NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Assassins Creed: Rogue

So, this is out end of the week along with Unity. Anyone else picking it up, or is it just me?.

I'll probably get it cheap on PC in a sale in a few years. Interesting to hear though that Ubisoft didnt bother sending out review copies of Rogue. Really is a bit of a pointless title.

Ubisoft emailed my student paper email address a couple of weeks ago to say review copies of Rogue were available for request.

Am I fuck going to do that, though.

Looks like the kind of game with nothing new going on for it. The sort of title to just shift some copies to people who haven't hopped to next gen yet.

Basically, just play AC4.

So, this is out end of the week along with Unity. Anyone else picking it up, or is it just me?.

I am. Looking forward to more sailing action.

I am. Looking forward to more sailing action.

I'm kind of looking forward to filling in that gap between how an Assassin order became close to non-existent. And of course, more sailing.

I'll be playing Rogue before Unity, because this seems like it's intended to be played first, and I need order in my life.

But after playing Black Flag on the PS4 I don't really want to go backwards technologically, so I'll probably just wait a couple of months for the inevitable announcement of a next-gen port.

I just finished Black Flag two weeks ago anyway, so I'm set for a while.

Is this really supposed to look good?

vlcsnap_2014_11_17_22h43m08s24.jpg

Even without any islands in frame, give me this any day...

jMJ0GsDuNO9Pl.jpg

I don't know much about Rogue, but Black Flag looks pretty awesome from what I saw of Ine playing it.

Assassins_Creed_IV_Black_Flag2013-11-17-23-21-20.jpg

2495908-assassins-creed-iv-black-flag_2013_06-10-13_003.jpg

20995.jpg

Looked wonderful.

It would look better if you hadn't smeared Vaseline all over the screenshot for some reason.

I finished this yesterday

Playing as an Assassin-turned Templar is certainly not that different from playing as an Assassin, except you are being hunted Assassin's (Stalkers) at all times, they can be located using the sense thing. If they spot you first, they attack you which can be iffy during a mission. And weapons are a little different, i like the new Shrapnal/Sleep/Berserk gun that goes along with the dart gun.

The story of Rogue is the selling point in my eyes. It's interesting seeing Shay go from Assassin to Templar, especially after the mission where Lisbon gets destroyed due to the Assassin's. Doing the work of the Templar instead gives you a thought on maybe the Templars are correct, the Assassin's could be wrong. There are 2 familiar locations in this game, New York and the Homestead from AC-III. You can't access Achilles secret Assassin lair, but the rest of the house and grounds are fully explorable. The later parts of the game get interesting, especially when Shay goes after all the Assassin's in the form of his 3 trainers. And a teaser in the form of why Shay is in Paris, France and how Unity starts (see the above image i snapped yesterday

The rest of the game, well it feels like a watered down Black Flag. Yes, you get forts and gang hideouts to conqure between missions. And you get countless collectables, but some are pointless in getting. Especially the treasure chests, seeing as money is accrued from simply waiting a small amount of time. You do get to blow up ice bergs and barge through ice, which is fun (albeit not enough ice). And there are a few side missions including funding building renovations and intecepting Assassin contracts via pidgeons.

Combat, it's Black Flags engine so that's good. It will feel dated if you play Unity first then this.

On the flip side, it was made by the Ubisoft division responsible for porting games to PC. So it feels like not a lot of work went into making this, and it does show with Shay "locking up" when climbing a fence. And the main story is short, some Sequences being only 1 or two memories. And the entire modern-day sequences are exactly the same as Black Flags, just with a different puzzle.

In summary, it's good for what it is. A bit more work and it could have been better.

In terms of Black Flag looking better than this, well if you played Rogue on 360/PS3 it would look roughly the same.

I picked this up over the weekend and I've been really enjoying it. I loved Black Flag and while it's more of the same ( a few things here and there ) I'm actually enjoying the story more in this one.

Im on memory sequence 4 and I have to say, I love Shay, despite the shoddy accent. I just find him very likable and kind of seen his point of view when things went sour. Looking forward to seeing how things play out for him.

I was back and forth which one to play first but with the initial buggy release of Unity I went for this one. Most people said this was the one you should play first anyway. It's also paid off waiting a bit for Unity as Amazon have just put the Bastille Edition on sale for £36 (PS4). Yes, I snapped it up. Plenty of Creed to be played over the festive season then. :D

@Tales how are you enjoying it? I noticed you were on it the other day.

I'm enjoying it very much. I enjoyed Unity too(Platinum achieved btw!), but it's nice to explore less crowded towns again. Also great to be back on the ocean. Still as fun as in Black Flag. Trying to juggle this and another game on PC but I think I'll continue with Rogue tomorrow. I'm at the end of chapter 4 I think, around 20-25% in everything else. I was going to explore and collect as much as possible so to upgrade the ship, but I needed to progress the story to advance in the naval campaign.

I got Black Flag on WiiU and enjoyed it. Is Rogue as big as Black Flag, is there more to do, or about the same?

Shorter story(6 chapters) aside, it looks to be the same content wise. Instead one of one big Caribbean ocean though, it's divided into Atlantic Ocean and River Valley, plus a medium sized New York.

@Hero\-of\-Time, @Tales Glad to see you both enjoying this game, the story itself was the seller for me. And playing this first over Unity is the best way, as you'll see for yourselves.

@somme, as Tales said the map is divided up into 3 sections. You get 2 ocean-bearing maps (Atlantic and River Valley) and New York being the 3rd. The Atlantic is the one filled with Ice bergs and snow, the Valley has some snow and ice up the Northern part.

Content-wise, there is a lot to collect and to do. Including Hunting, Fort + Hideout Liberations (across all maps). These are quite enjoyable i must say. As it's been said, think of this as a direct sequel to Black Flag.

Ah OK cool, shall pick it up when I have some money then. For some reason I thought it was a small-ish sequel. Maybe because two games came out at once I made an assumption - glad it's pretty big with lots to do!

Finished the game today. Nice ending, I was wondering the whole game what this connection to Unity was and for a while thought I had just missed it. I actually think it's good I started with Unity first, made the ending more impactful.

Finished the game today. Nice ending, I was wondering the whole game what this connection to Unity was and for a while thought I had just missed it. I actually think it's good I started with Unity first, made the ending more impactful.

Nice one! You go for your platinum or just finish the story for now?

I'm on the last memory now. I was stuck on the ship battle in sequence six for a while. I must have been trying it for an hour before I realised I wasn't using my heavy shots. Once the penny had dropped I beat it first time.

Not sure whether to just finish the story and then mop up the trophies or do it the other way around.

I only have the miscellenious trophies left, the cheat-related ones, convoy/supply camp, templar map, abstergo computer and the grenade related trophies. Otherwise it's 100% for everything else. I think the progress tracker was at 95%. I really want to play Kindom Hearts now so I'll get the platinum later, maybe do parts of it tomorrow.

@Hero\-of\-Time , did you finish this? I had to give because the game glitched on me, and I mean the entire game and not a trophy. For some weird reason, the controller is completly unresponsive, except for start, right analog stick and triangle. Even more weird, when pressing start, every button magically works again, as well if back out to Abstergo. But on the main map and when replaying missions(which I can do from the start menu) most of the controller is unresponsive. When starting the game I'm sailing on the ocean on half sail not being to change speed or direction. It seems I'm still the only person experiencing this so no platinum for me, for now. Reinstalling the data doesn't change anything. Too much to do in the game to start all over again. Great game though. If it matters, I believe the last thing I did was equipping the templar armour before quitting.

Yeah, nabbed the platinum late last year. Fantastic game.

Shame about your issues. Can you not try restarting memory or loading another memory?

That's what I meant by mission. Just tried to replay the first memory, and it's same thing as in the world map. Most buttons and the left analog stick are unresponsive.