NEurope
nekunando

Your 2015 Gaming Diary

Continuing with the recent Metal Gear Solid theme going on in here, I decided to play through Ground Zeroes yesterday on PS3 after downloading it for £3.99 a couple of months ago.

Metal_Gear_Solid_5_Ground_Zeroes_Logo.jpg

I went into it knowing that it was supposed to be extremely short and that there are a few side missions to unlock for future playthroughs but even I was surprised when the game finished when it did.

I did my best not to get caught but I just legged it whenever I did and I ended up stumbling across the second person you need to rescue.. and that was that. I thought there might be a little more to it after that opening section but it turns out that was it :blank:

To be honest, I didn't really enjoy it all that much and it probably goes down as my least favourite in the series, even if it can't really be classified as a full entry.

I did my best not to get caught but I just legged it whenever I did and I ended up stumbling across the second person you need to rescue.. and that was that. I thought there might be a little more to it after that opening section but it turns out that was it :blank:

To be honest, I didn't really enjoy it all that much and it probably goes down as my least favourite in the series, even if it can't really be classified as a full entry.

There's a hell of a lot to it. The tapes that need collect give some great and disturbing insight as to how Paz and Chico ended up there and what happened to them while in captivity. There's also the ranking system and various side ops to play through.

If you aren't invested in the series anymore and just played the main mission then it is gonna be a pretty short and possibly shallow experience.

Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain (PS4) is complete.

And its done!

That scene where the guard was killing her was brilliantly brutal. Squashing his nuts to oblivion. Ouch!

I got a little choked up when Quiet finally spoke so she could save Boss. I really loved her character and was glad to see her survive the end game.

HAHA! I KNEW IT! :yay: There were so many nods throughout the game that hinted that you weren't Big Boss. It's just a shame you had to play the whole of the first mission again for the full reveal.

Like you @Happenstance I was gutted that we didn't get to see what Happened with Liquid. I seen Kotaku have posted a video of mission 51 which was cut from the game for unknown reasons. It explains what Eli was up to after he left the MB.

Amazing game. Simply amazing. The amount of content and game within game stuff that's on the disc is simply insane. The variety of options that present themselves to tackle missions are staggering. Going forward, open world games like Creed, Zelda etc. have a lot to live up to now.

A couple of small negatives were that I didn't like the STARRING that kept popping up a the start of a mission. It gave away who was going to show up and spoilt the surprise.

Storywise I think it's the weakest of the main series games. The cutscenes are few and far between, but, at the same time, I think most of them do have a lot of weight and impact behind them.

While I didn't mind the way you have to unlock the final missions, I think a lot of people won't be happy with the grind. It was something that they introduced in Peace Walker and it has carried on over to this game.

One thing I love about this game is how it is a big middle finger to all those people who complained about Kojima and his team creating story heavy games.

cliffy-kojima-finger-e1311360376803-407x270.jpg

Over the years many have called him out for not being able to create a 'proper' game. With this he has shown that he is more than capable of creating a game that puts gameplay first. Brilliant. :bowdown:

Over the years many have called him out for not being able to create a 'proper' game. With this he has shown that he is more than capable of creating a game that puts gameplay first. Brilliant.

The problem this time though is that it was too much in the other direction. While its still a brilliant game, just like the other ones, for me all that he has proved is that he still cant get the ratio of gameplay to story right.

There's a hell of a lot to it. The tapes that need collect give some great and disturbing insight as to how Paz and Chico ended up there and what happened to them while in captivity..

I honestly didn't find myself caring who they were or why they were there but my biggest problem was basically that it felt so far away from the original Metal Gear Solid that I adored on PS1 that the whole thing just doesn't really appeal any more. Even the love for The Phantom Pain on here hasn't made me any more interested in trying it out :hmm:

Unfortunately, Ground Zeroes continues with the trend of PS3 games that have left me disappointed after I have downloaded them, a list which includes Killer is Dead, Afterburner Climax and another N-E favourite Journey :shakehead

I honestly didn't find myself caring who they were or why they were there but my biggest problem was basically that it felt so far away from the original Metal Gear Solid that I adored on PS1 that the whole thing just doesn't really appeal any more. Even the love for The Phantom Pain on here hasn't made me any more interested in trying it out :hmm:

Unfortunately, Ground Zeroes continues with the trend of PS3 games that have left me disappointed after I have downloaded them, a list which includes Killer is Dead, Afterburner Climax and another N-E favourite Journey :shakehead

I had no intention of buying The Phantom Pain after I played through Ground Zeroes, but when I discovered more about TPP, and saw stuff like this:

I just knew I had to have it. :hehe:

To say that it is infinitely better than what Ground Zeroes suggested it would be, is an understatement of epic proportions. ;)

TPP is without doubt the best PS4 game that I've played so far, the best Metal Gear game I've played, and in fact one of the best video games I've ever played! And this is only at 30% completion. :o

Not to say that the same will be the case for you of course, / nando /, after all you are quite (no offense) fussy/particular when it comes to games. :heh:

But yeah, I just wouldn't judge TPP based on GZ, that's all. :)

I honestly didn't find myself caring who they were or why they were there but my biggest problem was basically that it felt so far away from the original Metal Gear Solid that I adored on PS1 that the whole thing just doesn't really appeal any more.

The series has moved on and evolved into something much grander now. The games made from 3 onwards were really made for fans who have kept up with the story and have an interest in the world and characters. Phantom Pain breaks this though by making it more about the gameplay, which makes it more accessible to new comers.

Clearly the series just isn't for you anymore. This was pretty evident when you classed MGS3 as your worst, a game which both critics and gamers regard very highly, with many saying it's their favourite. Even those who didn't care for the new gameplay elements thought the story between the Boss and Snake was something very special.

The series has moved on and evolved into something much grander now. The games made from 3 onwards were really made for fans who have kept up with the story and have an interest in the world and characters. Phantom Pain breaks this though by making it more about the gameplay, which makes it more accessible to new comers.

Clearly the series just isn't for you anymore. This was pretty evident when you classed MGS3 as your worst, a game which both critics and gamers regard very highly, with many saying it's their favourite. Even those who didn't care for the new gameplay elements thought the story between the Boss and Snake was something very special.

I'd argue that Peace Walker was a bigger turning point for the series gameplay than even 3 was. MGS5 is clearly built on top of what Peace Walker did (it's basically Peace Walker part 2 really) and that really shook things up with its mission based structure, open ended environments (albeit small in scale) and RPG style mechanics.

Personally I wasn't a fan of Peace Walker at all. I liked some of the ideas it had (particularly I liked the reduced focus on cutscenes and the bite sized mission structure), but I feel that it just took away too much of what I liked about the first 3 MGS games (the steady and carefully planned out progression, the carefully planned out level design and especially the boss battles). Likewise MGS5 seems to follow in the same vein as PW, so I know that it's not for me (and I didn't find Ground Zeroes to be all that fun really :p )

But I could totally understand someone not enjoying MGS3 and then liking Peace Walker and MGS5.

Speaking of which @RedShell. If you weren't a big fan of the first 4 MGS games but you like MGS5, you'll probably like Peace Walker as well since it's very similar to MGS5 (Especially considering it has something special for Monster Hunter fans... lets just say that it's not shy about where the inspiration for the series' newfound direction came from ;) )

Edited by Dcubed

So, not playing FIFA has provided an oppertunity to finish other games and revisit older ones. Having said that, there is most definitely a desire to return to Pro Clubs but that is still a 2.5 - 3 weeks away.

Over the last month or so I got the platinum on Rocket League as well as the trophies for the DLC. There was a spell where I was thoroughly enjoying 1 vs 1 but towards the end of waiting on the 500km trophy to pop I was settling for 3 v 3. Hoping for more DLC pretty soon to give me an excuse to return to it. I did my evil run for Infamous: Second Run and at the same time wrapping up the other trophies for the platinum. In the PS3 games what stood out choosing evil was the difference in missions compared to good as well as generally causing havoc on the streets of New Marais. I did not get that same feeling with Second Son. Most recently I finished Grow Home which provided a welcome change of pace to the other titles I've been playing. I ended up going for 100% and for anyone struggling to find all the crystals I recommend checking the in game uPlay Store.

Currently I am kind of just waiting on FIFA 16 now to get going on Pro Clubs but I am hoping that there'll be a decent deal for ~£35. I have restarted Last of Us on New Game Plus however knowing that Uncharted Collection is out in a month it hasn't quite grabbed me again like I had hoped it would. I may park it and give The Order another go until then.

Ultimately, I'll probably get it on PS3 when the price drops somewhere down the line but despite the ridiculously high praise throughout reviews that I've watched, it doesn't look like it's for me.

In fact, I've only ever been through Sons of Liberty once but would like to experience it again. It was always the most similar to the original and probably why I seem to like it more than later entries. Perhaps that opinion will change when I play it again, though :heh:

In fact, I've only ever been through Sons of Liberty once but would like to experience it again. It was always the most similar to the original and probably why I seem to like it more than later entries. Perhaps that opinion will change when I play it again, though :heh:

It wasn't called the Solid Snake Simulation for nothing. :heh:

Hey, speaking of Metal Gear...

5582495718_f5afc0398f.jpg

I played through the All-Stars version of Super Mario Bros. on the Wii VC which is actually on a disc. Also, it was on DCubed's American Wii.

So it's the American emulated remade disc version of Super Mario Bros. Yay!

Nothing much to really say here. It's Super Mario Bros, but with dodgy brick physics!

There were a few moments when those physics (You don't bounce back down when breaking a brick) caught me off guard. And DCubed may have commandeered the controller for World 8-3 (That level is way too hard compared to the rest of the game) but I still played through most of it. And it's still great!

There's another game that I recently finished, but I'm gonna wait until a little later before I talk about that. I feel like I need a whole new post and more time to get my thoughts out about that.

Lufia: The Legend Returns - GBC

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - WiiU (Not 100%)

Demon's Crest - SNES (Not 100%)

The World Ends With You - DS

Gunman Clive - 3DS

Gunman Clive 2 - 3DS

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse - 3DS

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D - 3DS

Dedede's Drum Dash Deluxe - 3DS

Banjo-Tooie - N64

Metroid Zero Mission - GBA (Not 100%)

Child of Light - Wii U (Single Character challenge)

Super Smash Bros - 3DS (Everything, baby!)

Super Mario World - SNES

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate - 3DS (Credits seen)

Super Mario 64 - N64 (120 stars)

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D - 3DS

Final Fantasy 8 - PS1

Tengami - WiiU

Earthbound Beginnings - NES

Puzzle & Dragons Z - 3DS

Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition - 3DS

Sin & Punishment: Successor of the Skies - Wii

Pokemon Blue - GB

Kirby Dream Land 2 - GB

Kirby's Fun Pak - SNES

Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards - N64

Kirby: Nightmare In Dream Land - GBA

Kirby and the Amazing Mirror - GBA

Kirby's Epic Yarn - Wii

Super Smash Bros. - Wii U (100%)

Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time - DS

The Last Story - Wii

Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise - Wii

Rhythm Paradise - DS

Shin Megami Tensei IV - 3DS

Super Mario Bros. - SNES (Super Mario All-Stars Version)

After listening to Retronauts podcast about ALTTP, I set my Wii U back up and cracked on with this classic game.

I only needed another half hour or so and I would have had it beaten before coming to work. Real life obligations suck. :(

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

I jumped around a bit in terms of the dungeon order. I done 4 before 3 and then I done 6 before 5. I think I done this during my last play through of the game, as well. It certainly makes the fifth dungeon a lot easier if you have the cane. Saves you having to do laps around the dungeon, just to drop some blocks.

I'll go kick Ganons butt once I get in from work, before heading back to play around in the sandbox that is MGSV. There ya go, @darksnowman. I played through a Nintendo game. :D

Lovely colours. I don't think they ever bettered that art style for the top-down Zeldas. Go back to pixel art, Nintendo!

After listening to Retronauts podcast about ALTTP, I set my Wii U back up and cracked on with this classic game.

I only needed another half hour or so and I would have had it beaten before coming to work. Real life obligations suck. :(

I jumped around a bit in terms of the dungeon order. I done 4 before 3 and then I done 6 before 5. I think I done this during my last play through of the game, as well. It certainly makes the fifth dungeon a lot easier if you have the cane. Saves you having to do laps around the dungeon, just to drop some blocks.

I'll go kick Ganons butt once I get in from work, before heading back to play around in the sandbox that is MGSV. There ya go, @darksnowman. I played through a Nintendo game. :D

Now, was that so painful? There is hope yet that the Hero-of-Time might awaken from his slumber!

One of my favourite ever games as I'm sure you know - can't count the number of times I've restarted it, and definitely got quite a few playthroughs down now. Do you go for almost everything you can get, or just the basics to complete the story?

I'd also second the doing 6 before 5(though 4 before 3?? what madness!) - think I accidentally did it as a kid, then didn't when I played again, then remembered how fun the cane is and tend to do it that way round these days instead.

Gaah. It's making me tempted. If only I knew where my micro and a cart was. Might set me a day aside to do a run-through in the future...

Lovely colours. I don't think they ever bettered that art style for the top-down Zeldas. Go back to pixel art, Nintendo!

Indeed.

A Link Between Worlds was pretty ugly and the new Zelda 3DS games looks just as rough. I would love them to go back to the pixel style. Four Swords Adventures on the Gamecube looked amazing at the time. Imagine something like that but in HD.....:heart:

One of my favourite ever games as I'm sure you know - can't count the number of times I've restarted it, and definitely got quite a few playthroughs down now. Do you go for almost everything you can get, or just the basics to complete the story?

I always go for everything. Gotta get dem heart pieces, upgrades, full rupee bag etc. :D

And it's done.

I'm still pratting about on MGSV, despite finishing the main game. I'll probably play through all the side missions ( got 18 or so to go ) and then call it a day.

I started Final Fantasy (Vita) the other day. I just fancied playing through a JRPG that wasn't too lengthy. Man, the sprites look amazing on the Vita screen. They looked great on the PSP but they are a whole other level on the Vita.

Just reached Elfheim last night and plan on doing a bit of grinding around that area so I can afford some of the spells that are on sale in the town.

I'm still pratting about on MGSV, despite finishing the main game. I'll probably play through all the side missions ( got 18 or so to go ) and then call it a day.

Not going for the Platinum?

Not going for the Platinum?

I'm not sure I will be able to S Rank some of these missions, especially some of those that you unlock later. I managed to S Rank everything on Ground Zeroes but some of these missions are on a whole other level. I dunno, I may just keep chipping away at it.

How about you? You enjoy a good trophy hunt. Are you going for it?

How about you? You enjoy a good trophy hunt. Are you going for it?

Depending on whether there are more FOB trophies than the one you get for infiltrating for the first time.

Haven't looked at the trophy list as I'm afraid of spoilers. As soon as I'm done with the story I'll look it up and decide.

If there aren't any grindy online trophies then HELL YEAH I'm going for that Platinum :D

Depending on whether there are more FOB trophies than the one you get for infiltrating for the first time.

Haven't looked at the trophy list as I'm afraid of spoilers. As soon as I'm done with the story I'll look it up and decide.

If there aren't any grindy online trophies then HELL YEAH I'm going for that Platinum :D

You're good to go. That's the only online trophy there is. I nabbed that and now I don't sign into the server at all. As soon as I load the game up I just hit the decline button for the agreement option. :D

You're good to go. That's the only online trophy there is.

Well, it's decided then. : peace:

I don't sign into the server at all.

Same here :laughing: It's not like I don't enjoy the FOB stuff. Infiltrating that one time was actually really fucking fun (and difficult), however, there's so much to do in single-player I don't want to handle both.

I always go for everything. Gotta get dem heart pieces, upgrades, full rupee bag etc. :D

Ahhh, I totes couldn't see your miiverse posts when I posted - making that a completely redundant question, sorry!

I haven't done tons of gaming lately bar Watch Dogs- though I did play through Xeodrifter last week as one of this month's PS+ games on my shiny new PS4. Yet to attempt a platinum but it grew on me as I progressed. Very metroidesque, a bit tougher than I thought to start, but a fairly simple and small title that you can get through in a few hours. Can be frustrating at times as it isn't always 100% clear on where to go and you might end up doing a bit more backtracking than you'd like - but being as small as it is(only 4 'levels' essentially) it's kind of manageable.

WatchDogs I'm just keeping on keeping on. Been taking it at a rather lazy pace and doing a lot of side stuff in the interim before I get bored and take on the main missions more.

Edited by Rummy

And I add another game to my list for this year. Finally put in the time to finish up The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

It really is one of the greatest games ever.

Loved pretty much every aspect of it, from the story to the combat to the world itself. It's a perfect example of how far games have come in terms of creating game world and interactivity within them. That aspect itself is a work of art because the world is beautiful to look at and experience. And with that soundtrack and sound design (if you haven't tried it, turn the music off and just simply listen to the ambient noise, it's phenomenal how good that is) as well, constantly listening to the soundtrack every now and then because of how great it is.

What more can I say. Really don't know quite how any game will manage to top this and not to cause an argument, I can't see how any Legend of Zelda title going forward could come close to creating a world as beautiful as the one in the Witcher. Takes its place in my top 10 games of all time.

Thomas Was Alone + Benjamin’s Flight DLC

Never Alone + FoxTales DLC

The Unfinished Swan

Transistor

Rayman Legends

White Night

Toren

Broken Age

Hohokum

Pneuma: Breath of Life

Journey

Sound Shapes

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

Everybody’s Gone To The Rapture

Limbo

Tembo the Badass Elephant

Qube: Director’s Cut

Infamous: Second Son

Valiant Hearts

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

And now I continue with Mad Max, Battlefield Hardline (though this one is a bit slower than I'd liked), and the first season of The Walking Dead even though I've seen a playthrough of it all. Trine has gone by the wayside as I wasn't really enjoying it but will probably come back to it in the future.

I started Final Fantasy (Vita) the other day. I just fancied playing through a JRPG that wasn't too lengthy. Man, the sprites look amazing on the Vita screen. They looked great on the PSP but they are a whole other level on the Vita.

Just reached Elfheim last night and plan on doing a bit of grinding around that area so I can afford some of the spells that are on sale in the town.

Great choice. I just reread through some of our escapades in the Final Fantasy thread - you covered FF I on pages 23 & 24. Hope you're going to blog in detail about your progress again. So, what jobs did you pick? By the way, did you ever get round to playing FF II?

I played a little bit of FF I last month as it was free to get on Android. I didn't even play long enough to see the opening credits because no matter what people say, touch screen controls just don't feel right. I'm holding off on starting a new Dawn of Souls file in the hopes that we will get the 3D version early next year to coincide with FF Explorers.