NEurope
Retro_Link

Tearaway Unfolded (PS4)

Camera required or not?

Anyway, looks amazing.

Will play Tearaway on my Vita soon. :yay:

The Vita game was criminally under appreciated. I have high hopes for this.

Camera required or not?
The trailer does only show the controller for methods of interaction, so I think that's all you need.

Over the moon with this announcement, my favourite game on the Vita and one of my games of the year last year. This game deserves to be played by more people, it's so good.

Will definitely pick this one up. It had Nintendo all over it, or rather "old Nintendo".

Looked great, as did the Vita game, so much invention in the game.

Will definitely pick this one up. It had Nintendo all over it, or rather "old Nintendo".

I think Media Molecule are as close as you can get to "old Nintendo", such a creative developer. The Vita game used virtually every feature the Vita had to offer and implemented them brilliantly, I'm expecting them to do the same with the PS4 version as well.

Now this is a weird one. It's like a remixed version of the original game, with the Vita specific gameplay elements being jettisoned in favour of DS4 specific ones and levels redesigned to accommodate that, while still featuring the same settings and story...

Reminds me of Castlevania Rondo of Blood being turned into Castlevania Dracula X on SNES... Been a while since we've seen something like this!

I thought that this looked lovely yesterday. Genuinely a fun game. Strangely, it was the type of game I was expecting to see on the WiiU, but nevermind.

I thought that this looked lovely yesterday. Genuinely a fun game. Strangely, it was the type of game I was expecting to see on the WiiU, but nevermind.

How did H-o-T put it:

MM showing Nintendo how to make use of a pads features! :D

It's amazing how the DS4 isn't even the main selling point of the PS4 and it still gets utilized better than the Wii U's Gamepad :laughing:

How did H-o-T put it:

It's amazing how the DS4 isn't even the main selling point of the PS4 and it still gets utilized better than the Wii U's Gamepad :laughing:

I wouldn't quite go that far, as it's really only the one game. But yeah, that type of usability was something I was expecting from the GamePad.

Saying that, the touch-pad is used in every game that I've come across so far, usually to bring up a map (Tomb Raider, WatchDogs) or to bring up the crafting screen in The Last of Us...or the BattleLog in BF4. So, it is used well.

I love the quirkiness and inventiveness of Tearaway's UI, but I did get bored with it pretty quickly once that novelty wore off. I guess I'm not the kind that can just be kept on board by fun controls (probably why I hardly bought any Wii games). That said I do intend to go back and give it another go.

I wouldn't quite go that far, as it's really only the one game. But yeah, that type of usability was something I was expecting from the GamePad.

I think the DS4 is used incredibly well (and subtle) in other games, too.

Currently playing Infamous and using the controller as a spraycan is pretty cool :D

And then there will be Hotline Miami. Shaking the controller for executions. Neat.

And all those little things - like the speaker being used for audiorecords or sound effects, the light which changes colour depending on the game's surroundings, shaking the controller - are subtle, yet help immersing you into the game.

This is what I want from the Gamepad, but it hasn't been done, yet.

Currently playing Infamous and using the controller as a spraycan is pretty cool :D

And then there will be Hotline Miami. Shaking the controller for executions. Neat.

And all those little things - like the speaker being used for audiorecords or sound effects, the light which changes colour depending on the game's surroundings, shaking the controller - are subtle, yet help immersing you into the game.

This is what I want from the Gamepad, but it hasn't been done, yet.

The light is used really well in The Last of Us. The speaker is used for Tomb Raider, for the logs. Think it's actually used in The Last of Us during one section where you find a tape recorder. It is all very subtle and nicely done.

Hmmm looks good......maybe i should give Tearaway another chance, i really hated the game on Vita, well i loved the style but the demo gave me no love for the gameplay, it was boring....maybe i gave up too soon

because this looks pretty awesome!

I love the quirkiness and inventiveness of Tearaway's UI, but I did get bored with it pretty quickly once that novelty wore off. I guess I'm not the kind that can just be kept on board by fun controls (probably why I hardly bought any Wii games). That said I do intend to go back and give it another go.

Yeah, that echoes my own thoughts about the game. Beyond the beautiful visuals and the myriad of Ooh-Neat tech demoey uses of the Vita's hardware functions, the actual core gameplay is incredibly basic and barebones. You have basic jumping and picking up/carrying/throwing and both don't aspects don't really move beyond the basic actions you'd expect from the start - likewise, the game shows more or less its full hand from the start in regards to gameplay functions from the Vita's unique controls and doesn't really introduce much from there either...

I would hope that this second chance would allow them to actually build something more complex and engaging than the original, but MM's credentials lie in pretty much all aspects other than core gameplay really... (nobody in their right mind would consider LBP to be a good platformer in of itself after all - it's a great level creation tool, but not a good platformer).

Still, if this move is indicative of a wider shift of Vita-PS4 remakes/ports, you know what game I'd love to see get the same treatment?

3886255-4d41e7dcc62f27243222b80007652f74_spd_20140612111758_b.jpg

Now THAT's a game with really great core gameplay! :D

Edited by Dcubed

I personally thought Tearaway was a charming and refreshing game, that fully utilised the Vitas unique features. These new ways to play and interact with the game never felt tacked on or gimmicky. An absolute joy to play and I look forward to seeing what MM can do with the PS4 pad!

And all those little things - like the speaker being used for audiorecords or sound effects, the light which changes colour depending on the game's surroundings, shaking the controller - are subtle, yet help immersing you into the game

The speaker aside, I can't see how those are 'immersive' features. Anything that draws your attention away from the screen and makes you think about the input is the complete opposite, for me. I'm not saying they aren't worth having in some situations, but I don't think they're conducive to immersion at all.

The speaker aside, I can't see how those are 'immersive' features. Anything that draws your attention away from the screen and makes you think about the input is the complete opposite, for me. I'm not saying they aren't worth having in some situations, but I don't think they're conducive to immersion at all.

Hm, I don't think it draws your attention away from the screen as the control inputs are fairly simple. Touching the pad, shaking the controller...it's like pressing a button.

I really don't have to think about the input. It's second nature to me. :)

I'm always very conscious of the input for something like shaking the controller. Games like Flower are fine because that is the way you control the whole game, but most games with shaky stuff splice it in randomly. The Hotline Miami crap just sounds stupid and less efficient than a button press. What'll be quicker - three taps of a button, or three shakes of the controller? It'll take longer to register the controller movement, and longer to register mentally that you need to even perform a physical action.

Transistor has brilliant DS4 implementation, and it's so simple. Your weapon in the game talks to you through the speaker and the light throbs to his speech. It's subtle but it's such a perfect parallel with you and the game's protagonist.

I'm always very conscious of the input for something like shaking the controller. [...] What'll be quicker - three taps of a button, or three shakes of the controller? It'll take longer to register the controller movement, and longer to register mentally that you need to even perform a physical action.

If you're conscious of the input then I get what you're saying. I don't have that problem, though.

Tapping a button may be quicker but that wasn't really the argument at hand :p Physically shaking the controller will definitely make me more immersed in the sense that it "feels" more like bashing someone's skull against the floor than pushing buttons.

Well, I do get your point, though. To each their own :)

But it is important in Hotline Miami because it requires lightning fast reactions. Once you've been creamed into the wall a dozen times in a row and you've taken down the guy with shaky shake on the thirteenth attempt at the level, you aren't gonna feel jack about being immersed. It's like using the Wii Controller for FPS games - it's fun, it looks and functions more like a firearm, but when push comes to shove it is less efficient and you stop caring about what you're holding (and not in a positive sense of immersion, rather an absence of thought or noticeable difference in feeling with the new controller). It's very superficial.

It's not that big a deal at the end of the day, the features don't necessarily dampen enjoyment or anything, but I'm wary of seeing them used as selling points. To me it seems as if people readily buy the marketing terms like immersion without properly considering what they actually mean.

Edited by dwarf