NEurope
Serebii

Pokken Tournament (Wii U Spring 2016)

1 hour ago, MindFreak said:

She?

Impossible to tell, there's no visual differences between Male and Female Blastoise.

Quite a few fans are absolutely adamant about having every single starter be female. Back before Gen 6, a female starter was quite valuable because of it's low odds of happening along with how passing down moves worked (Mother determines the species, father determines the moves)

It makes little to no difference these days, but some people still cling to that mindset. I saw more than a few people resetting their game in order to get a female starter Pokémon in Sun/Moon.

Edited by Glen-i

The reason I call Blastoise a "she" is because the Portuguese language requires all nouns to have genders, and with foreign or made-up words, we usually need to go with our gut when attributing a gender. When I was younger, me and my friends just implicitly agreed that the Squirtle line was female (off the top of my head, the likes of Starmie, Diglett and Eevee were also female).

I usually use "it" when referring to animals/Pokémon in English, but with Blastoise it's genuinely hard to let go of the habit.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jonnas said:

The reason I call Blastoise a "she" is because the Portuguese language requires all nouns to have genders, and with foreign or made-up words, we usually need to go with our gut when attributing a gender. When I was younger, me and my friends just implicitly agreed that the Squirtle line was female (off the top of my head, the likes of Starmie, Diglett and Eevee were also female).

I usually use "it" when referring to animals/Pokémon in English, but with Blastoise it's genuinely hard to let go of the habit.

Huh, that's kinda interesting. I always associated that evolutionary line as more masculine, personally.

I'm with Glen-i here, Squirtle is clearly the manliest of the first three starters. That or extremely butch.

I refuse to believe this isn't a 100% totally fabulous female. a27128a30786ca9b6fb4a7c98c6a78b2.jpg

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Huh, that's kinda interesting. I always associated that evolutionary line as more masculine, personally.

Truth be told, I think the Portuguese dub of the Anime did go with male Squirtle. That one's voice was way too gruff there. But me and my friends were playing Red&Blue way before she debuted in-series, so that's what I'm still going with :heh: Though it should be noted, attributing a gender to words is separate from attributing a gender to the animal itself. We can recognize that male turtles and female tortoises exist, even though "turtle" is a female word and "tortoise" is a male word.

I do admit that it's pretty arbitrary, and doesn't necessarily have to do with how masculine or feminine a Pokémon is. Sometimes, it's just how the name sounds (for example, Diglett sounds female, Dugtrio sounds male. Same deal with Spinarak and Ariados), or even which animal they represent (Girafarig is female because Giraffe is a female word. Corsola remains male because Coral is a male word). There's even weird cases, such as when Happiny and Blissey are female, but Chansey is male (like, the word "Chance" is female, but that slight change in the word makes it sound male for some reason). For a non-Pokémon example, the wrestling brand "Smackdown" is, depending on who you ask, either male (because it's a TV show) or female (because it's a brand).

It's a subjective thing, and weird debates happen when new words are introduced to our lexicon, and Pokémon gave us hundreds of words to do that with :heh:

• Thanks 3

20 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Very interesting to read! Dutch makes a difference between either having a sex: ‘de’ or being sexless ‘het’.

So for example a cow and a bull are ‘de koe’ en ‘de stier’, but their genderless spieces is ‘het rund’. Just like the building is ‘het gebouw’.

Crazy how many differences there are even only on one continent. Even more crazy that they all just work fine.

• Like 1