NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

The new console is obviously a hybrid, so so obvious. Whether it's two devices or one package I don't know. But that's what it'll be. I say one package. Portable and home console.

The new console is obviously a hybrid, so so obvious. Whether it's two devices or one package I don't know. But that's what it'll be. I say one package. Portable and home console.

I would love that, but it would be quite expensive I suppose.

High res handheld with PS4 insides that can output 1080p? That won't be cheap so I can't see Nintendo going for it.

There's no chance Nintendo will create a PS4 level handheld, but having games scale back for a less powerful handheld would be a fair compromise, less effects, lower resolution would enable games run on both machines and save huge space on storage.

Take the portable home, data syncs and you play in HD with all the spangly effects they can throw at you.

The portable keeps your saves, data, ID which can be accessed at a friend house for local play. No sync buttons just tap NFC and you're logged in to you're friend machine.

giphy.gif

They have specifically said it's not a hybrid and have explained their plan for it.

They have specifically said it's not a hybrid and have explained their plan for it.

I don't get why people keep saying it's a hybrid.

We'll get one OS capable of running across multiple devices. They've already said this.

And you can download & install that OS onto your PS4, Xb1, PC, smartphones and tablets which will turn your device into a platform playing Nintendo games. No need for hardware, just a digitally distributed platform-independent OS and digital games.

All the games we've seen for WiiU are out Q4 2015 or sooner right? do we know of any other games coming in say Q1 2016?

If we don't would it be safe to say the first half of 2016 is the swan song of the WiiU and perhaps the end of 2016 could see an NX launch (even if its just Japan)

Lets try to be less negative and more speculative of a possible future, i think we've all done to death how bad Nintendo have been perceived to handle E3, but perhaps that s because lots of first and third party games are coming for NX and they obviously couldn't announce that.

I suspect its an apple like situation/PC like situation with Handheld/Console (NX) I suspect the games could run on any system running the os, with automatic graphics settings based on the hardware, but more than that, saves and games are cross system - so in a sense its separate and hybrid, its quite possible the handheld could be used as a second screen controller

The WiiU controller could sync with the main "console" perhaps for that second screen experience if you had one

Obviously i'd expect games made for dedicated hardware options but i suspect this is potentially how its a hybrid and not - the OS allows for games to potentially run on multiple hardware options

meh its one theory

Edited by Agent Gibbs

I suppose there are four options for how much power it'll have:

True Next Gen

Scenario: Nintendo gets the next gen started before anyone else with a machine that is PlayStation 5/Xbox 4 level

Verdict: Extremely unlikely

Late to the Party

Scenario: A PS4/Xbox One-level console that can run current-gen games (as long as the developers adapt to the architecture)

Verdict: Unlikely

Wii U Turbo

Scenario: What the Wii was to the GameCube. A machine that can easily play Wii U games, but gives Nintendo a chance to change controller.

Verdict: Possible

Step Back From Wii U

Scenario: The first stage of the NX platform is a handheld that can run facsimiles of Wii U games, but is not quite as powerful. Better machines will follow, and have exclusive games, but will absorb everything this handheld builds up in the first place.

Verdict: Likely

I dunno, I don't think we'll see any step backs.

We know NX is the OS platform that runs on a separate handheld and console device and that they share architecture, but they aren't going to step back.

Wii U is already a low power consumption device. Just "upgrade" it to be smaller and even less power hungry. I imagine the new device will be a Wii U +, the same power but locked 720p handheld.

With PC games back when I used to be a PC gamer, and I suspect it is the same to this day, it was possible to play around with different settings, principally visual parameters to change draw distance, resolution etc.

If Nintendo release the NX handheld, then later release the NX console with boosted specs, they could mirror games. Have NX console games all playable on the NX console, but relatively plain.

When the home console version releases, have all handheld games playable on the more powerful home console, just with simpler improvements, like a higher resolution and draw distance enabled. If a game is worth the investment sell DLC that comes packed in with enhanced textures.

Basically say have super mario 3D land on the handheld AND console (linked to NNID) and then have 3D world DLC available for the home console owners. When they buy it they also buy improved textures for 3d land.

Or maybe better, mario bros U on the handheld, buy luigi U and get the home console enhanced textures.

I guess in both instances a simpler scaled down version could be available for the handheld too.

They would still need specific advantages to owning both consoles, so take advantage of the portability provided from the handheld... improved graphics on the home console.. not really sure what else the console could provide but... maybe local multiplayer?

Have the handheld function like a virtual Wii U gamepad, for backwards compatibility.

If Nintendo want 3rd Party Devs onboard then it has to use similar architecture to it's competitors for ease of porting. It's the only way they will compete.

I know there's a lot of negativity around at the moment, but I have to say, I can't wait for the next Nintendo handheld. I love the idea of having something of similar power to the Wii U in my hands.

If Nintendo want 3rd Party Devs onboard then it has to use similar architecture to it's competitors for ease of porting. It's the only way they will compete.

Agreed. If they have spoken to 3rd parties about what they would like in a console then this will be the case. I fear they haven't done that though and will just do what they want.

To be fair to Nintendo, listening to the 3rd parties wouldn't lock those 3rd parties into supporting the console. Nintendo could invest a lot into a console that conforms to what 3rd parties want, only for PS5/X2 to do it a little better and the third parties ditch Nintendo again.

In that scenario Nintendo would be stuck with a piece of hardware that doesn't meet their own specifications AND isn't supported by 3rd parties. Having to learn how to make games using a new architecture would cause as big an issue for Nintendo as it would 3rd parties, we saw with Wii U it has taken them some time. So it would be Wii U 2 but worse, plus Nintendo at least put what suited them in the Wii U, that might not be the case with this theoretical 3rd Party Nintendo Machine...

Just been thinking a bit more, with shared architecture between the Wii U and NX, it's hugely likely that Zelda will be a cross platform game. I can almost imagine them making it a multiplayer zelda, with a bunch of links from different dimensions, so you can have a NX link play along with a Wii U link..

I am going to be surprised if the Zelda stall is not directly NX related in some way.

Didn't Nintendo do the Pro Controller due to Gearbox? Look what happened there.

It's not about the controller or thinking you'd "lock" the 3rd Parties into developing. It's about offering them far greater reduced costs in porting a game to their console. This is the only way Nintendo have a chance of getting 3rd Parties back.

It's all well and good if the console comes out a powerhouse, but if the architecture isn't similar enough to the other platforms then it'll still cost too much to port games across the platforms and so it's too big a barrier of entry.

They need to remove that barrier!

Didn't Nintendo do the Pro Controller due to Gearbox? Look what happened there.

That doesn't sound right. I think someone asked for it but I don't believe it was Gearbox. I think it was Activision.

They should have added analogue triggers. And Wii U needed a stand alone controller rather than forcing new adopters to the Wii family buying a Wii remote and a Pro controller along with the inconvenience of being tethered. Plus it added features like the clickable analogue sticks.

I suppose there are four options for how much power it'll have:

True Next Gen

Scenario: Nintendo gets the next gen started before anyone else with a machine that is PlayStation 5/Xbox 4 level

Verdict: Extremely unlikely

Late to the Party

Scenario: A PS4/Xbox One-level console that can run current-gen games (as long as the developers adapt to the architecture)

Verdict: Unlikely

Wii U Turbo

Scenario: What the Wii was to the GameCube. A machine that can easily play Wii U games, but gives Nintendo a chance to change controller.

Verdict: Possible

Step Back From Wii U

Scenario: The first stage of the NX platform is a handheld that can run facsimiles of Wii U games, but is not quite as powerful. Better machines will follow, and have exclusive games, but will absorb everything this handheld builds up in the first place.

Verdict: Likely

Excellent post - But it worries me as it feels like the same cycle happening again.

Nintendo could also be going for a cheap, gimmicky console with no real specs upgrade to make up for the losses of the Wii U.

I don't think Nintendo are confident enough to make a leading console in terms of power and specs and this will again naturally misalign Nintendo from Sony and Microsoft and third parties.

It almost seems like their fate have been sealed. Just can't see how they can prosper with a home console anymore.

But didn't they say that with normal controler they could have made a more powerful machine for the same price?

So just doing that change could allow them to make a better machine and risking to much.

But I have to say that I hope that they will keep the game pad as I love it and I don't understand how people can hate it or just not like it.

I wouldn't be against keeping the gamepad either.

Nintendo could get into a cycle where they bring out their consoles a year or two after the competition. That way they know what the competitions specs are and can trump them, the parts will be cheaper. they could see out the remaining 2 years supporting it the way they supported Wii U in the first 2 years, they should have a large userbase by then so 1st party software sales might be enough to sustain them. And there's always some developers that are late in moving onto the next generation so they could keep a bit of third party support going a little while longer.

Whatever the NX is, it has to at least match PS4and XBOX1, otherwise there's no point.

High res handheld with PS4 insides that can output 1080p? That won't be cheap so I can't see Nintendo going for it.

Fusion is a pretty popular theory. If Nintendo hasn't realised they can't rely on third parties by now, and that the workload is all on them and they simply don't have enough R&D to support full-time two consoles...then they must be blind. I would like to see...

A fusion console, hi-spec portable with output to HD TV for home play. The theme should be nostalgia/classic Nintendo with the focus being on new.

The VC should contain EVERY Nintendo console with extensive back catalogue, and be quick about it. I get it; they don't want to overwhelm, but they are missing out on so much fucking money from a full-on VC!

For them to buy more second parties for new IPs and hiring out for new games in their first IPs. They've had good success with second parties, so this is well likely.

To buy classic "used to be on Nintendo" unused IPs exclusive rights. Megaman? Super Ghouls'n' Ghosts? Sparkster Rocket Knight? World of Mana? etc.

Some sort of incentive from Nintendo to get translations done. Words cannot express how lacklustre SE has been. Combined US/EU sales easily cover translation costs for 3DS games, especially since most don't have voice overs. It's a decent treasure chest of money waiting for SE/Nintendo...but nobody can be bothered opening it. Things were geting better here for a while...then they just gave up.

Remasters. Some people shout cheap copout, but face it; fans of series like them, they sell well, make huge profit for effort put in. If Wii U had more of them their fans would be much happier. Nintendo dropped the ball here, no doubting it. The other companies are cashing in and laughing all the way to the bank.

REALIZE THIS. You are only alive now Nintendo because of legacy fans. If it wasn't for us, you'd be done. Seeking new users is fine, but you better damn be planning on satisfying us for keeping you afloat. There should be at least one of every major Nintendo IP in the starting planning stages. Even if they take a backseat, they should always be ready to go. There needs to be a 2D and a 3D Mario planned, a topdown and a third person Zelda, a 2D and a Prime style Metroid, a Mario Kart, an F-Zero, a Smash, a main Pokemon etc. to all other IPs as well as spinoffs. I'm not saying have them all being worked on at once, just mean there should never be any doubt that one will be coming? It's not a "do we make one this gen?", it's a "when do we make one this gen". Which means expanding more. Third parties cannot and should NOT be relied on. Great if they come, but Nintendo are being shown to be fools by now for relying on them.

Miis need updating now. It's time. My past idea of an online hub for Miis on a giant Wuhu Island with minigames/exploration, town hub/updates/events etc. should be the standard playground. I get it, if you saw my past posts on this your thoughts are probably "expensive". Sad to say, but introducing something like PS+/LIVE GOLD should thus happen. It wouldn't be necessary for normal online games and stuff, but it would be worth it with free VC game rentals and bonuses and such. New Mii custom clothes, pants, hats, accessories, Mii pets etc.

Streetpass needs to stay and be expanded, with extended spotpass, so that if you join a game with a friend you can essentially streetpass them without going out. Why? Even with relays, people are STILL losing out. Ability to turn this streetspotpass off to stop massive accumalations. I REALLY like the streetpass games, the console should come with 4 installed, with new ones released a few times a year in four packs.

Achievments. Coins, maybe? Gold coins for standard, red for medium, blue for hard, star coin for completion. Your total is saved, but coins can be spent on Mii stuff etc.

I know there's a lot of negativity around at the moment, but I have to say, I can't wait for the next Nintendo handheld. I love the idea of having something of similar power to the Wii U in my hands.

Nintendo handhelds have been their go to success for a long time now. Their home consoles bar a few games don't satisfy me as much as one of their handhelds.

Fusion isn't guaranteed, but I could at least see some sort of fusion crossbuy system if they still do consoles, like a big selection of their games are cross-rormat like Vita/PS4 does. Instant increase of available games across platforms.

I dunno, I don't think we'll see any step backs.

We know NX is the OS platform that runs on a separate handheld and console device and that they share architecture, but they aren't going to step back.

Shared OS is the presumed, fusion is the hoped for. All I know is, if it's a home console I won't get it until well into its life with many great Nintendo IPs out.

Edited by Mr_Master_X2
Automerged Doublepost

Not sure if this has been posted, but in this article Reggie references the fact that they've already announced they're working on their "next home console". Confirmation NX is a home console then?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/BL-DGB-42336

Also, 10.5 million Amiibo sold world wide, more Amiibo than Wii U consoles! Amiibo will play a massive part in the NX I'm sure

Amiibo will play a massive part in the NX I'm sure

Another tick in the "cons column" for me. Definitely won't get the next one on launch, to be honest they'll have to do a lot to get me to make purchase at all.

More than anything, I want amiibo to die. I want them to have nothing to do with the NX.