NEurope
Daft

Hellblade

5 hours ago, Nolan said:

Finally diving into this over the long weekend. Quite liking it so far. Went through Surt, and now into Valravn. Tense as fuck, the atmosphere is just dripping they've layered it on so thick. It's wonderful, sends shivers down my spine. 

Anyone else pick this up yet or not?( @Hero of Time) it definitely is deserving of the praise it's received. 

I plan on picking it up at some point. I'm secretly hoping it gets a physical release but i'm also quite happy to wait for a price drop as I have a bunch of other PS4 games waiting to be played.

Ninja Theory have announced that this has now sold just over 500,000 copies across PC and PS4 (there's some figures rolling around on ResetEra of just under 200K sales on Steam and just over 300K on both GoG and PSN) and has not only broke even but is now in profit. So not just a good day for Ninja Theory but also for the industry in showing that a game of this nature can be profitable in the current market and means that AA games have a viable market out there. Hellblade may be a unique title for a AA game, with the themes and issues it tackles, so it's hard to say what the wider implications could be for other dev teams possibly taking on this type of game design but there's definitely room there to make a go of it. And if it means more interesting and unique experiences then I say it's something that should be considered.

For me, Hellblade was an incredible game, one that hit home heavily with me on several of the issues it portrayed and my own experiences with mental health issues and seeing such deference to that topic and how the game has impacted and helped others has been incredible to see. If it wasn't for Horizon, this would easily be my GotY but it sits there right behind it and is without a doubt the most impactful game I've played. Ninja Theory and all involved should be incredibly proud of what they produced.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The game is now on sale for £16.99. I finally picked it up.

21 bucks in Germany. Might go for it. I'll have until the 12th to decide, it seems :D

I finished the game this morning and found the whole experience to be disturbing and weird. It's not as if I didn't understand what the game was trying to portray either. I've suffered from severe depression for around 4 years now. I try not to let it get in the way of work and my free time ( its why I go running, hit he gym a lot and play plenty of games, to keep my mind occupied )  but i'm certainly no stranger to feeling a surrounding darkness and voices telling you that you're no good. I dunno, maybe some of the subjects being explored here were hitting too close to the mark for me.

Another thing I didn't care for was some of the gruesome imagery that the game showed. Seeing dead bodies hanging from the ceiling, walking through blood, flashes of corpses on the screen, all of these things were really off putting. It comes back to what I mentioned in another topic about graphics being far too realistic for their own good.

Where the game truly shines though is the audio. Playing the game with a pair of earphones or headset is a must. The way the voices speaking to you and give you direction, warnings or generally just put you down or mock you is done amazingly well.

I appreciate the effort that has gone into the game. It looks and sounds amazing and Ninja Theory obviously done a lot of work and research into mental illness when making the game but sadly the game just wasn't for me. At least the platinum was pretty easy. :D 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

but sadly the game just wasn't for me. At least the platinum was pretty easy. :D

The last statement contradicts the first :p

Didn't buy it as I'm still working through Skyrim and I fear my backlog will increase anyway with the inevitable PSN Christmas sale so...

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 1