NEurope
Serebii

Pokken Tournament (Wii U Spring 2016)

Anything but another Mystery Dungeon.

OK, can someone please clarify that I'm not the only one who actually likes the games?

Ranger is fun though. Even if it is too easy and can get a bit repetitive at times. I'd be cool with that.

Which is why most people think it's gonna be that Pikachu detective game.

And we've come full circle!

Way too soon for that though. They said they were aiming for Summer 2015. Spin-off games also tend to just have a couple of months from reveal to release.

I'll be long in the cold cold ground before a big developer actually gets ahead of schedule in development of a game.

The Ranger series is godlike. I so hope it's another one of those.

I would love a Wii U Ranger. Imagine it, with the capture on the GamePad while things happen on the TV

So you don't like Roguelikes? Understandable. PMD is considered on the more lenient side of Roguelike games as far as I know.

And I don't think I ever spent more than an hour on any one dungeon in any of the games.

OK, except the 3DS one. But that's more because of the atrocious text speed.

And I like how unforgiving it can be. I prefer it to how forgiving it is in the mainline games. Where there are almost no downsides to losing, apart from some money loss, which has been lessened recently.

The risk makes it appealing to me.

Yup. Pretty much spot on here. It's basically a beginner's Roguelike with Pokemon mechanics tossed in for good measure.

I'm not a fan of the really harsh roguelikes like Shiren the Wanderer, because they're just utterly ridiculous (seriously!? Die once and start the entire game over again from level 1!? Fuck that! :shakehead), but the PKMD games strike a nice balance for me. They're not easy and the difficulty gets pretty nutso in the later optional dungeons, but the penalties are never unbearably harsh like in most other roguelikes :)

The Pokemon battle mechanics are also integrated well too and go a long way towards spicing the gameplay up (though the catching part can be pretty BS if you're after specific Pokemon - especially the legendaries and Kecleon!), while the randomly generated dungeons and crazy luck based enemy encounters keep you on your toes (though the penalties aren't that harsh, the games aren't afraid to kill you out of nowhere!)

Also they have ridiculously good soundtracks, and surprisingly good stories too, with lots of well written and lovable characters! What's not to like? :D

Way too soon for that though. They said they were aiming for Summer 2015. Spin-off games also tend to just have a couple of months from reveal to release.

I'll be long in the cold cold ground before a big developer actually gets ahead of schedule in development of a game.

Tell that to Pokemon Battle Link (which was announced as a pre-production prototype at the same time as when they showed off GDPikachu), which was announced well before it was released in any region.

It's the most likely candidate to be shown here out of everything that we know. Genius Sonority and Jupiter have been busy recently with their own games they've just put out (Denpa Men Free and Picross e5 respectively) and Creatures are probably the team developing GDPikachu...

Those are the most likely candidates to be making a Pokemon spinoff (outside of Namco with Pokken, but this doesn't seem like the appropriate place to announce something like this - a Famitsu announcement better fits something like GDPikachu... nor is it the right time to announce a Pokemon fighting game right before the release of Smash Bros...), so all signs point towards it being the game shown off here, despite it not being due for a good while...

Edited by Dcubed

I would love a Wii U Ranger. Imagine it, with the capture on the GamePad while things happen on the TV

Indeed. As mentioned earlier, the GamePad and the series are a perfect fit. It makes too much sense.

Indeed. As mentioned earlier, the GamePad and the series are a perfect fit. It makes too much sense.

Reason enough to not do it :p

Would be much easier to enslave 'mon with a bigger screen.

Would be much easier to enslave 'mon with a bigger screen.

Just think of them HD circles! They could have you overlaying Miiverse circle pictures to catch the bigger Pokemon too!

I picked up Mystery Dungeon on 3DS, I'd never played one before and it looked decent enough. It was also part of the 3DS promotion, so if I got that, it meant I could download Fire Emblem for free (which I actually wanted).

I played it for 2 or 3 hours, waiting for things to pick up but they just never did. Such a crap game. But I sold it on eBay for £24, so I only lost £6 on it and got Fire Emblem in the process. Wasn't too bad of an outcome.

And @Serebii - What's the likeness that this will be a game/actually come to the west? I'm really hoping it's not some movie, or animé reboot (again?). Or even worse, something that looks amazing that doesn't come out over here. I'm still upset about Hey You, Pikachu!

I picked up Mystery Dungeon on 3DS, I'd never played one before and it looked decent enough. It was also part of the 3DS promotion, so if I got that, it meant I could download Fire Emblem for free (which I actually wanted).

I played it for 2 or 3 hours, waiting for things to pick up but they just never did. Such a crap game. But I sold it on eBay for £24, so I only lost £6 on it and got Fire Emblem in the process. Wasn't too bad of an outcome.

And @Serebii - What's the likeness that this will be a game/actually come to the west? I'm really hoping it's not some movie, or animé reboot (again?). Or even worse, something that looks amazing that doesn't come out over here. I'm still upset about Hey You, Pikachu!

It's very likely to be a game. Famitsu's stream is always about a game and it's listed as "Game - Other" on the Japanese site.

As for likelihood it coming to the west is high. Only a handful of Pokémon games have not made it out of Japan. Here's the list:

Pokémon Stadium (The first one had really limited functionality, so they held off)

Pokémon Card Game GB2: Here Comes Team Great Rocket (Came out just when the issues between Wizards of the Coast and Pokémon Company started, so rights prevented it)

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon WiiWare (No idea why this never made it)

Band of Thieves & 1000 Pokémon (Ok, this could still make it, but it's unlikely. It requires so many StreetPasses to succeed)

There was also Pokémon Card Game: How To Play DS and Pokémon Tretta Lab, but they were just utilities to support other things, i.e. the TCG and Pokémon Tretta.

It won't be a TCG game, at least it shouldn't really be. There already is a big online thing of it with code cards coming in every booster to unlock an online booster pack (contents will differ)

It won't be a TCG game, at least it shouldn't really be. There already is a big online thing of it with code cards coming in every booster to unlock an online booster pack (contents will differ)

Yep, and they're porting the PC game to the iPad too, which is causing the entire Internet to explode in ridiculous "Nintendo making games on iPad" bull.

Regarding that app though, what is the deal with the Pokémon Company and the app store? I know they are partly owned by Nintendo, but not fully, so if they did want to make a game for iOS (even just a spin-off title) would they be able to? Or would they have to get permission from Nintendo? Or is there something in the contract outright saying it can't happen?

I know they've done some stuff on phones already but none of it an actual game so I'm just curious.

I think this will be an online version of Stadium for Wii U. Would make sense since they can then do the big screen tournaments on it rather than the awful 3DS TV outputs.

Maybe this Pokken thing will be somehow linked to it. In fact, maybe all we were seeing in the much hyped teaser is Stadium 12 or whatever number they're on now.

Edited by Guy

Regarding that app though, what is the deal with the Pokémon Company and the app store? I know they are partly owned by Nintendo, but not fully, so if they did want to make a game for iOS (even just a spin-off title) would they be able to? Or would they have to get permission from Nintendo? Or is there something in the contract outright saying it can't happen?

I know they've done some stuff on phones already but none of it an actual game so I'm just curious.

They would need approval from Nintendo for that.

I'm throwing money at my (GamePad) screen but nothing's happening. :(

I really, really, REALLY hope this will be the announcement of a spin-off game for the Wii U - I'm finally 100% done with Pokémon Rumble U after completing my figurine collection, and I need more HD Pokémon in my life! Just give us PokéPark 3 and/or Ranger 4 already... D:

Edited by FireMeowth

Its kinda sad how we naturally lower our expectations when it comes to imaging what a "shocking surprise" might be. :/

I dismiss the Pokeparks and Mystery Dungeons... I only want POKEMON STADIUM 3 or a POKEMON ADVENTURE... on Wii U AND Pokemon Snap... Surely that game just takes a month to make?

It's very likely to be a game. Famitsu's stream is always about a game and it's listed as "Game - Other" on the Japanese site.

As for likelihood it coming to the west is high. Only a handful of Pokémon games have not made it out of Japan. Here's the list:

Pokémon Stadium (The first one had really limited functionality, so they held off)

Pokémon Card Game GB2: Here Comes Team Great Rocket (Came out just when the issues between Wizards of the Coast and Pokémon Company started, so rights prevented it)

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon WiiWare (No idea why this never made it)

Band of Thieves & 1000 Pokémon (Ok, this could still make it, but it's unlikely. It requires so many StreetPasses to succeed)

There was also Pokémon Card Game: How To Play DS and Pokémon Tretta Lab, but they were just utilities to support other things, i.e. the TCG and Pokémon Tretta.

*Waits for Serebii to realise he's missed the most obvious game on his list*

Its kinda sad how we naturally lower our expectations when it comes to imaging what a "shocking surprise" might be. :/

I dismiss the Pokeparks and Mystery Dungeons... I only want POKEMON STADIUM 3 or a POKEMON ADVENTURE... on Wii U AND Pokemon Snap... Surely that game just takes a month to make?

Do you not like the Ranger series?

Do you not like the Ranger series?

Never tried it to be fair. :) But would still probably prefer a Wii U adventure of Stadium.

Typical... You would play the worst one of the lot. I'd say try Explorers of Sky or Blue Rescue Team, but something tells me you're not gonna bother.

The 3DS game only starts to get interesting about 2 thirds into the game. (I mean, all PMD games take a while before getting going, but this one took the cake) After that, it's quite decent, but then ends all too quickly.

It does have the strangest final battle in all of Pokemon history. That's not an opinion, by the way. That's a fact.

Bittercold_Core_PMDGTI.png

Some kind of... snow crystal thing? Eh?

Also, seeing as you'll never finish it, remember that Munna? One of the main villains.

Typical... You would play the worst one of the lot. I'd say try Explorers of Sky or Blue Rescue Team, but something tells me you're not gonna bother.

The 3DS game only starts to get interesting about 2 thirds into the game. (I mean, all PMD games take a while before getting going, but this one took the cake) After that, it's quite decent, but then ends all too quickly.

It does have the strangest final battle in all of Pokemon history. That's not an opinion, by the way. That's a fact.

Bittercold_Core_PMDGTI.png

Some kind of... snow crystal thing? Eh?

Also, seeing as you'll never finish it, remember that Munna? One of the main villains.

Bahahahaha. The 3DS isn't the worst one. The WiiWare one is.

Bahahahaha. The 3DS isn't the worst one. The WiiWare one is.

Fair enough...

Worst one in Europe then. As much as I love Mystery Dungeon, even I could tell the WiiWare one was garbage just by looking at it.

I just don't like Mystery Dungeon gameplay. I've actually wanted to try the series for a while (the whole setting sounds incredibly appealing), but I just find the dungeon crawling aspect to be boring and unimpressive.