NEurope
tapedeck

Play Expo 2014 - Manchester. Oct 11/12th

Anyone going this year?

The new Showcase section looks good with Red Dwarf/Star Wars cast as well as the DeLorean from BTTF confirmed so far.

I'm taking my nephew and will be staying the whole weekend. Just debating where to stay. Any suggestions by any mancunians or previous attendees?

Seems a fair few N-E peeps go. We should all meet up at some point!

http://www.playexpo.net/

Well God Damn entire Red Dwarf cast? i'm there just on that basis alone!

In fact since I don't have a fully working Proton Pack at the min, i'm going to get a Mal Reynolds Costume and go in cosplay!

I haven't decided yet. Due to the traffic last year, it took me four hours to get home.

I haven't decided yet. Due to the traffic last year, it took me four hours to get home.

Oh god i forgot about that! i was stuck in that too :shakehead

Yeah, heard the traffic was torture last year, from an accident nearby. From their website, it appears they've done a lot to sort queues out this year too. Tempted to wear my Luigi hat with a 'what you staring at?' T-shirt.

Should probably report this for the student paper as long as it doesn't clash with essays and shit. I could probably put a person up, live about 40 minute bus away though, so not ideal.

I might head there again this year, I've been to the past two. The first was definitely better than the last one but still, the last one was good, Oculus Rift blew my mind!

@Zechs Merquise, @Blade, what do you think?

Not sure i'll be going now,i fell down some stairs and badly twisted my ankle lol, i shouldn't laugh but unless i'm lucky and the swelling has gone down i doubt i'll be going

Oooh is Oculus Rift back? It made me feel sick last year haha! I would fancy trying it again though.

I was trying to find a list detailing what is there. Although Nintendo isn't there this year i'm still tempted to go.

I was trying to find a list detailing what is there. Although Nintendo isn't there this year i'm still tempted to go.

There is some Nintendo-related stuff, like tournaments for Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros Melee, Project M and Smash Bros 3DS.

so did anyone go to this? i went and took my cosplay to wear but after 10 min in civi's my foot was freaking killing me, didn't fancy riding boots after that....plus i was bored

Met Chris Barrie and that was my highlight, it didn't feel nearly as good as 2 years ago and nowhere near as good as last year (but i suppose it won't compete with PS4 launch year), it just felt more laid out, more barren.

It seemed like mainly little stalls, and retro games,a distinct lack of new games compared to other years......is the industry really that barren till 2015? or was it just a crap year?

It seemed like mainly little stalls, and retro games,a distinct lack of new games compared to other years......is the industry really that barren till 2015? or was it just a crap year?

I didn't go, but I suspect the change is due to their partnership with Showmasters, and them trying to turn into a bit of a more general convention (hence the Red Dwarf cast).

Yeah was there yesterday and off there this morning. A little disappointed in the large devs not being there. Outside of a couple of AAA games and a strong Konami prescence, a bit flat in new games. PES is brilliant this year though. Played it for an hour straight and the PS4 version feels a lot slicker than the PS3 version. Did love the retro section. Four swords adventures on four monitors and a large TV is godly! Also, melee, Project M tournaments were interesting to watch.

Was over the moon I could play all my childhood games again in the retro area leaving me and my nephew gamed out. Was a GREAT gaming education for him too. The screenplay section was a bit thrown together so will just do a few things today before heading back to the train station and back home.

Glad we went but hopefully there is more next year. Also - 45min queue was a bit naff.

Yeah I found that it was more educational than fun, was hoping for more big upcoming releases. I saw a Bloodborne poster at one point and was terrifically let-down when I realised it wasn't at the show.

Also, the PS4 games on show REQUIRED sound to be enjoyable, so I was more than miffed after plugging headphones into the controller that I couldn't hear anything. Massive fuck-up to be honest.

I was disappointed too. It seems they made the showpiece of the event the many stalls and merchandise stands that were given the most prominent place of dead centre in the hall. And what the hell was all that space dedicated to with loads of tables and chairs and just a few people playing cards.

I had no interest in the convention style meet and greets and certainly wasn't going to pay for that, nor to have my picture taken with a replica delorean.

I enjoyed the PS4 section but it was all demos that I feel I could have downloaded from the store. Nintendo's presence was missed, and Microsoft really should have been there.

The usual arcade cabinets, pinball machines and retro consoles set up were fine - pretty much the same as last year. But overall, the event was nowhere near as good as 2012 and 2013.