NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Now anyone is defending someone's opinion slagging off a console we know nothing about rewlly is a new high/low for this forum! Fuck me. Comedy, this place is the most ridiculous place I know.

As for VR, no, it won't be the future of gsming, it'll be a part of the future of gsming hopefully though. As for your insistence of people are blown away by it as a factor in this is bizarre. Peop,e were blown away the Wii remote. It's new, it's exciting, it's different, of course people are excited and blown away buy it!

Lots of people play games with headsets on already while in the same room as others, cutting them off from easy communication with them. I don't really see that as an issue.

An awful lot of people game alone, too.

As for VR, no, it won't be the future of gsming, it'll be a part of the future of gsming hopefully though. As for your insistence of people are blown away by it as a factor in this is bizarre. Peop,e were blown away the Wii remote. It's new, it's exciting, it's different, of course people are excited and blown away buy it!

I happily await the future to prove you wrong. I'm already on a roll with regards to the mobile announcement today. :D

VR has been the dream for as long as anyone can remember; near full immersion in a game. If they can crack if, I firmly believe this could be massive.

VR is great and all but it's not going to fit into the current gaming landscape as is; it's going to change it. Whether it's a passing fad like the Wii-mote or a new pillar of the industry like mobile/phone games remains to be seen. With backers like Facebook, Valve, Sony, HTC and Samsung, it looks to be more like the latter but judging what form it's going to take - whether it is predominantly online and solitary or local an social - is folly because it's just too soon to say right now.

I think this is a very different discussion, though.

I can't wait for the day it goes all Sword Art Online on us and we can all start killing each other, haha.

I happily await the future to prove you wrong. I'm already on a roll with regards to the mobile announcement today. :D

VR has been the dream for as long as anyone can remember; near full immersion in a game. If they can crack if, I firmly believe this could be massive.

Didn't most people see the positive in Nintendo going mobile?

As for VR, you actually think it will become the dominant force of gsming? Can't see it. I think it'll be big, and amazing, but complimentary.

VR may well be big, but there's plenty of genres it just doesn't work with. VR is all about games viewed from a first person perspective, but it still requires regular controllers as well.

I have tried it, and it is a new and exciting experience. It also feels a lot more real, I actually flinched and moved my head around as I raced around the track.

However beyond first person games, it has no real application.

2D or 3D platforming - nope!

Most sports games - nope!

Racing when not done from a first person perspective - nope!

Fighting games - nope!

Third person shooters - nope!

Action adventure titles - nope!

It's basically very immersive for first person games, but other than that narrow field of titles it offers nothing.

It is something that will most likely be an expensive peripheral that will be optional.

Also, people are going to be excited - they were about the Wii remote, Kinect and the Wii U!! People are always excited for new things, and when you try them out for the first few minutes in a controlled environment you are blown away - but it's using something over time that gives you a good view of its overall worth.

VR will also have similar problems to motion control - will people like wearing something on their head for that length of time? Will people get headaches and will their eyes hurt after long periods of play being sat so close to the monitors? Will the motion control aspects always be responsive?

There are far too many questions to be answered and far too many limitations in its application to start calling it the future of gaming.

What's more, gaming is pulling in many directions now. When the SNES/Megadrive era came to an end, gaming was moving in one direction - more power and 3D games. Now gaming is moving in so many different directions - more power and higher fidelity graphics, mobile gaming and games that you can play for small bursts and there's even a booming indie scene. I don't believe one thing (especially not one that has such limited application) will change the whole face of gaming as it is too diverse.

It could be that in the future, many of those types of games could be developed to function in first person. We essentially view the world in first person anyway, so it makes sense that we could find a way of doing a platformer or sport in first person. Right now, the way we play a football game is to see most of our players on a field at once. But what if this technology demands evolution? Imagine that you take charge of one or two players in a football game and team up with several of your friends against a German team. That's almost a tantalising prospect. :heh: I also remember that platforming sections sorta worked in Metroid Prime. The biggest sector of gaming right now is probably first person games and that needn't be restrictive - first person ranges from COD to Skyrim to Metroid Prime to Minecraft. I see the potential, I just hope they can develop it further.

I take your point that people were also excited about Kinect and the Wii Remote, but I personally believe this is on another level. The concept of VR has been repeated throughout books, films and anime series, and I'm sure most of us have dreamed of it. Perhaps the best way to describe it is this - the Wii Remote was something that we didn't really know we wanted until it was here. VR is something we've always known we've wanted. That we can imagine and hunger for such a technology arguably illustrates how likely we would buy into it, if the right application came along. And maybe, just maybe...we'd stick with it.

Edited by Sheikah

I've thanked the post because it makes a good point about VR, but that bit about football made me chuckle.

There is a Ron Swanson quote that is something along the lines that if humans were able to fly, no one would do it because they would consider it exercise. :)

So...other than VR what are people thinking about this?

(personally very undecided on VR and thinking it's far too premature a discussion generally atm)

So...other than VR what are people thinking about this?

Without any solid details I dont really know what to think at the moment. All I do know is that most of the faith I've had in Nintendo over the years has pretty much vanished. It used to be that I would say I was "Hopeful but skeptical" but unfortunately these days I think I'm just skeptical.

I think they'll reveal this in the big January Nintendo Direct with E3 2016 showing the games, price & launch date - November 2016.

I don't think Nintendo will push VR with their next console but they'll make the next console future proof for it if it becomes big but it won't be part of the launch.

Hopefully this time they have been involving major 3rd party developers in the development of this console. I hope they have learned their lesson with the Wii U.

With the New 3DS just being released, I think it has another couple of years in it now. 2017 at the earliest before we hear anything about the next handheld.

ooh these are exciting times.

I think they'll reveal this in the big January Nintendo Direct with E3 2016 showing the games, price & launch date - November 2016.

I don't think Nintendo will push VR with their next console but they'll make the next console future proof for it if it becomes big but it won't be part of the launch.

Hopefully this time they have been involving major 3rd party developers in the development of this console. I hope they have learned their lesson with the Wii U.

With the New 3DS just being released, I think it has another couple of years in it now. 2017 at the earliest before we hear anything about the next handheld.

ooh these are exciting times.

I assumed NX is their next handheld. There was a job listing a year ago where they were looking for someone to work on their next portable. Makes sense really, the 3DS has been out for a while now, and it gives the new 3DS another year or two of sales before the new thing hits. The Wii U is just over 2 years old, no way will they replace it so soon.

I assumed NX is their next handheld. There was a job listing a year ago where they were looking for someone to work on their next portable. Makes sense really, the 3DS has been out for a while now, and it gives the new 3DS another year or two of sales before the new thing hits. The Wii U is just over 2 years old, no way will they replace it so soon.

GCN was 3 years old when the Wii was announced. When this is actually announced, Wii U will be, too.

Now remember, Nintendo have said that the next handheld and console will share OS and have similar architecture. It's not that unfeasible for both to come out in 2017

By November 2016 it'll have been on the market for 4 years. Enough time for a failing console.

The gamecube for example, 4 and a half years in Europe before the Wii was released, 5 in Japan.

GCN was 3 years old when the Wii was announced. When this is actually announced, Wii U will be, too.

Now remember, Nintendo have said that the next handheld and console will share OS and have similar architecture. It's not that unfeasible for both to come out in 2017

I think 2017 will be very late but both could he released the same year like GBA and GC.

Huh...

Neat name!

That's pretty much all I can say about it right now. Far too early for me to be speculating.

I love all Nintendo hardware announcement but I do wish they would of waited a little longer to officially confirm its existence. We all knew it was being made but giving a kind of name to it makes the waiting even harder.

Also if this is a proper console type thing then come on man it has to be atleast on level with the Xbone when it comes to power, maybe even better.

Edited by bryanee

I love all Nintendo hardware announcement but I do wish they would of waited a little longer to officially confirm its existence. We all knew it was being made but giving a kind of name to it makes the waiting even harder.

Also if this is a proper console type thing then come on man it has to be atleast on level with the Xbone when it comes to power, maybe even better.

They had to reveal it to stop the media assuming they were dropping hardware support and going smartphone only.

True enough. Its just bloody annoying. I look forward to Nintendo console unveiling like no other.

I'm not sure what you mean by the extra peripherals thing - you mean you want them to bundle the headset with the console?

I mean that you needed 3D glasses to see in 3D, but Nintendo made a console that didn't require them. It made it work in a practical way.

So, if any company can figure out a way to make a VR experience without the need of big helmets, I'll be listening.

Nah, it's all about online gaming now. You hear all about how many games don't even have local play options anymore. You could say the same thing about headsets - that people won't use them as they can't talk to people around them. Truth is, people use them. And a lot of people, a lot of the time...game alone.

You're also assuming that the experience wouldn't be good enough for people to go to the extent of donning a headgear. Of course people would don a headset if VR turns out to be awesome (which it kinda sounds like it is shaping up to be already). People go to cinemas and sit in dark rooms where they can't talk in order to enjoy films. People will also do this if it's a worthwhile experience they can't have any other way.

Cube already mentioned that there is a good portion of people that would rather play locally. I'll mention that there is an even bigger portion that want to still pay attention to their surroundings while they're playing (I'd imagine teenagers to be the exception to this rule).

I just think you're overestimating the amount of people that play like you or me (often alone, often on-line, often single player). And not even that, Zechs already mentioned that there are a lot of genres that don't really benefit from the peripheral.

Now, VR could have a much, much bigger impact outside of gaming, but that's a discussion for another time.

There may be a portion who would like to play locally but in all honesty, local play has fallen out of favour so that's already a very small subset excluded from the 'would play VR' group. Many people might prefer local play, but how many of us have the chance every day to meet up with people to play locally? Online is so much more convenient and widely applicable these days.

I think a lot of your points can be countered by pointing out that we don't yet know the potential of it here - if it can one day deliver an amazing experience, then I think people would do it, regardless of whether they normally communicate with people around them while playing. I'll go back to the cinema example here - people are willing to go to cinemas in the millions to sit in silence, not communicating with people next to them, in a darkened room, to watch films in a superior way. Now, I can't guarantee VR is going to be developed to be so amazing people would sacrifice communication for it, but I think it would be short-sighted to say there are people that simply wouldn't do it. If it's made to be awesome and great games are made to work with it, I'm sure people will adopt it.

Regarding genres of games that wouldn't work, did you check my other post? I theorised that games as we know them may be liable to adapt to whatever future technology comes along. After all, games we play now differ considerably to those that were all 2D like 20 years ago. Whether it's playing as single players on a football pitch with your friends, or platforming in a way like Metroid Prime. We can only guess what the future holds, but I certainly wouldn't say outright that VR is not going to be the future, unlike some here.

Edited by Sheikah

Nintendo Going Mobile?! & New Codename NX Console - Discussion