NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Badge Arcade (eShop)

Cool new 3DS title that came today in Japan

Free to play, but you can pay to get extra turns. It allows for you to win various badges to customise your themes which then can be shared on Miiverse or with the Home Screen screenshot picture.

You can also get new themed icons to replace standard ones such as Mii Plaza, Camera etc.

Edited by Serebii

Saw this earlier and got absolutely terrified at the thought of how much my sister would spend on it... She LOVES Crane Grabber machines like something FIERCE!

It's a bit more "evil" in its design than I would expect from Nintendo, but it still looks pretty cool - especially since the prizes you can win from it would otherwise actually be put up for sale on the 3DS Menu Theme Shop!

Also looks like it has that typical Nintendo charm that we know and love (those bloody Salesbunnies are back to steal your cash :laughing:)

I want it and I want it now. Surely in time for Xmas when all those people open up their Xmas presents with a 3DS inside!?

So Nintendo has entered the freemium race? Guess it shows they listen to their investors at least!

So Nintendo has entered the freemium race? Guess it shows they listen to their investors at least!

You realise this isn't their first foray into F2P, right?

This is their 3rd freemium game actually. After Steel Diver Sub Wars and Rusty's Real Deal Baseball.

This one is a bit less experimental in its design than those two games, but they're all absolutely in the same category.

It is still pretty generous though. 5 free goes every day, ways to win extra goes in game without any extra payment, no consumable purchases (everything being stuff you keep forever that isn't used up), and even giving out stuff that would otherwise have monitory value if released normally.

Can't really complain about the design here. It also has a finite amount you can realistically spend as well since there's only so much stuff you can actually win.

Edited by Dcubed

You realise this isn't their first foray into F2P, right?

Yes, that's why I phrased it in such a way that it was clear I wasn't aware of this. Thanks.

Cheers DCubed!

Well, I'm not gonna spend a penny on this. But I will probably end up playing it every day. The artist in me can't not have customisation.

The moment they add Pokémon stuff...I am well and truly screwed.

a year from then you'll be in a rehab clinic a shell of your former self, twitching and sullen eyed telling how you performed degrading acts just for another fix of pokemon badges

I really like all the customisation stuff they are doing for the 3DS with the various downloadable themes and now this. I hope they start doing similar things like this for the Wii U, maybe tie it into Amiibo's and have different characters unlock different themes.

That rabbit is way too cute and well animated, it will take all my money.

All the customisation for the 3DS is really cool! I'm sure alot of people will use this feature! Now all we need is a way to make our own themes :)

Just announced for Europe

Owners of Nintendo 3DS family systems can already customise their system’s HOME Menu with a range of colourful themes, and they’ll soon be able to take that personalisation to a whole new level with Nintendo Badge Arcade, coming to Nintendo eShop as a free download* from 13th November.

In this lively arcade run by a chatty rabbit, players can take a shot at crane games and similar classic amusements, collecting badges based on Nintendo games and series like Mario Kart, Splatoon and Animal Crossing. Badges can be used to decorate the HOME Menu, with some even usable instead of the standard system icons that access, among others, Nintendo eShop and StreetPass Mii Plaza – perfect for total HOME Menu makeovers.

Every day, visitors to the arcade get five free plays on a practice machine: it only offers dummy badges, but with skill and a little bit of luck, players can win free plays for the machines packed with real badges. Plays can also be bought at a price of £0.90 / €1.00 for five plays**.

Players can show off their unique HOME Menu designs via Miiverse, and check out other creators’ designs for inspiration. There’ll be plenty to discover in the weeks and months following launch too, as the badges and machines on offer will change regularly, opening up even more customisation possibilities.

So whether you’re creating a Mario Kart-style starting grid or adding a splat of colour with the Splatoon badges, there’ll be plenty of new ways to liven up your Nintendo 3DS family system’s HOME Menu when Nintendo Badge Arcade launches in Nintendo eShop on 13th November.

The moment they add Pokémon stuff...I am well and truly screwed.

Yeah... http://www.serebii.net/games/badge/ ;;

Edited by Serebii

Great idea, I'll definitely pick this up. With amiibo and freemium it seems like they're going for added value than the usual stuff from competitors.

About time, was worried we wouldn't get it at all.

You don't actually need to get/buy them all though..?

I do for my section. Have to get good imagery of them, see if they're multi-badge badges etc.

I do for my section. Have to get good imagery of them, see if they're multi-badge badges etc.

Multi-badge badges, not sure I ever got one of them?

Ahh, so many badges to buy, so much coin will be spent...

latest?cb=20120603202149

You like badgessssss yessssss? First hit'sssssss free yesssssss...

Multi-badge badges, not sure I ever got one of them?

Things like Bowser, Drifloon & Joltik, Pirate Wario etc. are badges that are actually 2 or 4 badges large and have to be pieced together because they're so large.

So weirdly happy about this, been slightly jealous about the Japanese version for a while, great news, can't wait to try it out. Think the model seems great too. Free stuff, pay a little more if you want but not real need, perfect.

So weirdly happy about this, been slightly jealous about the Japanese version for a while, great news, can't wait to try it out. Think the model seems great too. Free stuff, pay a little more if you want but not real need, perfect.

To be fair, if you want all the badges, you're going to have to pay. The free goes only go so far.