NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
nekunando

Your 2014 Gaming Regrets

As the year comes to a close, it's probably fair to say that it wasn't a vintage year for gaming, despite a few stellar titles :heh:

I'm sure many of us are taking some time to reflect on the past 12 months and remembering the great experiences we had, whether it be jumping into the glorious Mario Kart 8 or embracing the next gen with PS4 or XBOX One. However, there have almost certainly been moments that perhaps won't be looked on so fondly, such as some unnecessary hostility towards fellow enthusiasts :indeed:

For me, most of my own personal regrets of 2014 stem from purchases of games that I maybe feel was a bit of a waste of money or completely unnecessary in the grand scheme of things. In recent weeks, despite previously outlining a desire to focus on the amazing games I already own, I downloaded a few titles that I don't feel like I want at this point :hmm:

Splinter Cell HD Trilogy ushered in a wave of PS3 downloads that included Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty HD and a raft of PS1 titles for use with PSP, generally consisting of games I either already own in original disc form or don't truly value. Metal Gear Solid on PS1 is a game I have cleared countless times, but the desire to have it in portable form meant I downloaded it.. only to later discover that the game is littered with constant audio problems when played on PSP. It completely ruined things and from that moment on, I appreciated how good a job Nintendo does with their own VC titles in order to get them to run perfectly :smile:

My most recent regrets are downloading Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D on sale on the 3DS and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, also on sale, on PS3. Neither are bad games, as such, but there was a reason I had passed up on The Mercenaries before when it was a similar price and that is the fact that I'd probably be better investing my time on the preferable Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition version, like I have in the past, or focus on trying out 'Raid Mode' in Revelations on 3DS, something I've never attempted. I simply don't need the game and the icon willl probably forever haunt me on the 3DS menu :indeed:

As for Vice City, that was bought within the last week during a time when I was looking at my PS2 and its collection of games with little to no entusiasm, even to the point where I was considering selling it. With that in mind, I was looking into the possibilty of downloading any PS2 games I might be interested in on PS3 or purchasing HD versions just so that I definitely wouldn't miss the console. However, the GTA experiment left me craving the opportunity to play it on the original console and there's now simply no way I want to sell the PS2.. especially when I know that trying to play the PS1 PaRappa the Rapper disc on PS3 is a nightmare :blank:

Anyway, what about you guys? Any 2014 gaming regrets? : peace:

Edited by nekunando

Pretty much the same as Magnus, but less dramatic. I wish I had more time to play games. Maybe I'll make more time next year...

2014 was a good year for me. It was spent mostly tying loose ends from this previous gen (Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros and Shin Megami Tensei IV were the only 2014 games I played) and falling in love with Atlus (as a developer).

Absolutely no regrets. Well, I do regret buying Smash Bros instead of Mario Kart but the game is so damned good that it really doesn't qualify. I've always just preferred Mario Kart and it stings a bit that I decided to go for Smash Bros.

I wish I hadn't bought Destiny. What a piece of shit that is!

That's how I'd have worded it.

That's how I'd have worded it.

Haha, it's not that bad. It's not a great game by any means but I've sank time into it because of gaming with the guys off here and had a blast doing so. The DLC though, that's just a rip-off!

Biggest regret was buying Thief over Wolfenstein on PS4. :blank:

Still yet to buy Wolfenstein despite them practically giving it away now. Was going to yesterday but opted for COD:AW and Last of us Remastered.

Another regret was buying 1 Amiibo, once you pop, you can't fucking stop. I now have all of wave one and two (with help from the rents over Christmas)

coming last in the mario kart league. that's it thread closed, nobody can have a bigger gaming regret than that this year

Buying kill zone. PLayed for 30 minutes, hated it. Buying alien at launch, £50, barely touched it, now £20. Buying destiny at launch, £50, barely touched it.

BIGGEST though is buying pokemon battle whatever it is, literally the worst non-game I've ever played.

Buying kill zone. PLayed for 30 minutes, hated it. Buying alien at launch, £50, barely touched it, now £20. Buying destiny at launch, £50, barely touched it.

BIGGEST though is buying pokemon battle whatever it is, literally the worst non-game I've ever played.

Ever thought about not buying games at launch that you won't play straughtaway?

Unless I'm playing a game straight away or unless it's a gift for somebody else, I won't buy any games at launch. Prices tend to drop quickly, so there's really no harm in waiting if you're not going straight at it.

I don't really have any gaming regrets, tbh. This year has been pretty great for me. If there's any game that does come close to being a regret, it's probably Mario Kart. It came out in the same week that I bought Tomb Raider for the PS4 (or close to then), so I hardly touched it. The game itself is fine but there's no real modes or anything to keep you coming back for more, aside from the online multiplayer. I loathe the battle mode. Even then, Ine's got a decent amount of time out of it with the League, so I guess it isn't too bad. I guess she owes me one, aha.

Oh absolutely, don't do it as much any more, just Nintendo games. MAYBE batman. I just wanted something great to play on my ps4 and alien seemed to be it, I just never really played it (though still looking forward to getting stuck in) and Destiny I forgot I preordered. Not anymore. Cutting down on gaming purchases generally as I have so many amazing games still to play.

Oh absolutely, don't do it as much any more, just Nintendo games. MAYBE batman. I just wanted something great to play on my ps4 and alien seemed to be it, I just never really played it (though still looking forward to getting stuck in) and Destiny I forgot I preordered. Not anymore. Cutting down on gaming purchases generally as I have so many amazing games still to play.

To be fair I have now got a huge backlog to get through that for 2015 i'm only going to pick up the Nintendo ones and other AAA titles. The others can wait until I have nothing to do.

Buying a Wii U + Smash.

Worst gaming decision I've ever made.

Hope 2015 will give me at least one Wii U game I'll enjoy.

Danganronpa. Did I buy that last year? What a pile of shit.

My opinion on DanganRonpa couldn't be further from yours. One of the few games I couldn't put down last year and the sequel is winning a few best of 2014 accolades on Vita.

My only regret is the PS3 games I bought I haven't even gotten out of the cellophane, Atelier Escher and Logy to be more specific, I haven't even finished Ayesha once before I bought it. I also felt disappointed in Fairy Fencer F, when Idea Factory fixed and Polished the Neptunia games, they only had to go backwards when taking the gameplay to a new IP. Why am I restricted to single strike regular attacks for so long? The boss fights have been way too easy as well despite my first gripe. Maybe I need to give it more time, but with a shiny new PS4 arriving tomorrow I don't see that happening for a while. Tsunako's character art is the games only real saving grace for me right now.

My opinion on DanganRonpa couldn't be further from yours. One of the few games I couldn't put down last year and the sequel is winning a few best of 2014 accolades on Vita.

I havent got around to finishing Danganronpa yet but I did really enjoy what I played of it. Just pissed off at the moment that its not on the PSTV whitelist for Europe despite being on the Japanese and US one :(

As for my biggest gaming regret of 2014, mine is definitely buying an Xbox One. I think its a terrible machine and have barely touched it since.

I havent got around to finishing Danganronpa yet but I did really enjoy what I played of it. Just pissed off at the moment that its not on the PSTV whitelist for Europe despite being on the Japanese and US one :(

That is a shame, but it's good to know sequel is though, will probably continue playing it when I get one. I wanna enjoy it on the big screen.

I agree with @Shorty on Danganronpa. One of the most overrated games of the year for sure. Though I actually warned him that the game wasn't very good before he started playing it, so I don't feel too sorry for him. :p

Looking back through my activity logs...

Nope, no regrets. Not gaming related anyway.

Buying Pokémon AGAIN (X) despite being burnt out on it for years. I thought maybe the improved graphics could rope me back in but I gave up shortly after gym 3. Its just so dull.

Got my friend and brother badgering me to get Omega Ruby now... Not gonna happen :p

I wish I hadn't bought the Destiny DLC. What a rip-off that is!

If that's your regret then buying Destiny is probably where you fucked up there.

Sign in to follow this