NEurope
nekunando

Your 2015 Gaming Diary

Great choice. I just reread through some of our escapades in the Final Fantasy thread - you covered FF I on pages 23 & 24. Hope you're going to blog in detail about your progress again. So, what jobs did you pick? By the way, did you ever get round to playing FF II?

Yeah, I had a read of that thread after I started the game. Turns out that I picked the same job types as before!

I tried playing FF II not long after playing FF I. I gave up soon after starting it. It's all in that thread. :D I still wouldn't mind another crack at it, though.

Yeah, I had a read of that thread after I started the game. Turns out that I picked the same job types as before!

I tried playing FF II not long after playing FF I. I gave up soon after starting it. It's all in that thread. :D I still wouldn't mind another crack at it, though.

Yes but you playing a game means you finishing a game. Its rare for you to cry off. :heh: You just gotta beat on your party to strengthen them. Remember, I did it twice (plus the post game which was really difficult at the start, before assembling a full party!) so you can do it once. Sure, its a strange game by todays conventions but I like it nonetheless... and you should too.

Impatient for Etrian Mystery Dungeon to arrive, I really fancied playing a SNES game. Taking a leaf out of H-o-T's book, I downloaded something I'd always wanted to play - Final Fight 2.

I've loved brawlers since I was about eight and never grew out of them. There's just something too primal about walking along fighting hordes of enemies.

As much as I love Bare Knuckle II, there's something about the Capcom style that nobody quite ever matched. The sprites are incredibly chunky and the Final Fight games have that ever-fun "throw enemy into other enemies" mechanic. That said, in this game I actually find it's more useful to be swift and aggressive.

Speaking of which, I played the game as Carlos, who is an excellent all-rounder. He is fast enough to stop even the bigger wrestlers in their tracks, so I'm curious as to what Maki's extra speed can bring to the table (assuming she's faster).

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

Final Fight 2 is actually an excellent game! Easily one of the best 2-player home beat-'em-ups I've played. I'd say the only flaw is that it sends you back to the start of a level if you use a continue.

Perhaps arriving in 1993 it was a little bit too late. Instinctively, I feel that's the case, although as a brawler fan it seems a harsh way to dismiss a great example of the genre.

Finished Tearaway for the 3rd time, i love this game. Love the papery adventuring, and how this is probably one of, if not the game to showcase what the Vita can do.

Been playing a lot of Final Fantasy XIV since completing MGSV and really enjoying it. I've tried quite a few MMOs over the years but never really stuck with them for all that long but I think it might be the way FFXIV lets you change your job really easily and already liking most things Final Fantasy. I was planning on trying to get back into GTA V Online this weekend but I haven't been able to pry myself from FFXIV yet.

It was inevitable that I would hit a massive hurdle in Xenoblade Chronicles.. and so, that day has come :hmm:

I've been chipping away at it for weeks now and I'm at the stage where I feel the end is in sight. I actually felt like I may be able to finish the game today but, unfortunately, Disciple Lorithia intervened :blank:

I haven't had any real difficulty in the game for a good while so for a battle this difficult to appear all of a sudden has dented my optimism :( I've been comfortable for the duration of the game with a combination of Shulk, Reyn and Sharla but I have no hope of getting anywhere in this battle without mixing it up. With little experience of the other characters and an opposition HP that is barely being dented, it's like being slapped in the face.

Ultimately, I'm probably going to have to go away somewhere and grind for a while.. which is so disappointing. I've been doing really well and been enjoying the experience but I feel ready for it to come to an end. The thought of putting in several more hours to go up a few levels is not particularly appealing, but probably necessary if I want to finish this.

It was inevitable that I would hit a massive hurdle in Xenoblade Chronicles.. and so, that day has come :hmm:

I've been chipping away at it for weeks now and I'm at the stage where I feel the end is in sight. I actually felt like I may be able to finish the game today but, unfortunately, Disciple Lorithia intervened :blank:

I haven't had any real difficulty in the game for a good while so for a battle this difficult to appear all of a sudden has dented my optimism :( I've been comfortable for the duration of the game with a combination of Shulk, Reyn and Sharla but I have no hope of getting anywhere in this battle without mixing it up. With little experience of the other characters and an opposition HP that is barely being dented, it's like being slapped in the face.

Ultimately, I'm probably going to have to go away somewhere and grind for a while.. which is so disappointing. I've been doing really well and been enjoying the experience but I feel ready for it to come to an end. The thought of putting in several more hours to go up a few levels is not particularly appealing, but probably necessary if I want to finish this.

I've forgotten when that battle takes place. What's just happened in the story? Where are you?

As for the difficulty spike: Yup. This game does have them. It's a lovely game, but there are definitely moments that piss me off. Have you been doing any sidequests?

Until Dawn

Borrowed this off a lass at work yesterday to fill the gap before Fifa on Thursday.

Really enjoyed it, had a good 4 hours on it last night before finishing it tonight with only 2 survivors.

I was doing so well until I made a stupid mistake at the end...

Ashley, Sam & Mike were my favourites who I tried to protect at all costs which was going really well until the last 3 minutes.

Doubt I'll get another playthrough in before giving it back on Thursday but I'll give it a go.

I've forgotten when that battle takes place. What's just happened in the story? Where are you?

As for the difficulty spike: Yup. This game does have them. It's a lovely game, but there are definitely moments that piss me off. Have you been doing any sidequests?

I've done a few sidequests without ever really going out of my way to take care of them. Is it really worth it? The EXP on offer doesn't seem to warrant the effort as I can obtain more from killing some enemies instead.. which is often quicker :blank:

Dickson has emerged as a disciple of Zanza, who I'm now after at the heart of the Bionis

After an hour or so of grinding, I'm at level 71 but will try to take it up another couple before I even think of attempting the battle again. I've come so far that I want to see how it all ends!

Super Mario Maker.

Pretty sure everyone knows what I think about this game already (hope so anyway :hehe:) but if not, you can find out here:

http://www.n-europe.com/reviews/super-mario-maker-2

And yes, it's still a 10/10 for me, even after 100 hours. MPface.gif

Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX.

Was initially going to delay getting this game, due to SMM and MGSV, but couldn't resist getting it at launch in the end. Glad I did though, as it's such an enjoyable game. Posted my impressions in the game thread:

http://n-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=57789

Beat:

in January:____________

Resogun (PS4) IDbttgi.gif100%

Shovel Knight (Wii U)

Alien: Isolation (PS4)

Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS) started in 2014

LittleBigPlanet 3 (PS4)

Duck Tales: Remastered (PS3+)

Dark Souls II (PS3) started in 2014

The Swapper (PS4+)

in February:____________

InFAMOUS First Light (PS4+)

Apotheon (PS4+)

Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS) started in 2014

Yakuza 4 (PS3+)

in March:____________

Rogue Legacy (PS4+)

OlliOlli 2 (PS4+)

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (3DS)

3D Out Run (3DS) 100%

Papo & Yo (PS3+)

Valiant Hearts: The Great War (PS4+)

Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise (Wii) replay

Mighty Switch Force! 2 (3DS)

in April:____________

BOXBOY! (3DS)

Catherine (PS3)

New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U) started in 2014

Woah Dave! (PS4+)

Driveclub (PS4) IDbttgi.gif100%

Never Alone (PS4+) 100%

Yakuza: Dead Souls (PS3)

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U) replay/DLC pack 2 100%

in May:____________

Race the Sun (PS4+)

Hohokum (PS4+)

The Unfinished Swan (PS4+)

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition (PS4+) IDbttgi.gifreplay/100%

Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush (Wii U)

Splatoon (Wii U)

in June:____________

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS4+)

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U replay/DLC

Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4)

Yoshi's Woolly World (Wii U)

in July:____________

God Hand (PS2)

Rocket League (PS4+)

Entwined (PS4+)

Journey (PS4) replay/100%

in August:____________

Max Payne 3 (PS3)

Sound Shapes (PS4+)

flOw (PS4+)

God of War: Ascension (PS3+)

Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris (PS4+)

in September:____________

MHbUwnT.gifSuper Mario Maker (Wii U)

MHbUwnT.gifHatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX (3DS)

Total: 49

Unfinished:

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4)

SHREDD

Love Live! School Idol Festival

Smash Hit

REFLEC BEAT +

Turbo Dismount

Brickies

Nom Cat

Temple Run 2

Jetpack Joyride

Mighty Switch Force! Hose It Down!

Lara Croft: Relic Run

Human Cannonball

Groove Coaster 2

Does not Commute

Silly Sausage in Meat Land

Punch Quest

Going to try and get MGSV finished soon, then it's on to Uncharted Collection and Project Zero in October!

2015 is shaping up to be a vintage gaming year. :awesome:

I was waiting for this day...

You are not the only one to struggle with Lorithia, because she is genuinely the hardest mandatory fight in the game. There is no question about it!

The best way to cope with her is to use Melia as your lead, she's the best for coping with this kind of enemy. Sharla and Riki are the best characters for support because they have good ether attacks as well as being able to heal characters.

Using Melia is very different to using anyone else. Use summon element arts and instantly use element burst to really lay the hurt on the opponents. (This isn't normally the way you should use her, but for this boss, she should be the main attacker) Make sure you also have "Burst End" and "Mind Blast" equipped as well. Once her talent art is full, you can use these arts and do insane amounts of damage.

Sharla should have mostly healing arts, but make sure she also has Thunder Bullet.

Riki should have You Can Do It along with all of his purple arts (Burninate, Freezinate, etc.). These inflict great gradual damage. Hopefully, you've been buying all the art manuals you've seen...

One more thing you need to watch out for is the hazardous liquid around the sides. For some reason, the computer AI loves to get pushed in there. So now and again, tell the party to go to you, and once they get to you, tell them to focus attacks again.

It is not an easy fight, but you're almost finished with the game, you can do it! I believe in you!

I was waiting for this day...

You are not the only one to struggle with Lorithia, because she is genuinely the hardest mandatory fight in the game. There is no question about it!

The best way to cope with her is to use Melia as your lead, she's the best for coping with this kind of enemy. Sharla and Riki are the best characters for support because they have good ether attacks as well as being able to heal characters.

Using Melia is very different to using anyone else. Use summon element arts and instantly use element burst to really lay the hurt on the opponents. (This isn't normally the way you should use her, but for this boss, she should be the main attacker) Make sure you also have "Burst End" and "Mind Blast" equipped as well. Once her talent art is full, you can use these arts and do insane amounts of damage.

Sharla should have mostly healing arts, but make sure she also has Thunder Bullet.

Riki should have You Can Do It along with all of his purple arts (Burninate, Freezinate, etc.). These inflict great gradual damage. Hopefully, you've been buying all the art manuals you've seen...

One more thing you need to watch out for is the hazardous liquid around the sides. For some reason, the computer AI loves to get pushed in there. So now and again, tell the party to go to you, and once they get to you, tell them to focus attacks again.

It is not an easy fight, but you're almost finished with the game, you can do it! I believe in you!

I'm literally reading this just after dealing the final blow to Lorithia. I punched the air when it was done :yay:

I tried out different combinations but I didn't feel comfortable with anything other than my trusted partnership of Shulk, Reyn and Sharla. After some grinding on the Bionis Leg, I reached Level 76 with my favoured trio and took them into battle.

It took a little while but I got into a good rhythm, choosing when best to unleash chain attacks, and eventually finished her off. It feels glorious :grin: I still didn't feel comfortable until I got an opportunity to save, though, as a freeze or a power cut would have destroyed me.. :blank:

For the past month, I barely played anything. I mean, I did play Camera Obscura, but that's a short game (and not quite completed yet), and the Civ 5 match is untouched.

However, I did play something recently, at least:

A Bird Story

header.jpg?t=1441763771

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

It's a short sweet story, comparable to a film, took me 80 minutes. It makes good use of scenery and has excellent music, so it's worth checking out if you can get it cheap.

It's set in the same universe as To the Moon, and serves as a prequel to Episode 2 of that series, but it's a stand-alone story, enjoyed well on its own. Time will tell if that Episode 2 will make this short story redundant, but for now, I recommend it.

Played/Beat/Completed:

-Binding of Isaac + Wrath of the Lamb Beaten (Last played: 11th January)

-Hitman Contracts Beaten (2nd February)

-Sonic CD Completed (19th February)

-Puzzle Agent Completed (17th February)

-Teslagrad Completed (8th March)

-Q.U.B.E.: Director's Cut Beaten (14th March)

-The Whispered World Completed (11th April)

-Rogue Legacy Beaten (6th May)

-Kirby's Dream Course Beaten (4th June)

-Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past Completed (7th June)

-Out There Somewhere Completed (26th June)

-Spelunky Beaten (29th June)

-Kuru Kuru Kururin Beaten (19th July)

-BEEP Completed (20th July)

-Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tournament Completed (8th August)

-Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator Completed (16th August)

-Polarity Beaten (19th August)

-Back to the Future: The Game Completed (27th August)

-A Bird Story Completed (24th September)

Currently Playing:

-Civilization V

-Camera Obscura

On Hold/Hiatus:

-Dragon Quest III

Dropped:

-Enemy Mind Needs gamepad (25th March)

So, quite a while ago, I played through Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness.

First things first, at a certain point playing it, I couldn't help but compare it to Pokemon X and Pokemon Y.

So with that, this entry to my gaming diary is entitled...

Pokemon XD VS Pokemon X/Y

A few things to note.

Pokemon XD came out in 2005 for the Nintendo Gamecube. It is made by Genius Sonority (Read: Not Game Freak) and is most certainly a spin-off to the mainline Pokemon games.

Despite being a spin-off, it plays almost exactly like the handheld mainline games with a few mechanic tweaks.

Pokemon X/Y came out in 2013 for the 3DS. It is made by original Pokemon game creators Game Freak.

So with that, let's start comparing! No, actually, wait, one more thing.

I'm not gonna include number of Pokemon each game has, that's not fair. Of course X/Y will win that one. It came out 8 years later.

Now let's start comparing.

Graphix!

This is an interesting one. I think it's safe to say that the original 3DS is perfectly capable of matching the Gamecube in graphical prowess. It can run a version of Donkey Kong Country Returns quite nicely and that was originally a Wii game.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBCpRMPbZ1DF3_S7l5kgQYXJpWsWfSc-Pj1zwndk3PbH_zk_Azimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSK_8E_uGU4TYjPJ827r1tWFWplcaoEhh1cAsGjhMsThierZvoM

Overworld scenery wise, X/Y wins hands down. XD just looks a bit bland.

But it's not that straightforward. Especially if you look at the character models.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQysINxZPxeGIMTjlcr0f0oufT60MH-QgXxSVHV-Vi2lFr7HD39-wpokemon-xy-avatar.jpg

I know the trainer is customisable in X/Y. But XD's trainer model just looks much nicer to me. Which serves to make this choice hard.

So let's look at the visuals in battles.

gfs_67477_2_3.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg

The first thing that jumps out is how empty XD's battlefield is in that picture.

But there's a pretty good reason for that.

Look at X/Y's battlefield, notice how all the models are very similar in size?

They shouldn't be.

Let me emphasize the point with hilariously massive Pokemon, Wailord.

7-2ppbw3m.jpg

Look at that guy down there, he's an average-sized adult!

DjLPb4J.jpg

Ummmm... Pretty sure Wailmer in XD is bigger than that.

OK, that's a shot from Pokemon Colloseum, which uses the exact same engine anyway. So it doesn't matter.

XD keeps the Pokemon models to scale, while X/Y just didn't bother.

And that really bugs me. Seeing a Groudon that's around the same size as a Sceptile is disconcerting.

But hey, at least X/Y's Pokemon models are generally better than XD's, right?

Well, yeah, but at what cost?

For some reason, X/Y's frame rate can noticeably dip at times, particularly when 3 or more things are on the screen.

This game is hardly pushing the system to it's limits, and yet XD is perfectly capable of having up to 6 models of possibly massive size on the screen at once with no issues what-so-ever, so what gives?

And by the way, XD's animations are a million times more interesting than X/Y's.

You can throw as many Mr.Mime gifs at me all you like, this single animation trumps them all!

And there's many more brilliant ones on top of that.

tumblr_m72u8nq98T1rpnitgo1_400.gif

So it's still a tough call, but when your game can't handle more than a couple of things before stuttering around, I'm gonna have to give it to XD.

XD: 1 X/Y: 0

Storie!

Yeah, yeah, who cares about the story in Pokemon games? But it's still a valid point.

X/Y is simply an excuse for the gameplay to happen, (Also to shove Yveltal and Xerneas in your face) but my word, it was forgettable! And after the surprisingly decent story of Black/White, I expected a little better.

XD's story, on the other hand, tries so hard to be dark and edgy, it kind of falls flat on it's face. But at least it tried!

It's completely dumb, but that's far more preferable than a story that's utterly forgettable.

So XD gets the point here, by a landslide.

XD: 2 X/Y: 0

Gaemplae!

Both games have the same basic Pokemon battling mechanic. But XD tries to differentiate itself form the mainline series in a few ways.

First, the main method of acquiring Pokemon is effectively theft. You steal them from other trainers. (It's OK though, because this only works for Shadow Pokemon, which only the bad guys use, so that makes it cool, right?) This does really limit the amount of Pokemon you can actually get, which is either good or bad depending on whether you're looking for a kind of restrictive challenge.

The other major thing is that the majority of the battles use the double battle method. 2 VS 2, as opposed to the traditional 1 on 1. This is surprisingly refreshing, as double battles open up a lot more strategies, for both you and your opponent.

Unfortunately, XD just doesn't have a good overworld, you select where you go on a map and then you can explore that area. Well, I say explore, but each area is very linear...

And another issue is that XD's battles tend to take a while. This is no doubt due to the awesomely elaborate animations everything has. It's a price you have to pay for that.

That said, the game is quite harder than X/Y. As this video of me playing through the last few moments will show.

Skip to 5:48 if you don't want to watch us struggle to get the capture working! PROFESSIONAL!

So while XD is still fun, X/Y has more polish to the gameplay that lets it edge ahead.

XD: 2 X/Y: 1

Musak!

X/Y has a better soundtrack than XD, there's no question about it. So I won't waste your time with that

XD: 2 X/Y: 2

Hmmm... a draw, huh? Well, I'm gonna have to break this tie with a question.

What game tried harder to add to it's predecessor?

XD is a direct sequel to Pokemon Colloseum, and while it uses the same engines, there's a few things that XD added to the experience.

On top of the different mechanics Colloseum introduced (Focus on double battles and snagging other trainers Pokemon) XD also had a bunch of optional sub modes, Battle Bingo and the like. But one of the coolest things it did do were the Battle Simulators which provided you with a number of set scenarios (Normally with the odds against you) that you'd have to try and salvage a win out of.

It was a proper test of Pokemon battling knowledge and was genuinely cool.

So cool, in fact, that Pokemon Black 2/White 2 would later revive it for it's fantastic Pokestar Studios minigame.

X/Y gave us... customisable trainers? Which they would then scrap for Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire...

Plus, those trainers aren't even visible during battles!

hqdefault.jpg

XD managed to do that. (It's the small touches, you know)

So, despite my beliefs when I first booted this game up for another playthrough, I'm gonna have to say Pokemon XD is more enjoyable than Pokemon X/Y was. Because it actually tried it's very best to feel fresh! And it even manages to surpass a game that would come out 8 years later! In certain areas, anyway.

If I want to play a fantastic Pokemon game, I'm not gonna choose X/Y, I'm gonna go with Black/White.

If I want to play a different Pokemon game, I'll go with Pokemon XD.

XD: 3 X/Y: 2

Gonna go ahead and shove Super Mario Maker in there now that I've done the NWC levels. You can't really finish this game, to be frank. I also don't need to explain why it's marvelous.

And with that...

Lufia: The Legend Returns - GBC

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - WiiU (Not 100%)

Demon's Crest - SNES (Not 100%)

The World Ends With You - DS

Gunman Clive - 3DS

Gunman Clive 2 - 3DS

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse - 3DS

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D - 3DS

Dedede's Drum Dash Deluxe - 3DS

Banjo-Tooie - N64

Metroid Zero Mission - GBA (Not 100%)

Child of Light - Wii U (Single Character challenge)

Super Smash Bros - 3DS (Everything, baby!)

Super Mario World - SNES

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate - 3DS (Credits seen)

Super Mario 64 - N64 (120 stars)

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D - 3DS

Final Fantasy 8 - PS1

Tengami - WiiU

Earthbound Beginnings - NES

Puzzle & Dragons Z - 3DS

Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition - 3DS

Sin & Punishment: Successor of the Skies - Wii

Pokemon Blue - GB

Kirby Dream Land 2 - GB

Kirby's Fun Pak - SNES

Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards - N64

Kirby: Nightmare In Dream Land - GBA

Kirby and the Amazing Mirror - GBA

Kirby's Epic Yarn - Wii

Super Smash Bros. - Wii U (100%)

Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time - DS

The Last Story - Wii

Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise - Wii

Rhythm Paradise - DS

Shin Megami Tensei IV - 3DS

Super Mario Bros. - SNES (Super Mario All-Stars Version)

Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness - NGC

Super Mario Maker - WiiU

Edited by Glen-i

Continuing my trend of finishing short games in a short time:

Mega Man VII

Mega%20Man%20VII%20Title%20Screen_zps419zbq4v.png

There's no button configuration option in this game. To be fair, that sound option was too important to replace.

This is one of the weakest Classic Megaman games. The simplicity of the first 6 was great for the NES, and the Megaman X series was a fantastic evolution of the series for the more dynamic 16-bit generation. And yet, Capcom wanted to see if Classic's simplicity could also work on a more detailed environment. The answer is yes, but that goal was not achieved with this game.

Let's start with the good: the new art style is more detailed and possesses very vibrant colours, all while retaining the original's cartoony feel. This style lends itself well to stuff like freezing lava, different weather effects on the same stage and even hiding stuff behind trees. Furthermore, complex designs like Spring Man's could not really exist on the NES.

Mega%20Man%20VII%20Art%20Style_zpsnknzbsav.png

Nor could his googly-eyed Spring Mooks

However, Capcom didn't properly translate the art style into a satisfying presentation from a gameplay perspective. For starters, Mega Man runs awkwardly, taking taking 3 steps to cover a distance that would take 1 step in previous games. Second, Mega Man's sprite is so big (it felt bigger than in Game Boy games), everything on screen feels hard to dodge. Finally, in the NES game, if you shoot an enemy, you hear a "phwom" and the entire enemy glows, but in here, the tiny lemons make a "tink" sound and maybe the enemy will signal that the hit has been effective (the term "pea shooter" is more appropriate than ever with this game).

All of that might seem like minor nitpicks, but it really hurts how the game feels. Jump'n'Shoot Man no longer jumps well (the "hurtbox" and "standbox" were really clear on the NES, but not here where the animations are more complex) and he no longer enjoys shooting.

Another point against it is that the game is quite hard. Sometimes it feels fair, but most times it doesn't, and it's hard to say whether it was meant to be that hard or if it's the wonkyness in the controls playing pranks on you.

Mega%20Man%20VII%20Wily_zpsg7nnp5yy.png

This battle can fuck right off

There are plenty of items to find, and that's actually quite nice, as they're pretty fun to use (like the Rush Adaptor) and the stages' secrets are pretty fun to explore... But even this the game screws up, literally, because there's an important item, the Mega Screw, that can only be found with Rush Search, a.k.a. digging a random spot on a stage, with no indication whatsoever that anything could be buried in there. There are other items that can be found this way, but it's an optional method for those, the Screw (which unlocks those other methods in the first place) must be found like this. Bollocks, it's what it is. And don't even get me started on the asinine, nigh-bureaucratic requirements for finding the Proto Shield.

So, this game feels inferior when compared to the NES games (which feel so much better), the Megaman X series (which for the most part does not fall into the same pitfalls as this game), and even to the later MM Classic games like Megaman & Bass and Megaman 8 (which managed to accomplish pretty much everything this game was going for).

Despite everything I said, it's still a fairly enjoyable game with a genuine visual charm. It's a shame that there are so many little annoying things about it, too.

Played/Beat/Completed:

-Mega Man VII Completed (26th September)

-Camera Obscura Beaten (26th September)

Currently Playing:

-Civilization V

On Hold/Hiatus:

-Dragon Quest III

Dropped:

Edited by Jonnas

of_distillation_and_reactions_by_hugo_h2p-d9ak8qf.jpg

Awesome fanart, huh? You can find that particular artist here.

So, I also finished Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows a while back as well.

So for those of you who've been living under a rock that has not been dug up, Plague of Shadows is the first in a set of free DLC for Shovel Knight.

You play as Plague Knight, one of the 8 bosses Shovel Knight had to defeat on his quest.

You know, this guy!

plague_boss_fight.gif

This fight is still tons of fun!

He needs to collect 9 Essences in order to make the ultimate potion and conveniently enough, 7 of them belong to the other Order of No Quarter Knights. 1 belongs to the Enchantress and the 9th? Well, I'll keep that a surprise...

So along with trusty partner, Mona (NPC in Shovel Knight that provided a beaker minigame for him to play), Plague Knight goes through the levels Shovel Knight had to go through, but with a few explosive tricks that are sure to stir up the gameplay a bit.

OK, enough of that. Let's talk about this properly.

The main levels are almost exactly the same as they were in Shovel Knight, although there are a few tweaks and a few new areas that are designed for Plague Knights abilities. Although all three of the optional side levels are completely new. There's also a handful of new bosses which I won't spoil here.

Now, initially that does sound kinda lame, but there's one major difference that makes the whole experience feel immensely different to Shovel Knight.

And that thing is Plague Knight himself.

Plague Knight is no mere reskin of Shovel Knight, he is a completely different character.

Everything you thought you knew about the levels in Shovel Knight have to be rethought completely. Because the differences between the two are immense!

shovel_run.gifplague_run.gif

He runs at the speed of slow!

plague_double_jump.gif

His jump height sucks! Even with a double jump!

shovel_knockback.gifplague_knockback.gif

He gets knocked back further!

Although that's not always a bad thing...

It's not looking good for our little bird mask enthusiast. Surely, this will just result in a more frustrating experience for the player?

recovery.gif

Wait, what the hell was that?

That was a burst jump. The core mechanic that makes Plague Knight so unique to play as! You charge it up with the attack button and then let go to propel Plague at high speed.

plague_burst_doublejump.gif

Shovel Knight would never be able to make that gap.

The sudden change in speed can make Plague so much more fun to play as because it's just so dangerous! You have to commit to the action and make sure you're not gonna fling yourself into certain death.

Also worth noting is Plague's main method of attack.

plague_ground_throw.gif

So, you just never run out of those, huh?

Like the boss fight, Plague is very much projectile based. Which adds to the chaotic nature of him nicely. Mixed with the burst jump, you can do some pretty nifty stuff!

plague_air_throw_skeleton.gif

This is actually really easy to pull off.

It takes a bit of practice, but about halfway through the game, his mobility really clicked with me and I was barreling through levels at an explosive speed, pulling off hilariously mad moves! And it felt great!

And that's all you really need to know to actually beat the game, but the genius lies in mastering Plague Knight. Because you can do some truly insane things if you experiment a little.

plague_burst_doublecontrol.gif

Kill your momentum!

plague_burst_up.gif

Realise that "Up" counts as a direction!

plague_bomb_secret.gif

Reach dizzying heights!

plague_burst_invulnerable.gif

Abuse invulnerability frames!

plague_air_one.gif

Control air speed!

plague_bookroom.gif

Make... Wait... WHAT!?

plague_burst_scroll.gif

OK, come on now!

That last trick is not a glitch, you can charge Burst Jump even when you have no control over Plague. Even when you're talking to people!

And I didn't even get to the alchemy part of Plague's repertoire!

subScreen-630x378.png

You can customise Plague's bomb attacks in so many ways (216, to be exact)

So there's always a way to cope with a certain obstacle/enemy.

Thankfully, I was playing on the 3DS, so all this was easily selectable from the touch screen, but I imagine some console players won't have this luxury...

Apart from that, there's loads of really nice little nods to the normal Shovel Knight game.

Along with just flat out silliness.

tumblr_nuyblr5DpV1tsa95bo1_r2_400.gif

Um, ouch?

There's also a few new pieces of music to enjoy!

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

My particular favourite.

The game is an utter joy to play! Just finding out what's different was enough to keep playing it constantly for 2 days! Who cares if there's only 3 new unique levels? The character is what makes this great!

If you have Shovel Knight (Which you really should at this point...), Plague of Shadows is completely free. So there's no excuse! Get to it! Cause some mayhem!

And with that...

Gunman Clive - 3DS

Gunman Clive 2 - 3DS

Banjo-Tooie - N64

Super Mario World - SNES

Final Fantasy 8 - PS1

Tengami - WiiU

Puzzle & Dragons Z - 3DS

Pokemon Blue - GB

Kirby Dream Land 2 - GB

Kirby's Fun Pak - SNES

Kirby's Epic Yarn - Wii

The Last Story - Wii

Rhythm Paradise - DS

Super Mario Maker - WiiU

Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows - 3DS

Who would have thought I'd go from here..

..and yet, roughly an hour later, I may be done. I've reached a boss battle against Mechon M71, a fight that gave me a ridiculous amount of trouble last time I tried to play the game, and despite eventually beating it last time and adding a few more hours on top of that, the frustration is getting the better of me this time :hmm:

It makes me think that if I'm really struggling so much this early on it's going to be a nightmare later on. I'm not having fun anymore :sad:

..to here..

temporary_zpsc3lkrdjq.jpg

: peace:

I have mixed feelings now! The game was pretty great, for the most part, despite spending around 10 of the final 15 hours grinding :blank:

Zanza was very difficult, particularly the first form, but I eventually managed it this afternoon :yay: I was actually quite proud of myself for seeing it through :heh:

On the one hand, I find it liberating that it's all finally over as I've spent more than an hour a day, on average, from the beginning of August going through Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii. There is, however, also a feeling of sadness that it is actually over, saying goodbye to the characters I have travelled with for almost 2 months.

XENOBLADE CHRONICLES CLEAR

I've put aside Wind Waker for the time being, and trying to complete Bioshock Infinite.

It's pretty good so far! I'm enjoying the story quite a bit, which is not usually something I'd go for.

After playing Final Fight 2, I fancied something a bit different.

So...

Final Fight 3 is a strange one. Unlike Final Fight 2, I didn't even know it existed at all until it appeared on the Wii Virtual Console. If Final Fight 2 was late to the party, Final Fight 3 arrived just in time to clear up! It's only the difference between 1993 and 1995, but people's minds had turned to the 32- and 64-bit consoles by then.

I hate to say it, but something about Final Fight 3 feels a bit off. Whereas the 2nd game felt like a love letter to the classic beat-'em-up, and still feels like Capcom in their prime, the 3rd game seems like more of a cash-in. Backgrounds and sprites are not quite as lovingly drawn.

Perhaps the most noticeable difference is the influence of Street Fighter II on the game. There are now multiple special moves, many of which make use of the 8-way D-pad. In a brawler like this, that can easily mean a press of the wrong button. Part of the appeal of Final Fight 2 and Streets of Rage 2 is the way you can fling an enemy into others. You can still do that, of course, but you're just as likely to unintentionally switch the side you are grappling from, or simply slam them into the ground. This may be fine for those with the patience to learn the moves, but (thankfully) the game is not difficult enough to make them in any way necessary.

It doesn't help that the line-up is not quite as satisfying as previous games. Whilst there are now four playable characters (including Guy, Haggar and the typical fast-but-weak female character, Lucia), it could be argued there is not an all-rounder as good as Cody or Carlos. Dean looks the part, but is a tad slow.

The game overall is occasionally bizarre, with it possible to shorten certain levels by breaking specific items of scenery; there are also stretches with hardly any enemies at all, and some purely with breakable barrels! At one point I'm pretty sure I entered a tube train, only for my playable character (Guy) to walk out without fighting anyone!!

On the bright side, there are now female enemies in a Western version of a Nintendo Final Fight game (yay!) It is a decent-enough 2-player brawler, but in no way recommended over the 2nd game.

After playing Final Fight 2 and 3, I wanted some variety.

So...

It took me ages to play the original Final Fight because I was deciding which version to get. The SNES game has better graphics, whilst the GBA port has Guy and the Rolento level. Even though I'm not a huge fan of either, the completionist in me was dominant!

The first thing I noticed was the difficulty. Despite leaving it on "Normal", I barely made it into the 2nd level! Even the weakest enemy will take you down in a flurry of punches if you lose concentration for just a moment. Putting the difficulty on "Very Easy" does not actually seem to lessen their skill; rather, it gives them less sturdy health bars.

From my hazy memory of all versions, this GBA port plays much more like the arcade game than the SNES version. As I understand it, enemy placement is the same, plus there are loads of cheap shots - the type you'd associate with a coin-op that (naturally) wants your coins. Barrels frequently roll across the entire playable zone, each hoping to knock you off your feet; and if a boss like Abigail gets hold of you (with his far superior reach), that's half your health bar depleted. As for Rolento's level, the hazards in it are ridiculous.

I've always considered Final Fight to walk a fine line between the difficulty of the typical home console game and other arcade games. I don't think it's as easy to master as Sega's best (Golden Axe, Bare Knuckle), but nor does it feel quite as unfair as Konami's line-up (Ninja Turtles). As long as you use speed and skill, you are free to perform any moves you choose; and as long as you have chosen the right one, the computer won't cheat you out of another continue. Undoubtedly this hard-but-just-about-fair approach keeps Final Fight so revered.

I've been playing quite a few brawlers lately, and so it's interesting to see how they compare. Final Fight offers very few moves compared to others, but it uses them to great effect. You'd be unwise to attempt grapples as much as in, say, Streets of Rage - more than likely the enemy will intercept you first. A better method is to punch away, then, if you need to, hope you are close enough to grab him and throw the other way. The computer is fair enough that you probably will be.

No two ways about it, Final Fight is an absolute classic. Everything comes together - well-judged difficulty, set-pieces, coolness - to make a game that is still loved, revered and respected. The GBA port is not perfect - no female enemies, no Jessica in her bra! - but it is a darn good port that actually plays like it's meant to. Final Fight has the spirit of the time (and my youth) - where a villainous gang would kidnap the mayor's daughter and all it took to rescue her was two tough guys from the gym. Like a select few other classic beat-'em-ups (Double Dragon, Golden Axe), it genuinely has a place in my heart.

Edited by Grazza
Automerged Doublepost

And another one down. Completed Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Completed it a while back, but not been here for a little while.

So I didn't redo any of the missions with the new difficulty spikes. I just stuck to story missions and side ops when available and just did loads of side ops to unlock new story missions.

Quiet Goodbye - Holy fuck. That was ridiculous. I was getting so fucking frustrated. I ended up completing it with the baby chick hat on. There was so much swearing and rage while playing that level.

Then the final mission was really random redoing the prologue mission again. Pretty cool though.

Enjoyed the game alot, but the 2nd chapter did feel really weird. Is it true that the Kojima split with Konami effected chapter 2's pacing and progression?

Either way really awesome experience and I actually would say my GoTY for 2015 so far. But there's a lot left to come out.

Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag (PS4)

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4)

The Last of Us Remastered (PS4)

Thief (PS4)

Valiant Hearts (PS4)

Abe's Oddysee: New N Tasty (PS4)

Far Cry 4 (PS4)

The Walking Dead Season 1 & 400 Days DLC (PS4)

Never Alone (PS4)

The Unfinished Swan (PS4)

The Walking Dead Season 2 (PS4)

The Witcher: Wild Hunt (PS4)

Batman Arkham Knight (PS4)

Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD (WiiU)

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

So, I noticed a few games on my Steam account had been updated when I wasn't looking:

-To the Moon: There were a couple of "minisodes", which take 20 minutes each. We get some development on the main characters and the world, and they hint at plot points that are certainly going to be important later. I think these are free DLC for every release of the game, so check them if you can.

-Rock of Ages: Just Steam cards that weren't there before, BUT I decided to go get the rest of the collectible keys. All I have left to complete the game now are the Obstacle Courses, Time Trials, and a couple of achievements. Since I'm playing other stuff, I'll be leaving those for later (again).

-Binding of Isaac: Despite Rebirth, they actually added a Hard Mode (!) to Wrath of the Lamb (with 15 new achievements, to boot). Since I still had so much of the game to complete, I'm leaving that Hard Mode for later. For now, I'll complete the WoL Challenges that I hadn't yet (and play the game until I get bored of it again).

Before all of this, I was finally done with:

Camera Obscura

header.jpg?t=1434059929

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

This is the 4th and final game of that bundle I mentioned a while back. I think this is the best of those 4 games, though definitely not the most polished. It's a puzzle/platformer with good sprite art, an excellent soundtrack, and an interesting gameplay mechanic.

Essentially, you take a photo of the screen, and solid blocks will create an "afterimage" that moves with you for a couple of seconds, before freezing in place (also in a solid state). For example, this picture shows what happens when you take a photo and jump forward. It might seem limited, but it gets played with a lot during the game (tiles that don't create afterimages, tiles that erase afterimages, enemies that must be "escorted" with the technique, etc). I mentioned recently in another thread that I usually compare puzzle games to Donkey Kong '94, and the varied use of a versatile mechanic makes this game worthy of being compared to it.

The difficulty curve does not disappoint. You start with basic puzzles, then come the easy ones, and soon enough there's tricky platforming combined with creative use of the afterimages. The final levels are genuinely tricky stuff, too. Tough, but mostly fair, this is some manly difficulty.

The plot is told via 71 collectible polaroids scattered throughout the game (reminds me of Braid), most of them being optional. Each level has two ranking systems, one for finishing with the fewest flashes possible and another for finishing them in record time. For early levels, these are the same thing, but for later levels solving the levels efficiently and quickly are two distinct things. I don't recommend going for these the first time around, the mid-game levels have insane requirements.

I can proudly say that I got every single gold medal in the game :yay: But I only collected 70 polaroids :( I know where the last one is, but I can't reach it, in fact, I have yet to find anybody online who ever got it (it likely requires insane, precise timing). I'm also missing a couple of achievements that aren't registering.

The game is noticeably rough around the edges. Besides the impossible picture and the faulty achievements, there's stuff like the behaviour of the pillbug enemy glitching very easily. Furthermore, if you take a photo during movement, it's unclear what the afterimage will capture, due to the sudden camera movements (this could be solved with a visible outline on the screen). I don't know if these problems will ever be addressed, the game was made by a group of university students for a small project.

Overall, still a great game that I recommend, but be prepared for a challenge.

Played/Beat/Completed:

-Mega Man VII Completed (26th September)

-Camera Obscura Beaten (26th September)

-To the Moon: Sigmund Minisodes 1&2 Completed (28th September)

Currently Playing:

-Civilization V

-Binding of Isaac (Round 2)

On Hold/Hiatus:

-Dragon Quest III

Dropped:

Edited by Jonnas

-To the Moon: There were a couple of "minisodes", which take 20 minutes each. We get some development on the main characters and the world, and they hint at plot points that are certainly going to be important later. I think these are free DLC for every release of the game, so check them if you can.

I'll need to have a look at that then, I loved To The Moon.

C&P from the MGSV thread:

After 100 hours... Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is "complete"! :yay:

DjtENey.jpg

Wasn't too keen on having to replay the first mission again

:zzz: but the way it uses the info you provide at the start of the game was a nice touch:

G5ULyPl.jpg

Yeah, against all odds I managed to beat this game! :hehe:

Has been a very interesting experience for me, one that has managed to change my opinion of stealth gameplay completely! :o

Apart from Mission 45 (not sure what happened with that one :indeed:) and a few other oddities here and there, MGSV is one of the most well designed video games I've ever played. The level of detail in the presentation and more importantly the game mechanics is nothing short of phenomenal, and even after 100 hours I know there is still a lot of stuff in the game that I haven't seen, and probably never will.

The potential for experimentation when playing this game is actually scary. To achieve such diverse gameplay in an open world setting seems like it shouldn't be possible, but somehow they pulled it off. MGSV raises the bar in a lot of areas of game design to incredible heights and it'll be very interesting to see if/how any game manages to surpass it.

Beat:

in January:____________

Resogun (PS4) IDbttgi.gif100%

Shovel Knight (Wii U)

Alien: Isolation (PS4)

Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS) started in 2014

LittleBigPlanet 3 (PS4)

Duck Tales: Remastered (PS3+)

Dark Souls II (PS3) started in 2014

The Swapper (PS4+)

in February:____________

InFAMOUS First Light (PS4+)

Apotheon (PS4+)

Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS) started in 2014

Yakuza 4 (PS3+)

in March:____________

Rogue Legacy (PS4+)

OlliOlli 2 (PS4+)

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (3DS)

3D Out Run (3DS) 100%

Papo & Yo (PS3+)

Valiant Hearts: The Great War (PS4+)

Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise (Wii) replay

Mighty Switch Force! 2 (3DS)

in April:____________

BOXBOY! (3DS)

Catherine (PS3)

New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U) started in 2014

Woah Dave! (PS4+)

Driveclub (PS4) IDbttgi.gif100%

Never Alone (PS4+) 100%

Yakuza: Dead Souls (PS3)

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U) replay/DLC pack 2 100%

in May:____________

Race the Sun (PS4+)

Hohokum (PS4+)

The Unfinished Swan (PS4+)

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition (PS4+) IDbttgi.gifreplay/100%

Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush (Wii U)

Splatoon (Wii U)

in June:____________

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS4+)

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U replay/DLC

Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4)

Yoshi's Woolly World (Wii U)

in July:____________

God Hand (PS2)

Rocket League (PS4+)

Entwined (PS4+)

Journey (PS4) replay/100%

in August:____________

Max Payne 3 (PS3)

Sound Shapes (PS4+)

flOw (PS4+)

God of War: Ascension (PS3+)

Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris (PS4+)

in September:____________

Super Mario Maker (Wii U)

Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX (3DS)

MHbUwnT.gifMetal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4)

Total: 50

Unfinished:

-

SHREDD

Just a quick update: I've completed Final Fight One on "Normal" (hooray!) I can 2-cred the game, but not 1-cred it. The beach level with Abigail always gets me!

I'm so pleased I chose this version. Alpha Cody is awesome, and one of the reasons I now think the GBA port is one of the better ones. The more I play Final Fight, the more I like it.

Wind Waker HD

New Super Mario Bros U

Super Mario 3D World

Majora's Mask 3D

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (3DS + Wii U)

Mighty Switch Force - Par times (3DS + Wii U)

Mighty Switch Force 2 - Par times (3DS + Wii U)

3D Afterburner II

3D Galaxy Force II

3D Out Run

3D Streets of Rage

3D Streets of Rage 2

Axelay

Final Fight One

Final Fight 2

Final Fight 3

This year, Wayforward, Sega and Capcom have done it for me more than retail games.

Edited by Grazza

Now, I'm sure those of you who frequent this topic know how I tend to write entries, I name a game I recently played through, write up my thoughts of said game, provide probably too many pictures for the sake of hopefully making you smirk at your screen a little.

Sometimes I do a general rounding-up or I might follow some kind of theme. Depends on the game, really.

But today, I have to talk about the latest game I've finished... And that might be problematic...

header.jpg?t=1444396040

Looking at the "Other Consoles" section of this forum, it's safe to assume that the majority of you have no clue what this game is.

Undertale is a game that is available on Steam (PC), almost entirely developed by a bloke called Toby Fox. On the surface, it is a traditional Turn-based RPG.

Which leads me to the problematic issue, I refuse to say any more on what this game is.

If I were to say anything else, I'd know I would be ruining it for anyone who hasn't played it. And quite frankly, this game deserves to be played with as little prior knowledge as possible. So no, I won't explain my thoughts on it, I won't even hide my thoughts behind a spoiler tag.

I want you to listen very carefully, because I am being deadly serious now.

Undertale is a masterpiece.

If you don't play it, you are only cheating yourself.

Do not look up gameplay on Youtube.

Do not dismiss it because you don't like Turn-based RPG's.

Do not do any research on it's plot or gameplay mechanics.

Just play it.

Got that?

Gunman Clive - 3DS

Gunman Clive 2 - 3DS

Banjo-Tooie - N64

Super Mario World - SNES

Final Fantasy 8 - PS1

Tengami - WiiU

Puzzle & Dragons Z - 3DS

Pokemon Blue - GB

Kirby Dream Land 2 - GB

Kirby's Fun Pak - SNES

Kirby's Epic Yarn - Wii

The Last Story - Wii

Rhythm Paradise - DS

Super Mario Maker - WiiU

Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows - 3DS

Undertale - PC