NEurope
Emerald Emblem

Formula 1 2015

F1 doesn't seem the same since some of the new restrictions have come into force. Plus, as you said, since the F1 is more or less exclusive to Sky these days (and probably won't come back fully to the terrestrial channels until Bernie has gone*) not as many of us can watch the races, suppose it's lucky i've got it at the moment so can watch all the races.

*Yes, he's greedy

Overall, apart from Verstappens crash, Monacco was pretty boring this year. But, at least McLaren scored their first points. Wonder if Maldonado will actually finish a race this year, he's not having a lot of luck.

I can kinda see why it's on sky. I mean, they have a channel dedicated to the sport, which is awesome for the fans that do have a sky sub. They definitely offer alot.

Oh, don't get me wrong. Sky's F1 coverage is exceptional, it's more or less an all day event with the track parade, the hour or so leading to the race, the race itself and the post race coverage. Then they've got a weekly F1 show and show various other aspects to motor racing.

In fact, they should just put all motorsport onto this channel, if they've not done so already.

Edited by Jimbob

Oh my god, that video is absolutely incredible. I would genuinely pay to watch that on a big screen :)

So, the Canadian GP this weekend. Should be a good one, hopefully Merc don't do what they did in Monacco again.

If they do at least someone can overtake in Canada.

True, and there would be no complaints this time around.

Fellow F1 fans, I have questions for those that have attended Silverstone/ any GPs.

My friend is off on a trip to Canada to watch the GP this weekend and I thought it would be a great idea to finally go see it and get another ticket as a present for my dad. Though I think he'll be in the US for 2015, I'm just a far ahead thinker for 2016.

Just a couple of questions:

a) When do tickets normally come out? Research suggests January?

b) Is it a worthwhile experience?

c) Would you recommend general admission or another area/ ticket type?

d) Is it really worth going all 3 days or just for race day? Obviously, it is economically more efficient to go for 3 days as the price isn't much higher, but then you have accomodation/ travel time and costs factoring in to that as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Fellow F1 fans, I have questions for those that have attended Silverstone/ any GPs.

My friend is off on a trip to Canada to watch the GP this weekend and I thought it would be a great idea to finally go see it and get another ticket as a present for my dad. Though I think he'll be in the US for 2015, I'm just a far ahead thinker for 2016.

d) Is it really worth going all 3 days or just for race day? Obviously, it is economically more efficient to go for 3 days as the price isn't much higher, but then you have accomodation/ travel time and costs factoring in to that as well.

So is it Canada you're going to go to as well but in 2016?

I think it depends when tickets go on sale. Certainly I've always bought mine in the year of the race, but I have a feeling some races like Silverstone start releasing theirs not long after that years Grand Prix. It usually seems to be within the first few months of the year that GP's offer discounts from 5% (in the case of Spa) to 20% on their tickets. Although again, this window may be staggered to when the race takes place.

Is it a worthwhile experience, absolutely!

Monza was one of the best experiences/holidays of my life (thanks to the weather, fans, access, history), and Spa is right up there with it too (because again the weather was largely fantastic and the track is just so cool to walk around). Sure some of that might depend on the weather, the atmosphere at the circuit, where you're watching it from etc... but pick a good track and you're in for a fantastic time. Canada would certainly be that.

What ticket again depends on the circuit you choose and how much you want to spend.

If you're going to a circuit with a high chance of rain, you might find having a grandstand with a roof makes a massive difference to how much you enjoy it. Then there's the type of experience you want. Do you want to sit on the pit straight and see the cars and grid in the build up to the race, watch the race start and have good access to the podium at the end of the race. Or does the track you're going to have something very special about it that it's worth experiencing, such as Eau Rouge at Spa? For a track like Hungary, a general admission ticket actually provides you some of the best views of the circuit.

Again if it's Canada you're thinking about, the grandstands at the turn 2 hairpin look like a fantastic place to watch from.

How many days is it worth going for?

Well for me Thursday is a fantastic day to spend at the circuit and that's only available with a 3 day ticket. Typically the crowds are far lower, you can spend your time walking around the track, perhaps deciding where to watch the race from if you have a general admission ticket. They also open up the pits for a pit walk and an opportunity to see drivers and get autographs. If you're going abroad, then making a holiday out of it and getting a 3 day ticket tends to make sense. Maybe you don't go to the circuit on the Friday, or Friday morning/afternoon if you want to do some site seeing.

Edited by Retro_Link

I have been finding it a little hard to get into this year. The drama between Rosberg and Hamilton is all that is keeping it interesting.. A bit like how the drama between Webber and Vettel kept things interesting a few years back.

The noise is definitely missing.. I really miss the high pitched 'pinging' noise of engines being pushed to their breaking points.

*drool*

I have been finding it a little hard to get into this year. The drama between Rosberg and Hamilton is all that is keeping it interesting.. A bit like how the drama between Webber and Vettel kept things interesting a few years back.

The noise is definitely missing.. I really miss the high pitched 'pinging' noise of engines being pushed to their breaking points.

*drool*

For me, the cars just don't look exciting enough in race trim. They are clearly far too heavy and tyre limited. I wish they were 3-4s a lap faster :(

So is it Canada you're going to go to as well but in 2016?

I think it depends when tickets go on sale. Certainly I've always bought mine in the year of the race, but I have a feeling some races like Silverstone start releasing theirs not long after that years Grand Prix. It usually seems to be within the first few months of the year that GP's offer discounts from 5% (in the case of Spa) to 20% on their tickets. Although again, this window may be staggered to when the race takes place.

Is it a worthwhile experience, absolutely!

Monza was one of the best experiences/holidays of my life (thanks to the weather, fans, access, history), and Spa is right up there with it too (because again the weather was largely fantastic and the track is just so cool to walk around). Sure some of that might depend on the weather, the atmosphere at the circuit, where you're watching it from etc... but pick a good track and you're in for a fantastic time. Canada would certainly be that.

What ticket again depends on the circuit you choose and how much you want to spend.

If you're going to a circuit with a high chance of rain, you might find having a grandstand with a roof makes a massive difference to how much you enjoy it. Then there's the type of experience you want. Do you want to sit on the pit straight and see the cars and grid in the build up to the race, watch the race start and have good access to the podium at the end of the race. Or does the track you're going to have something very special about it that it's worth experiencing, such as Eau Rouge at Spa? For a track like Hungary, a general admission ticket actually provides you some of the best views of the circuit.

Again if it's Canada you're thinking about, the grandstands at the turn 2 hairpin look like a fantastic place to watch from.

How many days is it worth going for?

Well for me Thursday is a fantastic day to spend at the circuit and that's only available with a 3 day ticket. Typically the crowds are far lower, you can spend your time walking around the track, perhaps deciding where to watch the race from if you have a general admission ticket. They also open up the pits for a pit walk and an opportunity to see drivers and get autographs. If you're going abroad, then making a holiday out of it and getting a 3 day ticket tends to make sense. Maybe you don't go to the circuit on the Friday, or Friday morning/afternoon if you want to do some site seeing.

Sorry I was a little unclear. My mate has gone to Canada which made me think about Silverstone, given it is easier to get to for a first time to a GP.

Great answers though, will have to consider the 3 day ticket if it gets the fourth visit day as well! Thanks :)

@Goron_3 can give you some good advice about Silverstone I'm sure.

For a while Silverstone was the only circuit that didn't seem to do Thursday access, you'll have to double check, I have a feeling they might do their pitwalks on the Saturday or Sunday?

1. I'm not sure when tickets come out but it's around new year or even before. We got our tickets using Silverstone finance (0% interest!) and we'll be at Stowe this year.

2. Yes, it's incredible. My jaw dropped the first time I saw a F1 car..even under the current regulations they are stunning. I was sat at Copse last year when Alonso overtook Vettel around the outside...it's something I'll remember for a long time.

3. GA at Silverstone gives you some great views but you need to get there VERY early (like 8am) to get a good view. For that reason alone I'd recommend getting a grandstand seat..Vale/Club offer great views as does Luffield. Stowe is brilliant too...watching cars come flying at 300kph is pretty special.

4. If it's your first time I'd recommend going on Saturday and Sunday. 3 days is pretty intense and exhausting...P3, Qualifying and the Race is perfect :-)

So, the Canadian Gp

Bit boring really, but the biggest news is not only has Pastor Maldonado finished his first race of 2015 and scored points, he didn't cause a crash either.

1. I'm not sure when tickets come out but it's around new year or even before. We got our tickets using Silverstone finance (0% interest!) and we'll be at Stowe this year.

2. Yes, it's incredible. My jaw dropped the first time I saw a F1 car..even under the current regulations they are stunning. I was sat at Copse last year when Alonso overtook Vettel around the outside...it's something I'll remember for a long time.

3. GA at Silverstone gives you some great views but you need to get there VERY early (like 8am) to get a good view. For that reason alone I'd recommend getting a grandstand seat..Vale/Club offer great views as does Luffield. Stowe is brilliant too...watching cars come flying at 300kph is pretty special.

4. If it's your first time I'd recommend going on Saturday and Sunday. 3 days is pretty intense and exhausting...P3, Qualifying and the Race is perfect :-)

If you don't mind me asking. How much did you pay?

If you don't mind me asking. How much did you pay?

GA is normally £180 but we paid £300 each this year (over 9 months I believe). Silverstone is unfortunately very expensive but I love the atmosphere, the cars and the racing so it's a win-win for me.

Canadian GP was boring.

Like Australia, it's a track that's suffered with these new regs. Every other lap it's 'save fuel' or 'watch the brakes'. Remember when cars used to fly across the kerbs and against the walls, lap after lap?

Like Australia, it's a track that's suffered with these new regs. Every other lap it's 'save fuel' or 'watch the brakes'. Remember when cars used to fly across the kerbs and against the walls, lap after lap?
I almost would prefer them to stop referring to the 'wall of champions', because the cars have barely seemed troubled there for a few years now. If anything they're more likely to clip a wall at turn 4 or 9... unless a stupid sausage kerb launches them into it.

I almost would prefer them to stop referring to the 'wall of champions', because the cars have barely seemed troubled there for a few years now. If anything they're more likely to clip a wall at turn 4 or 9... unless a stupid sausage kerb launches them into it.

There actually used to be a gravel trap on the exit of the chicane to stop people jumping it, which meant that it was much more difficult to find the limit of the corner..nowadays, if you mess the corner up you can just skip it, unfortunately.

Man, those 2017 regulations can't come fast enough.

Didn't quite understand all them blue flags on unlapped cars, i mean what were they thinking.

I thought the Canadian GP was a frustrating watch being a Hamilton, Button and Kimi fan. Rosberg was told to attack and Hamilton kept getting constant radio messages to slow and coast due to lack of fuel despite using less than his rival. Kimi spinning and McClaren looking absolutely the underpowered crap it is, when are they going to turn it around?

One thing is for sure, Mercedes is on fire this season. Hamilton and Rosberg are turning each race tracks into their own playground. Those 2 drivers are taking their turns for the number one spot. Let's see who's going to dominate this season's F1 Drivers' Championship but for me, it will be Hamilton.

Fantastic GP at Silverstone this weekend, a real shot in the arm for the season. Almost gutted Williams didn't at least get a podium though. I hope we get at least a couple more races like that, maybe the season will be viewed more fondly.