NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Daft

CitizenFour (Channel 4 - 11PM)

I saw this last week and it won an Oscar on Sunday. It's on in about 10 minutes on Channel 4. I urge everyone to watch it, it's amazing.

Seriously, give it five minutes and you'll be hooked.

Saw it last night. It was incredible to see how the event unfolded over 8 days of leaking the information what NSA/GCHQ/etc are doing right now.

I watched it, thought it was really good.

Very cheeky of the US gov to take the "the law is the law" moral highground despite having their dubious spying tactics exposed. Shouldn't 'national security' also include keeping the government itself in check?

Very cheeky of the US gov to take the "the law is the law" moral highground despite having their dubious spying tactics exposed. Shouldn't 'national security' also include keeping the government itself in check?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

What is/was the general gist of this? Is it on 4OD? The subjects raised so far in the thread intrigue me...

Yes I believe it's on 4OD.

It's a documentary that chronicles the Edward Snowden revelations. It was filmed at the time, so it actually shows the meetings in Snowden's Hong Kong hotel room where he first meets the journalists and reveals what's going on in the NSA.

Saw it last night. It was incredible to see how the event unfolded over 8 days of leaking the information what NSA/GCHQ/etc are doing right now.

Yeah, it almost felt like a thriller.

Yeah, like Rummy said, who watches the watchmen? It's madness.

The point that my stomach really dropped was when Snoden said the US wished they had what they had going in the UK, with TEMPORA haveing access to the content.

Alsy, darkly cruel joke with the name 'Tempora' from Cicero, 'O tempora o mores!'

Can't help but think of this,

tumblr_macfm6pq4y1r24wn2o1_500.gif

I was reminded of this quote:

“It has been the one song of those who thirst after absolute power that the interest of the state requires that its affairs should be conducted in secret... But the more such arguments disguise themselves under the mask of public welfare, the more oppressive is the slavery to which they will lead... Better that right counsels be known to enemies than that the evil secrets of tyrants should be concealed from the citizens. They who can treat secretly of the affairs of a nation have it absolutely under their authority; and as they plot against the enemy in time of war, so do they against the citizens in time of peace.”

Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy

Sign in to follow this