NEurope
Serebii

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D

Hm? We got the gold sprayed cartridges in Europe? At least for MM.

We did, we did. However we didn't for OoT(whereas US did a limited gold run iirc) and unless I'm very much mistaken there was also limited run gold-cartridge with holo-labels on the MM carts in US? We got just gold carts for MM, and it had slightly different art(or lack thereof, the US ones had link on them). I think we only got gold for MM over here due to the outrage over not getting them for OoT.

Thinking about it... I'm happy for Nintendo to stick to non-figure special editions in future, especially with amiibo out there.

Anyone reckon we'll get a Majora's Mask amiibo wave? I want a Skull Kid and Happy Mask Salesman in my collection.

I'm hoping and praying that we'll get a special edition XL for this, the Ambassador new 3ds is "out" so the retail release must be soon to be announced, and its odd for no special edition XL at the same time, perhaps thats because they have a MM one waiting to be announced in the direct along side the retail release

I'm hoping and praying that we'll get a special edition XL for this, the Ambassador new 3ds is "out" so the retail release must be soon to be announced, and its odd for no special edition XL at the same time, perhaps thats because they have a MM one waiting to be announced in the direct along side the retail release

With the new 3DS's coming soon (i'm assuming this due to the early access some UK gamers had to purchases one) i doubt it will be a special edition XL, but maybe a new 3DS/XL special edition.

I am ashamed to say I never played this first time around (was getting a ps2 in 2000 so didn't want to buy games for the "old" n64, oh how naive :indeed: ) and just playing it now for the first time on VC :love: Looking forward to the 3ds version, especially if new3dsxl (mouthful much? :heh:) is released around the same time :grin:

Read this earlier and if it works like I think it does then I'm not too happy with this addition.

The save system was fine in the original and added to the tension of the world you were trying to save. I can understand why they are doing it ( portable after all ) but doesn't mean to say I have to like it. I think the game may lose something in the process with this new feature. Time will tell I suppose.

Read this earlier and if it works like I think it does then I'm not too happy with this addition.

The save system was fine in the original and added to the tension of the world you were trying to save. I can understand why they are doing it ( portable after all ) but doesn't mean to say I have to like it. I think the game may lose something in the process with this new feature. Time will tell I suppose.

Agreed.

Hopefully they can either be turned off or Hero/Master Quest mode keeps the original system.

Agreed.

Hopefully they can either be turned off or Hero/Master Quest mode keeps the original system.

My biggest issue is the sidequests. For a lot of them its a one chance thing and if you muck up then you have to wait for another cycle. If you can save anywhere with permanent save states then you lose this risk of the quest as you could just reload if you didn't get there in time or made a mistake.

Like you I hope there is some sort of original mode that stays faithful to the N64 game.

I have to agree as well, if this new system works as i believe it to as well, unless they implement a "classic mode" which leaves the save system as is, then Nintendo are attempting to ruin a brilliant game.

Yup. Like when you fail in Kafei's quest on the last day, then go see Anju as you hear the moon almost crashing down into the town. The belief that she has in staying, even though you know he'll never come. Sad stuff. Hope they have an option to keep the original system.

Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D revamps the Bomber’s Notebook

zelda-majoras-mask-3d-bombers-notebook.png

The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D will feature a revamped Bomber’s Notebook, series producer Eiji Aonuma has revealed.

For those who haven’t experienced the original, the book can be used to keep track of different quests. Players can obtain it fairly early on.

Aonuma shared the news about improving the Bomber’s Notebook in this month’s issue of GamesMaster. As it turns out, it was Shigeru Miyamoto who suggested that the book be redone so that players would be more aware of the “hidden events” included in the game.

Aonuma stated:

We were told by Mr. Miyamoto that he felt there were a lot of users who finished the original without even noticing all the hidden events scattered around the town. He said that he wanted us to make sure users were more aware of them this time around.

According to Aonuma, the Bomber’s Notebook now makes use of the 3DS’ dual screens. It has been remade “to act more like an electronic notebook that leads players to these hidden events,” he said.

Aonuma also spoke with GamesMaster about the benefits of bringing the Majora’s Mask experience to a portable system.

When the game was launched, I believed that the real purpose was for players to overcome this pressure and experience a sense of achievement. On a portable console, users don’t have to choose when or where they play, they can keep on playing the game whenever they want. I think this should allow all users to enjoy that special sense of achievement.

http://nintendoeverything.com/zelda-majoras-mask-3d-revamps-the-bombers-notebook/

I don't get why they're changing things.... If people missed things last time it was their own fault, they could always play through it another time and try harder. I'm sick of hand holding in games and just as western developers finally seem to be easing off on tutorials and such, Nintendo starts to head in the opposite direction....

I was playing complicated PC puzzle games as a small child before the era of walkthroughs. It doesn't matter that you miss things, or that things require more time or effort. That's part of learning, that's how young gamers start taking gaming seriously.

As it turns out, it was Shigeru Miyamoto who suggested that the book be redone so that players would be more aware of the “hidden events” included in the game.

I know we don't know what the change is here, but to me, whatever it is can't be good. The notebook is your own record, your way of figuring things out for yourself. Events should only be discovered by seeing something happen in the world and wondering "what's going on there?" It's not meant to be a magic notebook which points to upcoming circumstances.

I don't get why they're changing things.... If people missed things last time it was their own fault, they could always play through it another time and try harder. I'm sick of hand holding in games and just as western developers finally seem to be easing off on tutorials and such, Nintendo starts to head in the opposite direction....

I was playing complicated PC puzzle games as a small child before the era of walkthroughs. It doesn't matter that you miss things, or that things require more time or effort. That's part of learning, that's how young gamers start taking gaming seriously.

I know we don't know what the change is here, but to me, whatever it is can't be good. The notebook is your own record, your way of figuring things out for yourself. Events should only be discovered by seeing something happen in the world and wondering "what's going on there?" It's not meant to be a magic notebook which points to upcoming circumstances.

They're changing it because it's being played on a handheld. The original save system just isn't a good fit on a console that is typically played in short bursts and likewise, if you're playing in short bursts, then it's harder to keep track of where everyone is and what they're doing because you forget where you are when you return to the game after a while.

I always knew they would. MM is probably my favourite game of all time, but I can totally understand why it is not a good fit for a handheld as-is.

Either way, it's certainly going to be a very different game to the original; which is great because I never felt that anything about MM really needed to be changed. It's not like OoT or TWW, which both had some really obvious issues that the designers always wanted to fix; so I'm much more interested in seeing a different take on MM than just a simple graphical overhaul.

Edited by Dcubed

The changes to me seem like they're nerfing the game a bit. I had no problem with the game first time around when I was a teenager. I prefer a challenge. I think Nintendo think that the 3 day cycle and its difficulty stifled the games sales. We'll see how it turns out.

They can have a quick save and quit option that can be performed at any time, but then erases the save when you next load it. At the very least this overcomes the ability to have multiple save states/reloading yet allow handheld gamers to instantly stop playing. In other words, they have an owl statue in their pocket. Let's hope that's the way they're doing it as the ability to reload a save would suck.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it sounds to me like you've forgotten that the original notebook told you exactly when events happened.

It's how I always "discovered new events" in Majora's Mask.

This sounds to me like it's gonna show some more of the obscure, un-important events. (Anju's conversation with her grandmother, etc.)

It seems like this will make it easier to find those backstory moments. And I'm perfectly fine with this.

Mind you, I could be wrong.

On another note, I don't see this revamped save system as an issue for me.

I know I'm not gonna abuse it, so I'm cool with it.

Maybe some of you need to stop wanting everyone to play the way you want.

Edited by Glen-i

So when does everyone reckon this'll come out? I'm hoping for March but I'm expecting mid June.

I rather agree - especially considering if you WERE stuck back then you could turn to the classic tinternets for faqs/walkthroughs etc or even join forums(joined my first forums due to MM :D).

In this day and age that's even more prevalent, so I'm doubly-confused as to why they feel the need to spell everything out IN game instead. Admittedly though, @Glen\-i is somewhat right in that the bomber's notebook did tell/indicate when things were happening, albeit without much detail, and so you'd investigate and discover things with it.

I think as Glen says it might be more for little character/time specific events like Anju's convo, or the travelling Goron and stuff like that.

As for the apparently changed save system, I've already made my thoughts on the idea rather clear. More confusion though - WHY need to put in another save system if you can just put the system to sleep in your pocket? Unless maybe you can't...(still don't approve though)

Not worried about the changes since most of us have played/beaten this before. These remakes are nostalgic replays more than brand new experiences.

So when does everyone reckon this'll come out? I'm hoping for March but I'm expecting mid June.

I'm going for April/May myself.

If rumours about Codename STEAM releasing in Europe in May is accurate, I doubt this game would release in the same month. So I'd take a wild quess for either April or June.

I suspect it will launch Dawn of the 3rd day of the 3rd month

The feather and owl statues sounds odd, its either an easy mode where feather statues replace owl statues and are permanent saves (with hard mode the original way) or its like Sheikah said, perhaps feather statues are items? and you can use one to make a save anywhere like a save state so you can close the 3DS/exit the game...kind of like the old resident evil style type writer ribbons

I'm pretty sure the Nintendo store had mid Feb up as a date on the product page for the game for a few moments after pre-orders were announced. If there's a Nintendo Direct announced in the next 2 weeks, I'm hopeful we will see it released in February, along with the New3DS maybe?