NEurope
Kav

Playtonic Games (ex Rare employees)

I so excite. I will happily buy whatever console this gets released on. First game is called "Project Ukulele", a Banjo-Kazooie spirtual successor, and I for one cannot wait to see what they come up with.

I'm very excited to see what they can pull off. Rare were absolutely amazing back in the day and easily gave Nintendo a run for their money.

They are the music men

Since Playtonic’s official “coming out” last week , there’s been a brass band-load of speculation around who will weave musical fabric for our debut game – and pretty much all of it was accurate.

To be fair, that’s mostly thanks to our own relentless teasing on social media (oh, we do love a tease), which in particular caused the messiah-like Twitter status of a certain former-Rare composer to come crashing down on our doors, like a violent mob demanding steel drum melodies and catchy A cappella tunes.

But you can put down your shovels now, because today we can officially confirm that one Grant Kirkhope, legendary composer of Banjo-Kazooie, Viva Piñata and more, has agreed to make music for our first game. And what’s more, he’s agreed to do it for a regular wage of Yorkshire Teabags, which we’ll ship directly to his bleak, Tetley-free sound suite in rainy California (we may have hidden this detail in the small print).

But wait, there’s more! As charitable types, we don’t like to see any of our former noise makers go without work, and so we’ve managed to convince David Wise, equally legendary composer of 20-years-worth of Rare games including the Donkey Kong Country series, to contribute tunage to our first game. And all for a bumper box of Werther’s Originals.

Pulling it all together is the esteemed sound man Steve Burke, best known for his magical score for Kameo: Elements of Power and all manner of sound effects , voices and fart noises for Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts ‘n Bolts. Sadly, Steve insists on being paid in real currency.

Having Wise & Kirkhope on board will make for one hell of a soundtrack. The soundtrack for Kameo was epic so I approve of Burke adding to the team as well.

Having Wise & Kirkhope on board will make for one hell of a soundtrack. The soundtrack for Kameo was epic so I approve of Burke adding to the team as well.

Agreed, if nothing else the soundtrack at least should be nothing sort of stellar. :)

I'm off to listen to the Banjo-Kazooie soundtrack again right now purely because its been to long since I last listened to it. : peace:

Agreed, if nothing else the soundtrack at least should be nothing sort of stellar. :)

I'm off to listen to the Banjo-Kazooie soundtrack again right now purely because its been to long since I last listened to it. : peace:

The best way to listen to it is to play the game :love:

The standard one or the 164 track one?

The standard one or the 164 track one?

17 track... :/

I wish it was the 164 track one though. :(

I'm very excited to see what they can pull off. Rare were absolutely amazing back in the day and easily gave Nintendo a run for their money.

I love even just their basic humour and lightheartedness in making an announcement like that. I really hope whatever they do takes off and does well, and I hope as well that it includes Nintendo without being too much of a task for them.

Ofc, we've all been chasing ghosts of Rare for years, so I'll kinda take some of this with a pinch of salt for now. Having said that, I'm sure I recall Emily Rogers saying something similar to something like this happening a few months back, haven't kept up with anything by her for quite a while though.

Super Mario 64 & Conkers Bad Fur Day...

Man, I love my N64 <3

The lack of Banjo Kazooie in your post saddens and disappoints me. :(

PS4/Xbone only pls and let the Nintendo Board cry in agony :laughing:

Just kidding.

Can't wait to see what they are working on.

Hope it's better than their website, though. I think it's ass.

The lack of Banjo Kazooie in your post saddens and disappoints me. :(

Never played Banjo :( I'll have to ebay it one day...Believe it or not, Conker was the first Rare game I played!

You have the gamertag Goron360... so I'm guessing you have an Xbox 360, you know it was released on there in HD right?

Never played Banjo :( I'll have to ebay it one day...Believe it or not, Conker was the first Rare game I played!

url-17.gif

If you have a 360 then there's a better version available for that.

Speaking of all things Rare, as my physical game soundtrack is starting to grow I received Kameo: Elements of Power OST in the post today and am listening to it now. :D

It has been years since I last played the game so hearing it again is once again bringing back fond memories of playing through it on the Xbox 360 launch - I remember having both Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero before even having the system - but as we all know it had been in development since the early Gamecube era; it still has an air of classic Rare to it. :)

Getting hold of Steve Burke to oversee the soundtrack is definitely a master-stroke on Playtonic's part as this will only mean good things for the music as a whole when you combine that with the expertise of Grant Kirkhope and David Wise... it's almost too much! :hehe:

I know it's technically too early to get hyped, especially as we won't be seeing or hearing anything significant about the project for a couple of weeks yet but still, this has huge amounts of potential. : peace:

I subscribed to their newsletter, but I need to see footage before I get excited. So now, I wait. Or rather, I forget about it until there's news.

“Imagine there’s an alternative timeline where Rare became independent instead of being bought by Microsoft. What would that company be like? What would it have gone on to become? That’s our ambition,” says Gavin Price, one of the designers of Viva Piñata and the man spearheading the new company.

“Rare as it is now with Microsoft is all right. I had some great times. But our aim is to make some really cracking games in the style that we used to make them, not focusing just on certain types of games, but how we make them – that was unique to Rare and we know how we did it.

http://www.gamesradar.com/core-members-banjo-kazooie-team-reveal-ambitious-startup-playtonic/

FF6FA166-A0E6-4FFF-8147-4D0D537C23E8_zpsqgxsa1kf.jpg

Edited by Kav