NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Street Fighter V ( PS4 & PC Exclusive )

I think there's more to it than that though. Is there any real threat of the Xbone stealing away the Fighting game market? Yeah it has Killer Instinct, but PS4 is still by far the most popular console and is getting multi platform releases of every single major fighting game series (as well as Guilty Gear Xrd, which is exclusive to PS3/PS4).

To buy SF5 as an exclusive just feels so unnecessary. It's a move that would make sense for Microsoft to do, not Sony. They're already the runaway winner and already have almost every single relevant traditional fighting game series under their belt, so why bother spending more money on something that will bring about minimal benefit to you?

And you think it made financial sense the other way around?

Microsoft must have dropped more money than they will make back through sales of the Tomb Raider game directly because there's no way S-E would have done the deal to cut out what would by far be the best outlet for its game unless Microsoft gave them a small fortune.

Ain't about the money they're getting back...from the game itself. It's all about making the console seem even more desirable by having a bigger portfolio of games you can't play anywhere else to get people to buy their console instead.

I think there's more to it than that though. Is there any real threat of the Xbone stealing away the Fighting game market? Yeah it has Killer Instinct, but PS4 is still by far the most popular console and is getting multi platform releases of every single major fighting game series (as well as Guilty Gear Xrd, which is exclusive to PS3/PS4).

To buy SF5 as an exclusive just feels so unnecessary. It's a move that would make sense for Microsoft to do, not Sony. They're already the runaway winner and already have almost every single relevant traditional fighting game series under their belt, so why bother spending more money on something that will bring about minimal benefit to you?

Because why get complacent? Why let Microsoft make any kind of inroads? Of course Sony didn't need it - for the various reasons you mentioned - but it was undoubtedly a weakness in their line-up of exclusives, and now it isn't.

Above is all speculation on my part, but what I know for certain is that Sony identified fighting games as an exclusive they did not have in their portfolio.

Not doing anything is the kind of thinking that led to Nintendo shitting up the second half of the Wii's life and undoubtedly contributed to the Wii U's dire situation now. It's why Nintendo have a dearth of certain genres. People accused Sony of being arrogant back in the days of the PS3, well this is the opposite of arrogance; Sony know they can't give Microsoft an inch - they already picked up a game to market against Uncharted 4.

And we don't know the details of the deal. We don't know how much money Sony spent - if they spent any at all. They might simply be covering marketing costs. They could even be part-paying for development. Capcom might simply be attracted to the most popular console pushing their title at the forefront of all their marketing. So saying they bought SFV is just as inaccurate as saying Microsoft bought Tomb Raider - although Microsoft would appear to be the less tempting option at the moment so you have to suspect they'd offer up more (Also, they do shit like buy Minecraft for £6 BILLION).

Will the first release be made obsolete by future updates, or will Capcom be sensible and release all updates as DLC this time?

Will the first release be made obsolete by future updates, or will Capcom be sensible and release all updates as DLC this time?

Capcom will find a way to release Street Fighter V: Five Harder and DLC.

That's how they roll.

This will be the first Street Fighter that I'll have owned since SFII. Very happy that this is coming to PS4.

(not going to go into the whole exclusivity argument as that's a can of worms. I'm just happy it's coming to a console that I own.)

There should be more info at the show. Persona 5 also confirmed.

And you think it made financial sense the other way around?

Microsoft must have dropped more money than they will make back through sales of the Tomb Raider game directly because there's no way S-E would have done the deal to cut out what would by far be the best outlet for its game unless Microsoft gave them a small fortune.

The problem with the whole Tomb raider thing is it was already announced for everything. Its not quite the icon as Sf4 is in its genre. Plus its a cross gen game. Maybe its just a small deal?

Ain't about the money they're getting back...from the game itself. It's all about making the console seem even more desirable by having a bigger portfolio of games you can't play anywhere else to get people to buy their console instead.

The PS4 has about 50% more releases in general. Automatic exclusives. Its only the biggest publishers that seem to be giving equal support to the bone (whose games will get stocked at your local supermarket/Game/HMV).

Edited by Choze

SF5 is cross play PC and PS4 online. Both will share patches and updates.

Ultra SF4 releasing in spring 2015 for PS4 with all dlc etc. on disk. No idea if there is a last gen update etc.

Cross play across is a great move and probably something MS wouldn't be keen on.

Here is the gameplay footage from Playstation Experience earlier on showing some of the new gameplay features to be added this time.

Can't wait to see more next weekend.

Boxart already.

So the first live demonstration of the game will take place tonight (tomorrow morning) as part of the Capcom Cup which has already begun with exhibition matches of Omega Mode in USFIV and is about to commence the Finals. I believe it's due to take place at the end during the special annoucements section which is 03:15GMT

Watch it here.

Just saw this article on IGN...

Capcom has announced that the first version of Street Fighter 5 you buy will be the last one you will ever have to purchase for the lifetime of the game, as all future content for it will be available digitally, and will be either earnable in-game, or free.

Great news, the game will never become obsolete by an updated version.

This looks great, I didn't own SF4 long before my 360 red-ringed and packed in so I'm looking forward to digging into this one and getting some decent game-time out of it.

Eurogamer - "Street Fighter 5 beta returns today"

The PlayStation 4 Street Fighter 5 beta comes back online today.

Capcom plans a series of region-specific stress tests for the fighting game. The first begins in Europe today, from 4pm UK time to midnight. There's another tomorrow, Friday 21st August, again from 4pm to midnight.

The results from these tests will determine the dates and times for North America and Asia tests, Capcom said.

These region-specific stress tests are in addition to the promised five days of beta time.

The Street Fighter 5 beta first launched last month but failed to work properly. Capcom pulled the plug and apologised.

Today, Capcom warned that while it expects this week's regional test to be "a smoother experience", there may still be issues.

[...]

Your Street Fighter 5 beta will still work, so you don't need another code. But you need to make sure you've installed the latest patch.

Had 6 games of this last night (won all 6!) and loved it.

Hate having to wait until next year for this :(

Forgot it was yesterday. I played earlier and it it was great. You can tell its early though. But everyone likes the direction so far. Its shaping up better than SF4 online going by the beta alone.

The Capcom Fighters Network (CFN) is a community building tool that will be directly built into the online infrastructure of Street Fighter V.

Here is a list of some of the things that you’ll be able to do in-game via CFN:

See where battles are happening all over the world on a “heat map”

View player profiles and detailed match statistics

Designate “rivals” throughout the world and monitor their performance

Register friends and follow your favorite players

Search and watch replay files

Send online battle invitations

Check out the latest patch and tournament news

And much more!

We’ll have more concrete details on all the various CFN features at a later date, but just to whet your appetite, here are some work-in-progress screenshots. The main CFN screen shows the “heat map” and will look something like this:

Each blinking light on the world map represents a pocket of active users that are engaged in online battles. With the heat map, you’ll be able see where all the action is taking place and even be able to drill down to the individual players who are fighting, in order to check out their profile information, past match history, replays, and even send them a fight request.

As Street Fighter V will be at the forefront of our eSports activities upon release, we wanted to make sure that players had access to all the statistical data possible to help analyze their weaknesses and improve their game.

The game tracks not only online win/loss records, but fine detail stats such as “how many light punches did you land,” “how many throws did you tech,” “in what ways did you win the match,” and much, much more. We are confident that players will appreciate this new knowledge and use it to push themselves to the next level and rise above the competition.

20857329613_4c5076144xus6b.jpg

21467394022_542f9a29d65sh0.jpg

Sounds/looks pretty cool.

February 16th release date for this.

I'm...very happy with that. Didn't expect to get it until much later. :D

I'm really surprised that there seems to be no hype around this. Is the interest in this series on the decline? What's the issue?

I'm really surprised that there seems to be no hype around this. Is the interest in this series on the decline? What's the issue?

Since owning a PS4 it's just been the case of...too...many...games! :D

There's plenty of hype about the game on other forums, it's just this place that's dead.

A story expansion was announced yesterday and will be available to download this Summer for free.