NEurope
Serebii

New Year's Resolutions 2015

Hey guys

Time for the usual annual "let's pledge to do something that we will never do"

Post your new years resolutions here and crosspost with your one from last year from this thread: http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54024&highlight=new+years+resolution Did you manage it?

Mine was

Got so far as building and coding a robotic crane arm, but then got distracted by Generation VI of Pokémon. My attempts at wooing a human female also failed.

Same idea this year I guess

Mine's the same, find a companion, but I also wish to finish the new site layout I have been noodling with all year.

How about everyone else?

Edited by Serebii

Get a date? Drag your website kicking and screaming out of the early '00s? I don't know, Serebii. Maybe you should make some more realistic New Year's resolutions. :heh:

Get a date? Drag your website kicking and screaming out of the early '00s? I don't know, Serebii. Maybe you should make some more realistic New Year's resolutions. :heh:

You git :p

The same as the last few years: get a girlfriend. I actually think that I may be able to pull it off this year. I'm quite confident that I'll have a date in less than two weeks.

Surely something like getting a date is ultimately out of your hands - shouldn't the goal be to be more confident, self assertive, and outgoing (or embracing other qualities people find desireable that you can address) in a bid to appeal more to people that may then choose to go out with you because you've been able to sell yourself better? Work on those and you gain more than just the ability to dupe a women into going for a meal or drinks with you.

I read the other day that only 8% of people stick to their new years resolutions because they are either outlandish or just not in their control.

For the past couple of years, I've took a different approach of the New Year Challenge. Last year, I went the whole year, I didn't consume any alcohol but still did the things that would lead me into situations where I'd normally partake of it. This year, I went without Pizza for 12 months. Both proved healthy for my body and my bank account which gave added motivation. Not sure I'll both this year mind as ultimately they were both born out of a promise to a person I no longer feel accountable to but promises to others are easier to keep than those to yourself.

Surely something like getting a date is ultimately out of your hands - shouldn't the goal be to be more confident, self assertive, and outgoing (or embracing other qualities people find desireable that you can address) in a bid to appeal more to people that may then choose to go out with you because you've been able to sell yourself better? Work on those and you gain more than just the ability to dupe a women into going for a meal or drinks with you.

I've already started doing that. The date I'm talking about isn't going to be with a random girl, but someone in particular (well, hopefully). I've had the confidence to talk to her more often (we've known each other for a while but never really spoke until she helped my babysit my sister's kids) and I've noticed some other changes in my personality due to it - for example, I didn't sit in a corner at my work's Christmas do, I actually enjoyed myself and even danced. I'm not "duping" a girl into a date, I'm asking someone I like out and I think she'll say yes because of how well we seem to be getting on.

It's not a New Year's resolution, it's something I've already realised needs to change and is something I'm already working on.

Happy for you @Cube, good luck with your endeavours, seem to be making some really positive decisions.

As for me, 2014 was by far and away the worst year of my life. I think I would be pretty happy with whatever I do if it's just not as bad as that.

I've already started doing that. The date I'm talking about isn't going to be with a random girl, but someone in particular (well, hopefully). I've had the confidence to talk to her more often (we've known each other for a while but never really spoke until she helped my babysit my sister's kids) and I've noticed some other changes in my personality due to it - for example, I didn't sit in a corner at my work's Christmas do, I actually enjoyed myself and even danced. I'm not "duping" a girl into a date, I'm asking someone I like out and I think she'll say yes because of how well we seem to be getting on.

It's not a New Year's resolution, it's something I've already realised needs to change and is something I'm already working on.

That's great to hear Cube - my comment was more aimed at Serebii than yourself. The use of the word "dupe" was used somewhat in jest but in more to do with actually kidding yourself rather than the other person. Not going on dates is a symptom rather than the cause so reading something like "go on a date" as a resolution doesn't really tell us anything that you are going to do to make that happen - the very thing that should be the resolution.

But it's clear you are already aware of that and are doing something about. So for you, it's about continuing the good progress and actually putting it to use.

- lose weight

Nope, but I am fitter.

- get a new job and move somewhere else

Nope, try again.

- (once the above two have been accomplished) try to meet somebody. If you don't meet anybody through new job/moving, give online dating a try (and actually do something on it, not just signing up and occasionally logging in).

Didn't do the first two. Went on dates with three girls this year which, considering I wasn't pushing two hard for them (due to not achieving the above), isn't too bad.

- complete another half marathon. Bronze: beat old time; Silver: beat 1:45:00; Gold: beat 1:40:00.

Nope. I was training for the Sheffield half marathon and it was going well, but I injured my ankle playing football, and then the marathon was cancelled due to a water shortage.

- get laid (without acquiring a receipt)

Nope.

2015 resolutions

- Get a new job and move to a different city

- Lose weight/continue getting fitter

- Get a new hobby

- Up your dating game

Well from last year's I did indeed speak to my father less (didn't see him for 11 months), carried on going to the gym and did end up going to Paris and Rome. Didn't get round to USA/Canada, but maybe 2015.

I'm not making resolutions this year. There are things I want to do, but can't be bothered to frame them as resolutions.

Last year's resolutions = blue,

Result is in black,

Next year's = red.

Get out of overdraft and start saving for a house.

We've started saving for a house and are over a third of the way there towards getting a deposit, close to half actually. We'll get there, it'll just take time, but we have started saving. I'm also making progress on the overdraft front.

Next year: Continue to save for a house/deposit.

Increase my lifts. All of theeem.

I've started Stronglifts and have made big improvements with my squats especially. My overhead press has improved, as have my rows. I've also made good progress with the bench and deadlift, although haven't passed my personal bests just yet here.

Next year: Continue to increase my lifts, all of theeeeeem.

Get lean for summer, but bulk at some point.

Very successful. Lost a ton of bodyfat and had a lot of compliments in regards to this. Felt pretty awesome being able to look in the mirror and see the visible improvements. I'm now bulking again and will continue to do so to get my lifts up before cutting.

Next year: Keep bulking to increase my lifts and gain some size.

To turn our school football team from chumps to champions

We're not champions, but we've been playing far, far better football than we ever have done. I'm going to be taking over some of the PE stuff at school next term and will be helping the kids play in competitive fixtures, so we need to do some training to go alongside that. So, quite successful this has been. My afterschool club is still popular and I've actually seen the behaviour and self-esteem improve for a few kids who have been regular members. Got a load of positive comments from parents, lots of thank yous, so that's great.

Next year: Improve the football team and make them even better. Win a tournament!

Save up for Rock Werchter in Belgium!

Didn't do this...we ended up going on Holiday to Spain instead; our first proper holiday together. Was wonderful.

Next year: To go back to Spain would be great.

To improve my Dutch/Flemish and Spanish.

Spanish has improved and I've definitely improved my Dutch compared to this point last year. My understanding is better and I can actually form decent phrases and sentences. The problem is now that I can speak to Ine quite well but I almost freeze when it's anybody else, I guess I fear getting things wrong.

Next year: To improve my Dutch/Flemish and Spanish and to be more confident speaking to other people in these languages.

To start looking at the basics of the keyboard.

Didn't do this as I ran out of time.

Next year: To start looking at the basics of the keyboard.

Somehow, someway, record an instrumental where I play bass, guitar and drums and save up for an electric drum kit.

I semi did this. I recorded a guitar and bass part, but haven't got drums. I did this earlier in the year and enjoyed it and think I can actually achieve more here. The problem is getting the drum kit and finding the time to do this as well as all of the other stuff.

Next year: To continue with this and to get that drum kit.

Looking back on all of these, I think it's actually been quite a successful year in this regard. I've had some sad times too, with my Dad passing away and a few changes in work which has made things tricky this year. But, at the same time, I've powered through this stuff and I think I've actually done alright. I did some of my best ever teaching in the same term that my Dad died and got told that I was outstanding by my head of junior school. I organised the school play, designed homework/teaching booklets, all sorts of stuff. So, despite the sadness, it's been successful in a lot of ways.

Not really one for New Year's resolutions myself. I managed to make proper changes with my life this year and I'm planning on doing the same again in 2015, thats enough for me.

2014 Resolutions:

-While I didn't pass fucking everything, I did pass mostly everything, and will be finishing my Master's at the same time as if I did, so that's good.

-I did end up learning something new: a few things about programming (which I ended up using on my thesis, so that was fulfilled).

-I did not find a job abroad :( ...yet. I did manage to find a tutoring gig, though, and I did learn valuable job-searching experience for when I start looking for proper full-time jobs abroad.

A mostly positive balance, I'd say.

As for new New Year's Resolutions... that's hard to say, as I have my near future fairly planned out, so these resolutions should be made in March, not now. Still:

-Stay active when job searching, whether that be continuing with my C formation, learning a language or doing volunteer work.

-Don't settle for little. Always aim for a more fulfilling place.

Didn't make any last year but my 2015 resolutions are...

Buy a house/flat/property in Bristol

Get a job in a proper design agency (although I do really enjoy my current job so this isn't a priority)

Get fitter - as fit or better than I was between my second and third year of University (18 months ago)

Nicking, Flink's colour co-ordination idea:

Last year's resolutions is blue

Result is in black

This year's resolutions is red

Lose at least another stone/become slimmer and stronger

SUCCESS! I was 16st 11lb when I weighed in and now I'm 16st 3lb. It doesn't seem like much but my result is not only in the way I look but also in my measurements. Also, I've moved down a size in shirts and I'm down a few inches round my waist too but I'm still wearing bigger clothes because I feel more comfortable in myself wearing them.

Lose weight, get slim and get stronger

Bench at least 100kg or more

SUCCESS! Well, it's not exactly something that's easy for me to do. I do it as my one-rep max and I need someone to spot me but I've done it with great difficulty. I class it as a pass anyway.

Bench more than 80kg regularly

Become a supervisor

SUCCESS! I quit my shoe shop job because they basically told me it would never happen and I found a job as a supervisor in another store in the same shopping mall. More money, more hours and more fun to work for. I can get stressed sometimes but a lot of the times, it's fun.

Get a qualification or something (not fussed if I do this one or not)

Meet someone

??? Well, I've met someone and I like her and she says she likes me back but...oh I don't know!

Progress into a relationship/meet someone

Write in a blog every day

FAIL! I did extremely well until May or June and I just didn't bother. I started up another blog, a weight-loss one, with my friend and it's more successful. Got some readers and even met some cool people but I think Wordpress's stats thing is jacked because it doesn't recognise any of them. Still, I'm chuffed.

Keep on writing in a blog or start vlogging

Finish writing my book

FAIL! Still, writing it.

Finish writing my book

Well, I've achieved quite a bit so let's hope this year I do the same and more...

I actually think that I may be able to pull it off this year.

Well, if you don't get a girlfriend, there's your backup plan right there!

Stop being fat.

I'm 30 this year. I want to feel fitter for then. 8 months to go... Il start after this cheeseburger. Promise.

These were last years resolutions i made

Lose Weight

It kind of worked, overall i was 1/2 a stone lighter than i was in 2013 by the end of 2014. So i guess that's a success.

Become more Social

Success on this one as well.

Leave my job + Get another job

Success on this one, left the contact centre after many months of hell. Still in the same company, just a different department which is no phone-based work at all (so far)

Stop being a dick/idiot

I think this has worked, people seem to be talking about me in a good way these days.

Read more books

Failed on this front, only read 2 books last year. And that book which was on my bedside table for nearly 2 years, still there just another 1/4 through it.

This years resolutions are

• Read more books
  • Lose more weight

That's about it really.

While I don't like the idea of New Years Resolutions I suppose there's a few things I'll be working towards this year...

Do things for myself : This probably sounds basic or really simple but what I mean is just getting things done in life because I want to, not being pressured by what anyone else thinks as much.

Pass Driving Test : I've been on and off with this for a pathetically long time, this year I actually want to get out there and pass it so I can get a car - eventually - which may or may not make life easier but it'll be freedom at least.

Be more helpful : I already am mostly or at least I try to be but I'm aware that I could always do a little more, this goes for home life, on the site and at work to an extent.

Watch more films/Play more games : Or more specifically watch those films/games which I know I really should have and that I've wanted to see/play but just never got around to for whatever reason, I started as I mean to go on by watching Citizen Kane last night, to which there seems to be only one valid response...

1233928590_citizen%20kane%20clapping.gif

: peace:

Move to a nicer place, save more money, tattoo, write and draw more, one decent holiday, form more meaningful connections with people.

I'd also like to be more healthy, particularly with my diet.

Well... a few of those things definitely happened. Bonus good stuff too. Enough for me to consider 2014 a reasonable success. Might have been one of my best.

2015's goals are exactly the same as 2014. I think those things are pretty much all I need every year of my life to be happy.

Except the moving thing. Staying where I am for now, even if the damn place is falling apart.

Edited by Guy

Well I failed that. 2014 - sort my shit out.

I achieved quite a bit in 2014, although 'Sort my shit out' is really vague I did get myself together some what. Happiest I've been in a long while.

For 2015 - I hope to improve job prospects and start saving to move out.

Sweet I didn't post any resolutions last year. So can say I did them all.

In fairness 2014 will be a tough one to top for me.

Got Married

Went to Mexico

Got a new cat

Got a new job

Went to Amsterdam

Got a new car

Went to Fuerteventura

2015 Resolutions.... hmmm

Pass my 6 month probation in new job

Go on more holidays

Complete more computer games

Get a fish tank and fish (yeah House is done now, I want fish)

Last year:

-Body fat 10%. I can do it!

Got to around 12% then started bulking again.

-125kg squat/Deadlift

Deadlift - yes!, Squat - no

-80kg Bench press

I'll complete this one this week or next!

-Play tennis at least 52 times

I stopped counting in April or May but then I was way ahead of schedule and easily average at least once a week. My tennis has improved considerably as a result

-Score a goal for my 11s team. Not shit out of headers and challenges.

I missed a sitter so I guess that's as close as I'll get

-Get a booking - because I'm massive pussy when it comes to tackling

I really should have got a booking for a challenge so almost a success

This year:

- 10% bodyfat by June 8th. Plan is made.

- Increase all lifts.

- Leave my job and work full time on my own business. Major plan in place for this. Hopefully by May.

Last year...

Finish my first draft by end of April.

Finished it in November. Honestly, April was unrealistic, but it was an aggressive deadline. I'm kind of amazed I finished it at all.

Find an artist.

If this was about the first draft of a comicbook...well, it turned into a novel so this became irrelevant.

Carry on freelance copywriting.

This happened but I think it finally died a death last month. I need a new job now.

Learn how to cross stitch.

Done.

Get 600 followers on Instagram by year's end (arbritrary and random).

Almost at 1000.

Bench 150kg. Don't know how realistic this is. I can bench 110kg at the moment.

On steroids maybe. My gym training changed. Aims changed. It's hard really pushing for higher weights without a gym partner. Got up to squatting 130kg, though.

Do more powerlifting in general. Maybe try aim to do a one max rep Squat of 200kg.

See above; fuck dat.

Go bouldering more.

Didn't happen.

Finish reading East of Eden.

Didn't happen.

I'm so uninspired now. My resolution might as well be to not break down and cry. I finished my first draft. 176 typed pages. And part of me is amazingly happy - and incredibly proud - but the rest of me is coming to terms with the fact I poured so much energy into that and neglected my 'career'. I don't really know what I'm doing at the gym any more, either. I've plateaued.

Resolutions for this year? I've got none.