N-Europe

Colouring on photoshop

yogi_bear

Shino the website I posted tells you exactly how to use the pen tool.... This also allows you to do a really shitty drawing in the first place. =P Oh and it makes colouring a lot easier as your colours fall under the lines. ;) Good use of layers makes colouring a lot easier....

If I had the time I would give it a try myself but I really don't. :-/ I'm still meant to finish my own drawing of cloud. ; ;

Seriously, anyone who follows the website I linked will get good results. ;)

You may not realise it but you do indeed have an air brush. lolol I failed to realise at first as well. lol At the top on the toolbar where you can set your brush properties there is a little icon that looks kinda like a ink dropper with a squiggle behind it..... Click that to enable air brust properties. ;)

Oh and I meant to add this before, but, errmmm yeah, here are my first 3 attempts at using the tutorial I provided..... 1 isn't finished and probably never will be as I've moved on to other stuff since then... I'm just posting this to show how fast(?) this tutorial can improve you. ;)

http://conbox.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/chocobonet.jpg

I didn't use the pen tool for the outlines, but, I created a cool little style thing using the eraser to fix the lines.... =P lol

http://conbox.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/moogleweb.jpg

This is pretty good I guess. ^^;

http://conbox.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/unfinished.jpg

This was easilly going to be better then both, but, I got distracted by something else.....

Yah my colouring is a lot better then this now...... But, I like how these came out... ^^;

Arghhh I really should finish that last one... >.>

That's a nice pic. XD

I really do suggest you atleast get used to the pen tool though. I hated it at first, but, it really does help in the end.... >.< Even though getting started takes a little while longer you can progress with your colour at a faster pace....

It will also save you ever having to try to rub out the scanned paper as your sketch isn't even part of the colouring process in the end. :)

Quick question.... For your shadows do you really think about how they would be on a real person or do you just put them where they look good? Ermmm that sounds kinda like I'm suggest they look bad, but, it's kinda the opposite..... But yeah.. ^^;

yeah I really should learn how to use it, but every time I try it seams something goes wrong. :hmm:

Quick question.... For your shadows do you really think about how they would be on a real person or do you just put them where they look good? Ermmm that sounds kinda like I'm suggest they look bad, but, it's kinda the opposite..... But yeah.. ^^;

hehe yeah, even I don't know about that, it's a bit of both cause it has to look realistic and also there's some "predefined" places in anime that just makes it look nicer, at least thats what I think :p

Hehe yeah, that's what I guessed... I tend to do the same especially as trying to get shadows perfect gives me a headache (I'm a perfectionist without the talent to back it up... Gotta work on that one. lol) XD

Oh and if you ever want to get into 3D work then the pen tool will help as splines = pen tool in disguise. =P

Oh and if something goes wrong, remember you can always edit each vector using levers....

I knew nothing about the pen tool before using that tutorial and I'm really glad I found it seeing as it teaches you how to use it. lolol :yay:

I was bored today and decided to pass about 30 mins doing the line art of your pic Shino... You don't mind do you? Well It was pretty fun to do anyway.. It's nice doing a pic that is done well. ^^d

lineart.jpg

If you want to have a go colouring using this line art (to see what I mean about it being easier) then you can download the PSD version... ^^d

http://conbox.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/lineart.psd

If you do though you might want to redo some parts though. XD I just checked it for the first time and some parts aren't TOO great. lol.... Only really the small details on the jacket and the tatoo (???) that are a bit wonkey though. lol Might just be the JPG format doing it though. *shrug*

I was bored today and decided to pass about 30 mins doing the line art of your pic Shino... You don't mind do you? Well It was pretty fun to do anyway.. It's nice doing a pic that is done well. ^^d

If you want to have a go colouring using this line art (to see what I mean about it being easier) then you can download the PSD version... ^^d

http://conbox.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/lineart.psd

If you do though you might want to redo some parts though. XD I just checked it for the first time and some parts aren't TOO great. lol.... Only really the small details on the jacket and the tatoo (???) that are a bit wonkey though. lol Might just be the JPG format doing it though. *shrug*

WOW that looks great !!! (for some reason this thread wasn't high-lighted before). For some reason my pen-tool doesn't stroke normaly, it puts a line that fades on boths sides, i've been in the brush properties but it still does that :hmm:

here's an update of how im doing,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...notfinished.jpg

im just trying various colours for the skin, what do you think?

the coloring seems nice, but he seems to pale, as for the outline its good in most places but in the more detailed parts like the fingers it's a bit weird :p

WOW that looks great !!! (for some reason this thread wasn't high-lighted before). For some reason my pen-tool doesn't stroke normaly, it puts a line that fades on boths sides, i've been in the brush properties but it still does that :hmm:

Thanks. ^^d

When using fill path or stroke path? If it's fill path then change the feathering radius........ This can also be well used to make nice shadows (not really used for a traditional anime style) and other such effects. :)

If it's stroke path then it should simulate the lines drawn with the brush tool perfectly...... So set up the brush to look how you want it to and it should be ok. :)

Oh and btw...... If you are doing your own lineart then don't worry about the fact that the lines seem a bit faint at first as this is fixed when you duplicate the layer before you start colouring. ;)

Yogi, I think you should try using stronger colours for your picture. Your colouring for sasuke's top is fine, but, the skin shades are a bit off... I suggest you find a picture of sasuke in the same light and use the eyedropper tool to get the basis of your colours for the skin... Keep in mind though that any JPG file you use the colours won't be solid so you might click on a really odd colour.... Just keep looking until you get one that looks right. hehe Once you find something that looks right tweak it a bit to get the perfect colour for your picture. ;)

Try using this picture. ;)http://kakashi.joueb.com/images/Naruto%20et%20Sasuke.jpg