so they have tried to cater for everybody this time around, only problem is nobody is making any games for it.

Yep. There's a reason places like IGN often endearingly refer to Nintendo as the crazy toy maker, they like to innovate and give us new things. We also don't need a third identical console to the other two, though I suppose it would help with third parties.

Yep. There's a reason places like IGN often endearingly refer to Nintendo as the crazy toy maker, they like to innovate and give us new things. We also don't need a third identical console to the other two, though I suppose it would help with third parties.

Having a similar console to the rest wouldn't make Nintendo identical to them - In fact Nintendo would be the stand out company because of its IPs.

Imagine getting the same third party love as XB1 and PS4, coupled with a good stream and variety of Nintendo games...

This is why its a shame Nintendo have this psuedo stance of 'not competing' when they have the potential to dominate the market like they once did.

Im all for innovation but if its impeding your success in the greater scheme of things you need to get back to basics - and I think the strategy to Nintendo's success is VERY simple.

Having a similar console to the rest wouldn't make Nintendo identical to them - In fact Nintendo would be the stand out company because of its IPs.

Imagine getting the same third party love as XB1 and PS4, coupled with a good stream and variety of Nintendo games...

This is why its a shame Nintendo have this psuedo stance of 'not competing' when they have the potential to dominate the market like they once did.

Im all for innovation but if its impeding your success in the greater scheme of things you need to get back to basics - and I think the strategy to Nintendo's success is VERY simple.

very true and the Wii U was in a position to do this, so it doesn't matter what NX is, without 3rd party support it's doomed.

very true and the Wii U was in a position to do this, so it doesn't matter what NX is, without 3rd party support it's doomed.

The Wii U wasnt in a position to do that. It was a slightly more powerful console than the current generation that was just ending. It needed to be on par with the PS4 and Xbox One not the PS3 and 360.

I think the best third party support would have come with the Gamecube if it used the standard DVD discs. When they do final rectify that with the Wii, they take two steps backward from a technical stand point and further break away from the rest with the motion controls. (rightly or wrongly).

I had hopes for the Wii U - Playing Assassins Creed and Batman was SUCH a breath of fresh air, like 'wow, Im playing a high quality third party game on a HD Nintendo console' - Felt like GTA coming to Nintendo...

But it went downhill so quickly from there.

This is why I suggested the possibility of making a cheap 'gimmick' console (motion controls, Amiibo..) aimed at the casual and kids to rake it in, whilst still producing a powerful system with bigger games and in tandem with the PS4 and XB.

Would also help cure this mess with all the wii remote, classic controller, classic pro etc etc ways of playing.

Edited by King_V

The NES zapper and Robo were exactly that, they were add ons. So, they're not the same because the entire system wasn't built around these controllers. The N64 controller was unusual, but the controller didn't really contain anything unusual enough that forced Nintendo or third parties to think differently about the system. In fact, I'd argue about them using cartridges instead of discs was the bigger issue and that was what hampered their support, not the controller.

They may have tinkered and dabbled in a few things here and there, but they've taken that to a new level with anything they've made from the DS onwards where the entire philosophy and focus of the system has been on the controller first.

I think the best third party support would have come with the Gamecube if it used the standard DVD discs. When they do final rectify that with the Wii, they take two steps backward from a technical stand point and further break away from the rest with the motion controls. (rightly or wrongly).

I had hopes for the Wii U - Playing Assassins Creed and Batman was SUCH a breath of fresh air, like 'wow, Im playing a high quality third party game on a HD Nintendo console' - Felt like GTA coming to Nintendo...

But it went downhill so quickly from there.

This is why I suggested the possibility of making a cheap 'gimmick' console (motion controls, Amiibo..) aimed at the casual and kids to rake it in, whilst still producing a powerful system with bigger games and in tandem with the PS4 and XB.

Playing Arkham City was awesome on the WiiU and I was under the impression that this would lead to more games coming across. Unfortunately, the tech is still behind, so there's no chance of big games like Arkham Knight or The Witcher even coming.

Please stop making "erroneous" statements. Splatoon has content already on the disc but it's locked away behind amiibo. 60 challenges, equipment, weapons, minigames.

Mario Party 10 had a full mode locked away unless each New Super Mario series amiibo were bought.

Please stop making "erroneous" statements. Splatoon has content already on the disc but it's locked away behind amiibo. 60 challenges, equipment, weapons, minigames.

Mario Party 10 had a full mode locked away unless each New Super Mario series amiibo were bought.

My statement was not incorrect. Of course the content is on the disc, because NFC chips are incapable of storing great amounts of content. However, these are almost all extras which wouldn't exist without amiibo. The Splatoon challenges were just the single player levels with a different weapon or time limit. Hardly locked content.

amiibo Party on Mario Party 10 is pushing it, but when we have people demanding amiibo get more use, then it's going to get more use. You can't have it both ways.

You can't have it both ways.

I don't want it both ways. I want amiibo to die or at least be kept a million miles away from games. No just die.

n fact, I'd argue about them using cartridges instead of discs was the bigger issue and that was what hampered their support, not the controller.

I think the best third party support would have come with the Gamecube if it used the standard DVD discs.

I guess the stubborness is pretty telling when it takes two generations to rectify an issue that alienates a good segment of the industry from putting games on your machine.

I need to start being optimistic, but the constant mistakes from nintendo are piling up now.

I reckon FF7 will be due for release about the time NX/Zelda U comes and if thats so, well my attention will be drawn to the cheaper PS4, with its extensive library by then.

TBH Im not even that excited for Zelda based on Skyward Sword - which represents the only Zelda game I didn't and still will not complete due to its repetitive and formulaic design.

The NX needs to be something that currently Nintendo aren't, to 'succeed' (IMO).

I don't want it both ways. I want amiibo to die or at least be kept a million miles away from games. No just die.

Yeah, Nintendo should stop doing their successful thing from this generation which has generated over $100,000,000. Yeah totally.