NEurope
Serebii

Super Smash Bros. Wii U Direct (23rd October 23:00)

Holy crap that was amazing, possibly best direct of the year. After the 3ds game I wasn't overly hyped for this anymore but MAN - I can't wait now. it looks in incredible. The levels, the modes, the music and ... That announcer <3 December can't come soon enough now!

So no voice chat in-game. Regardless of all the other content, this has disappointed me to no end.

So no voice chat in-game. Regardless of all the other content, this has disappointed me to no end.

Either that or a laggy online experience with Voice Chat. I know which I'd pick

Either that or a laggy online experience with Voice Chat. I know which I'd pick

If voice chat would make it laggy then Nintendo are shit developers. It's just as simple as that. It's tragic, not just disappointing.

If voice chat would make it laggy then Nintendo are shit developers. It's just as simple as that. It's tragic, not just disappointing.

No. That's not how it works. For games like CoD, Mario Kart etc., latency can be covered through extrapolation. This is why you sometimes see jumping about. As such, the added strain on bandwidth caused by voice chat is fine because it'd be barely noticeable. (I agree it should have been in Mario Kart)

Conversely, for a split-second fighting game, where mere milliseconds count, then adding to the strain just so people can cuss at eachother, is not a good idea.

Also, Namco are developing this, not Nintendo.

No. That's not how it works. For games like CoD, Mario Kart etc., latency can be covered through extrapolation. This is why you sometimes see jumping about. As such, the added strain on bandwidth caused by voice chat is fine because it'd be barely noticeable. (I agree it should have been in Mario Kart)

Conversely, for a split-second fighting game, where mere milliseconds count, then adding to the strain just so people can cuss at eachother, is not a good idea.

Also, Namco are developing this, not Nintendo.

And yet so many other fighting games on other consoles don't have this problem. Weird that.

And yet so many other fighting games on other consoles don't have this problem. Weird that.

Those fighting games aren't 4 player.

I really like the idea of 8 player battles where everyone is teamed up with their Amiibo. Nintendo explained it pretty well in their latest ultra cheesy Amiibo ad.

As for the voice chat, the quality is horrible in Mario Kart. Implementing that level of voice chat in any game is a total waste of resources.

Some of them are:

:D

Wow, Nintendo/Namco should really watch this video, looks like such a fun way to play online, never knowing what's happening, never see the character respond to the buttons you press, feels so fleshed out!

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I have such a grudge against lag that I would give them money to remove every form of chat that interferes with the connection.

Glad that's not needed as they made the right decision (from my point of view).

This is not meant to rile up against you @kav82, just my personal opinion/taste/preference, which you also have of course : peace:

I know @markderoos, no worries man. The funny thing is, even without voice chat Smash Bros Brawl had those issues.

Still, they could do it without it having issues:

No. That's not how it works. For games like CoD, Mario Kart etc., latency can be covered through extrapolation...

And yet Mario Kart is still sans voice chat...

Make voice chat available through a party chat.

Separate from the game...problem solved. :indeed:

And yet Mario Kart is still sans voice chat...

Did you not see the end of my paragraph?

Make voice chat available through a party chat.

Separate from the game...problem solved. :indeed:

That doesn't stop it sapping bandwidth...

Do I need to start explaining the laws of physics and networking again?

If I used teamspeak/skype/any other program and played Smash online, would that be any different?

I feel like we're committing daylight robbery by only paying Nintendo €50 for this game. It so jam packed full of awesome.

If I used teamspeak/skype/any other program and played Smash online, would that be any different?

If your connection is fast enough, actually yes.

Very good direct, looking forward to playing in it December. Really disappointed in the lack of voice chat, it's bullshit. The only reason the Wii U would have a tough time with it is because the network adapter it uses is fucking dreadful at times, why not just limit it to those using a LAN adapter?

Hoping Mewtwo gets sold as a separate DLC though, no way I'm picking up the 3DS version until the New 3DS is in my hands at the very least.

So Serebii, how does Playstation Allstars bend the laws of physics to run well?

So you're saying Nintendo is capable of voice chat in Mario Kart but didn't bother helping a developer working on one of their biggest franchises to implement it? Even if Nintendo themselves aren't developing it, it is in their best interests (and fans') to provide a level of service now standard on all other platforms.

So Serebii, how does Playstation Allstars bend the laws of physics to run well?

It doesn't run well...

It doesn't run well...

That video I posted shows it to. So do many others online. Just because you can did a few that don't it doesn't mean it doesn't run well at all, some people will have trouble with Smash Bros running well, it doesn't mean it won't run well at all... although if we go off Brawl then we shouldn't be too surprised if it runs like shit... what was Nintendo's excuse then? There was no "game ruining" voice chat there.

If your connection is fast enough, actually yes.

My connection isn't the fastest but I was always able to use Teamspeak and/or (yes and, as in: at the same time) Skype and play every online game perfectly fine without any lag. Unless the game itself was the problem.

So it appears to be that if Namco/Nintendo invested in better/more servers Smash should be able to handle in-game voice chat.