NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
drahkon

The Binding Of Isaac: Rebirth (PC/PS4/PSVita)

Rebirth-Logo.jpg

Shame there hasn't been a thread until now...

Currently a free game for PS+ subscribers (cross buy! cross save!). Also available on Steam (and I think it will be released on WiiU/3DS in the future).

People need to play this. You people need to play this. Please play this.

It's a dungeon crawler with randomly generated dungeons (i.e. layout, enemies, items you get).

Have spent a lot of time with this in short (now they're rather long as the story - kind of - progresses) sessions. It's one of those "just one more run"-games. : peace:

I have the original, but haven't played it yet. What are the significant differences, exactly?

I have the original, but haven't played it yet. What are the significant differences, exactly?

More items, more characters, more bosses, more areas, more fun :p

More items, more characters, more bosses, more areas, more fun :p

I'll play the original first before considering this, then :heh:

I'd say people should be playing this and give it some time to get into it. I hated the original originally as I couldn't see past the gross aesthetics but the gameplay is top notch and very nuanced and the items just make every run different and unique and ridiculous. I want to buy rebirth but so much other stuff on the go will get it in the new year instead.

This is gaming crack. Pure excellence. :bowdown: And it was free for PS+ members. :awesome:

I'm doing several runs per day, it's soooo good.

I recommend to give this game a try. NOW!

Even if you've got a lot to play...runs take from 20 minutes (in the beginning) to 1 hour. : peace: One run per day is doable :p

I really didn't enjoy this when I tried it. Downloaded it as part of the Free PS+ game, but really didn't enjoy the time on it. Granted I think I died twice within 10 minutes play and quit straight after that.

Just didn't seem fun at all.

Maybe I'll give it another go, but not overly fussed about it.

Granted I think I died twice within 10 minutes play and quit straight after that.

Well, the game opens up when you understand more and more of its mechanics. This, however, may take at least an hour (and only then have you seen a fraction of what the game is really about).

If you don't fancy doing something like this...well, The Binding of Isaac is not for you :p

This is gaming crack. Pure excellence. :bowdown: And it was free for PS+ members. :awesome:

I'm doing several runs per day, it's soooo good.

I recommend to give this game a try. NOW!

Even if you've got a lot to play...runs take from 20 minutes (in the beginning) to 1 hour. : peace: One run per day is doable :p

I have, indeed, been playing the original+DLC (Considering this game is a remake, only a very, very low price would make me get it, now)

I will say, though, that this is the game that finally made me like Roguelikes. Never saw the appeal, until this game. And frustrating as the difficulty can get (goddammit, Samson, you suck, but I need to beat the game at least once with you!), it's always pretty satisfying, as long as you accept that you can't "redo" a level.

So yeah, it has that going for it. It's a really well made game, despite all the blasphemous grossness :heh:

I really didn't enjoy this when I tried it. Downloaded it as part of the Free PS+ game, but really didn't enjoy the time on it. Granted I think I died twice within 10 minutes play and quit straight after that.

Just didn't seem fun at all.

Maybe I'll give it another go, but not overly fussed about it.

It's a Roguelike, so it's only natural. The genre really needs to "click" before we figure out how to enjoy it.

I have, indeed, been playing the original+DLC (Considering this game is a remake, only a very, very low price would make me get it, now)

I will say, though, that this is the game that finally made me like Roguelikes. Never saw the appeal, until this game. And frustrating as the difficulty can get (goddammit, Samson, you suck, but I need to beat the game at least once with you!), it's always pretty satisfying, as long as you accept that you can't "redo" a level.

So yeah, it has that going for it. It's a really well made game, despite all the blasphemous grossness :heh:

It's a Roguelike, so it's only natural. The genre really needs to "click" before we figure out how to enjoy it.

This is the game that made me like Rogue-likes as well despite hating the aesthetic originally. It's also perhaps the only one I've ever beaten.

I've been following Edmund since he was making comics, 100% completed the original so was of course looking to rebirth. The game is an improvement in performance and size over the original, I don't prefer the pixel style over the vector graphics but added background details like worms are nice touch for me the fun come from the difficult challenge.

I'm playing it on PC/Laptop currently but would like to switch to 3DS when it comes out but without achievements I feel I would loose some motivation to 100% it.

I've been following Edmund since he was making comics, 100% completed the original so was of course looking to rebirth. The game is an improvement in performance and size over the original, I don't prefer the pixel style over the vector graphics but added background details like worms are nice touch for me the fun come from the difficult challenge.

I'm playing it on PC/Laptop currently but would like to switch to 3DS when it comes out but without achievements I feel I would loose some motivation to 100% it.

Yeah that's one thing I'm really not a fan of...but it does make it look more like a "videogame" and not "just" a flash game. Something about the style of the original screams flash even though it wasn't

I've done the hardest thing in the game:

Beaten everything (Dark Room/Chest/Boss Rush) with The Lost, who dies at one hit and can't have health upgrades.

However, the PS4 version is glitched so I didn't get the item reward and trophy :shakehead

Fuck this shit.

Anyway, the expansion Afterbirth has been announced.

The game expansion will be called Afterbirth.it will come out sometime this year (hopefully around the middle)

this expansion will feature:

- 100+ new items

- a full new game mode that will totally change how you play

- 10 new challenges

- a new playable character

- a new alternate final chapter

- new alt floors

- new game endings

- new final bosses

- tons of new bosses and enemies

- new item pickups, cards, pills, etc.

- tons of new achievements and rewards for beating the game on hard

- new co-op babies

- new transformations

- and more… :|

you could almost get lost in all that new content!it should easily extend the gameplay time by another 100-200 hours…

last update i asked for you guys to give me some awesome challenges for the DLC via reddit, here are the top 9 challenge suggestions you all posted.

keep in mind that not all of these challenges will make it into the DLC, and if they do they might not be designed as described.

1. a XXXL room challenge: all floors are XL but have the max amount of rooms per XL floor.

2. High Speed!: the game plays at x2 speed

3. Sonic: all doors are arcade doors, start with 99 coins all enemies have greed shot effect (cause you to drop/loose coins) you die at 0 coins.

4. Max hearts : a challenge where you start with max heart containers but hearts no longer drop.

5. High Rule: start with moms knife + trinity shield + boomerang

6. Rollers: each time you complete a room all of your items and stats are rerolled (item pools arent depleted)

7. BRAINS! : start with 3-4 bobs brains, blindfolded (no tears)

8. Blue Bomber: blue baby run with kamikaze + flying + new dlc item + pyromaniac, Blindfolded (no tears)

9. all start boss rush: a challenge where you fight all the games bosses

Source

Cannot fucking wait :bowdown:

Amazing bonus video:

Made some huge progress towards the Platinum : peace:

Need 4 more secrets, which are glitched. Patch is supposed to be on its way.

And I only need 5 more items (one of which is not unlocked, even though I met the requirements...soooo, gimme dat patch plz).

Couple of glitched out trophies needed, too. :blank:

Can't believe how awesome this game is. Will gladly throw my money at the screen for the expansion. :bowdown:

Aprox. two hours ago I posted the following in the Wii U BoIR thread:

I'm only missing ONE item to get the Platinum trophy. But this might take a loooong time :laughing:

RTYpqQS.jpg

110%. Now stop playing :laughing:

LBbT4wp.jpg

YES. The final item I needed. :yay:

jesCWUl.jpg

Another golden trophy. 111%. Now stop playing...again :D

KTkuWVj.jpg

So rewarding : peace:

RPOPeqP.jpg

I'm a Real Platinum God now. Something to put on my résumé. :laughing:

All the trophies done, however a couple of hardmode wins with certain characters are missing For total completion I will definitely do them :)

And even after this I will continue playing.

Binding of Isaac Rebirth + Spotify = God tier gaming. :)

And Binding of Isaac Rebirth on Vita = God tier portable gaming :awesome:

I'm talking to myself here :laughing:

Anyway, I've just finished the last Hard Mode Chest Run I needed.

I've done everything there is in this game. Platinum and every Hard Mode Run with every Character. : peace:

The Binding Of Isaac: Rebirth might have become my favourite game of all time. :bowdown:

Can't wait for the expansion. :yay:

Until then: I will do Random and Eden runs without thinking about "needing the win". :awesome:

Sooo...The expansion Afterbirth has been out for a week now. : peace:

But only on PC :blank::(

Wanted to avoid any kind of spoiler for the game, but I couldn't resist so I watched Northernlion's videos :D

It looks fucking incredible. Can't wait.

The devs said the PS4/Vita version will be out by the end of the year...really hope that's true. Wouldn't mind some Binding of Isaac action during Christmas :bowdown:

I got Rebirth on 3DS and have only played it for an hour or so. There seems to be something off to me in some undescribable sense.

I finally got through five dungeons and got to the boss. I think I beat it but I can't see the ending in the Endings section so now I'm worried that I actually died. The ending movie showed

Isaac standing on the top of his mother and then another mother with red eyes opened the door

I'm also a bit guffed that I start from scratch every time. At least they could give permanent upgrades, one at a time.

So my initial thought it that it might grow on me but I'm finding it hard to sit down and take my time with it as it didn't really reward me for doing so previously.

So my initial thought it that it might grow on me but I'm finding it hard to sit down and take my time with it as it didn't really reward me for doing so previously.

The reward comes from several aspects (at least for me):

1. beating a run; advice: Always play Hard Mode since Easy Mode is reeeaaally easy - beating a run can be a piece of cake or hard as fuck, depending on the items you can pick up (it is, however, rarely unfair; certain item combinations can fuck you up, but these are very rare)

and with that comes:

2. creating your run; evaluating whether you should pick up an item, when you use an item, etc.

3. unlocking new items which in turn makes 1. and 2. even more interesting/rewarding

4. finding new item combinations

There's more, but that would spoil a lot.

If you don't want to sit down and take your time with the game, i.e. learn its nuances then I have to say: shouldn't have bought it :(

Thanks for the advice. It's good to know!

However, I'm also a bit frustrated that there is zero item description and some items don't even have names. I've killed myself several times because an item suddenly calls down your mother's foot or something like that. This also makes it really hard to know when to pick up items or to just pass it.

I've only managed to beat the game once (I think, see my first post), I've always died because I was not careful enough - an aspect of the game that I both like and dislike. I play on Normal which isn't quite easy for me so there is no way I'm going to attempt Hard as of yet. I feel that I have too few hearts generally (I think some of the unlockable characters have more?).

However, I'm also a bit frustrated that there is zero item description and some items don't even have names. I've killed myself several times because an item suddenly calls down your mother's foot or something like that. This also makes it really hard to know when to pick up items or to just pass it.

Well, part of the joy people get from The Binding Of Isaac is not knowing what items do as soon as you get them for the first time (or even for the second or third or fourth or...time).

You could just look up item descriptions, but for me that would defeat the whole purpose.

Eventually you want/need to know/look up what items do in order to complete certain challenges easier or finish runs on hard mode, but at first I'd advise you to not look up item descriptions and just "let the game happen".

I've only managed to beat the game once (I think, see my first post), I've always died because I was not careful enough - an aspect of the game that I both like and dislike

It's situational. During the first few floors (mostly the first two) you have to be careful. With most characters your HP is very limited, but not to a point where it's unfair.

Carefully treading through rooms is necessary to win.

I think some of the unlockable characters have more?

Yes. Some of them do ;)

I honestly can't wait for Afterbirth to hit Vita. Binding of Isaac is still the best indie game, the ultimate 'just 1 more' title. The gameplay is so solid and the loot really satisfying. Love it.

I honestly can't wait for Afterbirth to hit Vita.

Won't that make your screen dirty?

Spent an hour more with it yesterday. Still didn't get through the entire dungeon (the bosses surprise me most often - this time one of them moved super fast and I didn't, 4th floor) but at least I started getting a bit understanding about items and whatnot. And to my relieve, even though I don't go through the entire dungeon it still saves the items I've found.

Finally beat Mom yesterday night (even after some beer). Then the dungeon expanded into 8 rooms and this morning I managed to be totally badass and beat Mom's Heart as well - so first Mom kill according to the stats! I had a great combination of tears - they were swarming out in circles from me, and I had eight heart containers so I could take a punch. However, I do believe that I didn't lose more than a single heart in the last fight so I think I did alright. :D

This game is really growing on me...

Sign in to follow this