NEurope
Serebii

Pokken Tournament (Wii U Spring 2016)

Wow this is like a dream come true, I never thought I'd see this. It's arcade only for now but we'll see a Wii U release either at the end of 2015 or early 2016, that's just the way it goes with fighting games. First they release them in arcades because most Japanese players prefer to play in arcades where there is more competition and higher level players, then using player feedback they'll fine tune the game's balance and release the updated version for arcade and port that one over to consoles, usually with additional characters.

Huh, that song is from Tekken :heh:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Knowing that this game will be stylised after Tekken, even Soul Calibur gets repetitive and spammy very quickly. What did you like about it?

Tekken has very large movesets, so even if you only main 3 or 4 characters, you can get good mileage out of mixing things up when playing with others. But you don't even need to do that, as Tekken's rosters have become so large, as well.

And it's not just offensive moves, characters have counter-moves and parries as well. Lots of combinations and different matchups. You can even pick a character you're not used to and still do something well.

Of course, it's entirely possible to find out a good move and use it consistently, but it's also possible to find ways to counter that move.

A common complaint for Tekken is that it's too juggle-happy. I have to concede that point, but I think it's only a problem in higher-level play.

Another complaint (one that I share), is that the single-player mode is barebones, usually being worth it only to unlock the character endings. The meat of the game is multiplayer.

Finally, I will say that the presentation is excellent. The animation and movement are flawless, the martial arts are well represented, each character speaks their own language, and the games have a great sense of humour. Also, the Tekken director (who also helped in Smash Bros) is a cool dude, who is strongly against paid DLC characters.

So yeah, I'm excited to see what kind of Pokémon they'll choose :) And this is not Mario Kart, this is a fighting game, there's a better chance of it finding its way to consoles.

Oh like Mario Kart Arcade.

That was different. The Gamecube and Wii already had a Mario Kart game for each of them respectively and each Nintendo console only ever gets one MK game for the whole generation.

This is a traditional fighting game though, where console releases following the arcade one is the norm...

That was different. The Gamecube and Wii already had a Mario Kart game for each of them respectively and each Nintendo console only ever gets one MK game for the whole generation.

This is a traditional fighting game though, where console releases following the arcade one is the norm...

Plus Ishihara said it's coming to arcade first :p

Should we take this as Namco seeing potential in the Wii U? Or Nintendo using their deep pockets to get games?

Anyways, this seems interresting. I had always found it more obvious to make a Zelda fighter based on Soul Calibur mechanics, but there you go.

I know it was mentioned before, but the fact that Machamp is actually playable is pretty damn exciting.

That Pokemon gets overlooked so much.

But seemingly like a few other people here, it IS Tekken. And I am not the biggest fan of that series.

I kinda find it hard to memorise complicated combo inputs. Take Soul Calibur 2, I bought that for Link, no other reason, he's the only character I ever chose, and I still couldn't pull off half of his moves by the time I finished with it.

(Still had fun with it)

Yes, I admit that's a failing on my part, but going by my past experiences on playing as that dino dude from the third one. (I think... I might be completely wrong on that) and a few games on 6, it's even more complicated!

Probably won't buy this, I'll just hope that @Dcubed buys it and I can just play multiplayer with him instead.

Arcade fighter single player modes tend to suck anyway.

But Jesus Christ, people, this is Machamp! We have a playable Machamp! Who else, Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee? Maybe a few non-fighting types like Blastoise, Mewtwo or Charizard? Alakazam and Kangaskhan? Heracross?

Do we really need more Charizard? REALLY!?

I like Charizard as much as the next 90's kid, but jeez! Just once I'd like to see it left out of a game.

Charizard is totally going to be in, and it's going to have that lame X Mega evolution and Y is going to be ignored... AGAIN!

I know it was mentioned before, but the fact that Machamp is actually playable is pretty damn exciting.

That Pokemon gets overlooked so much.

But seemingly like a few other people here, it IS Tekken. And I am not the biggest fan of that series.

I kinda find it hard to memorise complicated combo inputs. Take Soul Calibur 2, I bought that for Link, no other reason, he's the only character I ever chose, and I still couldn't pull off half of his moves by the time I finished with it.

(Still had fun with it)

Yes, I admit that's a failing on my part, but going by my past experiences on playing as that dino dude from the third one. (I think... I might be completely wrong on that) and a few games on 6, it's even more complicated!

Probably won't buy this, I'll just hope that @Dcubed buys it and I can just play multiplayer with him instead.

Arcade fighter single player modes tend to suck anyway.

Do we really need more Charizard? REALLY!?

I like Charizard as much as the next 90's kid, but jeez! Just once I'd like to see it left out of a game.

Charizard is totally going to be in, and it's going to have that lame X Mega evolution and Y is going to be ignored... AGAIN!

Mega Charizard Y is seen all the time in battles, while Mega Charizard X isn't. Let X have more exposure :p

Also, it's not exactly Tekken. Harada said that the usual mechanics of Tekken aren't involved

Q: Is it true that Tekken characters [will] be making guest appearances in Pokemon/Pokken Tournament?

Harada: Ha, ha, ha. Nope, Tekken characters will not be making an appearance.

Harada: As we're making a Pokemon fighting action battle game, I've already touched on this while on the livestream, but in this game there will not be a high/mid/low guard system mechanic. Instead, we're planning to include a new type of [mechanic]

Q: -As it's a fighting game, I'm a little worried that the roster will be full of humanoid-looking Pokemon.. I'd rather be surprised with unexpected picks instead.

Harada: That's not a problem at all. Technologically-speaking, we shouldn't face any problems in implementing whatever Pokemon we want. In terms of the system mechanics, we'll be looking at what fans would want, so please rest assured.

Q: Congrats on making Pokken a reality! And thank you for that! Rather than tweet you a request, today I've got a bit of a query: in Pokken Tournament it seems like Pokemon trainers do not exist? It's not that I'm requesting for them to make an appearance, but rather I'd just like to find out if that's the case.

Harada: Worry not.

Edited by Serebii

One idea I had was for different evolutions to play a part in the scale issue - picked Charizard while the opposition chose Pikachu? Maybe you fight as Charmander with the same moveset.

Snorlax please.

(Still had fun with it)

With both Tekken and Soul Calibur, I always thought it was a shame that more people didn't use the L1/L2/R1/R2 shortcuts. That way, you don't need to memorize that many inputs, instead you get 8 buttons with which to experiment, and learn movesets by simply...playing, instead of looking up move lists.

One idea I had was for different evolutions to play a part in the scale issue - picked Charizard while the opposition chose Pikachu? Maybe you fight as Charmander with the same moveset.

Snorlax please.

What if Charizard has moves that depend on having wings. What will Charmander do?

Honestly, I think they might include guys like Pikachu, but only as a joke character, like Gon.

tekken3gon%20tanaka.JPG

Mega Charizard Y is seen all the time in battles, while Mega Charizard X isn't. Let X have more exposure :p

More!? You're joking, right?

People use Y in the meta-game because Y is way more useful than X. Dat Drought!

Everywhere else though, X has gotten all the exposure!

I blame Pokemon Origin for it.

mega-charizard-x-pokemon-origins.png

Trawled through all the pre-release screenshots for Ruby and Sapphire on your site, didn't find any of Y, but I did find this...

megacharizard2.jpg

Meanwhile, in Pokemon Art Academy, Mega Charizard Y has a reference in Free Paint, so that's something.

artacademy2.jpg

Of course, X has a full blown lesson. So much for that...

Seeing as how everyone uses Y in X/Y, naturally you'd use Y in Smash Bros... Oh wait...

MegaCharizardX.jpg

My point is that in terms of advertising, they need to tone down the Mega Charizard X. In fact, just tone down Charizard.

With both Tekken and Soul Calibur, I always thought it was a shame that more people didn't use the L1/L2/R1/R2 shortcuts. That way, you don't need to memorize that many inputs, instead you get 8 buttons with which to experiment, and learn movesets by simply...playing, instead of looking up move lists.

Honestly, I think they might include guys like Pikachu, but only as a joke character, like Gon.

tekken3gon%20tanaka.JPG

See, had no idea that was a thing. Not exactly clear when it comes to explaining the controls, if I remember rightly.

Oh! That's the character I always chose.

Let's face it, I was a 7 year old boy when I played it, of course I chose Gon!

Scyther would be cool in this! :D

Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan,

Raichu finally?

(Can you tell I've only played Pokémon Red/Blue :p)

It would be funny if this had something similar to MK's Babalities and Friendlies and say Charizard devolved into Charmander for it :p Of course if it had finishing moves they could be epic! And hopefully multi level stages maybe?

There's a NicoNico stream on Friday at 12:30pm that will have Harada and Hoshino in it showing off various things about this game.

Maybe the Wii U version will be revealed in it, though not likely.

If Hawlucha isn't in the roster, I officially declare this a failure.

It seems like such an obvious choice to me.

(Also would be cool to see renders like Lucario and Machamp, detailed feathers please!)

Whether I buy the eventual WiiU game hinges on whether the single player content is around the same level as Soul Calibur 2. And I get the feeling it won't be.

Suicune and Gardevoir confirmed!

Did not see Suicune coming!

EDIT: Also Pikachu, but that one was expected. Render looks hilarious though.

I really want to see that trailer with sound and in better quality but it looked rather nice. Also very surprised to see Suicune!

I'm pleasantly surprised at what I'm seeing! It's NOT Tekken! :D

It reminds me of Powerstone, only without the jank and without the ugly unlikable cast!

Also looks like a great fit for Hyrule Warriors style 2 player, with the Gamepad showing a completely different view from the TV for the 2nd player...

cgXj1aC.gif

... and yes, Pikachu's animations are hilarious :laughing:

Edited by Dcubed

cgXj1aC.gif

Interest in Pokken Tournament, rising... :laughing:

My god, Pikachu is hilarious in this.

The fact that it's not Tekken has made interest levels skyrocket. Will be keeping a very close eye on this now.

Will this actually be available 1) For the Wii U, and 2) In this country?

Almost guaranteed. Given how the 2-Player works (Separate screen for each player), it feels like it was made with the WiiU in mind.

As for getting released over here, why not? Both Tekken and Pokemon seem to get released over here.

I'd be very surprised if not