NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Rummy

Replacement phone suggestion?

So it seems that my current phone may be on its way out, working only really with the old GSM signal rather than WCDMA(which is for the faster speeds etc from what I've literally just been learning) - if I turn on auto choice/WCDMA only it keeps losing signal, whereas with GSM only despite being SLOOOOOOW I can at least technically get calls and texts without too much issue.

So I'm probably after a replacement! Though I was hoping not to go too crazy on the budget - possibly even second hand or just a budget phone. Ideally a bit better than this phone(not sure how old the One V is, I got it for £70 just under 2 years ago) and whilst it worked and did the job I was getting frustrated with it lately anyway, possibly due to its lower RAM of 512MB.

Does anyone know their phones well? Suggest me a replacement that won't break the bank but also won't be too terrible? Mostly I just facebook, whatsapp and check email with it, with a bit of internetting on the side. I do take photos a bit, but don't use it much for watching video etc - mostly I do that at home and send stuff to chromecast/use a different device.

I'm on giffgaff and kinda wanna stay with them as PAYG, so I'd be buying a phone outright rather than going contract - unless someone can present me with a really convincing argument otherwise. I currently spend £10 a month for unlimited texts, 1GB data(does me just fine), and 500 minutes(more than I ever use).

I just bought the Moto G for £135 to use with my Giffgaff sim, and you should too.

I second the Moto G for a cheap phone. My girlfriend and brother have it, it's good. You can get the next version of the Moto G from Tesco now too.

If you want to pay a bit more then get a OnePlus One. You can buy an invite code for about £3 off eBay for the 64GB version.

I bought a Xiaomi Redmi for £65. Come at me.

Seriously though, are you looking for Android or Windows?

I bought a Xiaomi Redmi for £65. Come at me.

Seriously though, are you looking for Android or Windows?

So that's your number eh!

I'd be looking for Android tbh, and I don't even mind something a little old if it saves me a few pounds. Seems I'm turning over phones ever 2-3 years due to various mishaps, so I wonder whether it's worth putting more than £100-150 into one, in the event of me totally spazzing out and breaking it/it breaking itself somehow.

Must say I've had another recommendation of the Moto G though, so maybe I'll look into that. Where does a Samsung Galaxy Mini S3 stand these days?

I understand the Moto G's a bit more recent so would buy that over the s3 mini. In general how is the Galaxy s3 mini though? Anyone got one? Turns out a girl at work might actually be getting shot of hers this weekend, so I might see what she plans to do with it and if it might be a worthwhile stand-in for a little bit. I wouldn't mind having a slightly pants-er phone for backup when things go wrong and then a slightly nicer one for actual day to day too.

I second the Moto G for a cheap phone. My girlfriend and brother have it, it's good. You can get the next version of the Moto G from Tesco now too.

If you want to pay a bit more then get a OnePlus One. You can buy an invite code for about £3 off eBay for the 64GB version.

OnePlus One is £200+ right? Bit more than I'd consider. I also know a guy from the wards I work was thinking of getting rid of his HTC One, and he keeps his stuff in pretty good nick, would £150 for a decent condition HTC One be a good price, compared to a brand new Moto G? I've still got my old HTC Desire too, which whilst a bit old seemed better than my One V, only annoying problem is the screen's crack(ie do I attempt to buy and replace it myself just to have a cheap phone solution).

Too many decisions for an indecisive man -.-

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

If you want the Moto G then you can get it here for £129 with code TDX-YGPK (must be a new account).

Moogle_by_NoodleThug.jpg

I thought so when you said Kupo, but I just wasn't sure! I didn't save a lot of N-E numbers, and...that's actually not my real REAL number either :p

I'll have to see what the lady at work is saying, and if I can get in touch with the other guy about his One before I jump at the Moto G, checking specs of all the diff phones on gsmarena and the One looks pretty good in comparison to the others, just depends on the guy.

Rummikub, I own a Moto G and can confirm that it is nice. Am also on GiffGaff. Haven't had any complaints so far. If you're looking for an android on a tight budget, this is the phone to go for.

DO EEEET.

Mine comes on Wednesday. I'll give you the definitive review then.

Mine comes on Wednesday. I'll give you the definitive review then.

We MotoG-brahs now?

6f6.gif

No, not until Wednesday.

Do you not listen to him?

But..but..

He bought it. Even if it's not technically here, he still owns it.

Ooooh, debate: Does the item become yours when you exchange the monies or when you hold it in your talons? :D

JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT ONE OF US, MOOGLE.

JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT ONE OF US, MOOGLE.

I didn't want to be in your stupid club anyway!

Sad-Baby-Girl-Picture1.jpg

Enjoy your Moto G. The G stands for Gay!!!

We MotoG-brahs now?

Yup. You, me, Rummy (eventually), and Sheikah's girlfriend. Just not Moogle. Never Moogle.

So due to monies I've settled for this old Galaxy SIII mini for £50, does anyone know anything about unlocking them from network locks? It's locked to EE and I'll need it to be sim-free/o2, will give it a crack if it isn't too hard to do myself(not googled it yet as I've literally only just got the phone, will also have a look round when I get home).

So due to monies I've settled for this old Galaxy SIII mini for £50, does anyone know anything about unlocking them from network locks? It's locked to EE and I'll need it to be sim-free/o2, will give it a crack if it isn't too hard to do myself(not googled it yet as I've literally only just got the phone, will also have a look round when I get home).

Here you go.

Thanks, looks a bit of a ballache and I'm also not actually sure whether it'll work with this - most guides seem to refer to that gt-s5570, this is apparently a gt-i8190N, and there's lots of questions about it and not all too much info. Might give it a go rooting it, though depending what they'll charge in an unlocking shop I might just go for that.

Edited by Rummy

So my £60(inc unlocking fee as it needed UART or something) secondhand S3 mini seems to be having some issues where it's enjoying a restart a few times a day. I might 'final solution' restore it to default cyanogenmod settings(got it on there after having it unlocked) and maybe update the ROM, but also contemplating just chucking some bunce at a new phone instead.

Would recommendations now still be a Moto G, or equivalent, or has it been surpassed by anything else? Don't mind the less familiar brands if they're known reliable etc.

So my £60(inc unlocking fee as it needed UART or something) secondhand S3 mini seems to be having some issues where it's enjoying a restart a few times a day. I might 'final solution' restore it to default cyanogenmod settings(got it on there after having it unlocked) and maybe update the ROM, but also contemplating just chucking some bunce at a new phone instead.

Would recommendations now still be a Moto G, or equivalent, or has it been surpassed by anything else? Don't mind the less familiar brands if they're known reliable etc.

I'd get a Xiaomi. I've had an Mi 4 for the last year or so, and it's great. The Xiaomi Redmi 3 Pro would be a great choice if you're still looking at sub-£200. The only issue with a Xiaomi is importing it/buying it wherever you can get it.

Don't know if @MoogleViper would still recommend Xiaomi too?

Sign in to follow this