NEurope
Serebii

Gamecube Controller Adapter compatible with... Bugger all.

This adapter will allow you to connect your GameCube controller to the Nintendo Wii or Wii U. Connect your GameCube controller to your Wii or Wii U console. Compatible with all games supported by the Wii Classic Controller, Wii Classic Controller Pro and Wii U Pro Controller.

http://store.nintendo.co.uk/wii-u-accessories/gamecube-controller-adapter-for-wii-u/11028551.html

Yowzah

Great news indeed! But the Wii U Pro Controller has 4 shoulder buttons. The Gamecube controller only has 3. Surely this will make it incompatible with many games?

Great news indeed! But the Wii U Pro Controller has 4 shoulder buttons. The Gamecube controller only has 3. Surely this will make it incompatible with many games?

I'm sure there's a work-around. PS4 games are playable on the Vita through Remote Play and that has less buttons.

Hold up...so I can use my old GC controller for Mario Kart 8?!

If this listing is accurate, yes.

Wow! If so, that's great news! :D

I'll be able to use them with N64 Wii U games for certain then! :D

But I doubt that's the case, because Smash Bros Wii U recognises the GCN controller as a seperate controller from anything else (button icons match the GCN controller), which would be impossible if the adapter just replicated the Pro Controller/Classic Controller.

I'll just assume that this is a mistake in the listing for now...

Mmm. A particularly delicious news item.

Guess that adaptor is worth the money after all...

And how I thank The Lord that I kept hold of my precious WaveBird!! I'll just need to give it a clean and it'll be like new. We all know how mucky my light coloured controllers can get... :heh::shakehead:

This is awesome though!

Worth noting that there are people who doubt the accuracy of the posting.

Holy mother of pearl! Forget what I said in the other thread, I'd pay £30 for this thing :p

Just imagining DK Tropical Freeze with a GC controller... oh man, the wait for a true DK experience is finally over. Will play the shit out of that again now. Hopefully Nintendo will realise the error of their ways and make the next console have an improved GC controller. I never did like the 'classic controller', even the pro version, glad I didn't buy another Wii U specific one now.

If it works, great news indeed. But like @Mr\-Paul mentioned, some games may not even work with the controls without a patch to make it so.

... why did I bother getting pro and classic controllers?

So you can donate to Nintendo's coffers.

I wonder if we'll get rumble when using it with games like MK8 which support rumble on the Wii U Pro Controller. I doubt it though if it works with all classic controller games.

They've removed the listing now. I'm worried.

Now it just says

Connect your GameCube controller to your Wii U console. Compatible with all games supported by the Wii U Pro Controller.

They clearly don't know what they're on about, so chances are that the whole listing is a mistake.

It wouldn't make sense for it to work like that anyway. Not only would it be lacking 4 buttons (5 if you count the missing Home button), but it also contradicts how Smash recognises it specifically as a GCN controller...

"The GameCube Controller Adapter for Wii U is compatible with Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U specifically - it is not compatible with any other Wii U software," a Nintendo UK spokesperson has told Eurogamer.

"The adapter is also not compatible with Wii and we apologise for any confusion."

Well bugger :(

That's more clear now, there was me thinking it would be great to use the controller with Brawl (maybe that could work, seeing as it would be plugged into the WiiU ports but you are going into Wii mode to play the game).

I'm thinking a change in thread title might be needed here...

EDIT: There we go. Got a good giggle out of that.

Edited by Glen-i

Ugh no I was hoping it would be compatible with Mario kart 8 as well. I hope they'll patch that in later for other specific games.

If they don't patch it in for future and some existing games now then man... yet another controller to add to the pile.

Wii Remote and Nunchuk

Classic Controller

Classic Controller Pro

Wii U classic Controller

GameCube controller

and oh ofc, GamePad.

All of those work on select games. It's so confusing for new-comers. I guess at least the GamePad does work across all of them but when it comes to multiplayer things can get confusing.

Remember to have a Wii Motion Plus and not just a normal Wii Remote too, a normal Wii remote will only work with about half the games! Some games like both! Play some NintendoLand minigames and a Wii Remote is fine, but others? You'll need that Motion Plus!

I hope they have one controller next gen that can do everthing, a mix of the U Pro controller and Gamecube.

Wii Fit Plus is the craziest. Wii U GamePad, Wii Fit Board, two Motion Plus Wiimotes and a nunchuk required to play all of the minigames. U Walker meter thing as an optional extra.

So this was all a big mistake by whichever idiot was updating/listing the item on the official store?

To think that would have been the way they'd let slip anyway, ha.

So this was all a big mistake by whichever idiot was updating/listing the item on the official store?

It's possible that some fool at The Hut Group wrote it before getting the official description (between when they removed it and added the apology they had the same description as elsewhere).

another missed opportunity by nintendo....

whats the running total now?

the worlds best controller never gets any love