NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Just confirmed in the press conference for the mobile stuff.

Nintendo NX is Nintendo's new hardware codename for their next piece of hardware. Utilises a "brand-new concept"

Exciting

Edited by Serebii

Nintendo NX is Nintendo's new hardware codename for their next piece of hardware.

Exciting

Nothing to be shown until next year though. :(

Nothing to be shown until next year though. :(

Stands to reason. Don't want to kill the 3DS and Wii U just yet.

Shuts the people up who think Nintendo are going third party now though.

It must be the link between or merging of the home hardware and portable hardware. Still, it might just be the follow up to the 3DS, afterall, the handheld is due before the next home console!

Nintendo NX is Nintendo's new hardware codename for their next piece of hardware. Utilises a "brand-new concept"

Exciting

In game voice chat? Well it'd be new to Nintendo. Now I will make a hasty retreat.

It must be the link between or merging of the home hardware and portable hardware. Still, it might just be the follow up to the 3DS, afterall, the handheld is due before the next home console!

Yeah. We know that's coming. Maybe that's what the X is to represent, the crossing of handheld and console.

28lrsudw.jpg

Crossplatform user accounts <3

Yeah. We know that's coming. Maybe that's what the X is to represent, the crossing of handheld and console.

28lrsudw.jpg

Crossplatform user accounts <3

About time. :D

Do you still think the next handheld and console will be separate? I've always been in the camp that the next thing Nintendo will do will be a merging of the two and this press conference is solidifying that opinion.

About time. :D

Do you still think the next handheld and console will be separate? I've always been in the camp that the next thing Nintendo will do will be a merging of the two and this press conference is solidifying that opinion.

No. I believe, based on what Iwata has said, that we will have two separate devices. However, they have been developed in unison as one project. They will share OS and have similar architecture. Handheld will be weaker. Console will be stronger.

They won't be a hybrid. We'll still have two different devices, they'll just have the most connected relationship of any Nintendo handheld/console. It'll be separate, and merged.

NX

-To show we are still committed to making dedicated gaming hardware and software experiences.

-Next-generation platform, not directly related to mobile announcement.

-Announcement made more to stop any speculation that they would exit the console market.

Edited by Serebii

Iwata was correct to announce this. The speculation would of been off the charts that they were going third party if he didn't.

26.jpg

While this is not something directly relating to the collaboration that we have announced today, here is one thing I would like to mention to avoid any misunderstandings.

Nintendo has decided to deploy its video game business on smart devices but it is not because we have lost passion or vision for the business of dedicated video game systems. On the contrary, now that we have decided how we will make use of smart devices, we have come to hold an even stronger passion and vision for the dedicated video game system business than ever before. Nintendo has made this decision because we have concluded that the approach of making use of smart devices is a rational way for us to encourage even more people around the world to recognize the great value of the wonderful game software available on our dedicated game systems.

As proof that Nintendo maintains strong enthusiasm for the dedicated game system business, let me confirm that Nintendo is currently developing a dedicated game platform with a brand-new concept under the development codename “NX.” It is too early to elaborate on the details of this project, but we hope to share more information with you next year.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/en/2015/150317/03.html

Now does anybody still think the Wii U will be Nintendo's main console in 2018 or later? I told you all this was coming and I still maintain it'll release circa December 2016.

My concern there is that if the handheld and console will be somewhat comparable (although different specs), it will mean that the next home console they make will be very unlikely to match the competition. Not surprising but still disappointing.

26.jpg

While this is not something directly relating to the collaboration that we have announced today, here is one thing I would like to mention to avoid any misunderstandings.

Nintendo has decided to deploy its video game business on smart devices but it is not because we have lost passion or vision for the business of dedicated video game systems. On the contrary, now that we have decided how we will make use of smart devices, we have come to hold an even stronger passion and vision for the dedicated video game system business than ever before. Nintendo has made this decision because we have concluded that the approach of making use of smart devices is a rational way for us to encourage even more people around the world to recognize the great value of the wonderful game software available on our dedicated game systems.

As proof that Nintendo maintains strong enthusiasm for the dedicated game system business, let me confirm that Nintendo is currently developing a dedicated game platform with a brand-new concept under the development codename “NX.” It is too early to elaborate on the details of this project, but we hope to share more information with you next year.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/en/2015/150317/03.html

Now does anybody still think the Wii U will be Nintendo's main console in 2018 or later? I told you all this was coming and I still maintain it'll release circa December 2016.

You mean a Nintendo format having a lifespan of ~5 years like every other one?

Nobody argued with you on this.

If it comes out in 2016 then that would be 4 years for the Wii U. The Wii came out in 2006 and the Wii U launched in 2012.

For the first time in my life I'm just not interested by this confirmation. When they confirmed they were working on their other consoles I used to get hyped and speculate... now I just don't care.

It's heartbreaking as I'd always been a huge Nintendo fan.

Given how they shocked with the mobile announcements i fully expect it to be a powerful console that either works with a handheld (like PS4 and Vita), or the controller becomes a portable

Edited by Agent Gibbs

Given how they shocked with the mobile announcements i fully expect it to be a powerful console that either works with a handheld (like PS4 and Vita)

I fully expect it to be as powerful as the PS4.

Which they'll release, not long before the PS5 comes out. :heh:

Nintendo's hardware leaves so much to be desired it's hard to be excited, especially in the face of VR.

I don't really see how a new platform will address any of their current issues. If anything, it just reinforces the idea of their stubbornness.

Nintendo's hardware leaves so much to be desired it's hard to be excited, especially in the face of VR.

I don't really see how a new platform will address any of their current issues. If anything, it just reinforces the idea of their stubbornness.

Bit harsh considering we have no details of what the said platform actually is yet.

New hardware *could* address some of their current issues:

- Bad online (the easiest right?)

- Lack of 3rd party support (with the right power in the system)

Just because we expect this not to be the case does not mean it is written in stone.

I also think that whilst the VR tech coming up is exciting, it could easily be the next Kinnect, good for some kind of games not very good for others and eventually dropped (*).

(* I am aware that Kinnect has not actually been dropped. :) )

Right now they could confirm the new handheld is a Vitrual Boy that connects to a ps4 like Nintendo NX console

either way they had best be out there consulting with third parties seeing what they want, and when it comes out it best not be older tech and in keeping with the next gen

New hardware *could* address some of their current issues:

- Bad online (the easiest right?)

- Lack of 3rd party support (with the right power in the system)

Lack of 3rd party support is more than just the power of the system at this point. Its bad relations between Nintendo and them for years now that needs to be fixed as well.

I also think that whilst the VR tech coming up is exciting, it could easily be the next Kinnect, good for some kind of games not very good for others and eventually dropped (*).

(* I am aware that Kinnect has not actually been dropped. :) )

Based on the absolute amazement of people that have reviewed VR, I'm pretty convinced it is the future. It's what we've always fantasised about anyway.

funny_valentine_2.jpg

Lack of 3rd party support is more than just the power of the system at this point. Its bad relations between Nintendo and them for years now that needs to be fixed as well.

I honestly don't see it happening.

I really don't think lack of 3rd party support is much about bad relations. You can always turn that around if your system is selling and developing for it is as cost efficient as possible. These are businesses at the end of the day.

For every article that is excited about VR that I have read (mostly Eurogamer) there is always a significant 'but' in the review. Even the most exciting Steam/HTC variant comments had the caveat that people would nee to design very specific games for the system. It might even be a simple as gamers not wanting to wear the thing or the use of motion style controls that put people off.

I don't think that VR is a game changer at the moment. It's a cool extra, but not something that can be the main platform for games. At least not for another 10-15 years (and perhaps not even then).