NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Serebii

Pokémon Shuffle (3DS/Android/iOS)

Free to play title on the 3DS

Pokémon Shuffle is a match-3 puzzle game out on the Nintendo 3DS in February 2015. This game is a free download

In this game, you are given 5 hearts to begin with and use each heart every time you play a level. These hearts can be replenished by trading in-game currency, jewels, or by purchasing the jewels on the Nintendo eShop, and hearts replenish after time passes. In each stage, you face off against a Pokémon and have to create massive combos to defeat it within the turn limit provided

There are a number of Pokémon to collect in the game, and with the Pokémon captured, you can use them in a squad of four to help defeat the opponents as they become the Pokémon you need to match up. Some Pokémon in the game can Mega Evolve, only possible when lead in your party, and when they do they unleash massive damage and combos onto the opponent. The Pokémon can all level up.

There are also various items you can collect in the game which will make the game a bit easier such as removing one of your squad from the table or increasing experience gained.

Not happy with it being free to play in such a manner :/

So, Nintendo now has a Candy Crush-type game.

Who says Nintendo can't keep up with the times? :heh:

Free to play title on the 3DS

Not happy with it being free to play in such a manner :/

They've gotta get people interested before making them pay for Puzzle and Dragons.

They've gotta get people interested before making them pay for Puzzle and Dragons.

I just wish there was a like £15 unlimited play option in it, to remove the stamina crap

Masuda has clearly said no paid Pokémon DLC will ever happen

Then stop making stupid remarks.

Ah Serebii, Serebii, Serebii.......you make me laugh. :laughing:

You'll argue that it's not DLC because you're.......

quite stubborn

It's worse than DLC.

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

Ah Serebii, Serebii, Serebii.......you make me laugh. :laughing:

You'll argue that it's not DLC because you're.......

It's worse than DLC.

Masuda has nothing to do with this game. It's not a main game.

Can you stop trying to pick a fight please

I'm not picking a fight. Those are all quotes you made in relation to me today.

It's pretty disturbing seeing Ninty try the free-to-play Candy Crush model. I suppose it sells so you can understand why they're trying it.

I don't really go for games like this, but I'm fine with them doing this. These games make an insane amount of money, right? That money will get spent on developing new games and such. If this game comes with "gotta catch em all!" then I can see this being brain-breakingly addictive. Be nice to see Amiibo support, too. Pokemon is getting Amiibo cards, right? With figure versions just being a small amount of favorites?

Official Japanese site gave out some details on Pokémon Shuffle.

First is the release date: February 18th 2015, which matches what the US Newsletter gave. Hopefully we'll get clarification for the US and announcement for Europe on Monday.

Now, here's the nitty gritty.

This game is free to play, as announced in the Direct. It uses a stamina system where you get 5 hearts and use a heart every time you play a stage (win or lose), and the hearts take time to recover. We first thought it was 15 minutes, but now some imagery appears to show it being 30 minutes.

You can expedite this by buying hearts in the store using the in-game currency, gems. Gems can be obtained through StreetPass but can also be purchased with in-app purchases:

1 Gem = 100 Yen ($0.84 so will probably be $1 in the US)

With this, you can then purchase either hearts or coins. Coins can be used to buy items to make stages easier, or Great Balls to make capture of Pokémon more likely.

Due to the Nintendo Direct trailer, we have the shop pricing scheme:

Hearts

5 Hearts = 1 Gem

20 Hearts = 3 Gems

45 Hearts = 6 Gems

75 Hearts = 10 Gems

Coins

5000 Coins = 1 Gem

20000 Coins = 3 Gems

45000 Coins = 6 Gems

75000 Coins = 10 Gems

Now, this means to get 75 hearts would be 1000 Yen, or approx. $8

Based on new screenshots, there are 159 Pokémon/stages (1 Pokémon per stage) in the game.

area2_2.png

If you were to plough through it, without using the stamina feature and without losing a single match, just paying for hearts, you'd need to spend 2300 Yen (assuming there aren't any extra stages with duplicates etc.). It's a little brutal. Though the idea is to play it over time and not 100% it as fast as possible, it could be worse but I'm not jumping for joy over this.

Genius Sonority really do like making their F2P games brutal...

Denpa Men Free is no different in that respect either. Surprised that Nintendo is letting them get away with it...

Genius Sonority really do like making their F2P games brutal...

Denpa Men Free is no different in that respect either. Surprised that Nintendo is letting them get away with it...

You can 100% it without paying a thing though. It'll just take time.

I just wish there was a one off payment that removed stamina

You can 100% it without paying a thing though. It'll just take time.

That is true of all completable free to play games though. Not stopped a stink being kicked up so far.

Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

That is true of all completable free to play games though. Not stopped a stink being kicked up so far.

Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Covering it for Serebii.net is going to wind up being a tiny bit expensive :/

Covering it for Serebii.net is going to wind up being a tiny bit expensive :/

Can't be that much more expensive than Amiibo hunting.

(Some of you guys crack me up with that)

So you'd need to spend around £15 in order to complete the game in a reasonable time frame?

Honestly I don't know why they just don't have two options...

Free - pay for credits and all that stuff

Unlocked - pay £15 for the game and not have to worry about extra costs

Even £15 seems too expensive for something like this though being that it's only a digital release but then this seems to be what Iwata was talking about in regards to having more quick free to play games and easy ports I suppose?

It also makes it difficult to review unless Nintendo want to send points cards/codes to reviewers because it's not something I'd consider paying for being that it doesn't see that compelling plus I know that I could just play a little bit of it and finish it eventually; even if codes for eShop credit were sent out for reviews it would be too tempting to just spend it on other stuff. :heh:

I'm really not sold on this concept.

So you'd need to spend around £15 in order to complete the game in a reasonable time frame?

Honestly I don't know why they just don't have two options...

Free - pay for credits and all that stuff

Unlocked - pay £15 for the game and not have to worry about extra costs

Even £15 seems too expensive for something like this though being that it's only a digital release but then this seems to be what Iwata was talking about in regards to having more quick free to play games and easy ports I suppose?

It also makes it difficult to review unless Nintendo want to send points cards/codes to reviewers because it's not something I'd consider paying for being that it doesn't see that compelling plus I know that I could just play a little bit of it and finish it eventually; even if codes for eShop credit were sent out for reviews it would be too tempting to just spend it on other stuff. :heh:

I'm really not sold on this concept.

That's assuming you don't fail and don't have to grind Pokémon levels, which is almost certain to happen

I find this whole thing quite disgusting and gobsmacked Nintendo are doing it... Luckily it's the only Nintendo IP I don't like so doesn't affect me (didn't stop ME buying the atrocious pokemon puzzle gsme in the 3ds though)

I don't know why anyone buys any Pokémon spinoff games. They peaked with Snap.

Yes, I'm just trying to poke the bear :heh:

Based on new screenshots, there are 159 Pokémon/stages (1 Pokémon per stage) in the game.

area2_2.png

Actually, that lists #158 two times. Judging from the silhouette I assume it's Mewtwo, with a listing for each of his Mega Evolutions. So according to this screenshot, there's 158 unique Pokémon.

It feels kinda strange to go back to such a small Pokémon count after Pokémon Link: Battle, but at least two of my three favourite Pokémon have already been confirmed...

They peaked with Guardian Signs and PokéPark 2.

Fixed that for you. :)

Edited by FireMeowth

I find this whole thing quite disgusting and gobsmacked Nintendo are doing it... Luckily it's the only Nintendo IP I don't like so doesn't affect me (didn't stop ME buying the atrocious pokemon puzzle gsme in the 3ds though)

Not their first F2P game :p

Not their first F2P game :p

That's not the issue. It's the disgusting timing mechanic to fleece people, it's probably the worst aspect of f2p gaming, the most unethical method. Can't believe Nintendo have done it.

That's not the issue. It's the disgusting timing mechanic to fleece people, it's probably the worst aspect of f2p gaming, the most unethical method. Can't believe Nintendo have done it.

They didn't.

Genius Sonority did, approved by The Pokémon Company.

They didn't.

Genius Sonority did, approved by The Pokémon Company.

Just ridiculous attempt to try and get Nintendo out of it. If Nintendo didn't want it to happen, it would't be happening. This is Nintendo's decision and we all know it. Part of their "experimenting".

Just ridiculous attempt to try and get Nintendo out of it. If Nintendo didn't want it to happen, it would't be happening. This is Nintendo's decision and we all know it. Part of their "experimenting".

I'm not "trying to get Nintendo out of it", I'm trying to explain to you how Pokémon spin-offs are made/decided, and Nintendo is seldom mentioned in their development.

Sign in to follow this