NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

OlliOlli2: Welcome to Olliwood

I've downloaded this as it's free on Plus and oh my, it's quite addictive.

I found the control system a bit backwards at first. But, you become adjusted to it and can soon start racking up the high scores quickly.

It's quite pretty in a strange sort of way. Great soundtrack, too. :D

I can see it gathering a small cult following.

Thought I'd give it a try and it's awesome fun, and a really good challenge. It's definitely a game you can pick up and play in little bursts.

Yeah, awesome game once you get into it. :awesome:

The fact that momentum is pretty much automated means you can just concentrate on tricks and timing, which is great. icon14.gif

I am increasingly worried about wearing out the left stick on my DS4 though. :heh: Developers missed a trick (LOL) by not mapping ollies to the D-Pad, or at least offering the option to recalibrate the controls.

Mind you, that would've made inputting the trick commands more difficult, and I still can't get those double rotation tricks to work, even using the analog stick! :shakehead

Anyway, definitely recommend everyone on PS+ check this game out.

: peace:

Played this a fair bit over the weekend and absolutely love it, it's definitely a 'just one more go' type of game.

I've completed most of the amateur challenges but the difficulty certainly ramps up on the titan sky levels, not sure what's gonna break first, my thumbs or the sticks on my DS4 trying to pull off these tricks and challenges!

@RedShell get some thumb grips for your DS4, saves you wearing out the sticks on your controller. :)

I may be too dumb for this game :(

Just can't wrap my head around the mechanics. I know how they work - theoretically, but somehow I cannot put them into practice. Which is weird, because I never had that problem in any other game :blank:

How do you make tricks when you jump after a grind? I can only seem to 'ollie-off' a rail...sometimes I get the occasional kickflip to work with no idea how I managed to do that.

Help? :laughing:

I may be too dumb for this game :(

Just can't wrap my head around the mechanics. I know how they work - theoretically, but somehow I cannot put them into practice. Which is weird, because I never had that problem in any other game :blank:

How do you make tricks when you jump after a grind? I can only seem to 'ollie-off' a rail...sometimes I get the occasional kickflip to work with no idea how I managed to do that.

Help? :laughing:

I had this problem as well and it took some practice in the skatepark to solve it. First I mastered the trick I wanted to do on its own and then started trying it off the rails and found if you perform the trick a good bit before the rail ends you'll start doing it every time, if you wait to the end of the rail you'll just do an Ollie. Also if the trick requires L1 or R1 keep them held down or you wont perform the trick you want, hope this makes sense and helps.

I had this problem as well and it took some practice in the skatepark to solve it. First I mastered the trick I wanted to do on its own and then started trying it off the rails and found if you perform the trick a good bit before the rail ends you'll start doing it every time, if you wait to the end of the rail you'll just do an Ollie. Also if the trick requires L1 or R1 keep them held down or you wont perform the trick you want, hope this makes sense and helps.

Also to add once you are in a grind you can move the stick to another position ready for your next trick as long as you don't actually let go of the stick.

I tip my hat to anyone that gets the platinum trophy on this, it must be a nightmare to get through the entire game (especially the last few stages) on RAD Mode. :shakehead Starting to wonder if I'll even be able to unlock RAD Mode. :heh:

Finally manged to do all the tricks yesterday, but some of the challenges where you need to work specific tricks into a level-long combo are brutal! :o

The difficulty makes it even more addictive though, this is the perfect "just 1 more go" game. :grin:

Interested in picking up the first game on 3DS at some point. My only concern is being able to keep those classic Tony Hawk's Pro Skater impulses at bay :heh:

I tip my hat to anyone that gets the platinum trophy on this, it must be a nightmare to get through the entire game (especially the last few stages) on RAD Mode. :shakehead Starting to wonder if I'll even be able to unlock RAD Mode. :heh:

Finally manged to do all the tricks yesterday, but some of the challenges where you need to work specific tricks into a level-long combo are brutal! :o

The difficulty makes it even more addictive though, this is the perfect "just 1 more go" game. :grin:

The quick retry system in this is perfect. It's instantaneous. I said to myself that I'd have one quick 5 minutes session before bed but ended up playing for the full hour. It's addictive as hell.

The quick retry system in this is perfect. It's instantaneous. I said to myself that I'd have one quick 5 minutes session before bed but ended up playing for the full hour. It's addictive as hell.
Yeah, I was thinking about that the other day when attempting some of the challenges on the later levels (and therefore restarting a lot ;)), it's great how fast it is. icon14.gif

Yeah, I was thinking about that the other day when attempting some of the challenges on the later levels (and therefore restarting a lot ;)), it's great how fast it is. icon14.gif

I've slowly come around to the idea of using the control stick for tricks and the x button to land. It seemed so alien at first but now I've got the hang of it. The first 15 minutes, all I saw was SLOPPY. SLOPPY. SLOPPY. Grr.

Made this vid in Share Factory a while back, but forgot to upload it:

Gotta love the PS4's vid recording/editing features. icon14.gif

I played a bit more of this yesterday. The Carnival of the Dead's levels are pretty hard, aren't they? It might have just been me not being in the zone, but the retry button got used a lot yesterday.:D

I played a bit more of this yesterday. The Carnival of the Dead's levels are pretty hard, aren't they? It might have just been me not being in the zone, but the retry button got used a lot yesterday.:D
Yep. :D

Its tough just to reach the end on a lot of the later levels, let alone do the challenges!

I managed to get all of the amateur challenges done eventually, but then soon realised I'd never be able to do all the Pro ones without either breaking my DS4 or going crazy. :heh:

After a long leave of absence, I've started replaying this game.

I completely understand why I stopped playing at the Carnival of the Dead levels. They are shit. Number three in particular. I've been on it for MORE than an hour and I still can't get to the end of it. :blank:

I've been wondering why I stopped playing this game and now I know. There's a huge, huge difficulty spike in this level and it just stops becoming fun. What a shame as the rest of the game is good.

One thing I do wish for in a sequel is for checkpoints. I know that there's the retry button, but that actually makes it even more demoralising once you realise that you just have...quicker access to start the whole thing again. Yay! There's nothing really good about having to do the level from its entirety. Maybe even two buttons. One button to restart the level again and one to redo the last checkpoint. Number 3 on Carnival is pretty long considering that you have to be completely focused and are doing something physically for the entire time.

I've wasted my time.

Sign in to follow this