NEurope
Dan_Dare

Hearthstone: Heroes Of Warcraft

Anyone else playing? This is my GOTY for 2014 and one of my all time favourites.

For the uninitiated: HS is a free to play collectable card game by Blizzard that pits players against each other in tactical duels of minions, spells and weapons to see who has the best deck. It's clever, engrossing and driven by an extraordinary community of obsessive fans and dedicated pros.

As you can probably tell, I'm in *deep* with this game. Anyone else??

Didn't know it was a free game, though I know it's got a competitive scene of sorts, as they play it up at Meltdown in Londontown. How do they make money if it's free? Also...is it on linux? :D

Edited by Rummy

It's free to play with in game transactions. I actually talk about HS when I talk about F2P done right because the price model and everything is just handled really well. Have you played Magic: The Gathering or any other TCG? the principal is the same -you buy 'booster packs' of cards for either real cash or in game currency.

The good thing is that the in game currency is pretty generous and, unlike mobile f2p there's no 'pay to win' or paywalling. In fact, the game is dominated by some of the cheapest decks in the meta - measured by real money or card value / rarity. The excellent game balancing also keeps the game in check of being a runaway for big spenders.

I'd really recommend giving it a try as it's totally viable to play for free and get in to the game and any money you do spend is dependent on how much you value the game. Personally, it's one of my all time favourites so I've spent a decent amount. Horses for courses though innit/

I never took too well to Magic, though I only learnt the rules a in the last couple years, and kept getting them wrong lol. Only other TCG I've probably played woulda been Pokemon well back in the day, but I've had quite a variety of tabletop stuff and can imagine getting into a TCG-style game. Your description of how this is handled does make me feel a little tempted to get into...which may be all the more reason to tidy up my house and get my PC sorted/setup properly - almost all of my computing is done on my linux laptop(hence my earlier linux reference).

I'm currently not playing Magic, but I've invested over $ 300,- in digital cards, and those aren't going away. I can see some appeal to players new to TCGs, but personally I prefer the plethora of options in Magic.

And a quick side note, if you want to be competitive in Magic, then yes, you need to invest some money, but if you just want to play and have fun, you really don't have to spend much. In fact, you can play for free too, but your options are somewhat limited then.

I'm currently not playing Magic, but I've invested over $ 300,- in digital cards, and those aren't going away. I can see some appeal to players new to TCGs, but personally I prefer the plethora of options in Magic.

And a quick side note, if you want to be competitive in Magic, then yes, you need to invest some money, but if you just want to play and have fun, you really don't have to spend much. In fact, you can play for free too, but your options are somewhat limited then.

My mate did buy me Magic on Steam(same one who showed me the game IRL) but I never fired it up to play. I haven't logged onto Steam much in the last year(trying to save monies, also...linux) so I never tried the digital versions as it were. I much prefer what Dan's saying about the F2P model and Hearthstone though, and something I'll consider for when I sort my PC/life out.

I started an account on this a few days ago... I feel like such a noob haha.

I managed to win a few matches online (more than I lost so that is something I guess), but I haven't even earned all the basic cards yet for all the classes. And fighting the experts in practice mode is often quite hard. >.>;

Easily my most played game for the last year or so. Been playing since beta, F2P but I have purchased the 2 expansions on release =/ Finish ranked seasons rank 5 or below, just don't have the time to be able to make a tilt at legendary :(

Enjoying the new tavern brawl, but I wish there was some kind of reason to play it more than one win for the card pack :(

Girlfriend has started playing a few months back, she likes it :)

I started playing this...4 hours ago. And I can't stop...can't wait to dive into deck building.