NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
CoolFunkMan

Muse - Drones (8th June)

Two days ago I've seen Muse for the third time.

Setlist

1. Psycho (w/ Drill Sergeant)
  2. New Born
  3. Supermassive Black Hole
  4. Dead Inside
  5. Hysteria (w/ Interlude and Back in Black outro)
  6. Animals
  7. Varia Jam (NEW JAM!!!)
  8. Apocalypse Please (!!!)
  9. Stockholm Syndrome (w/ Township Rebellion riff outro)
  10. Plug In Baby
  11. Mercy
  12. Time is running out
  13. Reapers (w/ Hullaballoons)
  14. JFK
  15. Uprising (w/ extended outro)
  16. Starlight
  17. Knights of Cydonia (w/ Man With a Harmonica)

It was insane. Psycho and New Born right off the bat :awesome:

And Apocalypse Please. Can't believe how awesome that was. A bit disappointed that they switched Bliss (they played it in Munich the day before) with Plug in Baby but hey...I've seen Bliss live already, so that's cool :D

It was an amazing night. 90 minutes of pure awesomeness.

Edit: Oh come on, Spotify...don't tease me like that :(

GnR0sF9.jpg

By the way: There's a rumor we'll get The Handler today. : peace:

Edited by drahkon

I went to two dates of the Psycho Tour in March and I've been dying to hear a studio version of Reapers since... and holy shit, they're really going for it with Drones!

Is anyone going to Download next week?

Two days ago I've seen Muse for the third time.

*Setlist*

It was insane. Psycho and New Born right off the bat :awesome:

And Apocalypse Please. Can't believe how awesome that was. A bit disappointed that they switched Bliss (they played it in Munich the day before) with Plug in Baby but hey...I've seen Bliss live already, so that's cool :D

It was an amazing night. 90 minutes of pure awesomeness.

Edit: Oh come on, Spotify...don't tease me like that :(

GnR0sF9.jpg

By the way: There's a rumor we'll get The Handler today. : peace:

That's a pretty awesome setlist tbh, looked like ana awesome gig! I'd love to see AP live.

Also, it appears Drones will be up for streaming on Spotify on Friday. It says that's the release date on all regions on the site, so I assume it'll start from then. Mind you, the album is out in some countries by then anyway.

If we do get The Handler today, I'm not sure if I want to listen to it yet, I've heard too much of Drones already, I want there to be some surprises on the album. You should see the official forums at the moment, they're going mental!

I went to two dates of the Psycho Tour in March and I've been dying to hear a studio version of Reapers since... and holy shit, they're really going for it with Drones!

Is anyone going to Download next week?

Awesome, I went to the Manchester one, it was incredible! Which dates did you go to? I'm going to be at Download next week, I'm going for the five night camping. Should the a good one. :yay:

That's a pretty awesome setlist tbh, looked like ana awesome gig! I'd love to see AP live.

It was. And the crowd was fucking nuts :laughing: It sure helped that the venue needed to be changed due to some weird circumstances. It was basically a Muse concert and not a festival :awesome:

Mind you, the album is out in some countries by then anyway.

The album is released in Germany on Friday :bowdown: However, I'll be on vacation then.

BUT I'll have access to WLAN, so I'll be all over Spotify :D

If we do get The Handler today, I'm not sure if I want to listen to it yet, I've heard too much of Drones already, I want there to be some surprises on the album.

I'm considering doing the same, but I know myself...I will listen to The Handler right away. :D

Edit: And of course, I did.

This album is going to be amazing.

Edited by drahkon

Couldn't resist The Handler either. Holy shit, it's incredible!!! The songs keep getting better. :D

Couldn't resist The Handler either. Holy shit, it's incredible!!!

One reddit post suggested listening to the songs Showbiz and The Handler back to back.

Do it...

I said it once, I'll say it again: Drones appears to become a culmination of Muse at their best.

Even with only a couple of new songs released in the past weeks it feels like The Resistance and The 2nd Law were supposed to be build-ups for Drones.

One reddit post suggested listening to the songs Showbiz and The Handler back to back.

Do it...

I said it once, I'll say it again: Drones appears to become a culmination of Muse at their best.

Even with only a couple of new songs released in the past weeks it feels like The Resistance and The 2nd Law were supposed to be build-ups for Drones.

I'll definitely be doing that when I get home, cheers for the tip! I remember Matt Bellamy saying in interviews that The Handler harks back to Showbiz, and I can really see it.

I couldn't agree more either, this is definitely Muse at their best, this album is turning out to be incredible! I have to say, The Handler alone is definitely one of the best tracks they've released in the past 6 years!

Si8fr3c.jpg

No, this is not mine. Someone on reddit just posted it.

It will leak soon...........................................

Apparently, it has leaked (but not sure where.) I'm going to hold off until I get it though, it'll be more of a special occasion then!

Apparently, it has leaked (but not sure where.) I'm going to hold off until I get it though, it'll be more of a special occasion then!

Wanted to do the same as I only got the as of yet unreleased tracks via a source

But I completed it with the official downloads for the released tracks and I can't resist.

Dead Inside playing now and the rest will follow

Wanted to do the same as I only got the as of yet unreleased tracks via a source

But I completed it with the official downloads for the released tracks and I can't resist.

Dead Inside playing now and the rest will follow

Oh god, you should see the official .mu forums... they're tearing the last few tracks apart. Apparently, JFK and Defector are good, then it all goes downhill from there. I'm a bit scared now. Although it is the official forums, they're harsh over there...

EDIT: Just seen your hidden text, haha! XD Let me know what the last half is like. :)

Edited by CoolFunkMan

Although it is the official forums, they're harsh over there...

Yeah, I remember the "Unsustainable-fallout"...people where going apeshit.

I love Unsustainable. :awesome:

Anyway.

Dead Iniside - Nice opening. Reminiscent of The Resistance and The 2nd Law. Sets a good exposition for what is to follow.

[Drill Sergeant] - The first interlude, the protagonist's downfall begins.

Psycho - A song that I loved from the get-go and it grew even more on me. You have been made a fucking Psycho. Rock 'n' Roll, baby.

Mercy - A cry for help and a subtle hint of hope. Clearly something from the Black Holes and Revelations era.

Reapers - Hope is being destroyed. The protagonist knows that HERE COME THE DRONES. I stand by what I said: The "Dronesiest track on the album.

The Handler - Hope has been destroyed but something else is ascending. A revolution is coming. Lyrically - what I would call - a successor to the track Showbiz. Musically something from Absolution.

[JFK] -

For we are opposed around the world

By a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy

That relies primarily on covert means

For expanding its sphere of influence

Interlude no 2. Strings and guitar adding to the speech. It's really something.

Defector - The revolution is here. An uprising. However, Defector does not sound like The Resistance's opener. Queen is definitely an influence. It's quite a heavy track.

Revolt - The protagonist is fighting and hope is back, which is reflected musically. A "pop" song. Feels a bit out of place but it's easy to listen to and actually growing on me by the minute.

Aftermath - Love, a force that may conquer everything in the end. Beautiful song. This will play at my wedding.

The Globalist - A realization that defeating the enemy with all your might may result in collateral damage. The protagonist just needed to be loved. The band shouldn't have called it a sequel to Citizen Erased - It shares similarities, both musically and lyrically and yet - weirdly enough - it is something else entirely.

Drones - Matt said: "It's a lament for the victims, it ends on this ghostly chorus of the frogotten, they will never see justice, and they have been killed by a robot, there's something inherently tragic about humanity there". Eery and spiritual. The end to a sorrowful story which incidentally can serve as a loop back to the beginning of the album.

Now, what is my 'verdict'? Objectively Revolt can be considered as the worst track on the album. Subjectively I find the song to be good. And each of the other ones is much better.

It's a well-rounded concept album. I enjoyed it from start to finish. It has everything that makes Muse, well...Muse.

After listening to the album for the second time I'm sure I will eventually come to not only enjoy it more but to love it. :)

My copy of this has just shipped from Rakuten! :D

Only cost me £5.88 from seller 'YouWantItWeGotIt' this was when they had that £5 off £10 when the site went into meltdown, I don't like using the site any more but I knew I'd be wanting this CD so I figured it'd be worth the hassle. : peace:

I've always enjoyed listening to Muse over the years and this seems like it's going to be a more than worthy addition to the library. :)

After my first listen through. The album starts off rocking, Muse style, trends towards Queen in the middle, and then finishes with something like Pink Floyd psychedelia. Not bad, but not the ending I was expecting. Will have to listen more. I always need multiple listens before I settle on my opinion.

Pfff, I've already formed my opinion based on what other people have told me. Why waste time listening to it!

Ordered my copy yesterday, so who knows when it'll get here.

Good to hear the ending isn't as bad as people were making it out to be, then! :) Still waiting until my copy arrives, before giving it a full listen. I've still had no confirmation off the official store about my order though, so I may not be getting it early like I'd hoped. :hmm:

Also, according to Matt Bellamy in a recent interview, they're going to play a "one-off set of rarities, b-sides and heavy tracks" at Download. Cannot. Fucking. Wait!!! :yay:

Oh, and I listened to Showbiz (the song), followed by The Handler. It's perfect!

It arrived!!! My Deluxe Edition arrived!!! And it's beautiful!!

11412133_10152801069666433_8725886657209166704_n.jpg?oh=5f582bc3e087e1c76688891dd1abb1e5&oe=55F1734C&__gda__=1441517842_1292b203d91f986ae0e71ce8668df444

11391136_10152801069836433_7037069639309847253_n.jpg?oh=0e7f35a2f2b5707ce2e3658a3c608d8c&oe=55FF6641

1908146_10152801074581433_1444120419678904960_n.jpg?oh=f43956de6d2bfc76ad3502c913838701&oe=5603E161

1908145_10152801080356433_532358276535206496_n.jpg?oh=876e95a1d9eeb6505dd702f8d17ee329&oe=56058305

11406913_10152801080651433_7068162414688413208_n.jpg?oh=1f2b7b7a8e7a578db609e0bc6925cb7d&oe=55E7FC53

I'll edit my post with opinions when I'm done listening to it. On Mercy at the moment! :grin:

My copy arrived today as well, just the standard CD but at just over a fiver I can't really complain. :)

Really good on first listen, it's as has been said already by londragon, definite Muse to start off with then moving into a Queen inspired tone with quite a long track at the end, I think just so long as you aren't expecting there to be a 'Knights of Cydonia' finishing track then you'll enjoy it; besides it has been around a decade since Black Holes & Revelations so I don't think anyone would be thinking that we'd be getting a final track like that ever again, fantastic as it was and still is. : peace:

Obvious favourite tracks are...

Dead Inside

Psycho

Reapers

Revolt

While the tracks which will likely grow on me...

The Handler

Aftermath

The Globalist/Drones

I include the last two tracks as one because it basically is just one big twelve minute track with some thematic transition towards the end.

One the whole though, probably their best album in a while, also being that it's a concept album this seems to lend itself very well to their style which they seem to have settled into over the past few albums, the sparingly used samples work very well too.

It will be nice to appreciate more of it on future listens. :D

Also... loving the artwork inside the sleeve notes. :smile:

Muse are definitely back in style. :awesome:

Ok, finished listening to it. Absolutely love it, there's not a single track I hate. I do admit, the second half is a bit weird, but I still really like it. Definitely their most coherent album since Absolution, in my opinion. Not exactly the return to form I was expecting, but Muse are definitely back on track!

So, my ratings:

Dead Inside 9/10

Drill Sergeant + Psycho 9.5/10

Mercy 8/10

Reapers 10/10

The Handler 10/10

JFK + Defector 8/10

Revolt 7/10

Aftermath 9/10

The Globalist + Drones 8.5/10

And my album rankings:

OoS > Abosultion > BH&R = Drones > TR > Showbiz > T2L

Aftermath is such a beautiful piece of music.

I get goosebumps every single time.

States are crumbling

Walls are rising high again

It's no place for the faint-hearted

But my heart is strong

Because now I know where I belong

It's you and I against the world

We are free

I've not given it a proper listen just yet but I had it on shuffle in the gym just now and thought it was great.

So, Download Festival was amazing, and my god, Muse were phenomenal! They promised a heavier setlist, and they delivered it, everything about it was top notch. Some friends in the group I was camping with weren't sure about seeing them, but I convinced them to go, and they all said they loved it afterwards. Plus I've even heard that some hardcore metal heads, who have been going to Download for years, said that Muse out-performed Slipknot. That's definitely not a statement to be taken lightly!

Dat setlist tho...

1. Psycho (+ Drill Sergeant intro)

2. The Handler

3. New Born (+ Ashamed + Microphone Fiend riff outro)

4. Interlude + Hysteria (+ Back in Black riff outro)

5. Micro Cuts

6. Dead Star

7. Agitated

8. Citizen Erased

9. Munich Jam

10. Dead Inside

11. Supermassive Black Hole

12. Mercy

13. Time Is Running Out (+ Heartbreaker riff intro)

14. Reapers

15. Stockholm Syndrome (+ Township Rebellion riff outro)

----------------------------------------------------------------

16. JFK + Uprising (+ Extended outro)

17. Plug In Baby

18. Knights of Cydonia

All I can say is, I'm so fucking proud of Muse, and to be a fan right now! :grin:

I've gone off Muse big time since Black Holes, but Merrrrrrrccccyyy has been stuck in my head all week and it's one hell of a tune. Especially right before the chorus.

I'm not going to give them ratings, but i've had a proper few listens now, and i've got my favourites. I really like Defector, Reapers, The Handler, The Globalist, Dead Inside and Psycho.

Not that keen on Mercy, Revolt, Aftermath or Drones.

But still, that's a pretty good hit rate for an album.

Sign in to follow this