NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo & DeNA Business Agreement - Nintendo on Smartphones

Five games over 15 months is about half as much as Nintendo put out for the Wii U themselves.

And that they at all are restructuring the company to accomodate this is awful news.

They promised it wouldn't affect their home console/handheld output. It's also a bit silly to ignore the 3DS when counting titles they put out too.

Actually puts my mind at ease about the whole situation

If your mind was anything other than at ease about this whole thing it certainly didn't show

They promised it wouldn't affect their home console/handheld output. It's also a bit silly to ignore the 3DS when counting titles they put out too.

They've promised a lot of things in the past and failed to deliver. Adding more platforms to the mix I feel will only result in dilution of their output unless they have the staff to cope. E.g. They said they learned from the 3DS launch, they didn't. They said Wii U wouldn't have droughts. It did and does. They said online would be the air that we breathe. It isn't. They said there'd be more Wii U Gamecube adapters. There aren't. They said amiibo would be sorted. It isn't. And on and on.

And they said I'd be playing Zelda Wii U this Christmas. I won't be.

If your mind was anything other than at ease about this whole thing it certainly didn't show

Is that sarcasm?

Is that sarcasm?

No, just poorly phrased.

What I meant is you weren't visible flailing and panicking so if you were ill at ease it was difficult to tell.

Random observation more than anything. And barely that.

No, just poorly phrased.

What I meant is you weren't visible flailing and panicking so if you were ill at ease it was difficult to tell.

Random observation more than anything. And barely that.

First line of the thread, man :p

I can just control my rage and uneasy feelings on this forum :p

First line of the thread, man :p

I can just control my rage and uneasy feelings on this forum :p

It could have been a non-sequitur...

The only time I recall you having a massive panic attack/rage is the Pokémon release date thing. Still amuses me to think about it :heh:

Reggie: Nintendo’s mobile games can offer “a positive experience”, drive people back to core systems

Back in 2010, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime made some comments about mobile gaming in which he told Polygon that, on these devices, people don’t seem to stick to a single title.

Here’s what he said at the time:

“Clearly, it doesn’t look like their platform is a viable profit platform for game development because so many of the games are free versus paid downloads. If our games represent a range between snacks of entertainment and full meals depending on the type of game, (Apple’s) aren’t even a mouthful, in terms of the gaming experience you get.”

Polygon spoke with Reggie at E3 2015 last week and said that Nintendo hasn’t changed its opinion on the nature of gaming on smart devices. He also believes that mobile gaming can offer “a positive experience” while driving people back to the Big N’s core systems.

“We’re going to do it in a partnership with DeNA. DeNA has technical knowledge that we’re leveraging. They have a rapid iteration process to drive improvement in the content that we’re going to leverage, but Nintendo is going to create the content. We’ve announced that Mr. Kono, from Mario Kart fame, is going to be our lead developer on this. And so from that standpoint things haven’t changed. It’s our IP, we’re going to leverage it and we do believe done properly it’s going to drive a positive experience with the IP and drive people back to our core video system business whether it’s handheld or console.”

http://nintendoeverything.com/reggie-nintendos-mobile-games-can-offer-a-positive-experience-drive-people-back-to-core-systems/

Nintendo hasn't changed its take on the nature of smartphone games, despite DeNA deal

http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/nintendo-login-via-nintendo-network-id-now-possible-in-europe-link-with-club-nintendo-account-for-stars/

Back when Nintendo announced their partnership with DeNA, they explained that it would result not only in co-developed games for mobile platforms, but also in a new multi-device membership service. This service will be launched sometimes this Fall, and it’s pretty much guaranteed to be based on the already-existing Nintendo Network ID.

While the membership service doesn’t seem to be quite ready right now, it looks like Nintendo has already started the transition on its European website. Starting today, it’s possible to use a Nintendo Network ID to log in on the website. When you try to log in, you have two options:

– using your current Club Nintendo account. Once logged in, you can then link it to your Nintendo Network ID. By doing so, you can earn 750 stars, to be used on the Stars Catalogue of the Club Nintendo. After that, logging in with your Nintendo Network ID will also log you in to your Club Nintendo account.

– using your current Nintendo Network ID, provided your Club Nintendo account has already been linked.

Here’s some screencaps:

So far, Nintendo hasn’t made any formal announcement regarding this change. It’s quite likely that the option to link the two accounts (and login via Club Nintendo account) will only be available until September 30th, when Club Nintendo closes in Europe and Japan. After that date, only the Nintendo Network ID will be used for log in on the website.

Unfortunately, we do not know when the new multi-device membership service will be officially revealed/launched.

4Oeizbm.jpg

Edited by Serebii

Thanks for the heads up, Serebii! Just logged on to link my accounts, which would've taken me to over 6000 stars (enough for some of the better items they have there), only to find that 1000 of my stars expired last week! :shakehead Honestly, expiring stars was the worst thing they did to the catalogue. :(

I tried linking my UK Club Nintendo to my Finland-marked NNID-account. Seems to work, though there's nothing to do with 750 points anymore.

So do you need to login with your CN account, or your NNID to get the 750 stars, or does it not make a difference? :hmm:

So do you need to login with your CN account, or your NNID to get the 750 stars, or does it not make a difference? :hmm:

Doesn't matter once they're linked on the website :)

In DeNA's Q1 release, they said that they are gearing up to reveal the first Nintendo smartphone game

An industry analyst in Japan has said on Twitter:

"About that Nintendo-DeNa mobile game: expect the unexpected, and soon"

Sorry for poor citing at work at the moment, sounds interesting though, maybe an announcement incoming?

As expected, an update about their mobile business will be given tomorrow.

Nintendo also said Wednesday it will give an update on its smartphone game project with smartphone game and platform provider DeNA Co. when it meets investors to brief them on strategy Thursday.

“We will provide updates on our project with DeNA tomorrow,” Nintendo’s new chief executive Tatsumi Kimishima said.

The investors briefing takes place at 1am GMT, you can follow a live blog of the event from The Wall Street Journal.

http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2015/10/29/nintendo-unveils-first-smartphone-game-live-blog/

Main Headlines:

First smartphone release is an app called 'Miitomo' (Mii Friends) seems like a smartphone version of 'Tomodachi Life'

Unified account system is called 'Nintendo Account' will link between hardware, PC and smart devices

'Miitomo' delayed until March 2016, but Nintendo still intend to release all 5 collaborations with DeNA by March 2017

Kimishima says that there are more titles coming to the Wii U and 3DS this year that are yet to be announced. Nintendo hopes to capitalise on the holiday season to try and boost sales of the two platforms.

Also notes that 70% of Japanese Animal Crossing players are female, Nintendo plan to release more products targeted at them this holiday season. Could be a clue as to what the first mobile game might be?

Nintendo's new membership service will be called 'Nintendo Account' and will connect Nintendo hardware users as well as PC and smartphone/tablet users.

Nintendo will introduce a cloud-based data service to enable transfer of data between mobile and console games.

Mobile games have been delayed, the first game will now be released in March 2016 rather than by the end of 2015.

That's it for information from the presentation, not too much information yet. Hopefully there'll be some more information from the question and answer session.

The new smartphone game will be called 'Miitomo' (Mii Friends) and will operate on a free-to-play model, with optional micro transactions. Other games will reportedly be pay to download.

Your Mii's will communicate with other Mii's of their own accord, allowing you to communicate with a wide variety of people even if you are hesitant to talk about yourself. Sounds like it adopts a similar mechanic to streetpass, could perhaps incorporate some of the features of Tomodachi Life.

Nintendo still plans to release all 5 smartphone apps by March 2017, despite the delay for 'Miitomo'

Miyamoto says that DeNA will operate the smartphone games while Nintendo will focus on guiding users from smartphones to dedicated hardware.

Miyamoto reiterates that the smartphone side of things is just supplementing the dedicated hardware business, a chance to reach a wider user base and draw them into the consoles.

All in all it was a pretty typical Nintendo briefing. They kept quiet about the NX, 'Miitomo' seems like a tentative step into the world of smartphone apps, sounds more like a social networking app than a mobile game. I look forward to seeing what the unannounced software releasing this year is. Nintendo Account sounds like the step in the right direction that we had hoped though.

Edited by killthenet
Automerged Doublepost

Miitomo is barely a game.. Quite disappointed as I was looking forward to seeing what Nintendo could do with smart phones.

Well that's...interesting...

And it's incredibly Nintendo. Nintendo did say that they are going to leverage mobile users onto their gaming platforms and aren't just going to port existing ideas over to mobile, which based on GAF and reactions around the net, is what people were expecting.

I don't think that us, the dedicated gamer, is the market for this...but that can be said for most smartphone games

I think we all KNOW what that unannounced Wii U title for this year is. They need to just come out and say it.

I think we all KNOW what that unannounced Wii U title for this year is. They need to just come out and say it.

Yeah.

A new Donkey Kong Country, right? :P

Yeah.

A new Donkey Kong Country, right? :P

Heheh. Joking aside though, it's hugely likely we will get another DK before Wii U's end.

Plenty smartphone websites seem to think they were getting a major Nintendo IP even though Nintendo were pretty clear how they were approaching this.

The corporate briefing is now available in English.

The main character of*Miitomo*is you. First, you create your own Mii.

The Mii asks you a variety of questions and communicates your answers with your Friends’ Mii.

The people you will be able to communicate with are limited to your friends whom you have registered as Friends. We are designing this communication application to enable Friends to share information comfortably and securely.

In this way, instead of the users proactively sending their own messages,*Miitomo has a unique characteristic that can be called “friendly communication starters” as your Mii will automatically dispatch the answers you gave to certain questions to your friends.

These “friendly communication starters” have an advantage that even the people who are less willing to send messages can easily participate. Another unique characteristic of*Miitomo*is that you may be able to find out unknown aspects about your friends or unexpected commonalities you share with your friend because*Miitomo*may pick up the topics that you usually do not discuss but would be willing to answer if asked.

What we would like to realize is, through such communication, you will be able to deepen friendly relationships and have more people with whom you can play games.

Both My Nintendo and*Miitomo*will be available in March 2016.

For reference, more than 200 million Mii characters have been created on our platforms, which means that many people around the world understand the appeal of Mii.

Slide show for Miitomo

Yup, sounds like Tomodachi Life to me.

Looks like Miis go ahead and communicate with other Miis without your knowledge. This will help people who are hesitant to talk about themselves to communicate with others, and reveal a side of your friends you never knew, Mr. Kimishima says.

So basically, it's for people who happily talk about that drunken night out on Facebook and then regret posting while under the influence?

Edit:

13.jpg

10.jpg

14.jpg

Yeah, it's Tomodachi Life. Hope you weren't expecting to see a proper sequel on consoles again!

Edited by Dcubed