NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

and as @Happenstance said, the term "new system" was said multiple times within it.

No no, you can't bring him in here when his post was ultimately in agreement of what I'm saying:

I rewatched the announcement over the weekend and while I can notice now that they used the term "new system" a few times during the event, I remember still being confused during the actual announcement as I watched that live so I dont blame the journalists at all. Nintendo did a poor job of it and focused just that bit too much on the pad.

There's no reason why if the public didn't get it then some journalists wouldn't either. They're nothing special. Truth is, Nintendo should have been more clear, they should have opened by making a big deal and making it very clear it's "a new games console" and "a sequel to the Wii". Finally, they should have called it Wii 2 or not called it Wii at all. Their fault for not getting this across clear enough.

Edited by Sheikah

Yeah, let's just fault Nintendo, let's not fault the journalists who weren't doing their job as well.

Again, I'm not saying Nintendo are faultless, I'm just saying that journalists should have actually done their job, seen the materials sent before E3, LISTENED to the damn presentation they were covering and so forth.

Edited by Serebii

Yeah, let's just fault Nintendo, let's not fault the journalists who weren't doing their job as well.

If journalists leave with the wrong message then Nintendo have failed to deliver their message clearly. What's your alternative reason, the journalists secretly hate Nintendo and want to sabotage them?

Just because Nintendo mentioned it's a new system it doesn't mean they did their job. Part of getting the message across is to use emphasis and branding, not just words.

If journalists leave with the wrong message then Nintendo have failed to deliver their message clearly. What's your alternative reason, the journalists secretly hate Nintendo and want to sabotage them?

Just because Nintendo mentioned it's a new system it doesn't mean they did their job. Part of getting the message across is to use emphasis and branding, not just words.

Exactly. If Journalists and non journalists are confused then Nintendo haven't done a good job getting the point across.

Main problem is that when Nintendo first unveiled the Wii U, they didn't have a single game to show off.

During the second showing, the games shown didn't garner very much hype either. Pikmin and ZombiU were the only games that were even remotely exciting. Nintendo were launching what at the time was by a good margin the most powerful console available, yet they didn't have anything to show for it.

Another problem is Nintendos relationship to third party developers. If you look at EA's piss poor support of the console (Releasing Mass Effect 3 for the Wii U when the other formats got to buy the whole trilogy for the same money, releasing the already old Need for Speed five months after release, no Battlefield etc), I'd say that they abandoned the Wii U before they even had the first sales report.

Blame Nintendo. Remember this train wreck of an ad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dbGJieRaH0

This was their Wii U launch ad. Leaving aside the head wrecking music they concentrated on the gamepad mixed in with Wii remote controllers for extra confusion, it made it look like an add-on. The console was only briefly shown at the end hidden behind the gamepad and the console was similar looking to the Wii.

If the NX doesn't have party chat at an OS level I'll not be buying one brand new. I'll get one pre-owned and cheap when Zelda, Metroid or something of the like is out for it.

God I've lost so much faith in Nintendo this gen.

If the NX doesn't have party chat at an OS level I'll not be buying one brand new. I'll get one pre-owned and cheap when Zelda, Metroid or something of the like is out for it.

God I've lost so much faith in Nintendo this gen.

Agreed.

I've decided that I'll NEVER buy both a home and portable console again. I rarely carry around on it because it's bulky, I don't play it at home because frankly why would I play on an uncomfortable device with small screen when I can grab a nice and chunky controller (with proper analogue sticks) and play on my TV and whenever I do have an ocasion to play, I'm totaly bummed out that I'm investing time into a game I know I won't play again for several months.

The Wii U on the other hand has had a horrendous game drought throughout the systems lifetime. And I don't think I'd consider it so terrible if Nintendo would have augmented it with HD versions of 3DS games. Mario Kart 7 HD for launch? An option to cheaply download Starfox 64 3D and OoT 3D? Kid Ikarus HD? A straight HD port of Mario 3D Land for launch and a less... tiley looking 3D Mario a year later? While these games wouldn't have looked very next-gen in such a high resolution, I would have been more happy with my purchase.

Blame Nintendo. Remember this train wreck of an ad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dbGJieRaH0

This was their Wii U launch ad. Leaving aside the head wrecking music they concentrated on the gamepad mixed in with Wii remote controllers for extra confusion, it made it look like an add-on. The console was only briefly shown at the end hidden behind the gamepad and the console was similar looking to the Wii.

How bad was that. Amazing it was ever greenlit.

Last week, Nintendo announced it was working on a new "dedicated" platform by the name ofNintendo NX. Details on the this new system are virtually non-existent at present - and we're unlikely to know more until next year - but Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata has stated that it won't be a simple spec-bump over the Wii U.

Speaking to Nikkei, he lamented the current trend of simply boosting a new console's power and expressed the desire to "surprise" players:

However, if you only expand upon existing hardware, it's dull. In some shape or form, we're always thinking about how we want to surprise players as well as our desire to change each person's video gaming life.

The last time Nintendo achieved that aim was arguably with the Wii, which introduced the world to motion-based controls. Prior to that, there was the DS, one of the first gaming systems to use a touch-screen for input. Nintendo's latest console - the Wii U - has been something of a commercial failure, despite offering a unique dual-screen interface which allows for innovative, asymmetrical gameplay.

Gimmicks on the way then.

If journalists leave with the wrong message then Nintendo have failed to deliver their message clearly.

And yet, if a few laymen (such as myself) got the message, then so could the journalists.

If I misread a question in an exam, that's my fault, not the teacher's.

What's your alternative reason, the journalists secretly hate Nintendo and want to sabotage them?

The reason I'm giving is that gaming journalists are incompetent. I've attempted to get information on gaming announcements before, only to realise journalists were omitting a lot of information I was getting from forums.

The Wii U announcement was a particularly egregious case because they misunderstood the crux of what was being shown, but I remember seeing conflicting info regarding the XBone, as well, with different sites reporting different things about what was being said during the reveal.

And yet, if a few laymen (such as myself) got the message, then so could the journalists.

And yet Happenstance remembers being confused at the time. The fact some people get it and some don't shows that it wasn't clear at all.

If I misread a question in an exam, that's my fault, not the teacher's.

If you misread the question then you fucked up and you screw up your future. That's why you have to read the question very carefully.

If Nintendo brand their product the Wii U rather than Wii 2, don't open with a very clear message "this is a new games console, a sequel to the Wii", nor emphasise at the right points, they will suffer consequences if their product is not reported properly. That's why they have to be careful to get their message across.

The reason I'm giving is that gaming journalists are incompetent. I've attempted to get information on gaming announcements before, only to realise journalists were omitting a lot of information I was getting from forums.

The Wii U announcement was a particularly egregious case because they misunderstood the crux of what was being shown, but I remember seeing conflicting info regarding the XBone, as well, with different sites reporting different things about what was being said during the reveal.

See, here's a problem. You say they are incompetent and yet Nintendo were not exactly very clear about it. Certainly not as clear as they should have been. It's like saying that you know you're working with morons with listening comprehension difficulties yet chose not to spell things out super clearly to them.

A question to you - did journalists similarly report the appropriately named "PlayStation 4" to be an add on for the PS3, or a new console? If they said it was a new console, why might that be?

The answers to that question summarises everything I've already said here.

Doesn't matter the technicalities of what Nintendo said, and showed. It's what the audience/public get from jt, adn eceryne was fucking confused. How people can't see that his is ninte dos fsult shows that they don't understand how product launches/marketing/PR works as well as how business works.

I'd fire anyone who was responsible for marketing a product of mine, and the media/pub,it response was utter confusion, and when quizzed they said - the media were stupid, I expressed exactly what we're selling.... I'd be like - take some resposibility for once you fucking gimp! You fucked up! Seeya!

And yet Happenstance remembers being confused at the time. The fact some people get it and some don't shows that it wasn't clear at all.

I feel like ive just been called stupid :P

Doesn't matter the technicalities of what Nintendo said, and showed. It's what the audience/public get from jt, adn eceryne was fucking confused. How people can't see that his is ninte dos fsult shows that they don't understand how product launches/marketing/PR works as well as how business works.

I'd fire anyone who was responsible for marketing a product of mine, and the media/pub,it response was utter confusion, and when quizzed they said - the media were stupid, I expressed exactly what we're selling.... I'd be like - take some resposibility for once you fucking gimp! You fucked up! Seeya!

I'm still confused about what the WiiU is meant to mean or who it is aimed at. I haven't really seen an awful lot of improvement since with their advertisements and for me they have never really rectified the problem.

I still think it was a mistake going with the Wii brand again when the audience had moved on.

It wasn't just the odd person that was confused:

http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/2011/06/wii-u-confusion-and-controversy-the-story-so-far-in-plain-english/

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/06/it-is-a-whole-console-here-is-the-wii-u-deck/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/benzingainsights/2011/06/08/did-nintendo-just-screw-up-the-launch-of-wii-u/

http://spong.com/article/24580/E3-2011-Confusion-Ubisoft-Confirms-Wii-U-is-New-Console-Not-Controller

You can't chalk it up to bad journalism as much as you may want. It genuinely confused people.

They announced a new console WITHOUT SHOWING THE CONSOLE. Not even picking it up saying "it's so tiny and light but look at all it can do with this!!!" and then focus on the gamepad and graphics and all that. It was only when people were on the show floor that they actually got to see the console.

Hopefully they've learnt from this and when they show off the NX they'll make their intentions clearer.

And won't call it the Wii All.

It wasn't just the odd person that was confused:

http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/2011/06/wii-u-confusion-and-controversy-the-story-so-far-in-plain-english/

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/06/it-is-a-whole-console-here-is-the-wii-u-deck/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/benzingainsights/2011/06/08/did-nintendo-just-screw-up-the-launch-of-wii-u/

http://spong.com/article/24580/E3-2011-Confusion-Ubisoft-Confirms-Wii-U-is-New-Console-Not-Controller

You can't chalk it up to bad journalism as much as you may want. It genuinely confused people.

They announced a new console WITHOUT SHOWING THE CONSOLE. Not even picking it up saying "it's so tiny and light but look at all it can do with this!!!" and then focus on the gamepad and graphics and all that. It was only when people were on the show floor that they actually got to see the console.

Hopefully they've learnt from this and when they show off the NX they'll make their intentions clearer.

And won't call it the Wii All.

Obviously it's the fault of the journalists and nothing to do with Nintendo and there inability to make a simple message clear and coherent.

gaf going crazy with excitement over the NX, speculating on dozens of pages. Our NX thread? More moaning about anything Nintendo did and does, as if there isn't enough of that on every single other topic.

Perhaps we're a little more realistic? There's not much point in speculation at this point, we know little more than a codename and a promise of "something unique", which we got with the DS, Wii, 3DS and Wii U, so we're not that surprised about. We can throw around crazy ideas but they'll really just be a waste of energy.

The one thing many of us do know is that we don't want the marketing fiasco that lead to the Wii U paling miserably in comparison to its living-room filling, money-printing, powerhouse of a predecessor.

You need to stop taking such personal offence to everything. Discussion is discussion, whether it's joyous babbling or realistic debates, people only want to talk about the things that matter to them. Instead of the whole meta-rage we constantly spiral into, try out some new concepts like: debate, consideration, empathy.

Edited by Shorty

GAF is also much bigger so bound to have more conversation.

And they're not having to constantly state why they have an opinion that doesn't sit with everyone.

The main issue with the Wii U announcement trailer was that they kept saying 'Play With The New Controller' and stuff like that, but rarely spoke about the console.

OK, regarding the NX, the one thing that really surprised me is that this graphic has the PC in it:

28lrsudw.jpg

I understand this is to emphasis that one account will encompass all devices, but to what extent? Considering it's on the left, will it likely only run the smartphone games, or could it run some of the more traditional games as well? It's possible that, this time, Nintendo cares more about getting people as customers (with a Nintendo account), rather than sales of any particular hardware.

The other thing is, considering the NX may have to "absorb" the Wii U and 3DS architecture, is it possible Nintendo might use PC architecture this time?

And considering they say they will show this next year, that suggests a 2017 release (3DS shown 2010, released 2011). Anyone else think it's far more likely this is a handheld than a home console? If so, would that be feasible with PC architecture yet? I think it might be the first (and weakest) machine in their new ecosystem.

Anyway, those are just some thoughts about the possibilities.

I just took the inclusion of the PC to be related more to the account, so things like Miiverse and remotely purchasing eshop software. I guess it's possible you'll get some games, but I wouldn't assume that was the case.

Any opinions on what you want this next console to be?

I pretty much want a spiritual successor to the N64 (without the cartridges of course). A time when Nintendo focused on hardware power. Maybe even call it the N(input mega byte number).

Traditional controller, ditch the white colour scheme and just go for an elitist black or N64 grey. Graphical prowess of a PS4 or even a high-powered WiiU is enough. Focus on top notch network capabilities, fluid os etc. Large disk space.

No waggle, no second screen display - no BS.

Just give me something bat shit crazy only a locked-up toy maker in the mountains around Kyoto could come up with and I'll be happy.

"People need sandals to put on their feet while gaming, so they can feel the various surfaces their character is walking on through haptic feedback."

Any opinions on what you want this next console to be?

I pretty much want a spiritual successor to the N64 (without the cartridges of course). A time when Nintendo focused on hardware power. Maybe even call it the N(input mega byte number).

Traditional controller, ditch the white colour scheme and just go for an elitist black or N64 grey. Graphical prowess of a PS4 or even a high-powered WiiU is enough. Focus on top notch network capabilities, fluid os etc. Large disk space.

No waggle, no second screen display - no BS.

First and foremost I just want no gimmick controller.