NEurope
lostmario

Mario Kart League 2015

Tonight was a bit of a mixed bag for me..

I had fun, which was the main thing, but I was wrestling with what felt like unbearable misfortune at certain stages, particularly in GPs 1 & 2 :blank: If there was a random green shell bouncing around, you could be sure it was ready to crash into me, usually resulting in one or more follow up attacks leaving me well down the pack.. but then that happens to everyone, right? :heh:

I started to get into my groove towards the end of GP2 and into GP3 with 2 successive, if completely unchallenged, wins. I must have let that go to my head in the following race as I was a comfortable 2nd place towards the end of the first lap of Ice Ice Outpost before my growing confidence encouraged me to take that shortcut before the finish line. It didn't come off and, in the end, I finished that race in last place, basically undoing the good work of the previous race!

Thankfully, I won the final race, a second visit to Dragon Driftway.. and a second victory on that particular course. It felt like I was watching a replay of the first time around it as I drifted into the lead in the first couple of corners and then was, thankfully, untouched for the remainder of the race. As someone said over voice chat between races, the key is getting ahead of the carnage in the first lap. If you get dragged into that, you're in for a tough race :indeed:

Relatively happy with the start, overall :hehe:

Fairly annoyed that ye didn't wait. I was there on time in the room and I told ye that I was just switching to the LAN adapter because I was having lag in my practise races online and I said I would be back, ye said it was fine. I come back to find ye had started, ye weren't even at the starting line. For a league that is struggling for members ye don't do much to encourage someone to want to come back next week.

I hope that isn't directed at me, I wasn't host, nothing I could do.

BowserBasher didn't have his mic on so that is why he started the GP without you.

Got DC from the 1st race of the third GP @Glen\-i NNID: Glen-i 2

7. @Brian58 NNID: Hairdresser14 1

8. @BowserBasher NNID: BowserBasher 2

9.@viceview51 NNID: viceview51 1

10. @Hamishmash NNID: Hamish (out this week)

Others

11.@Emerald Emblem NNID: EmeraldEmblem 2

12.Emerald's Brother 2

13.@Jimbob NNID: Jimbob-NE 1

14.@Gaz1885 NNID: ????? 1

15.@Foxfear NNID: DocChaos007 2

16.@Pestneb NNID: Sjonpi 1

17.lostmario NNID: lostmario 2

18.@Dcubed NNID: Nuclear_Muffin 1

19.@foohad NNID:BrockJames 2

20.Nando NNID:nekunando1

21. @Wii NNID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

NEXT LEAGUE NIGHT: Thursday 5th February 2015 - 8.00pm BST

All groups will play 3 GPs

GP1_zps9cb31bfc.jpg

GP2_zps88b7ee92.jpg

GP3_zpsff2a87e2.jpg

If you wish to sign up to this "Always in" List, confirm it along with your "in" post for next weeks league night.

It will be upto you if you choose to sign up to this list to let me know when you can't play. One no show without prior notice and you will be removed from this list for four weeks.

Who's in?

I couldnt play yesterday, my appologies for not giving a heads up. I'll be out next week as well. Graveyard shifts at the hospital!

So much love in group 1 for SNES Rainbow Road..

..and rightly so :heh: It's always been one of my absolute favourite Mario Kart tracks :yay:

Unfortunately, on both occasions last night I had a horrible first lap, one of which was down to a tactical green shell from @RedShell :heh: I saw him holding it whilst he was in first so didn't really exect him to sacrifice it when approaching the next set of item boxes. Well.. how foolish was I? The moment he released it in my direction was the moment I realised I'll never try to second guess that maniac again :shakehead

I'll be blunt, haven't touched Mario Kart since the last game of the league last year. Well, maybe a few times, since I've some cousins visiting for the last couple of weeks. But I share the feeling that MK started to feel like a chore late last year and it doesn't help how rubbish Battle Mode is in a otherwise almost perfect game (except for the item rape :P); it could've spiced things up a bit to have some sessions of it.

Last night the league started badly, had two last places in quick succession during the first couple of races... but gosh I was having fun and laughing hard. Then things took a turn for the better with some gripping races. Managed to throw a red shell at RedShell for good measure and payback someone who tried to touch me with his star and missed. :D

Looking forward for more races...

Was expecting a worse average TBH, not completely unsalvagable :)

Either way, I can't play this week because I'm working this Thursday as usual.

Enjoyed my first Mario Kart league races, will try and do better next week, need to practice more on all the tracks.

..and rightly so :heh: It's always been one of my absolute favourite Mario Kart tracks :yay:

Unfortunately, on both occasions last night I had a horrible first lap, one of which was down to a tactical green shell from @RedShell :heh: I saw him holding it whilst he was in first so didn't really exect him to sacrifice it when approaching the next set of item boxes. Well.. how foolish was I? The moment he released it in my direction was the moment I realised I'll never try to second guess that maniac again :shakehead

Next week, if we are in the same group we must select all the Rainbow Roads.

Next week, if we are in the same group we must select all the Rainbow Roads.

Going by the league standings after Week 1, I suspect we'll be in different groups this week.. though I have to say, the SNES Rainbow Road is head and shoulders above any of the others :heh: I hope the next one, in Mario Kart 9, takes more inspiration from it instead of later versions..

I think the aim for this year in Mario Kart 8 will be to try to maintain a position in Group 1 for as long as possible, something which is unlikely to be an easy task :eek:

Going by the league standings after Week 1, I suspect we'll be in different groups this week.. though I have to say, the SNES Rainbow Road is head and shoulders above any of the others :heh: I hope the next one, in Mario Kart 9, takes more inspiration from it instead of later versions..

I think the aim for this year in Mario Kart 8 will be to try to maintain a position in Group 1 for as long as possible, something which is unlikely to be an easy task :eek:

Groups are randomly selected for the first month.

Put together a highlight vid of last Thursday's GPs. :)

Enjoy! : peace:

YouTube seems to have completely destroyed the quality of this vid. :shakehead Make sure you watch in 720p, and even that isn't anywhere near the quality of the original file. :hmm:

That race on Excitebike Arena was brutal. :laughing:

That's nice to see a race from another point of view. You always feel you're the one being screwed over in MK. But it seems you got abused as much as anyone (especially that start on Dragon Drifway 2!! :) ).

Put together a highlight vid of last Thursday's GPs. :)

Enjoy! : peace:

YouTube seems to have completely destroyed the quality of this vid. :shakehead Make sure you watch in 720p, and even that isn't anywhere near the quality of the original file. :hmm:

That race on Excitebike Arena was brutal. :laughing:

Glad I watched right until the very end :laughing:

That's nice to see a race from another point of view. You always feel you're the one being screwed over in MK. But it seems you got abused as much as anyone (especially that start on Dragon Drifway 2!! :) ).
Yeah, that was not cool at all. :heh:

It's impossible to not get screwed over in MK at some point or another. Even in first place and way out in the lead, as perfectly demonstrated by the 2 Spiny Shells I received on Mute City. :hehe:

Glad I watched right until the very end :laughing:
That was my highlight of the week. :D

It's the first time I've ever seen someone lose a Crazy Eight so spectacularly to a banana. It worked out well for me though (as I nicked your star :grin:) and you still managed to take 2 people out with the rest of the items. :laughing:

That was my highlight of the week. :D

I'm pretty sure it wasn't mine :heh:

I'm still not sure whether the Crazy Eight is a help or a hindrance at this point. Any time I pick one up, I always try to make use of the star first so that it gives me time to get to grips with everything else spinning around.. but sometimes we don't get a chance :indeed:

I'm still not sure whether the Crazy Eight is a help or a hindrance at this point. Any time I pick one up, I always try to make use of the star first so that it gives me time to get to grips with everything else spinning around.. but sometimes we don't get a chance :indeed:

Ahhh... I go for the smash the button as fast as I can and hope for the best approach! :awesome:

WTF! I didn't realise you could choose what item to use from a crazy 8, i always assumed it was completely ransom. How do you choose?

WTF! I didn't realise you could choose what item to use from a crazy 8, i always assumed it was completely ransom. How do you choose?

The item directly in front of you is the chosen one :smile: Whatever the case, it's utter chaos most of the time :heh:

I still love the Lucky 7/Crazy 8 item.

If used right, it's an utter beast.

If used wrong, well... You saw what could happen.

Truly, the double edged sword of Mario Kart. Hilarious!

NEXT LEAGUE NIGHT: TOMORROW Thursday 5th January 2015 - 8.00pm BST

All groups will play 3 GPs

@Glen\-i NNID: Glen-i

7. @Brian58 NNID: Hairdresser14

8. @BowserBasher NNID: BowserBasher

9.@viceview51 NNID: viceview51

10. @Hamishmash NNID: Hamish

Others in:

11.@Jimbob NNID: Jimbob-NE

12.@Brian58 NNID: Hairdresser14

13.Lostmario NNID: Lostmario

Others