NEurope
Happenstance

A Link to the Past or Super Metroid?

Im carrying on building my retro collection at the moment and am planning to get both of these obviously but only really want to buy one at the moment as they tend to be about £30 each. I have played both before but never completed either of them and cant decide which to get.

Decide for me.

Super Metroid. That game is ageless, and one of the best of all time, deservedly so.

Can I throw a curveball and say Chrono Trigger?

Edit: If your SNES is PAL, you'd either need an NTSC to PAL adapter cartridge or a US SNES.

Edited by Sheikah

Can I throw a curveball and say Chrono Trigger?

I would love to get Chrono Trigger but thats more expensive than the other two

Edit: If your SNES is PAL, you'd either need an NTSC to PAL adapter cartridge or a US SNES.

There are PAL copies of Chrono Trigger so I wouldnt necessarily need a US SNES but I will be playing these on a Retron 5 anyway so regions wont matter.

Edited by Happenstance

I have a Link to the Past SNES cartridge available if you want it..? If you're looking for a boxed copy, I can't help you there but if it's only the cartridge you need, give me a shout :heh:

To be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of it so my vote goes with Super Metroid :hehe:

I have a Link to the Past SNES cartridge available if you want it..? If you're looking for a boxed copy, I can't help you there but if it's only the cartridge you need, give me a shout :heh:

To be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of it so my vote goes with Super Metroid :hehe:

How much would you want for it?

There are PAL copies of Chrono Trigger so I wouldnt necessarily need a US SNES but I will be playing these on a Retron 5 anyway so regions wont matter.

By the way, I think those could be fake since the SNES game never got a PAL release.

By the way, I think those could be fake since the SNES game never got a PAL release.

I always had it in my head that it did, no idea why then. The PAL copies I was seeing on ebay were from Spain or Portugal anyway and a lot of stuff had been popping up from there lately so I was already warey on those.

I'll just have to keep an eye out for a good deal on a US copy then.

I've played both, i'd say go for A Link to the Past. I enjoyed it more and got more from it than i did with Super Metroid.

They're both fantastic games and it's not the easiest thing to decide. Well actually it is, for me. Super Metroid all the way. It's only like the greatest game EVER! You can't go wrong with either though.

Chrono Trigger I bought on VC in the last year. While very good, it doesn't hold a candle to the other 2 and I thought Secret Of Mana was much better. Maybe time has clouded my judgement. I don't think it has though.

I also finished Earthbound yesterday. Loved it. Brilliant game and made all the more enjoyable because of Wii U and the gamepad. It's great for viewing the games and creating a restore save state was very helpful. Loved the music.

For me, it's LttP hands down every time. I'm heavily biased though, having got it in my youth under magic circumstances and it having sorta been my first Zelda. Super Metroid's very good too, but I feel LttP has more in the way of story, exploration, etc(IF you want to do it, ofc).

They're both fantastic games and it's not the easiest thing to decide. Well actually it is, for me. Super Metroid all the way. It's only like the greatest game EVER! You can't go wrong with either though.

Chrono Trigger I bought on VC in the last year. While very good, it doesn't hold a candle to the other 2 and I thought Secret Of Mana was much better. Maybe time has clouded my judgement. I don't think it has though.

Did you finish CT? I've never found anyone who did who didn't think it was one of the greatest games of all time.

LTTP is great, but the N64 3D Zelda games were so much more fun for me.

LTTP is great, but the N64 3D Zelda games were so much more fun for me.

I came to the 3D Zelda games first as I had a Mega Drive growing up but never managed to get into them really. Wind Waker is the one ive enjoyed the most but Ive still got that to finish as well.

I did really enjoy and complete A Link Between Worlds though which is why I think I should like LttP once I get more than 10 minutes into it (which is how much I always seem to play either on emulator or the Wii U VC)

Get A Link to the Past first and then get Super Metroid afterwards. If you win the lottery or rob a bank, get Chrono Trigger.

Basically, all three should be played. I've got A Link to the Past on the SNES (I'm sure I have it), Super Metroid on Wii VC and Chrono Trigger on DS. But yes, start with ALttP.

Don't forget Final Fantasy III (aka 6) too! Apart from the rare GBA version (which I own), the easy to find/download PS1 versions suffer terrible loading issues, so that's one definitely worth getting.

Yeah these are all games I'm keeping an eye out for, just a shame that so many are expensive these days.

Super Metroid is great game alright, more so for its time, but I feel a lot of its elements were surpassed by Zero Mission and I still don't get on with Samus' floaty jumps.

A Link to the Past, however, still sits at the top of the Zelda tree and can go toe to toe with almost any game and come out victorious - that includes Super Metroid.

Super Metroid is great game alright, more so for its time, but I feel a lot of its elements were surpassed by Zero Mission and I still don't get on with Samus' floaty jumps.

A Link to the Past, however, still sits at the top of the Zelda tree and can go toe to toe with almost any game and come out victorious - that includes Super Metroid.

Funny, I feel the other way around: most other 2D Zeldas feel and play better than LttP, while Super Metroid still feels great.

No game matches the atmosphere of Super Metroid. It should always be anyone's choice, regardless of question asked.

"Cookie or crisps?"

"Give me Super Metroid".

Yeah I've got to say Super Metroid. It's a sort of experience that hasn't been diluted by the mass proliferation of games in either it's series or of its type. There's just nothing like it, whereas every Zelda game since LTTP has taken it as its template.

In the end I ended up with both thanks to nando so I guess now the question is which do I play first? lol

Still voting lttp :p

One plus to a boxed original lttp(assuming) is it should contain manual(as standard) but also the flippable overworld map and if super hardcore the little 'DO NOT OPEN EXCEPT IN EMERGENCY' book of secrets(or something like that, sticker sealed on a seam orignally) - those few things really added to the magic for me as a kid. Naturally i opened the secrets booklet straight away.