NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fused King

#14 - N-Europe: Let's Talk Games (Journey)

So after a somewhat longer than usual hiatus :laughing: I have decided to grace N-Europe once more with conversation pieces.

Sharing opinions on games is what we do after playing them and then we get into an argument here or there only to realize once again that they are all just opinions. Usually that last part is lacking a bit, but oh well....: peace:

Well then, today I present to thee a game which is very close to my heart even though I probably won't ever get a chance to replay it.

journey-game-screenshot-1-b.jpg

A friend invited me over to try out some indie games on his PS3.

One of them was Journey.

I had heard good things but didn't really know what it was.

4 hours later I was incredibly moved by where gaming had come as a medium.

This was interactive art at its finest.

A short time span, almost like a movie, which grabs you, doesn't let you go, and you finish it within an evening.

The message of reincarnation, a timeless classic.

A grand example of spiritual gaming.

To me, this is a game which could convince people who know next to nothing about games to start appreciating its beauty, splendour and possibilities.

So how did you feel after the Journey?

So how did you feel after the Journey?
C&P: (forgive my laziness. :hehe:)
So I finally decided to download Journey tonight. Just finished playing through it in one sitting, and yeah, it was pretty amazing. :awesome:

It scared the shit out of me at one point too...

When you first encounter those things that attack you. I was proper into it by then (playing in a pitch black room with headphones on full blast) and the sound of that initial encounter almost gave me a fucking heart attack!

:laughing:

I'd literally just split from another player that was with me in the previous section too (unsure if that's done on purpose by the game or not) so I was all by myself. :heh:

Anyway, beautiful game. :love:

Glad I checked it out in the end.

Yeah, it's definitely a bit skimpy on the content. But I really like the vibe of it so can overlook that.

And it's such a relaxing experience (apart from certain moments :heh:) that I can see myself going back to it many times in the future, just to chill out. It's gonna be my digital stress ball. :D

Since then I re-played it several times, and went on to 100% the trophies too.

Will certainly check it out again on the PS4, whenever that may be. :)

tumblr_msyvii6Gxa1sn9pe7o1_500.gif

:love:

Amazing game and experience.

It manages achieve so much, by doing so little. You end up ( or at least I did ) caring for your character, despite the fact there is no dialogue or big, flashy cutscenes. Sublime music and gorgeous visuals make for a truly memorable experience that never overstays its welcome.

When people question if videogames can be considered a form of art, you only need to point them to Journey.

Sorry to destroy the party in here but here are my opinions from 27/5/2014 :blank:

..and I just finished Journey about an hour ago myself :heh: In all honesty, I was pretty disappointed :hmm:

I downloaded it months ago when it was on offer but felt like I wanted to wait until the 'right' time to absorb myself in it to see what everyone has been raving about. There are certainly some beautiful moments throughout and the music evocative but, for me, the game was lacking, well, a game.. :blank:

Presumably it was supposed to be all about the experience, the 'journey', but I kept feeling like I wanted something more from it all. I guess it just didn't grab me like I hoped it would, which is a shame as there is something there, just not enough..

I was debating whether to go through it whilst signed into the PlayStation Network or not, but in the end I decided to play it offline by myself.

Having finished the game alone, I'm not really sure if coming into contact with others would have made that much of a difference ::shrug: I was sort of under the impression, before I played it, that although you couldn't communicate with the other player you could sort of try to help each other out with the 'puzzles'. When you consider that there is never a single point in Journey where you have to scratch your head in the slightest, it almost feels like a bit of a missed opportunity :hmm:

It's a difficult one to judge as I feel like some additions to the gameplay could have made it an awesome game but then it may have taken away from the overly simplistic beauty that it currently exudes.

I'm not really sure I have anything to add, to be honest, as I haven't touched it again and am almost irritated flicking past it on the XMB of the PS3 if I ever hear the music kicking in :heh:

In fairness, basically everything I've downloaded on PS3 is tarnished with disappointment, be it Sonic 4: Episode II (I prefer the original on Wii :smile:), Nights (Is it really that much better than the awful Wii sequel..? ::shrug:), Afterburner: Climax (It's no Lylat Wars :heh:) or the multitude of questionable PS1 downloads and a couple of unneccesary PS2 HD remakes.

Rergarding Journey, though, it's so short that I may give it another go at some point but there's absolutely no desire for that just now :heh:

A game that perfectly encapsulates the emotional potential the medium has... with the added bonus of having absolutely no fluff. As pure a game as we'll ever get. No gimmicks whatsoever. All is you.

I definitely wouldn't have played it offline. Bumping into people was surreal. I still remember when me and my other Journey pal got split up by those big searchlight monsters. I looked for him but never found him again. It was a sad moment.

I loved the game, but I found it annoying that I had to disconnect my PS3 from the internet in order to play it on my own. The other player was just annoying.

Sign in to follow this