NEurope
Sprout

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U Online Meet Up Thread

I was just using random for the custom fighters, it's nice to be surprised. :heh:

How come whenever I got one that started with an item though (in the practice area) they no longer had it in the actual fight? ::shrug:

Anyway, good games as always.

: peace:

I was just using random for the custom fighters, it's nice to be surprised. :heh:

How come whenever I got one that started with an item though (in the practice area) they no longer had it in the actual fight? ::shrug:

Anyway, good games as always.

: peace:

Hmmm... Intriguing, maybe it was because that item might have been turned off?

We did have a lot of nutso setups after all.

Low launch high frequency explosives works surprisingly well! I enjoyed that one a lot.

Hmmm... Intriguing, maybe it was because that item might have been turned off?

We did have a lot of nutso setups after all.

Ah yeah, that's probably it.

I don't have many custom fighters with equipment on, so aside from maybe the Mii Fighters, any Vampire Badges were sheer coincidence from the random setting. Not that it helped any, since fluctuating launch rates effectively made recovery a moot point.

Anyway, it was fun. Also, either K.K.Slider is performing outside of Saturdays, or somebody needs to change his Wii U's Date and Time settings. =P

To be honest I find when the launch rate is low and matches take forever it's kinda boring, but maybe that's just me.

Good games earlier @Sprout. Spontaneous Smash FTW. :hehe:

We should get an N-E Tourney going at some point. Who'd be up for it?

I'd try, but I wouldn't have m/any badges n' shit because I don't really play the game.

Good games earlier @Sprout. Spontaneous Smash FTW. :hehe:

Noticed you mentioned you started one in the thread - I could give a few hours one night but not until at least next week or so; or maybe just a quick 30 or so more often if at least someone was around?

Noticed you mentioned you started one in the thread - I could give a few hours one night but not until at least next week or so; or maybe just a quick 30 or so more often if at least someone was around?
The tourney I made runs until Saturday, but unfortunately not many people joined so finding a game ain't easy. I've only managed to play one match in it so far. :hmm:

It's a shame the regular style tourneys can't be user created, as that probably would've worked better for an N-E tourney.

The tourney I made runs until Saturday, but unfortunately not many people joined so finding a game ain't easy. I've only managed to play one match in it so far. :hmm:

It's a shame the regular style tourneys can't be user created, as that probably would've worked better for an N-E tourney.

Regular style in what sense? We all play brackets and go through to matchups or so?

I'd still def be up for one next week, just I'm working til 9pm tonight and tomorrow, Splatooning thursday(and probs Sunday due to Splatfest) with a wedding on Saturday so I just cannot find any time! Maybe if I get a bit on Friday eve I could have a match or two with folks? Though if no one's entered it isn't really worth too much to us all...

Tournament definitely gets me a bit more interested in playing, though. Will need to go in and look at it all then might try to help organise something myself.

Regular style in what sense? We all play brackets and go through to matchups or so?
Yeah.

Unfortunately that type of tourney can't be created though, and looks like they can only be played with random players too.

I guess the best thing to do would be arrange a day/time on here first (whenever most people can play) and then someone create a tournament that's limited to an hour or a certain amount of games. ::shrug:

Okay! Firstly, late response, but I had fun the other day, @RedShell. I think the Pikachu match was my favourite. Lay dem match GIFS on me, I can take it now. =P I'm also grumpy though because I didn't get to record my replays before the patch hit, so they're all gone...

As for using Tourney Mode, after giving it a look over the weekend... it's hard to call, but there are drawbacks.

• Players can't choose whether matches are 1v1, free-for-alls or team battles. You can only have free-for-alls (the amount of players chosen depending on how successful the search for players is).
  • To my knowledge, only one person per Wii U console can take part. That means people who share a console won't be able to both compete, which is a bit of a deal breaker for some n-e members.
  • The majority of "win conditions" basically comes down to who has the most time to play. You can limit the amount of total matches a player can take part in, but this has it's own problems. Players could use all their matches playing against the same opponent/s, or a player could join but have nobody to play with because everybody else has played all of their matches.
  • There is no way to monitor who is actively in the tournament at the time. Furthermore, given how active both Smash topics are, the amount of participants would likely be quite low, so players would probably be required to arrange their matches here... and if that's the case, then we may as well just arrange a tourney on n-e by ourselves.

I'm not sure if using it for a "proper tourney/league" is the best idea, but it could be used somewhat effectively as a convenient meet up spot to play without needing to exchange friend codes and have multiple people host rooms, though we would still require some organisation on here to pull it off. Someone could create a Tourney at a set date that runs for, say, an hour. This tournament would be created about a week in advance with a password that will be shared on the forum (you could make it a friends only tourney instead, but that would require players to be friends with the tourney host). Players could join the tourney in the game (and can forfeit whenever they like beforehand if they can't make it any more), in addition to declaring themselves "IN" in the thread. Players could come online a few minutes before the tourney starts, and fight to get the most points or wins or whatever once it opens. This is basically a long version of what RedShell's last post said, because why write something as a sentence when you can write it as a convoluted paragraph!

Doing it this way will make theme nights run more smoothly compared to several players opening rooms, adding each other on friend lists, etc., and the idea of not knowing who you're going up against each match could be exciting. But you're limited to free-for-alls, no 1v1s or team battles. Furthermore, if we don't get many members to sign up, players are probably going to get matched against the same people a lot (and even with many players, there will likely be times where some players are left hanging in the waiting room for lengthy periods of time, which of course is no fun). And again, I'm not sure we can ignore those who share a Wii U but both want to take part if the occasion arises... That said, nothing stopping people from playing outside these meet ups, especially if it isn't a proper league that keeps track of scores and such.

What's most important though is getting members to play in the first place! Considering we can barely get enough people to play a four player game in this thread most of the time, and the super response so far, I think we'd have our work cut out for us. =P

I haven't tried making a Tourney myself yet, but I was considering making a public one where people could try out the DLC stages without buying them. Perhaps if we could get members interested, it could serve as a trial run for the above method instead? I could also perhaps cut out Suzaku Castle and add Kongo Jungle 64 (and maybe Battlefield and Final Destination) to make it an N64 themed tourney. This post was faaarrr too long...

Anyone still playing?

my new friend code:

4528-1890-3328

My Cloud and Charizard be waiting, son.