NEurope
nekunando

Your 2015 Gaming Diary

I liked Kuru Kuru Kururin back when it got released! Challenging at times, but a fun game! :D

A few weeks ago, I played through Thomas Was Alone. Didn't know what this game was about (seems to be a think with me lately), definitely didn't think it would be a weird puzzle-platformer with blocks. :P

The game was alright I thought, but overall it became a bit samey, with most of the levels being very straightforward. It was still a nice game, but it's not really one I would highly recommend to others, or one I will remember down the line I think.

I fancied something a bit more meaty after finishing Thomas Was Alone, and decided to go for Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor. I had seen @Fierce_LiNk play through it in the past, and thought it looked very interesting. And I have to say, it didn't disappoint when I played it myself!

I really enjoyed the mechanics in this game, especially the nemesis system, which becomes more and more interesting as you progress through the story. Once you can brand the Uruks and command them, you start feeling really powerful! I had lots of fun just going around branding Uruks, setting them up against each other etc.

The game looks gorgeous as well, especially the second map with the lovely green mountains in the background. Even Jim commented on the visuals, seems he forgot how nice the game looked. :P

Also, this was the very first game I got a Platinum on! Whoop! Took some work to get all the trophies, but I really enjoyed it! :D

I will probably play Journey next, if that gets released next week. Been itching to give that a try!

Bayonetta

Hyrule Warriors

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition

Smash Bros 3DS/Wii U

Valiant Hearts

Dust: An Elysian Tail

Velocity 2X

Rogue Legacy

Cities:Skylines

Bayonetta 2

Never Alone

Fez

Guacamelee

The Unfinished Swan

Super Exploding Zoo

Infamous: Second Son

Infamous: First Light

Hotline Miami

Thomas Was Alone

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

I will probably play Journey next, if that gets released next week. Been itching to give that a try!

Out of curiosity have you ever played it before in its previous iteration? I'm keen to hear your thoughts on it after if not!

I was sitting listening to a Youtube video of the best 100 Nintendo tracks. During this time, I had been spotted by the enemies on AC. I had a boat load of them chasing me, all the while I had the Athletic theme playing from Yoshi's Island playing in my ears. It felt like a very Keystone Cops moment. :D

Whilst quite lols - was it a whole video or playlist of whole songs? Wouldn't mind having a link to it as I like having stuff like that on in the background when company's round for tabletops. I tried a playlist last week which was ok, but occasionally lacking.

Edited by Rummy

Out of curiosity have you ever played it before in its previous iteration? I'm keen to hear your thoughts on it after if not!

Nope, never played it as we were Nintendo exclusive gamers until we got our PS4 a year ago. :P

So yeah, looking forward to trying it out! Should be released tomorrow, if the news is correct. :)

Nope, never played it as we were Nintendo exclusive gamers until we got our PS4 a year ago. :P

So yeah, looking forward to trying it out! Should be released tomorrow, if the news is correct. :)

Def come and let us know how you find it! I don't know how much you've heard of the game already but I hope you'll find it a good!

(Does this mean FLink hasn't played either?? Double bonus!)

Aye, Shadow of Mordor is amazing. It's worth it alone for just the Nemesis system stuff, but the Lord of the Rings mythology within it is pretty good, too. I hope this paves the way for more games in that universe. Maybe as this one focused on the ranger, the next game could focus on the elves or dwarfs. The combat within it and the abilities you gain later on are just fantastic. Highly recommended game.

Def come and let us know how you find it! I don't know how much you've heard of the game already but I hope you'll find it a good!

(Does this mean FLink hasn't played either?? Double bonus!)

I've never played it either. :p

Not really sure what to expect. Tbh, there's loads of good "smaller" games coming out for it over the next few weeks that I'm looking forward to. Everybody's Gone To The Rapture is the one I'm really excited about.

Whilst quite lols - was it a whole video or playlist of whole songs? Wouldn't mind having a link to it as I like having stuff like that on in the background when company's round for tabletops. I tried a playlist last week which was ok, but occasionally lacking.

This was the one I was listening to.

Each song only plays for a min or so. He also spoils the ending songs by doing playing them on the piano. It's simply not needed and some of them sound pretty bad.

I love listening to lists like this. It's nice to see/hear what other people rate as their favourite tunes.

I love listening to lists like this. It's nice to see/hear what other people rate as their favourite tunes.

Same. You often hear some really unexpected ones that make you just suddenly go "oh!" It's a nice feeling and it makes it feel a bit more personal :)

I've never played it either. :p

Not really sure what to expect. Tbh, there's loads of good "smaller" games coming out for it over the next few weeks that I'm looking forward to. Everybody's Gone To The Rapture is the one I'm really excited about.

Ahhhh, well I honestly hope you both enjoy it and let us know what you think!

Started and finished Entwined today, as it is very short, about 2 hours on the story mode (less if you are better co-ordinated than I am). :P

It is a very beautiful game though, both visually and musically. The concept of the game is very simple, but it is so beautifully executed that it doesn't matter that it is simple or short. I enjoyed it very much, even when it got a little frustrating as I suck at using both analogue sticks at the same time in a precise manner. :P

entwined-featured.jpg

Love the character designs as well, and the story behind it is cute. Saw this at E3 last year and thought it looked and sounded really great, so am glad I got to try it out. :)

Bayonetta

Hyrule Warriors

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition

Smash Bros 3DS/Wii U

Valiant Hearts

Dust: An Elysian Tail

Velocity 2X

Rogue Legacy

Cities:Skylines

Bayonetta 2

Never Alone

Fez

Guacamelee

The Unfinished Swan

Super Exploding Zoo

Infamous: Second Son

Infamous: First Light

Hotline Miami

Thomas Was Alone

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

BEEP

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Screen3.png

One of the rare games where the swamp level is actually enjoyable

Game No.2 (out of 4) of that Indie Bundle I bought a while back. It definitely looks homemade (3 people total worked in this game), but it's pretty good. I've seen it described as Wall-E meets Super Mario, which I guess is apt.

It's a straightforward platformer with 6 Worlds with 4 Levels each. The main character is a cute robot with a pea shooter (to deal with enemies), a gravity gun (to deal with puzzles), and a jetpack that resembles R.O.B.'s.

Each world feels unique in both ambiance and good use of game mechanics, with the last few levels being quite challenging. The game feels very, very short, though, even if you collect all the 96 fuel cells scattered through the levels.

Still, pretty sweet game, and incredibly cheap.

Played/Beat/Completed:

-Binding of Isaac + Wrath of the Lamb Beaten (Last played: 11th January)

-Hitman Contracts Beaten (2nd February)

-Sonic CD Completed (19th February)

-Puzzle Agent Completed (17th February)

-Teslagrad Completed (8th March)

-Q.U.B.E.: Director's Cut Beaten (14th March)

-The Whispered World Completed (11th April)

-Rogue Legacy Completed (6th May)

-Kirby's Dream Course Beaten (4th June)

-Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past Completed (7th June)

-Out There Somewhere Completed (26th June)

-Spelunky Beaten (29th June)

-Kuru Kuru Kururin Beaten (19th July)

-BEEP Completed (20th July)

Currently Playing:

-Septerra Core

-Dragon Quest III

On Hold/Hiatus:

Dropped:

-Enemy Mind Needs gamepad (25th March)

Several years after completing Momohime's story in Muramasa: The Demon Blade, I finally got around to taking care of Kisuke :grin:

22309fddecd3ea9888b9046e2b845761.jpg

Muramasa: The Demon Blade (Wii)

When I first returned, I wasn't particularly enjoying it and wasn't really getting to grips with it as I hadn't played it in so long. After about 15-20 minutes, it was all good though and I had a great time slashing through enemies again :hehe:

The game is stunningly beautiful, so much so that I'm not even sure this sort of thing was allowed on Wii :heh:

This is going to be a long post, but I have so much that I want to say that there is no way around this.

I was a teenager when I discovered what I considered to be the greatest game of all time: Ocarina of Time. Spending that first section roaming around Kokiri Forest and seeing such a beautiful world; this was videogame bliss for me. My jaw dropped when I encountered Hyrule Field for the first time. Going into the castle and hearing that iconic music, the time travel aspect (I thought the game was actually over once I got the three stones...how wrong was I?!) and it finally culminated in that boss battle against Ganondorf, in both forms. Epic, iconic, a journey that blew my mind. I longed to play a videogame that could surpass this for me and could introduce me to a set of characters that I cared about so much. Majora's Mask perfectly expanded on this and the two as a double-bill are on a different level to everything I've ever played.

I can safely say that, by some considerable distance, I have just finished my (new) favourite game of all time...The Witcher 3. This game is on another level in so many different ways. It's...vast. The world is so big, yet it never feels sparse, as there is so much to see, so much to do. Which leads me into that next part: world building. What you do in the game actually matters. I cleared certain areas of monsters, and the inhabitants came back to that specific village. I saved lives, yet I also took many more, sometimes to save others. I regret many of the decisions I have made within the game and there are a great deal which affect the ending...some of which I am still agonising over whilst typing this post.

The world is beautiful, yet ugly. Seeing bodies hanging from posts as you trawl across beautiful landscapes is...unsettling to say the least. Velen contains beautiful scenery, the best landscapes I've ever seen, yet the creatures within it are vile. Even Novigrad, a medieval Amsterdam type of location contains whores dotted around the place, guards carrying swords, people out to kill you or steal from you. It's a harsh world, but so god damn gorgeous to look at.

The voice acting in this is some of the best that I have ever seen. It's of a high quality, the script work is sublime and it must have taken fucking forever to animate and craft each of those cut-scenes that take place, of which there are many. Literally, every single quest has its own designated sequence of cutscenes. It's not completely bleak 100% of the time, as there are many moments in which I've laughed, or when I've despaired, or even came close to tears. A lot of love has gone into this game. Even the Gwent card game within it deserves a whole separate game of its own. I'm sure that I'm nowhere near completing my deck and have only begun to master the Monsters Faction deck.

I hear Majora's Mask get mentioned with regards to how sidequests should be done. Now, whenever we hear about how sidequests should be accomplished, we shall be talking about The Witcher and how it's done there. It has set a new benchmark in not only videogaming, but story-telling. I fell in love with this story...and also its characters. Geralt may be the hero, but he is also accompanied by a plethora of others who, at some point or another, give something tremendous to this story. I spent a great deal of time just finding new stories within this game, taking me to unexpected places and taking lots of twists and turns along the way. There is more than just the central story, there are lots of stories that intertwine...it's ridiculously well crafted and created.

I have put so much into this game because I want to explore everything. My breath has been taken away on so many occasions, whether it's seeing the sun's rays beam through the trees in White Orchard, the snowy peaks of Skellige, the hustle and bustle of Novigrad or when something unexpected has happened during a quest. I've already ear-marked what I'll be doing with the combat system when I go into my next playthrough, because there's numerous different approaches. The final section (I won't spoil it for those who haven't played it) has left a mark on me and I'll never forget it.

I don't think I can truly do it justice with my words, but I will say that it's been an absolute pleasure and a joy to go through this. I will be getting any DLC for it straight away and...I just can't wait to jump back into this world and see what else it can offer. Once again, the best video game I have ever played on any system. :)

Games of 2015

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor - Finished and Platinumed

Transistor - Finished

The Walking Dead Season One - Finished and Platinumed

inFAMOUS Second Son - good ending completed

Watchdogs - started in 2014, finally finished main story

The Walking Dead Season Two - Finished

The Order 1886 - Finished

BLOODBORNE - Finished

Never Alone - Finished

Hohokum - Finished

The Witcher 3 - Story (and many other quests!) completed

Great read, Flinky. I'm still on the fence as to whether to pick this up but your posts does a good job of making me want to experience the game at some point.

I've been carrying on playing Assasins Creed Unity. Despite me saying that I wouldn't go for the platinum my gaming OCD got the better of me. I ended up collecting all the 300 odd chests in the game and have just 2 more sidequests to do before I net the platinum trophy. I forgot all about the free DLC as well, so I may start that soon.

I started and finished Journey (PS4) last night. Having bought it on the PS3 when it first came out, I was given this version for free. Dat crossbuy goodness.

I played through it and only met one person, who quickly sodded off. As a single player game it doesn't quite have the magic as when you find someone who is willing to stick with you.

I played through it again and managed to find a player who decided to stay for the whole adventure. This is where things become more meaningful.

I found that we kept waiting for each other at certain sections, communicated when we done something good and ran over to each other if one of us got injured. The game says so much by using so little. Very effective.

Visually the game was stunning on the PS3 and this remains true for the PS4 version. It's a shame I don't use the snap feature as I could have had some amazing screens captured throughout my playthroughs.

I've got a few more trophies to wrap up ( mostly the collectables ) before hitting 100% completion.

Great game/experience. :bowdown:

Edited by Hero-of-Time

And there was me trying to not say much about Journey to avoid spoiling them at all :p

I have to say, Flink's Witcher post alone and some of the little titles I see you all posting about is really making me think about getting a PS4 at some point. Shall maybe wait for the next good deal or a price drop and have it as something to take me through Winter. Maybe I'll set myself a challenge of actually playing all my Wii U games first though(Splatoon is getting in my way of playing anything much, right now).

And there was me trying to not say much about Journey to avoid spoiling them at all :p

I have to say, Flink's Witcher post alone and some of the little titles I see you all posting about is really making me think about getting a PS4 at some point. Shall maybe wait for the next good deal or a price drop and have it as something to take me through Winter. Maybe I'll set myself a challenge of actually playing all my Wii U games first though(Splatoon is getting in my way of playing anything much, right now).

Hopefully I haven't spoiled the experience for him. I was careful not to mention any details about the settings/levels, though.

Good stuff. You can then talk to use without having to use Skype chat on our phones. :D

Also played through Journey again. :)

Still an incredibly powerful experience, those final moments... :o:cry::love::hug:

Got all the trophies in the few hours I played last night (apart from the play a week later one, obviously :heh:) weird how you can earn the trophies again if you already played it on PS3 though. :blank:

Anyway, I realised the other day that I haven't been documenting any of the mobile games I play in this diary, so I've now added a separate section for those.

Won't include when I played/beat these games though, mainly because I can't really remember for most of them, and also because a lot of mobile games don't have an end anyway. :D

Will try to mention any standout titles I play on mobile from now on though. The latest games I've downloaded, Groove Coaster 2 and Does not Commute are both highly recommended. ;)

Groove Coaster is an awesome rhythm game that plays amazingly well on a touch screen (@Dcubed check it out if you haven't done so already!). And Does not Commute is a new game by Mediocre (the guys that made Smash Hit) and although I haven't played it that much yet, it instantly brought a smile to my face and appears to be another really well designed and fun game. icon14.gif

Have added the links to those games in the list below.

: peace:

Beat:

in January:____________

Resogun (PS4) IDbttgi.gif100%

Shovel Knight (Wii U)

Alien: Isolation (PS4)

Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS) started in 2014

LittleBigPlanet 3 (PS4)

Duck Tales: Remastered (PS3+)

Dark Souls II (PS3) started in 2014

The Swapper (PS4+)

in February:____________

InFAMOUS First Light (PS4+)

Apotheon (PS4+)

Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS) started in 2014

Yakuza 4 (PS3+)

in March:____________

Rogue Legacy (PS4+)

OlliOlli 2 (PS4+)

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (3DS)

3D Out Run (3DS) 100%

Papo & Yo (PS3+)

Valiant Hearts: The Great War (PS4+)

Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise (Wii) replay

Mighty Switch Force! 2 (3DS)

in April:____________

BOXBOY! (3DS)

Catherine (PS3)

New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U) started in 2014

Woah Dave! (PS4+)

Driveclub (PS4) IDbttgi.gif100%

Never Alone (PS4+) 100%

Yakuza: Dead Souls (PS3)

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U) replay/DLC pack 2 100%

in May:____________

Race the Sun (PS4+)

Hohokum (PS4+)

The Unfinished Swan (PS4+)

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition (PS4+) IDbttgi.gifreplay/100%

Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush (Wii U)

Splatoon (Wii U)

in June:____________

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS4+)

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U replay/DLC

Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4)

Yoshi's Woolly World (Wii U)

in July:____________

God Hand (PS2)

Rocket League (PS4+)

Entwined (PS4+)

MHbUwnT.gifJourney (PS4) replay/100%

Total: 42

Unfinished:

-

iOS:

SHREDD

Love Live! School Idol Festival

Smash Hit

REFLEC BEAT +

Turbo Dismount

Brickies

Nom Cat

Temple Run 2

Jetpack Joyride

Mighty Switch Force! Hose It Down!

Lara Croft: Relic Run

Human Cannonball

Groove Coaster 2

Does not Commute

Still an incredibly powerful experience, those final moments... :o:cry::love::hug:

Got all the trophies in the few hours I played last night (apart from the play a week later one, obviously :heh:)

Just do what I did and disconnect from the net, change your date manually and load the game up. Instant trophy. :D

Hopefully I haven't spoiled the experience for him. I was careful not to mention any details about the settings/levels, though.

That's alright, we already knew that you could bump into strangers and play the game together (without communicating). That's about all we know though, we know nothing about the levels etc.

Haven't downloaded the game yet as I didn't feel like playing anything after my dog died; didn't want to ruin the experience with my sadness. Will see when I end up downloading/playing it.

Just do what I did and disconnect from the net, change your date manually and load the game up. Instant trophy. :D
Cheers for the tip.

You really do go above and beyond when it comes to trophies. :hehe: I bet you did the elastic band thing to get the distance trophy on Rocket League too. :heh:

That's alright, we already knew that you could bump into strangers and play the game together (without communicating). That's about all we know though, we know nothing about the levels etc.

Haven't downloaded the game yet as I didn't feel like playing anything after my dog died; didn't want to ruin the experience with my sadness. Will see when I end up downloading/playing it.

Looking forward to hearing your (and @Fierce_LiNk's) impressions of the game. Just make sure whichever of you plays it first, does so alone. ;)

Cheers for the tip.

You really do go above and beyond when it comes to trophies. :hehe: I bet you did the elastic band thing to get the distance trophy on Rocket League too. :heh:

Indeed I did. :D

I have the house to myself on Saturday night so was contemplating taking care of Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes but I may take the opportunity to play through Journey again to see if I appreciate it more than last time :heh:

Got all the trophies in the few hours I played last night (apart from the play a week later one, obviously :heh:) weird how you can earn the trophies again if you already played it on PS3 though. :blank:

Anyway, I realised the other day that I haven't been documenting any of the mobile games I play in this diary, so I've now added a separate section for those.

Won't include when I played/beat these games though, mainly because I can't really remember for most of them, and also because a lot of mobile games don't have an end anyway. :D

Will try to mention any standout titles I play on mobile from now on though. The latest games I've downloaded, Groove Coaster 2 and Does not Commute are both highly recommended. ;)

Groove Coaster is an awesome rhythm game that plays amazingly well on a touch screen (@Dcubed check it out if you haven't done so already!). And Does not Commute is a new game by Mediocre (the guys that made Smash Hit) and although I haven't played it that much yet, it instantly brought a smile to my face and appears to be another really well designed and fun game. icon14.gif

Have added the links to those games in the list below.

: peace:

Beat:

in January:____________

Resogun (PS4) IDbttgi.gif100%

Shovel Knight (Wii U)

Alien: Isolation (PS4)

Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS) started in 2014

LittleBigPlanet 3 (PS4)

Duck Tales: Remastered (PS3+)

Dark Souls II (PS3) started in 2014

The Swapper (PS4+)

in February:____________

InFAMOUS First Light (PS4+)

Apotheon (PS4+)

Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS) started in 2014

Yakuza 4 (PS3+)

in March:____________

Rogue Legacy (PS4+)

OlliOlli 2 (PS4+)

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (3DS)

3D Out Run (3DS) 100%

Papo & Yo (PS3+)

Valiant Hearts: The Great War (PS4+)

Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise (Wii) replay

Mighty Switch Force! 2 (3DS)

in April:____________

BOXBOY! (3DS)

Catherine (PS3)

New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U) started in 2014

Woah Dave! (PS4+)

Driveclub (PS4) IDbttgi.gif100%

Never Alone (PS4+) 100%

Yakuza: Dead Souls (PS3)

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U) replay/DLC pack 2 100%

in May:____________

Race the Sun (PS4+)

Hohokum (PS4+)

The Unfinished Swan (PS4+)

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition (PS4+) IDbttgi.gifreplay/100%

Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush (Wii U)

Splatoon (Wii U)

in June:____________

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS4+)

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U replay/DLC

Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4)

Yoshi's Woolly World (Wii U)

in July:____________

God Hand (PS2)

Rocket League (PS4+)

Entwined (PS4+)

MHbUwnT.gifJourney (PS4) replay/100%

Total: 42

Unfinished:

-

iOS:

SHREDD

Love Live! School Idol Festival

Smash Hit

REFLEC BEAT +

Turbo Dismount

Brickies

Nom Cat

Temple Run 2

Jetpack Joyride

Mighty Switch Force! Hose It Down!

Lara Croft: Relic Run

Human Cannonball

Groove Coaster 2

Does not Commute

Oh yeah I've played Groove Coaster. It's pretty good actually! (made by the same people who did the FF3/FF4 DS remakes and 4 Warriors of Light too BTW ;) )

There's a sequel that just came out a few days ago too BTW! Would like to get a chance to try the arcade version of the 1st game sometime though...

Finished Sonic the Hedgehog 3D (3DS) from the Sega Classics range last night. Absolutely stunning port of the game. I dunno how many times i've played through the game now but it never gets old. I know we are getting Sonic 2 in a few months and i'm just hoping they do a 3DS port of Sonic 3 as well.

I also played through Streets of Rage 2 but i'm not putting that on the complete list until i've beaten it with the other 3 characters. Again, fantastic job on the port by M2.

I continued my play through of Creed Unity and i'm nearing nabbing the final trophies ( two missions need replaying). I got the platinum but now i'm working my way through the free DLC.

A lot of it is set underneath the city, so you are walking through dark catacombs quite a bit. With it being Summer, the sun makes it stupidly hard to see whats going on, even with the blinds shut! I had to keep using my eagle vision just so I could see where the hell I was going. :heh:

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Looking forward to hearing your (and @Fierce_LiNk's) impressions of the game. Just make sure whichever of you plays it first, does so alone. ;)

I was tempted to say the same - but I know people who've ended up watching someone else play and appreciate it differently, and I got told a fair bit about the game before I played it(though I had trouble picturing it) and still loved my own playthrough. Was on loan and I didn't fancy a second playthrough so soon, so ended up with just the one before I gave it back. Think it'd definitely be something I'd get if I get a PS4(though I dunno if folks'd still be playing by then :p)

There's a sequel that just came out a few days ago too BTW!
Yeah I know, that's what I was on about. :hehe:

Have been playing it quite a lot recently, it's amazing for a free download. No adds and very generous with the amount of tracks you can unlock by simply playing the game. icon14.gif

I was tempted to say the same - but I know people who've ended up watching someone else play and appreciate it differently, and I got told a fair bit about the game before I played it(though I had trouble picturing it) and still loved my own playthrough. Was on loan and I didn't fancy a second playthrough so soon, so ended up with just the one before I gave it back. Think it'd definitely be something I'd get if I get a PS4(though I dunno if folks'd still be playing by then :p)
That's interesting.

I went into my first playthrough on PS3 pretty much blind, and imagine it would have had much less impact if I'd seen/heard about it all beforehand. But everyone's different, and the game itself can be very different depending on whether you hook up with other players and how they go about the journey too. :)