NEurope
dan-likes-trees

Xpert 11 Season 34 - The Times They Are a-Changin'

Sucks to be you Lions!

Too right. Now I know how Mourinho feels losing to piddly little Bradford!

Shocking result for Winston. Luckily all the big boys are rubbish this year so we still have a shout

A few managers weren't too happy with it overall so probably not. Maybe for our 50th season!

We can always do a cup in the off season but we never get the interest.

@Tales I'm sure it won't be long before your team is ready to dominate once again!

Thats like 3 years in real time!! I'm starting a campaign for it.

Cup doesn't generate the interest pre-season cos everyone always needs a bit of an xpert rest by the end of a season. The real thing, with group stages and neutral grounds is a beast!!

Spotlight

Week 3 Result:

0-6 with one freekick

SOBD of Coventry City was the only entrant therefore wins another spotlight point.

Standings

Coventry City: 2

Week 4

Week four will be a bonus round for Tuesday's games. Any team that scores two goals or more will earn a spotlight point.

Alliances

Lylat Wanderers - 10

Silverdale Salmon - 8

New Forest Rovers - 7

---

Coloccini FC - 6

The Sixty-Fourthers - 7

Chesterfield - 8

---

Eights United - 9

AFC Dedede - 10

Cubic County - 1

---

AC Elites - 7

French Riviere - 2

Super Nashwan - 9

---

Russian Revolution - 4

The Roger Federer Crew - 9

Destined To Lose - 5

---

DuDs Baggies - 1

Gibbs Probies - 6

Caltech Sheldonians - 10

---

Atlético Aqui1a - 8

The Familia FC - 3

Beach Bumps - 2

---

Winston Garden Lions - 5

Leeds M.O.T - 1

Coventry City - 6

---

Yellow Submarine - 3

Rossers Rovers - 5

RSC Pebble - 3

---

Intergalactico Stars - 2

Recall United - 4

Lords of Hydra - 4

An away victory is always nice, but my best midfielder gets a red card for delaying time* at the 79th minute before an important match against table leader, not so nice.

*unsure about the English phrase for this

time wasting :)

I would say Almaas is your best midfielder but Granås is the one that always has the most assists/goals so I can see why you consider him the better player.

Edited by The Peeps

time wasting :)

I would say Almaas is your best midfielder but Granås is the one that always has the most assists/goals so I can see why you consider him the better player.

Almost at half season my alleged best player(and the entire league) doesn't have a single assist/goal this season >_>

Almost at half season my alleged best player(and the entire league) doesn't have a single assist/goal this season >_>

Ah, I'm sure Granås won't be too much of a loss.. hang on a second

2jezcz5.png

Bloody hell!!

Speaking of stats, why am I not winning the league??

34rsp55.png

x6bzix.png

Yeah if I'd known you were going to be this bad I wouldn't have put you down to win the league in my predictions!

Yeah if I'd known you were going to be this bad I wouldn't have put you down to win the league in my predictions!

I seem to be a mere point behind you and Eights at mid season!!

Horrible finish at half season for me. Lylat get an away draw, I barely manage a home draw. And now away at both of them.

Top four have uneasy half as title is as undecided as ever

It’s rare to reach midseason with so many points dropped by so many of the big teams. Eights have been uncharacteristically inconsistant - a drubbing at the hands of coloccini, and this week not a single shot on target against a stubborn Aqui1la - whilst Lylat have been solid but unremarkable, with too many draws against the big teams. Winston have emerged in recent weeks but a poor start to the season could be their downfall. This all makes for thrilling viewing for the neutrals, with four teams within two points of them top, and there is really little to pick between the Elite Four at this stage. All eyes will be on the return leg of Lylat vs Eights - a massive showdown, but Lylat have never had the Yellow-Sub knack for picking points off the goliath.

Eights on eighteen after poor season

145955.jpg

Classic Eights - They have had an absoloute shocker of a season, with an array of uncharacterstically inconsistent results, yet still they sit, precasiously, top of the perch at mid-season. A drubbing at the hands of Coloccini was bad, and not a single shot off against a stubborn Aqui1la was worse. Nonetheless they have won the games that really matter - hammering Winston and Lylat 4 and 3 - 1 - but the second half of the season will bring away fixtures against the three other title contenders. Improvements will be needed, fast - a thin squad has caused problems, and star player Almaas has had a stinker of a season.

Lylat wander up the table in an unremarkable first half

Manchester-City-Schedule-2014-465x310.jpg

Lylat have picked up the points that they should have but not much more. Pilgrim has had a poor season, too often tightly marked, but Accrington has enjoyed freedom in the center, with 7 g&a’s. A 2-2 away draw with Winston was an important marker for the season but they will need to take more decisive wins if they are serious about a title challenge. Defence is lightweight but Max Roberts is they key man in holding this team together.

Winston roar up the table after poor start

2015-01-01t183501z_382561738_lr1eb111fm2i6_rtrmadp_3_soccer-england.jpg?itok=LcONDbBY

Much like their rivals, Winston have had a mixed season - low points have seen them held by Aquil1a, pipped by AC and bruised by Eights. Away at Inter, however, they recorded the highest match ratings the xpert upper league has ever seen - this is a seriously dangerous team with the potential to take it to the top. As it stands they have probably overtaken Maddog as the best team never to win the league. They will need to do better against their rivals - 2 points out of a possible 9 against their title rivals is not good enough, and they currently conceed too many goals.

Boring Aqui1a could boost up the table

1080222-17212079-640-360.jpg

Aqui1a have a remarkable defensive record, having conceeded only four this entire season; Ricardo Forbes is a real MVP, the key to this team. However, with the title race wide open they have failed to capitalise - negative tactics have meant games that could have been 3 points were only 1. The fans will be disappointed they havent seized their chance but Aqui1a are only 2 points off top spot - they could grind their way to the top yet. Tuesday’s home game against Eights could prove to be a massive statement of intent - the title race could yet be Winston / Aqui1a rather than the predicted Lylat / Eights.

Colo on the ropes after early jet start

Swansea_3049029b.jpg

Colocinni have impressed in 2015 - 3 - 1 against Eights was probably the upset of the season and a deserved result, and Mangani has been exceptional between the sticks. Friday’s win over AC was huge after three losses on the trot. They sit 5 points clear at mid-season but have a long way to go to secure safety. The return fixture against AC will be a big game, and further along the return to Russian Rev will be crucial in the relegation run-in. Average form should be better at this stage, and the defence is proving a touch flimsy. The final match of the season against Inter could be massive - the home crowd will be well up for it.

AC peak too soon

article-2196701-14C89F03000005DC-199_634x443.jpg

A few weeks ago the manager sounded as surprised as anyone to post a gloating message on the forums off the back of a big win against Winston, which had put him top of the league. Since then AC have picked up a mere point, caneering down the table and now hovering dangerously close to the relegation spots. Their final two games should be an easy 6 points but until then AC have their work cut out keeping within reach of safety. Title hopes look flimsy at this stage but a few wins could yet kickstart a challenge given how poorly the leaders have been performing, but the manager will need to get the team playing more attacking football - they have the lowest goals record in the league - poor from a manager who has berated negative tactics in the past.

Yellow Sub steered toward safety after rough start

Ohio_side_field.jpg

The fixture list was unkind to Yellow Sub; the first four fixtures, at Eights then away at three of the current top four, yielded only two points. Since then The Sub have bounced back and whizzed up the table away from relegation mire, conceding only twice in their last five games.

Kirkby has been a beast at the back - Sub have the league’s 2nd best defensive record - and the team’s strength in depth has helped this season. Fans will be gutted that the manager hasn’t pushed on - a win against Russian Rev on Friday would have put the team right into the mix of the title race but the team were poor and deserved only the point. Youngsters are getting sufficient gametime.

Inspiring Russian Revolution

ThisisRussia_2779948.jpg

This writer has been impressed by The Rev this season. Despite being locked in relegation mire, they have given it a good go - an impressive win at Inter set a precident, and draws away at Aqui1 and Yellow Sub have impressed. Youngsters like Stalin and Davydenko are getting plenty of gametime - Grantspinks is acquitting himself well and, though safety looks unlikely particularly after an early loss to Coloccini, this is a team bound to throw up surprises between now and the season’s end.

Inter-locked in real relegation battle

Everton-have-lost-as-many-010.jpg

A cursory glance would have you believe Inter are having a real stinker - 7 points from 9 matches, but a closer look reveals tight loses at every corner - four times they have lost by only a goal, and despite a solid scoring and defence record they have won only one game, in a token 3 points against DuDs. Nikos recently issued an emphatic press conference message blaming big win bonuses from his rivals as his downfall. At mid-season Inter are 5 points off safety - it’s attainable with such a strong team but this big ship could easily still sink. Gandalf Gray will need to keep working his magic - another couple of losses and it will be panic stations and Nikos could finish bottom of the 9.

DuDs

256F959800000578-2944027-image-a-2_1423334024987.jpg

This team will become known as another to be chucked on the pile of almost-rans - a semi-final place in the NE Cup will be their biggest achievement. This year they are the league’s whipping boys, and even teams as poor as Inter and AC are having a go.

Looking at the team setup you can se hwy the manager quit - the team is ageing, there are no players of real quality - there was no long term gameplan here and things were beginning to unravel.

Spotlight

Last Round Result:

Teams with two goals or more:

Yellow Submarine, Eights United, Winston Garden Lions, Coloccini FC, Atlético Aqui1a, Russian Revolution, AFC Dedede, Silverdale Salmon, Rossers Rovers, French Riviere, Caltech Sheldonians, Coventry City, Super Nashwan, New Forest Rovers

Standings

Coventry City: 3

Yellow Submarine: 1

Eights United: 1

Winston Garden Lions: 1

Coloccini FC: 1

Atlético Aqui1a: 1

Russian Revolution: 1

AFC Dedede: 1

Silverdale Salmon: 1

Rossers Rovers: 1

French Riviere: 1

Caltech Sheldonians: 1

Super Nashwan: 1

New Forest Rovers: 1

Week 5

Week five and the spotlight returns to the top division for Tuesday's games and the match between Yellow Submarine vs Coloccini FC. Please predict the outcome and the midfield rating for each team.

Alliances

---

Lylat Wanderers - 8

Silverdale Salmon - 9

New Forest Rovers - 8

---

Eights United - 9

AFC Dedede - 10

Cubic County - 1

---

Coloccini FC - 6

The Sixty-Fourthers - 6

Chesterfield - 7

---

AC Elites - 4

French Riviere - 4

Super Nashwan - 9

---

Russian Revolution - 3

The Roger Federer Crew - 8

Destined To Lose - 6

---

Winston Garden Lions - 10

Leeds M.O.T - 1

Coventry City - 5

---

Yellow Submarine - 5

Rossers Rovers - 7

RSC Pebble - 4

---

DuDs Baggies - 1

Gibbs Probies - 5

Caltech Sheldonians - 10

---

Atlético Aqui1a - 7

The Familia FC - 3

Beach Bumps - 2

---

Intergalactico Stars - 2

Recall United - 2

Lords of Hydra - 3

I'm going to start doing inter-view or as I shall term them, Words With Winston. Anyone interested give me a shout. I'd like to talk to @Tales and @Zell amongst others.

Edit, also @Ellmeister

Quite interested to hear in anyone from Upper League to be honest

Edited by dan-likes-trees

I'm going to start doing inter-view or as I shall term them, Words With Winston. Anyone interested give me a shout. I'd like to talk to @Tales and @Zell amongst others.

Edit, also @Ellmeister

Quite interested to hear in anyone from Upper League to be honest

I'm up for that too :)

Excellent news. I'll add you all to the list. Will start with Eights - should get som equestions over tomorrow.

I must warn you all that I have a more abrasive interviewing style than Nikos did!

Can I just say again how incredibly sucky it is to be relegated into a league with new teams in it that will easily challenge the top division. Getting beat every week 7 or 8 nil is getting stupidly tedious. From thinking I could bounce straight back up before these guys were added it would now seem like it will take 3 or 4 more seasons just to challenge to get out of this league.

How about after this season I boost the teams in the lower league that aren't from the merge? Boosting only raises a team to the average strength of the lowest league so it would make things a bit fairer. I'd like input from managers before actually doing this though.

How about after this season I boost the teams in the lower league that aren't from the merge? Boosting only raises a team to the average strength of the lowest league so it would make things a bit fairer. I'd like input from managers before actually doing this though.

Do it... Don't be stingy!

That's a 50/50 for me, it takes away from working to bring up players but I sick to death of getting destroyed.

Its only a temporary effect, Peeps can't do much as else, so either carry on complaining or say yes please!

Also - Dan I'll do questions if you want.

1r7lab.jpg

In the first of a series of Words with Winston arguably the game's greatest surviving manager, Nikos9, joins us. We talk heritage, winning titles, and dragging a huge team back from the brink of relegation.

2v369ao.jpg

"I have recently discovered that my friend who ran the Russian team, isn’t actually managing them anymore... My guess is [the new manager is] Haden"

If I could start by saying that it’s a pleasure to talk with such a talented manager. Three Elite Championships, one Championship cup title. The Inter record is, perhaps surprisingly, the best of any current manager. What is your goal at this stage in your career? Is it tough to stay motivated when you have won all there is to win, or is the aim now to become and cement status as the greatest manager of all time?

Thanks for the intro! To be honest, it is hard to stay motivated having achieved everything but that’s not the main reason why. Off the top of my head I’ve introduced nine of my personal friends to this league and I’ve now outlasted all but one of them. The only one who remains is French Riviere but I think he only remains here to humour me and avoid persistent badgering. Haden was the last of my ‘serious about the game friends’ and he was actually the one who brought me here.

Also, I have recently discovered that my friend who ran the Russian team, isn’t actually managing them anymore but he won’t tell me who’s in charge of them now…all I know is that he must have had previous managerial experience judging on their recent track record. My guess is Haden, if anyone but it could equally be someone random so who knows but I’m not concerning myself with that. Anyway, back to the point, I’m not finding it to be as fun anymore without the others to abuse or talk to about it etc.

My aim was to become the omnipotent force of N-Euro, have a team like Eights’ a few seasons ago and dominate everything for about five seasons then retire on a high, mwahahaha…but with the immergence of teams like yourself and Lylat that obviously never happened and I’m not naive enough to think that it ever will! As far as my goal now, it’s simply to stay up to fight another day. After that, I’m not sure. A part of me wants to stick around and see how my developing players turn out but then I could do that forever, where does it end?!

"My aim was to become the omnipotent force of N-Euro, have a team like Eights’ a few seasons ago and dominate everything"

The first half of the season was disastrous for Inter. You are clawing your way back up the table but what was so bad about this period for you, and when did you realise Inter's relegation worries were serious? You mention win bonuses but was it also a dangerous underestimation of teams that you should be beating? And what would demotion mean for a team like Inter?

I think it was around five games in when the only team I’d beaten was an inactive Dud and I’d lost to the Russians, Aquila at home and drew with Coloccini at home…all games I’d have expected to win which meant when I played the better teams I’d expected to drop points to and did, my team were in a very precarious position. I’m not sure I completely underestimated them because I fielded strong teams but those are the sort of games you need to blood in the youth and perhaps that’s how I got caught out, combined with the fact I thought I could put the minimum win bonus on to save up money to buy new players next season. All good in theory, however, I forgot to train players for a few weeks and form dived from unexpected defeats on top of that.

Maybe the opposition fielded their strongest sides out against me too so they can take credit for being the stronger teams on the day with higher form and most likely higher win bonuses. In answer to your other question, demotion would be the end of Inter once and for all…not that I’m a quitter when the chips are down but that would be a good indication that my time is up and it would feel as good a time as any to hang up my managerial boots and let other teams have their time to shine.

There have been whisperings that the title winning Inter teams of the past would struggle for top three in the current crop of contenders. To your mind how strong are the top teams right now in comparison to the teams of past generations?

They’re close to being the best of all time but not there yet. I remember when I first started out, looking at the top league, teams like Haden’s and AC’s first squads were scary, there were others too like Charlie’s and Roostophe’s, Happenstance and Ed Kirby if I remember rightly. I was just happy when they all retired because it meant teams like mine and Eights’ could start to get closer to the top.

Tales is regarded as the greatest manager of the series by many, yet Inter have notched up more titles. Do you feel undervalued as a manager?

No, I like to take the role of the underdog, it makes victory that much sweeter! I thrive off proving people wrong.

Despite the storied history the last few seasons have been unfruitful. This would be understandable if strong youth were coming through but to be blunt, there isn’t much Inter youth and the ones here, Safin, Kent, aren’t good enough. What has been the gameplan in the past two middling seasons?

"This is a Winston’s Words exclusive but twelve of my seventeen players have the training cone ability!!!"

Money has been my main issue to be honest, I thought I could buy decent youth and build them up then as my legends get older, sell the older guys off for good money to buy even better youth then the squad gets stronger. However, Skywalker is the only one who really is stand-out. The others are just the best I could get for my money.

To let you in on a little secret, I scour the market and spend a lot of econs evaluating players, only buying those with training cones. I thought this would also save me money on training in the long term but the truth is, it doesn’t make as big a difference as I’d expected. I’ve never told anyone this before so this is a Winston’s Words exclusive but twelve of my seventeen players have the training cone ability!!! I consider it to be the best hidden trait and players sell on for higher value with this too so I thought it would be good to have a squad full of them, lol. It’s not helping me much at the moment though as my league positions shows.

As a multi-title winning manager - would you say that it is tactics or long term development that is the key to actually winning the title, and what was the cutting edge to clinching the numerous Inter titles?

It’s probably a combo of the above. I think I got my edge over the better teams by being unpredictable. I tried to think as though I was playing against my team and what I’d do to stop me, then do the opposite to confuse the opponents…things like varying up my formation / play maker etc and thoroughly scouting the other teams last few games and our previous meetings and so on. Now I don’t have quite the time to do that as in depth as I used to and I’m trying to tailor my sides more to what the xpert system thinks is good as opposed to what I think I should do to win…maybe that’s where I’m going wrong.

Could you talk about a couple of highlights if your N-Europe managerial career?

The whole nWo / Nexus saga was great, winning the titles, beating better opposition consistently through superior tactics when I was a newish manager and learning the ropes was fun. Too many to remember, maybe that’s a sign! :P

Thanks to Nikos9 for taking the time to talk with us. Some tantalising intriguing info to be gleaned here - the title winning Nikos teams are stacked with hard trainers - Russian Rev have a mystery manager, alongside alot of useful advice for young managers in there.

We will be watching the rest of Inter's campaign with interest - the manager sounds to be nearing the end of his career but there i clearly still ambition here and for this mighty team.

Words with Winston - The managers

Nikos9

Eights

Coloccini

Peeps

Ellmeister

Regarding the boost, i'm happy for that to take place. And happy to assist/help with the questions as well.

I'm in favour of boosting :)