NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Serebii

Pokémon Shuffle (3DS/Android/iOS)

So... am I the only one who likes this game, then? :heh:

I'm having tons more fun with it than I did with Pokémon Link: Battle, at least. I've already failed three captures, but it has never seemed unfair, and the waiting seems perfectly fine, too - in fact it'll probably help me avoid unleashing my rage as I did so many times with the other game... It's nice to have some (forced) time to cool down. :)

I guess I haven't made it too far into the game yet considering I haven't spent any money (or even Jewels) yet, but so far I've had tons of fun and I look forward to playing more in a couple of hours.

The gameplay etc. is solid. I'm not disputing that. It's the F2P stuff that bugs me

Enjoying this so far. It's definitely a shame about the hearts and the waiting, I love games like this and could happily sit and play for ages.

My first day

Money spent: 4800¥

Hearts purchased: 240

Coins purchased: 96000

Playtime: 12:45

Pokémon Seen: 153

Pokémon Caught: 92

StreetPasses: 3

Jewels Remaining: 12

With those 12 Jewels, I can get another 80 hearts and be able to catch many more Pokémon. Not too bad really.

I don't see the problem with the microtransaction structure here. I get 5 plays for free every 2 and a half hours, and that 's enough, and if I'm patient enough over the months I'll finish quite a bit of this game. Just play it in bite-sized chunks. Like I do most of my games these days. The developers and Nintendo will see not a single penny of my money from this, as I see it, free game.

I've been reading your updates on Gaf @Serebii. You do realise you have played right into their hands with the money you are spending and also at the same time kind of endorsing what they are doing here, right? I'd argue it would be far better to take a stand and cover the game without spending a dime or just flat out refuse to cover the game at all.

If more games arrive using this kind of payment scheme then I guess you've got no one to blame but yourself.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

I've been reading your updates on Gaf @Serebii. You do realise you have played right into their hands with the money you are spending and also at the same time kind of endorsing what they are doing here, right? I'd argue it would be far better to take a stand and cover the game without spending a dime or just flat out refuse to cover the game at all.

If more games arrive using this kind of payment scheme then I guess you've got no one to blame but yourself.

I took a hit for the team.

Thankfully, due to currency conversion, I only paid £26 for the £43 purchase so it's not that bad for me.

I need to cover the game to give people information on it. Do I like it? Not to this extent, but it needed to be done.

For those not in the know, this is how I did

Ok, so I have officially run out of all of the money I put into the game on Tuesday night.

Let's look at what the money has got me

I spent 4800 Yen on 75 jewels. That allowed me to buy 6 packs:

I bought 2 coin packs of 48000 to get me 96000 coins.

I bought 4 heart packs of 80 each getting me 320 hearts

I have done through all stages from 1 - 150 at least once.

I have S Ranked enough levels to get Expert stages 1 through 18 and have given a few of them a try.

Today I have spent 80 hearts attempting to S Rank more stages and capture more Pokémon, many requiring multiple attempts.

Overall I have:

Playtime: 14:42

Stages Cleared: 154 (got 14 Expert Stages still to do. They are hard)

Pokémon Caught: 103/159

Going to take a break then put some more money in an blast through the expert stages, for the greater good.

Thankfully, due to currency conversion, I only paid £26 for the £43 purchase so it's not that bad for me.

I need to cover the game to give people information on it. Do I like it? Not to this extent, but it needed to be done.

But by taking said hit you are essentially saying that this kind of thing is fine to do. I know you don't agree with the F2P model and it's inclusion here but it's your money that is doing the talking.

At the end of the day it doesn't need to be done. It's not some life or death scenario. In fact, I would probably would have had more respect for you and your site in general had you flat out refused to cover the game out of principal. But each to their own.

Either way, if stuff like this crops up in the future then i'm blaming you. :D

For those not in the know, this is how I did

It's funny, there's no 'team'. Show me these people clamouring for you to cover this particular game. Anyone who's actually into gaming hates the very idea of this.

Tried this out, and they've actually turned Pokemon Link Battle into a game. Rather than just moving the pokemon around the board, not even needing to line them up (just saying it reminds me how utterly stupid that "game" was), you now can only move pokemon to make a connection, finally!! It's much better!! It's not great, so I have no temptation to put any money into this. But I still think the whole model is a disgrace!! Very interested to see what nintendo do in the future.

It's funny, there's no 'team'. Show me these people clamouring for you to cover this particular game. Anyone who's actually into gaming hates the very idea of this.

In the Pokémon community.

When you get a site with hundreds of thousands of unique visitors a day then you can start deciding how games should be covered

In the Pokémon community.

When you get a site with hundreds of thousands of unique visitors a day then you can start deciding how games should be covered

People come to your site because you do very good coverage of Pokemon games, I don't deny it. But is there a need for donating money to this? Seems to me the best thing we can do is let it die.

I think what Sheikah is trying to say is the majority of the people come for the main game stuff. Genuine curiosity about how many people would be sat there thinking "why is this not on here?!?!"

Essentially do people come to your site actually expecting everything* or very specific things and everything else is extra.

*as opposed to your noble ambition to provide everything.

People come to your site because you do very good coverage of Pokemon games, I don't deny it. But is there a need for donating money to this? Seems to me the best thing we can do is let it die.

1. Does my site provide the best coverage of Pokémon games? Yes, probably.

2. Is this a Pokémon game? Yes

If 2 = true then I have to cover it.

I guess you do, don't you.

Exactly. I'm not putting any more money in it, don't worry.

Tried this game, really enjoyed it....until it got to the point that I would have to start feeding it money. I see a lot of people share the same disdain towards this sort of structure with games.

I decided to buy Pokemon Link Battle instead. It's £7.50 and has much more content. I see it as voting with my wallet. Hopefully they'll see a spike in sales for Pokemon Link to show them it's not quite yet worth giving up on sensibly priced entertainment packages.

Tried this game, really enjoyed it....until it got to the point that I would have to start feeding it money. I see a lot of people share the same disdain towards this sort of structure with games.

I decided to buy Pokemon Link Battle instead. It's £7.50 and has much more content. I see it as voting with my wallet. Hopefully they'll see a spike in sales for Pokemon Link to show them it's not quite yet worth giving up on sensibly priced entertainment packages.

Except pokemon link is an absolute atrocity and its design manages to be even more offensive than the pricing structure of shuffle :P

Except pokemon link is an absolute atrocity and its design manages to be even more offensive than the pricing structure of shuffle :P

I really don't get your disdain for Pokémon Link Battle. The way you speak of it, it's as if it's killed your family.

I really don't get your disdain for Pokémon Link Battle. The way you speak of it, it's as if it's killed your family.

It DID!

It's atrocious. It I sort of say it as a joke now. But in a way, even this ethically disgraceful game shows how pathetic that is. How you can move the pokemon anywhere, with no punishment, line up pokemon how you see fit... Line them up for 5 in a row, you DK t have to make a connection with every move like in ALL SIMILIAR PIZZLE games, nope, move them wherever you want... It's gibsmackingly awful I dont understand how anyone can defend it. It's the worst piece of software I've ever played. My mind couldn't comprehend it while I played it. It was a surreal experience.

I get what you mean, I was like that at first and it was ridiculously easy. But it becomes more of a puzzle during the harder stages where you have to be quicker at making matches or else you will die.

There's a level where you have the chance to catch Venusaur, Charizard and Blastoise in the same chain and they kicked my ass for ages until I got quicker at finding the links and creating combos.

It's not going to give you a Tetris style puzzle buzz or the same sort of satisfaction but it's got its own appeal. I'd advise you to give it a chance to redeem itself of murdering your family.

Not exactly sure what all your work went to Serebii considering your site gave me pretty much shitall information on this game(amusingly Bulbapedia's article actually comes up top, and provided loads more :p). Downloaded this because it's been sitting on my 3DS home screen for ages and I was heading to the throne - hadn't realised it was a freemium game and additionally hadn't realised that I'm apparently an absolute mug for match-3 type games having recently done similar with the P&D demo - assumed this was a demo of a full retail game.

Just played out all of my hearts after learning of the 30-minute dealie, not tempted by putting real money into it but as a quick fix when I'm taking care of business it might be just all right.

Not exactly sure what all your work went to Serebii considering your site gave me pretty much shitall information on this game(amusingly Bulbapedia's article actually comes up top, and provided loads more :p).

What the frak are you on about?

You do realise there are links to content in my right bar, right? I don't just throw things into a clusterfuck of one page. I separate it out.

Quite clearly not, hence my post. Your excellent comprehension skills continue as ever :rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this