NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo & DeNA Business Agreement - Nintendo on Smartphones

I feel ill

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2015/150317e.pdf

1)

Joint development and operation of gaming applications for smart devices using Nintendo’s intellectual

property (“Nintendo IP”), including its characters Nintendo and DeNA intend to jointly operate new gaming applications featuring Nintendo IP, which they will develop specifically for smart devices. Consequently, Nintendo expects to benefit from new business opportunities as more consumers encounter Nintendo IP, and DeNA expects to strengthen its core business of mobile gaming internationally through the use of Nintendo IP.

(2)

Joint development of a new multi-device membership service Nintendo and DeNA expect to develop a new core system compatible with a variety of devices including PCs, smartphones and tablets as well as Nintendo’s dedicated video game systems, and are to jointly develop a membership service utilizing this system, with a launch targeted for the fall of 2015. The companies expect to further enhance their customer relationships through the membership service.

TOKYO, JAPAN - March 17, 2015 - Nintendo Co., Ltd. (Tokyo: 7974) and DeNA Co., Ltd. (Tokyo: 2432) today entered into a business and capital alliance to develop and operate new game apps for smart devices and build a new multi-device membership service for consumers worldwide.

Leveraging the strength of Nintendo's intellectual property (IP) and game development skills in combination with DeNA's world-class expertise in mobile games, both companies will develop and operate new game apps based on Nintendo's IP, including its iconic game characters, for smart devices. The alliance is intended to complement Nintendo's dedicated video game systems business and extend Nintendo's reach into the vast market of smart device users worldwide. Under the alliance, DeNA will also be able to strengthen its gaming business at a global scale by leveraging Nintendo's IP. To ensure the quality of game experience that consumers expect from this alliance of Nintendo and DeNA, only new original games optimized for smart device functionality will be created, rather than porting games created specifically for the Wii U home console or the Nintendo 3DS portable system.

In order to create completely new game experiences for smart devices, all Nintendo IP will be eligible for development and exploration by the alliance. As these consumers enjoy the unique kind of gameplay found only with Nintendo, they will have the opportunity to explore even more premium experiences on Nintendo's dedicated video game platforms. Information on upcoming games and availability will be forthcoming.

Nintendo and DeNA also plan to develop an online membership service that is accessible from smart devices, PC and Nintendo systems, such as the Nintendo 3DS portable system and the Wii U home console. The membership service, which is targeted to launch in the fall of 2015, will be built on DeNA's extensive experience and capabilities in online membership services.

Edited by Serebii

It begins....

There's a translator. Watching now...

Edited by Hero-of-Time
Automerged Doublepost

Using mobiles for advertising and profit makes a lot of sense.

People are just pushing the "Nintendo going smartphone" angle :/

They were always going to.

Slim Iwata still looks weird. :D He's dropping dem truth bombs at the moment.

They were always going to.

Slim Iwata still looks weird. :D He's dropping dem truth bombs at the moment.

We will need a Nintendo Direct before the end of next week to counter the cynicism of people who think Nintendo are just going smartphone.

Already seen people say they are going to drop the 3DS due to this.

If they do go smartphone I hope they do it properly. I don't want to see classic Nintendo titles on smart phones where the controls will be rubbish and the experience destroyed.

If they do go onto smart phones they should do stand alone titles like a Mario runner or Donkey Kong barrel and mine kart levels. Games that actually suit the system, not classic experiences shoe-horned into a space they don't really fit!

If they do go smartphone I hope they do it properly. I don't want to see classic Nintendo titles on smart phones where the controls will be rubbish and the experience destroyed.

If they do go onto smart phones they should do stand alone titles like a Mario runner or Donkey Kong barrel and mine kart levels. Games that actually suit the system, not classic experiences shoe-horned into a space they don't really fit!

This seems to be what they are doing. Iwata is saying that there will be no ports to and from the phones. The consoles/3DS are separate experiences from the smart phones games and the games are made in mind with the strengths of the specific platforms.

This seems to be what they are doing. Iwata is saying that there will be no ports to and from the phones. The consoles/3DS are separate experiences from the smart phones games and the games are made in mind with the strengths of the specific platforms.

True but it's interesting that no IP is off limit. I doubt it will just be Mario style runners.

True but it's interesting that no IP is off limit. I doubt it will just be Mario style runners.

I imagine Nintendo will put the same time and care into their mobile games as they do into their other games. It's certainly going to be interesting to see what they cook up.

Interestingly, the new Kirby game on Wii U would work a treat on phones!

I look forward to seeing the out put and really hope they do some inventive things.

I know it won't happen, but Clash of the Clans in the Battalion Wars universe and where you can actually choose your faction... that would make me happy!

Pokémon Shuffle is another game that would work well on phones.

Hell, it has over 1 million downloads already and lots of purchases.

I really am not sure how this could play out.

Nintendo could bank a lot of coin from this but at the same time I don't see how it doesn't effect their own handheld business regardless of the games being different.

Who the hell are DeNA? "DeNA, one of the largest mobile platforms in Japan." Still who the hell are DeNA? What happens outside of Japan?

We will need a Nintendo Direct before the end of next week to counter the cynicism of people who think Nintendo are just going smartphone.

Only complete morons who nobody should pay attention to would think that.

Already seen people say they are going to drop the 3DS due to this.

lovejoy-think-of-the-children-16nov131.jpg

So the gaming and tech media then?

I don't know if this is related, but Nintendo of Korea is hosting a Nintendo Direct on March 19th. Hopefully we get one too.

Source

'spose it was inevitable. But really dislike the idea, Nintendo's IP is special, it never feels right seeing them on alternative platforms. I'm not convinced offering mini games really is an effective way to draw people into a home console, smart device owners prove themselves to be fickle, wanting stuff for free/cheap. Are they really going to splash £200 on a new console because they had a turd whilst playing Mario Candy Ninja? I suppose we will have to wait and see. I was always going to be critical of the move, a few exceptions aside mobile gaming is lowest common denominator pants.

A joint "membership" service sounds intriguingly though. Linking your smart device acheivemnets with your NNID would be a nice touch, a common gaming profile across all devices. Perhaps this is confirmation that the new loyalty programme will cover smart device purchases too?

40l.jpg

Moriyasu:

Our new business alliance, as Iwata-san discussed earlier, consists of two parts. One is to jointly develop and operate gaming apps that use Nintendo IP, for smart devices. The other is to build together Nintendo’s new online membership service.

That's the only part of this that gives me a glimmer of hope from this...

It makes me think that it's not going to take away too much time from Nintendo's developers if DeNA would be the primary developer, with Nintendo staff just giving development advice and guidance...

Still... It still feels like the beginning of the end :( How long until it swallows up the majority of their development staff?

Edited by Dcubed

Still... It still feels like the beginning of the end :( How long until it swallows up the majority of their development staff?

They had to do something though. They've lost a massive amount of market and mind share this generation. Add to the fact that, despite some great sellers on the 3DS, the mobile market is a massive player in the gaming world now, especially in Japan.

My main concern is the same one I have with QoL. If either of these business ventures become stupidly successful for Nintendo, then why even bother with dedicated gaming consoles in the first place? Especially if they continue to lose out in the console space.

Yes, at the moment they say that dedicated hardware is still their bread and butter but for how long? Many on here said they would never allow for their IPs to star in mobile games, yet here we are.

Times, they are a changin. Whether this is a good thing remains to be seen.