NEurope
Shorty

3DS Transfer Process

This thread to discuss 3DS transfer process. Ripped mostly from the MM thread.

Majora's Mask comes installed on the special New 3DS XL.

After completing the transfer process, the New 3DS retains the fact that it can be used to download MM, and you can then get it back from the store.

I'm going to add what I did, step by step, to move from a classic 3DS to a New 3DS XL with Majora's Mask pre-installed. I also bought a bigger Micro SD than the one that comes with the New 3DS XL.

Remember you need a tiny screwdriver

1. If necessary, format Micro SD to FAT 32 (in windows, right click > format...)
  2. Copied the contents of my 3DS SD card to my Micro SD
  3. Used a Micro SD adapter to continue using the new Micro SD in old 3DS
  4. Turn on New 3DS
  5. Make a profile, connect to internet, general setup - at no point make or log in to NNID
  6. Update New 3DS
  7. Turn on Original 3DS, update if necessary
  8. Start transfer process on both (system settings > other > system transfer)
  9. Select "Nintendo 3DS" on both
  10. Select "from this device" on original device, "to this device" on New 3DS
  11. On old 3DS, if you're using a normal SD card, select "yes" when asked, if using micro SD (like me) select "no"
  12. Follow remaining instructions and wait!
  13. Turn off old 3DS when it's back to initial setup and take out Micro SD card.
  14. Wait until New 3DS tells you to turn off and add SD card - do so then start it back up.
  15. Once everything's running on New 3DS, go to the eShop > Menu > Settings/Other > Scroll down to the History selection and press "Redownloadable Software", MM will be in there.

Edited by Shorty

Im confused.

So with MM being on the memory card already I dont know how I will be able to get it across. I want to use a larger Micro SD card for the new system so what do I do? MM wont be on my download list as my account is linked to my current 3DS

Don't try and link your NNID to the new 3ds, the target system can't have an account already linked to it. Perform the transfer from the old 3ds to the new one and the game will appear on your downloads list once the transfer is complete. Once you've transferred you can use whatever memory card you want.

Gotta love Royal Mail not even bothering to turn up and deliver even regular mail on my street today. My package was shipped yesterday morning first class. Hate them.

T

Don't try and link your NNID to the new 3ds, the target system can't have an account already linked to it. Perform the transfer from the old 3ds to the new one and the game will appear on your downloads list once the transfer is complete. Once you've transferred you can use whatever memory card you want.

Gotta love Royal Mail not even bothering to turn up and deliver even regular mail on my street today. My package was shipped yesterday morning first class. Hate them.

So the steps would be

1. Transfer contents of current SD card using PC to the micro SD Card that come with the Majoras Mask 3DS

2. Transfer the contents of the micro sd card that came with the majoras mask 3ds using pc to the micro sd card that I actually want to use.

Is that how you would do it to ensure I get MM on my system?

Edited by Blade

No, forget the contents of the new micro sd. You will have to download MM at the end of the process.

No, forget the contents of the new micro sd. You will have to download MM at the end of the process.

I'm thick, so bear with me.

I dont want to use the micro sd that comes with the majoras mask 3ds

So if i transfer using my pc the contents of my exisitng sd card to a unreleated micro sd then put it in thw majoras mask 3ds I can download MM?

But how does it know? I thought the game was installed on the sd card that comes with the MM 3DS?

I'm thick, so bear with me.

I dont want to use the micro sd that comes with the majoras mask 3ds

So if i transfer using my pc the contents of my exisitng sd card to a unreleated micro sd then put it in thw majoras mask 3ds I can download MM?

But how does it know? I thought the game was installed on the sd card that comes with the MM 3DS?

If you do a system transfer, MM will be deleted, but you will be able to re-download it after switching memory cards. It essentially merges your existing account with the New 3DS and copy of Majora's Mask.

Here's a guide of how to do it.

It's all very simple. Transfer the licences wirelessly, then copy everything onto the new micoSD card.

The one thing you mustn't do is create a NNID on the New 3DS, as that'd link Majora's Mask to that NNID rather than the one you're transferring over.

Anyone else fearing @Blade 's 3ds transfer? He sounds confused to me!

I'm literally stressed out over it.

My MM 3DS has been rearranged to come tomorrow. Ive got the day offwork.

I'm literally stressed out over it.

My MM 3DS has been rearranged to come tomorrow. Ive got the day offwork.

Mate, it's so simple.

I've explained this before, but I'll explain it again.

*presuming you have an sd adaptor for your micros SD card and you are using a newly purchased micro SD card bigger than the 4gb you get with the new 3DS*

Do this before your new 3ds turns up

- Take the SD card out of your CURRENT 3DS

- copy all files onto your laptop

- put the new micro SD card in the laptop and transfer those files on this micro sd

- put the micro SD card in your CURRENT 3DS

That's it. This is the step to stop you screwing everything up and speed up the transfer.

Then when your new 3DS turns up tomorrow you set tup the transfer on both devices from settings; click the right buttons, it's really obvious, and at the end put the micro sd card into the new machine. DONE!!!! Go to downloads and get your Majors Mask!!

I just kept the 4GB card in the New 3DS and transferred wirelessly, took just less then an hour and didn't have to unscrew, swap, put in a PC or anything. I'll not really buy much digitally so I'm ok with the 4GB, I had plenty left of the 2GB one on my old 3DS.

I just kept the 4GB card in the New 3DS and transferred wirelessly, took just less then an hour and didn't have to unscrew, swap, put in a PC or anything. I'll not really buy much digitally so I'm ok with the 4GB, I had plenty left of the 2GB one on my old 3DS.

Obviously this is a possibility too. Depends how much digital stuff you already own and plan to get. I have insane amounts so it would've taken over 10 hours or something stupid like that!! I did it in absolutely not time transferring the data in advance.

Yeah I'm gonna transfer wirelessly too as I don't have an SD card slot or adapter. I have Animal Crossing and ALBW digitally, plus the Ambassador stuff from a few years ago. Will just see how it goes.

Mate, it's so simple.

I've explained this before, but I'll explain it again.

*presuming you have an sd adaptor for your micros SD card and you are using a newly purchased micro SD card bigger than the 4gb you get with the new 3DS*

Do this before your new 3ds turns up

- Take the SD card out of your CURRENT 3DS

- copy all files onto your laptop

- put the new micro SD card in the laptop and transfer those files on this micro sd

- put the micro SD card in your CURRENT 3DS

That's it. This is the step to stop you screwing everything up and speed up the transfer.

Then when your new 3DS turns up tomorrow you set tup the transfer on both devices from settings; click the right buttons, it's really obvious, and at the end put the micro sd card into the new machine. DONE!!!! Go to downloads and get your Majors Mask!!

Would've been amazing if such a method actually worked for normal SD cards on my 3DS :(

I tried switching them like this and nothing showed up. Scoured dat internets and did everything that was suggested and got nowhere.

I'm gonna give it a go again since the New 3DS will be a blank slate, plus I don't wanna lose my saves, especially on Harvest Moon. I've only just gotten married.

What exactly has gone wrong? Maybe your new card is not formatted right? Here's exactly what I did.

1. Take old normal SD card out of original 3DS

2. Copy all files to new Micro SD (should be formatted as FAT 32)

3. Put new SD in adapter and put that into original 3DS

4. Update new 3DS

5. Start transfer process on both machines.

Edited by Shorty

I'm gonna give it a go again since the New 3DS will be a blank slate, plus I don't wanna lose my saves, especially on Harvest Moon. I've only just gotten married.

If only it was so easy to erase a normal marriage :heh:

What exactly has gone wrong? Maybe your new card is not formatted right? Here's exactly what I did.

4. Update new 3DS

When it was 2 SDs on the same 3DS I did all the formatting and shizzle but nothing happened. I'm going to buy a nice Micro SD card tomorrow to try when the New 3DS arrives, hopefully tomorrow also.

Did anyone who ordered the XL with free charger found their charger is coming separately? The dispatch email I got yesterday was apparently just for that. Got the actual N3DS dispatch email today.

4. Update new 3DS

You've totally lost me here (step 3). Why are you putting a new SD card (assume you mean micro SD into an adapter) into your old 3DS?

Why wouldn't you put your old SD card back into your old 3DS?

You've totally lost me here (step 3). Why are you putting a new SD card (assume you mean micro SD into an adapter) into your old 3DS?

Why wouldn't you put your old SD card back into your old 3DS?

Well this is just preparation. It means when you've done the tranfer you can just put the micro sd in the new 3ds without axtually transferring anything, just via the micro sd. But it needs to be in the original 3ds as you do the transfer. Then swap it at the end .

It all sounds way more complicated than it actually is!

Because transferring the files to your new card is just a time-saving step, it's not actually part of the transfer process.

I'm going to move all this stuff to a new thread so we can talk about MM!

I'm transferring my content wireless, so far reaching the 75% mark in just over 2 hours. It's moments like this i feel Nintendo need to come to the 21st Century and do Cloud transfers.

Still, watching the Pikmin is enjoyable.

Best piece of advice I have is to delete all of the actual games where you can separately keep the save data. Just keep the save data for everything then re-download the game on the new system as the Wifi is basically double the speed.

I'm confused as to why the transfer is taking two hours for some people over local wireless? :blank: (this is the option of transferring between two consoles yes? If you mean transferring wireless to a PC or something then I understand)

I understand if it's because of not doing the Micro SD card prep in advance - even then it shouldn't take that long - but really it makes it so much easier. :)

Pretty sure it only took me about half an hour to complete the transfer process to my New 3DS XL yesterday, half of that was trying to get the back off without scratching or breaking it. :heh: There seems to be a fair amount of force required in getting the back casing off the XL in comparison to removing the faceplates from the standard model, thankfully it's only something I'll ever have to do once. : peace: