NEurope
Serebii

Pokken Tournament (Wii U Spring 2016)

It's just useless as long as it's only on the Arcade. Bring them to Wii U and I think people would mind!

New character announced, not that it seems anyone cares :p

I'd care if it was on the Wii U. Surely some kind of NX edition must be on the cards that will have the new stuff in? Releasing them on the Wii U at this point just seems like it would be a bit of a waste.

I guess that pretty much confirms Empoleon as the next character... Hopefully that last empty spot is being saved for (Ash-)Greninja. :)

I'd care if it was on the Wii U. Surely some kind of NX edition must be on the cards that will have the new stuff in? Releasing them on the Wii U at this point just seems like it would be a bit of a waste.

The absence of any sign of the Pokkén Tournament Championship Series is making me think an enhanced NX port is on the cards.

The game on Wii U sold over a million units, which is really good for a game like this. They'd be mad not to do another :)

Scizor's not going to be in the Wii U version. Wasn't he leaked through a Wii U update?

I''ve seen some suggestions that the game has perhaps not fulfilled it's potential due to the Pokemon Company trying to gear it's marketing towards a younger audience. I still think this is a good game, but general interest seemed to flatline after about two months after the game came out.

Wouldn't mind going back to this sometime, although I'm quite average at beat 'em ups and don't have much experience of playing well with anything other than Chandelure.

I thought it had quite a steep learning curve with the different phases and different movesets for each phase, I found it quite daunting. I'm not big into fighting games and I didn't but much time into which probably didn't help.

Is anybody playing DX?  My copy arrived yesterday and it's great to have a version of this which is portable.

Seems to be a few new features which keep it interesting.  There are daily challenges and there's a challenge wall for when you're fighting in a league.

5 hours ago, V. Amoleo said:

Is anybody playing DX?  My copy arrived yesterday and it's great to have a version of this which is portable.

Seems to be a few new features which keep it interesting.  There are daily challenges and there's a challenge wall for when you're fighting in a league.

I gave the new characters a quick bash, but it's still Pokken. Fun with a friend, but pretty damn repetitive in Single Player.

Good result for Pokken, horrible result for MvsCI! (even USF2 charted higher in its first week in the UK!).  Man, I feel bad for Capcom right now...

Pokken is good stuff guys! Seriously! Give it a look in if you're itching for a fun and pretty unique fighter! (just don't expect much in the way of single player content).

Edited by Dcubed

13 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Good result for Pokken, horrible result for MvsCI! (even USF2 charted higher in its first week in the UK!).  Man, I feel bad for Capcom right now...

Pokken is good stuff guys! Seriously! Give it a look in if you're itching for a fun and pretty unique fighter! (just don't expect much in the way of single player content).

I have no pity for them. The way certain things happen in the story seems to suggest that characters were cut from the game to simply sell as DLC. Add to the fact that the game has a very questionable roster, awful story mode and looks ugly, it wasn't going to do well. In a year that has seen Tekken 7 and Injustice 2 do very well, it goes to show it's not a genre thing but how Capcom are handling their franchises.

Great result for Pokken. I would have snapped it up if I hadn't played the the Wii U version to death. I'll still get it at some point but at the moment there are too may other games to be played.

• Thanks 1

MvcCI was going to be sent to the next dimension by DB FighterZ anyway.

Good to see Pokken selling well, I didn't think it would.

10 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I have no pity for them. The way certain things happen in the story seems to suggest that characters were cut from the game to simply sell as DLC. Add to the fact that the game has a very questionable roster, awful story mode and looks ugly, it wasn't going to do well. In a year that has seen Tekken 7 and Injustice 2 do very well, it goes to show it's not a genre thing but how Capcom are handling their franchises.

Great result for Pokken. I would have snapped it up if I hadn't played the the Wii U version to death. I'll still get it at some point but at the moment there are too may other games to be played.

Yeah, Capcom really screwed the pooch here.  Fighters are actually doing fairly well in general; but Capcom are just handling their games terribly all round (BTW - for extra laughs - it turns out that USF2 didn't just chart higher than MvsCi, it outsold it in its first week too! - I'm pretty sure that wasn't supposed to happen :laughing:)

Still, Pokken, ARMS and even USF2 itself show that there's a sizable audience for fighters on Switch.  Hopefully other publishers take notice! Would love to see Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2 on Switch!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Yeah, Capcom really screwed the pooch here.  Fighters are actually doing fairly well in general; but Capcom are just handling their games terribly all round (BTW - for extra laughs - it turns out that USF2 didn't just chart higher than MvsCi, it outsold it in its first week too! - I'm pretty sure that wasn't supposed to happen :laughing:)

It's baffling just how far they have fallen. It's like they don't have a clue what the market wants. They've been an absolute shell of a company for a while now and they had better hope and pray that their Monster Hunter World gamble pays off because if it doesn't I feel the vultures will start circling the company.

• Thanks 1

I've played the demo of this a couple of times now and just can't click with it. Strange, as I love fighting games. Maybe I've been spoiled as I played Tekken earlier this year and I loved it. 

There's something about this that feels more confusing than Tekken, and it doesn't seem right given that this is Pokémon. I know there's lots of depth to this game I just can't seem to ever really know what I'm doing when playing. 

15 hours ago, Aneres11 said:

I've played the demo of this a couple of times now and just can't click with it. Strange, as I love fighting games. Maybe I've been spoiled as I played Tekken earlier this year and I loved it. 

There's something about this that feels more confusing than Tekken, and it doesn't seem right given that this is Pokémon. I know there's lots of depth to this game I just can't seem to ever really know what I'm doing when playing. 

The tutorial is pretty comprehensive.  Did you actually play through it, or just skip it?

Field Phase is basically about trying to psyche out your opponent to gain the advantage going into battle phase and the combat takes cues from Soul Calibur in that you have a rock-paper-scizzors style setup where normal attacks beat grabs, counters beat normal attacks and grabs beat counters (and shields for that matter).

You have support Pokémon who can help you lay on the pressure or get out of a tight spot by pressing L and you also have your Synergy Burst where you get a... well... burst of energy, with boosted attack, defence and priority on moves; concluding in a Super Move you can do by pressing L&R again before the gauge runs out (watch out though because it fails if you miss with it, or the opponent blocks it).

That's about it really! The movelist is also pretty simple and easy to grasp too (you can check it from the pause menu).

Edited by Dcubed

58 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

The tutorial is pretty comprehensive.  Did you actually play through it, or just skip it?

Field Phase is basically about trying to psyche out your opponent to gain the advantage going into battle phase and the combat takes cues from Soul Calibur in that you have a rock-paper-scizzors style setup where normal attacks beat grabs, counters beat normal attacks and grabs beat counters (and shields for that matter).

You have support Pokémon who can help you lay on the pressure or get out of a tight spot by pressing L and you also have your Synergy Burst where you get a... well... burst of energy, with boosted attack, defence and priority on moves; concluding in a Super Move you can do by pressing L&R again before the gauge runs out (watch out though because it fails if you miss with it, or the opponent blocks it).

That's about it really! The movelist is also pretty simple and easy to grasp too (you can check it from the pause menu).

Yep I went through the whole tutorial. I think that was the problem. It was too much. 

It automatically made me feel like there was a lot to get to grips with which is not always what you want with a fighting game. Or it's not what I want anyway. Throw me in, let me learn as I play and if I want to get stupidly good at it, I'll look to learn that later. 

Good numbers for Japan.

Pokken Tournament DX debuts at #1 with 53,395

Marvel also launched over there and well...

Marvel vs Capcom Infinite debuts at #8 with 8,273

This has been mentioned in the Nintendo Direct Mini thread but thought it was worth a post here too.

So we're getting two pieces of DLC for Pokken DX.

Wave 1 – available January 31st

New Battle Pokémon: Aegislash
    New Support Pokémon set: Mega Rayquaza/Mimikyu
    New items for your avatar

Wave 2 – available March 23rd

New Battle Pokémon: Blastoise
    New Support Pokémon set: Mew/Celebi

While that sounds pretty cool, this is all you're getting for £13.50.  Or to put it another way for 25% of the cost of the game on the eShop you can get two more characters and two more support sets.  DLC is never good value but this feels particularly stingy when put next to the other season passes available.

Guys, guys, guys! We need to have a serious discussion. I mean it...

Behold, Blastoise's Pokken Model.

1sNpbyT.jpg

Not edited in any way, I swear.

I think we have our winner of worst Pokken Model. I mean, holy crap! That makes Lucario look good by comparison. I literally cried with laughter.

They really should have just chosen a different Water Pokémon if they needed longer limbs.

EDIT: It doesn't look much better in motion...

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 2

Her legs... why...? She doesn't even walk much. She now looks like a guy in a suit, like a Power Rangers monster of the week.

Otherwise, cool moveset. Her finishing move looks awesome, love how she freezes her hands to brace for impact, and how the camera angle doesn't show her legs.

• Haha 1