NEurope
nekunando

The best games you'll never play again!

I've been thinking of creating this thread for about a month now after a post made by @Fused King in the What's the worst game you own? thread.

In it, he proclaimed Paper Mario: Sticker Star as the worst game he owns and, quite fairly, justifies his reasons for doing so when questioned. Many will echo his sentiments whilst others will consider it to be ridiculous that such a game be regarded in this way.

Personally, I found the game to be rather fun.. for the most part. I'm glad I played it, but there were aspects to it that left me feeling cold and apathetic by the end, mainly the final boss battle :hmm:

pmssguide251.png

I remember making the following post about the game in the appropriate thread last year:

I finished Paper Mario: Sticker Star this morning and it was.. decent :heh: It was certainly frustrating at times, particularly the final boss where I got to the final part of it only to run out of stickers and had to accept defeat. Following that, I went around and gathered a powerful selection of stickers to make sure that I took Bowser down at the second time of asking :smile:

It's not really a game I can see myself playing again, though I did enjoy hearing this tune during the final battle..

:grin:

I hadn't really touched the game much since Christmas but put plenty of time into it over the last week or so as I kinda wanted it done before Luigi's Mansion 2 arrives!

The bit that stuck with me in that post was 'It's not really a game I can see myself playing again' and I still stand by those feelings. It does make me wonder if there are others on here that have enjoyed certain games over the years but wouldn't want to touch them again..? ::shrug:

If I take a look at my collection, I'm sure there are probably a few others that will fit into that category.. perhaps Hotel Dusk: Room 215, off the top of my head :heh:

What about you guys? :smile:

So many. A game has to be pretty short and tight for me to find it replayable. There are several 2D platformers that I play again and again, but not so much with 3D games.

You mention Paper Mario: Sticker Star, but I don't think I'd even replay Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door. It was a great game, but I just don't think I'd have any more time for it. The ultimate RPG I can't justify replaying, though, is Dragon Quest IX, and that is seriously one of my all-time favourites. It's just that I spent an obscene amount of time on it and did everything I wanted to.

It's not that I never replay RPGs. I've played Dragon Quest VIII two or three times, and could easily see myself playing any remakes of IV, V or VI. I also play the remakes of Etrian Odyssey and wouldn't mind another bash at Final Fantasy XII, funnily enough. It's just that, for a replay, I have to particularly love the atmosphere and graphics/music/gameplay.

As for non-RPGs, there are series where a newer version pretty much supercedes the older ones; even really good, non-yearly games. Pikmin 2 was a lot of work, for instance, and so I can't really see myself wanting to play that again.

Pilotwings Resort was great but, considering it was such a test of skill, only really something to do once.

I could go on and on!

Off the top of my head, only Pokémon Blue & Silver.

It's really not the same thing now as it was back in the day.

3D N64 games I'd say. They were brilliant at the time and still are but I don't think I could look at the graphics today. They haven't aged well at all.

3D N64 games I'd say. They were brilliant at the time and still are but I don't think I could look at the graphics today. They haven't aged well at all.

For once, I totally agree with you.

I regularly replay SNES, NES, GC and Wii games. But I find replaying N64 games rather problematic as the frame rates just aren't up to what they need to be.

It's not like PS1 and Saturn games, which were generally quite awful looking, but more a performance issue. Whilst N64 games looked better, despite a few blurry textures and blocky character models, some of the frame rate drops were awful.

The other big problem with the N64 is that the sticks on the pads don't hold up as well as you need them too.

Sad really, as the N64 era had so many classics and I really loved that generation. I thought the Nintendo exclusives in that era were magnificent and of course RARE were at their peak too.

The Last of Us was critically acclaimed but it's a game I'll not touch again as I found it to be way to repetitive and the controls/character movement felt a bit loose and floaty... it didn't feel right playing it.

A good story but not a well polished game.

Gears of War 1 & 2 and Bioshock. The first time I ever experienced the "one and done" syndrome.

They were good experiences all round, but I tried playing through them again and I simply just didn't enjoy them at all.

I'm the type of person who constantly goes back and replays old favourites (and I still do! I'm currently replaying Fire Emblem GBA, Golden Sun, Mario Golf Advance Tour and recently I beat Bayonetta again), but those games were really strange. I wouldn't describe them as bad, because they're not at all, but they had absolutely zero replayability for me. I can even go back through the Ace Attorney games again and still enjoy them just as much as the first time through, but those three? No, never again.

It's thanks to those three games that I now really understand the term "disposable games". A game that is "disposable" isn't even necessarily a bad game, it's just one that is designed to only provide one worthwhile play through and then get traded in for something else.

The only game that comes to my mind is ONI which i would play when i was a kid. It was one of the best game that i played then. Don't think i can pull myself to play it again.

There's loads of games I would put in this catagory.

But one that's quite recent would be Bayonetta 1, and for just one reason.

That reason is Bayonetta 2. It's such a fantastic sequel that it kinda makes the original seem unappealing to play again.

I loved it, it was tremendous fun. But the sequel is even more fun.

LA Noire.

Just because I played it to completion and redid the cases several times and I could tell you what happens in every one virtually. :heh:

One of my favourite all time gaming experiences. But I wouldn't pick it up and play it again. Mainly for fear of it not living up to the memory, though I doubt that right now as it isn't that old yet. But yeah, incredible game.

LA Noire.

Just because I played it to completion and redid the cases several times and I could tell you what happens in every one virtually. :heh:

One of my favourite all time gaming experiences. But I wouldn't pick it up and play it again. Mainly for fear of it not living up to the memory, though I doubt that right now as it isn't that old yet. But yeah, incredible game.

That was one of them "play once" games. In my opinion, didn't really live up to the hype. Don't get me wrong, the facial features of the game was interesting and was something the game relied upon.

For me, I guess one game i'll never play again, even though it was brilliant, is Red Dead Redemption. Fantastic game, loved every minute of it. But after the ending, I can't play it again.

A few...

WindWaker.

That final Triforce quest just killed it for me.

Also, the stealth pirate dungeon was testing. Loved it in the end but damn was it trying at times.

Beyond Good & Evil.

Loved the GC version - no, ADORED it. It got me through a tough time in my life too. Bought the HD remake on the PS3 and got bored half way through. Mainly because I knew what was happening and the intro segments are my favourite.

Luigi's Mansion 2

I keep going back to it...but. Just...can't...finish it. It keeps pulling you out at each moment which is good for a handheld approach but totally ruins the immersion. Gorgeous but frustrating.

Majoras Mask

Loved it, played it to death upon release. Was one of my favourite all-time games. I burnt out on it.

The remake appeals but then again, I know the game so well that I won't double dip. Still have the N64 original anyway.

Every FIFA/PES apart from PES6.

Every year they get incrementally better. Resulting in me not playing the year before. The only exception is that none of them best PES6 (to me). It's the only reason I still have a PS2 with component cables.

Every FIFA/PES apart from PES6.

Every year they get incrementally better. Resulting in me not playing the year before. The only exception is that none of them best PES6 (to me). It's the only reason I still have a PS2 with component cables.

Haha.. it's probably one of the only reasons I haven't sold my PS2. PES 6 has a special quality about it that still has the potential to provide amazing multiplayer sessions : peace: Having said that, I've been starting to find it too difficult to keep it relatively up to date over recent years that I'm starting to sort of get over the draw of it over current football games. I'm more than happy to play the latest Pro Evolution Soccer on PS3 with my brother as, from what little I've played of it, it seems pretty awesome :smile:

Regarding the PS2, I'll probably never play through Devil May Cry again. My lack of desire to play through the rest of Devil May Cry 2 or 3 suggests to me that I've grown tired of it, much like Castlevania, in a way. I just can't get into Symphony of the Night :sad:

I just finished A Link to the Past on Wii Virtual Console for the first time ever this morning and while I can appreciate that it's a very good game and is very impressive for the time it was originally released, I'm not convinced I'll ever be through it again.. but I could be wrong :heh:

I found it to be pretty frustrating at times and having to repeat sections of tricky dungeons repeatedly was definitely irritating :hmm: I died 121 times throughout, which is probably embarrassing, but when you compare it it to 1 solitary, unnecessary death in A Link Between Worlds, it proves just much harder the game actually is :eek:

I also cleared Banjo Tooie 100% a few weeks ago having finally got around to it after owning it for 5 or 6 years. It sort of won me over a little in the end, having initially hated it in comparison to Banjo Kazooie, but unlike the original, I don't see myself ever botehred with it again. It was probably too big and too unrewarding for too long!