NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Resident Evil REmake HD

Had a nightmare going for the no save trophy. Tried on Christmas Eve and ended up getting killed by a dog. Thing pounced on me and for some reason I couldn't shake it off.

I tried again yesterday and was doing really well. I got all the way to the caves area and was near to where you fight Lisa, only for a Hunter to come out of nowhere and one shot me! I was playing on the easiest difficulty and he still killed me in one shot. I was about 2 hours in at this point. I just knocked the Playstation off and had a breather.

I decided to do my Chris run as the no save run was stressing me out. It felt great running around with the rocket launcher, not need to be careful and just generally blowing stuff up. One shotting the bosses was very satisfying, especially when Lisa is chasing you.

Going to try another Chris run today but only using my knife. Gonna be a big adjustment after being a death machine. :D

This is why I enjoy trophies/achievements. It's encouraging me to play in different ways. Yes, sometimes they can cause a headache ( no save run ) but if you're interested in them they really give a game some legs.

This is why I enjoy trophies/achievements. It's encouraging me to play in different ways. Yes, sometimes they can cause a headache ( no save run ) but if you're interested in them they really give a game some legs.

Completely agree. Sometimes it can turn a 10 hour single player campaign into a 40 hour marathon! As long as there aren't too many grindy achievements / trophies then I always go for them as best I can.

The worst for me though is 'compete in 6 billion online death matches' etc. would rather stick pins in my eyes!! :shakehead

Glad you're having fun with the remake, minus the no save run. Christ knows if it is even possible with how unpredictable this game can be!

I can't wait to get it.

Completely agree. Sometimes it can turn a 10 hour single player campaign into a 40 hour marathon! As long as there aren't too many grindy achievements / trophies then I always go for them as best I can.

The worst for me though is 'compete in 6 billion online death matches' etc. would rather stick pins in my eyes!! :shakehead

Yup, any online ones are pain in the butt, especially when it's about luck.

Knife only run complete!

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Although one part did my head in.

It was near the end where those insect/monkey things can attack you. I had to clear the area of them as you need to carry that capsule of fuel through the area. They kept swarming me and snapping my neck by hanging me from the ceiling. Got there eventually though.

The bosses were pretty easy. Even the Tyrant only took 12 stabs of the knife to put down. In fact, the Crimson zombie that comes out the coffin was a harder fight!

Rebecca and Jill had to die though. It made things much quicker and allowed me to skip the final battle. There were trophies for leaving them behind anyway, so everything was gravy.

I felt like Roberto off Futurama by the end of it all.

Just finished the game again but this time on Real Survival mode. The enemies do waaaaay more damage, the ammo and healing items are few and far between and to top it all off the chests are no longer magically linked together.

With the chests being the way they were it felt very much like I was playing Resident Evil Zero again. I had to remember where I was leaving items and eventually I figured it was easier to just leave certain ammo and health items where they were and then just pick them up as I needed them. This worked out well as it meant supplies were spread across the mansion, instead of being in one place.

During this run I also noticed that the MO Disc machines no longer look like GameCubes. :(

With that mode done I have now unlocked Invisible Enemy mode. Time for round 5! :D

Just finished the game again but this time on Real Survival mode. The enemies do waaaaay more damage, the ammo and healing items are few and far between and to top it all off the chests are no longer magically linked together.

With the chests being the way they were it felt very much like I was playing Resident Evil Zero again. I had to remember where I was leaving items and eventually I figured it was easier to just leave certain ammo and health items where they were and then just pick them up as I needed them. This worked out well as it meant supplies were spread across the mansion, instead of being in one place.

During this run I also noticed that the MO Disc machines no longer look like GameCubes. :(

With that mode done I have now unlocked Invisible Enemy mode. Time for round 5! :D

You've just reminded me of the greatest of all time feature in RE:O, the item dropping mechanic. Fantastic idea.

I'd love to play another game like that. Great game. :)

I'm slightly tempted to get this when it comes out now. REmake was such a fantastic experience. More than anything, I want a new Resident Evil title that takes the series back to its survival horror roots. What are the controls like for this? How do the characters move? (e.g. like the remake/clunky-ish mechanics or like RE4. I didn't mind the original's movement at all)

You've just reminded me of the greatest of all time feature in RE:O, the item dropping mechanic. Fantastic idea.

I'd love to play another game like that. Great game. :)

I'm slightly tempted to get this when it comes out now. REmake was such a fantastic experience. More than anything, I want a new Resident Evil title that takes the series back to its survival horror roots. What are the controls like for this? How do the characters move? (e.g. like the remake/clunky-ish mechanics or like RE4. I didn't mind the original's movement at all)

I hated the item dropping idea. I always forgot where I was putting stuff. It's a big reason why I only finished Zero once and never went back to it.

You can choose how the characters move. Both original and new movement schemes are in place in this game.

Invisible mode is nuts. Only picked up my first death mask and have already burnt through a bunch of defensive items due to invisible zombies grabbing me. :D

Invisible mode done!

It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. Unlike Real Survival where you had to play on the hardest difficulty, this mode let you pick the difficulty. I slammed it on the easiest setting and away I went.

Having 4 previous play throughs under my belt meant that I knew roughly where the enemies were at. It was still tricky as the auto aim was disabled ( just like Real Survival ) so I had to guess where the zombies were and then slowly aim at nothing. :D

There was a part in the caves where you have to use a broken flamethrower to open the door. At this point Lisa is roaming around the area and you have to dodge her, pull and switch and then find the door it opened and place the flamethrower. It was a bit of a nightmare as I couldn't see where she was coming from!

It was a very fun play through of the game and you get a special message from Mikami and a bunch of character concept art for finishing the games hardest mode. I would argue Real Survival was harder due to being stuck on the hardest difficulty but whatever.

That just leaves the no save run to do. Hopefully it will be a case of third time lucky for this run. It will be nice to unleash with the rocket launcher again. Both Real Survival and Invisible mode disabled that and the Samurai Edge. I can now be a walking death machine again.

No save run complete! With that done I have now earned my platinum. :yay:

I remembered where the Hunters were that got my the last time I tried doing this, so this time I just pegged it. The only other part that made my heart race was where you have to slowly carry the fuel canister. I cleared the area but I swear I heard a zombie approaching. This caused me to panic but I couldn't run with the thing in case it blew up.

This run also netted me my fastest time, which was 2 hours 13 minutes. Not surprising, I mean at this point I could probably do the game with my eyes closed. I'm actually shocked that isn't a trophy, given they encourage you to play just about every other way. :)

REALLY enjoyed playing through this again. Doing the game 6 times off the trot never felt like a hassle and I enjoyed every minute of it. It's been a while since I was so focused on finishing a game. It felt like old times.

It's easily been one of my favourite gaming experiences of the year and it's come right at the end. Saving the best till last. :D

You really don't need trophies to motivate you to do this, though... The journey is it's own reward.

@Fierce_LiNk Apparently Zero looks to be getting the HD treatment as well. Maybe I'll give it another shot and enjoy it more this time around. Wonder if the trophies are as mental as the ones on here? :D

@Fierce_LiNk Apparently Zero looks to be getting the HD treatment as well. Maybe I'll give it another shot and enjoy it more this time around. Wonder if the trophies are as mental as the ones on here? :D

Really?! Oh god, temptedings.

Oh my, oh my, give me Resident Evil 2, 3 and CV:X HD and I'll buy them. I'll buy eet all.

I really should come back on this forum more... Miss reading gaming convos... :(

Anyway, just seen @Aneres11 mention of me in here, Yeah I'm looking forward to playing this again. Love me some Resi, we had such a blast in our 'youth'.

I never did play res 2, 3 and CV though so would be great if they had a bit of a HD treatment! :)

I never did play res 2, 3 and CV though so would be great if they had a bit of a HD treatment! :)

Dude, you really owe to yourself to play through the ones you missed, especially 2. They were all dirt cheap on the PS3 before Christmas as well.

Dude, you really owe to yourself to play through the ones you missed, especially 2. They were all dirt cheap on the PS3 before Christmas as well.

I bow my head in shame!

The first time I ever played a Res was the gamecube re-make. I used to have the mansion layout imprinted in my head! So I played all the releases since then.

Loved them all bar 6, 6 was a bit poo (still got all the cheevos for it though).

Think I will hold off for a bit to see if they might get a new release, got loads of other games to be playing right now anyway!!

Well I never played 6 because of how crap it was meant to be....I'm looking forward to this and Revelations 2 though it's a good time to be a Resi fan.

Downloaded this e other night. Hardly had much time to play but got stuck in with it last night. Finding it completely annoying to be honest. Purely due to being on normal mode, which I know is probably a breeze to the likes of Hero :heh: but with the camera angle being so dodgy (it hasn't aged well) I find myself running away from a corridor of zombies only for the camera to switch and me ultimately running back into them!! :laughing: I laugh but really I'm :mad:

Also, the item slots thing is just so frustrating. I have all these items that I remember do something, but I don't know when I actually need them... So I'm fining new things and have no slots left so rather than just discarding them and forgetting where I've left them later on, I am trekking back to the item box but keep getting killed due to all the zombies there!! And I don't want to kill them coz I read I need to conserve ammo on normal mode.

Ugh. It's not the incredible experience I remember haha. But I shall keep plugging away!

Downloaded this e other night. Hardly had much time to play but got stuck in with it last night. Finding it completely annoying to be honest. Purely due to being on normal mode, which I know is probably a breeze to the likes of Hero :heh: but with the camera angle being so dodgy (it hasn't aged well) I find myself running away from a corridor of zombies only for the camera to switch and me ultimately running back into them!! :laughing: I laugh but really I'm :mad:

Also, the item slots thing is just so frustrating. I have all these items that I remember do something, but I don't know when I actually need them... So I'm fining new things and have no slots left so rather than just discarding them and forgetting where I've left them later on, I am trekking back to the item box but keep getting killed due to all the zombies there!! And I don't want to kill them coz I read I need to conserve ammo on normal mode.

Ugh. It's not the incredible experience I remember haha. But I shall keep plugging away!

My brother bought this over the weekend and we had a chat about it this morning. Like you, he was having a bit of a nightmare getting to grips with it all again, despite him playing it and loving it on its original release. We started talking about how easy most games are these days, even the newer Resident Evil games suffer from this. If you die then there is no real punishment as you usually can just start from the previous room.

I've challenged him to finish it but I'm not sure he has the patience anymore. Crazy to think that newer gamers probably think this as hard, yet a bunch of us played through these games when we were teenagers/kids.

Games with loads of checkpoints, crazy amount of ammo and Internet guides have made gamers soft. I think that's why the likes of Demon/Dark Souls have a good following. There's a lot of gamers looking to be challenged.

It's a really good point Hero. When the game is made how it is, and saves are scarce and need to be used wisely, it definitely brings to life the survival horror element.

I have turned the difficulty down, and am enjoying it a hell of a lot more than what I was. I think the game has just not aged well, and the point and shoot mechanism is terrible, particularly with the dogs. It isn't too bad with the zombies as they're quite slow moving (most of them) but I got to the area where I blew the whistle on the terrace and I literally tried about 20 times and I just could not kill the dogs. It was awful.

Games are definitely made easier these days. It's not until you revisit something like this that it opens your eyes. I'm kinda glad they didn't change anything from the original either. Usually with remakes like this, they add stuff to fit with the times. I wouldn't have been surprised if they have removed the ink ribbons and let you save wherever you were at any given point!

No save run complete! With that done I have now earned my platinum. :yay:

I remembered where the Hunters were that got my the last time I tried doing this, so this time I just pegged it. The only other part that made my heart race was where you have to slowly carry the fuel canister. I cleared the area but I swear I heard a zombie approaching. This caused me to panic but I couldn't run with the thing in case it blew up.

This run also netted me my fastest time, which was 2 hours 13 minutes. Not surprising, I mean at this point I could probably do the game with my eyes closed. I'm actually shocked that isn't a trophy, given they encourage you to play just about every other way. :)

REALLY enjoyed playing through this again. Doing the game 6 times off the trot never felt like a hassle and I enjoyed every minute of it. It's been a while since I was so focused on finishing a game. It felt like old times.

It's easily been one of my favourite gaming experiences of the year and it's come right at the end. Saving the best till last. :D

Wow congrats. I'm yet to even touch it for the first time but now you're tempting me to try and out more work to get the 1000G.

Completed this last night. As in, first run done.

I absolutely loved it in the end.

I forgot all about the sections after the first visit to the cabin. It was just brilliant. I love how all the areas of the game link together. You end up coming out through a door that you've seen before but couldn't get through etc. Brilliant.

Forgot how intricately designed the game actually was (either that, or I didn't appreciate it as a 13 year old!)

I am under no illusions that I wont bag the full 1000g's for this. I don't think I could even attempt the harder difficulties, let alone the no save runs. But I am going to complete it with Chris, and see how far I can get after that.

The only thing I wish there was more of, is cut scenes. It is very very low on animated scene with dialgoue between characters. Probably a good thing though, what with how atrocious the voice acting is :laughing: (in an endearing way!) but it feels like you go forever before they punctuate the action with the story. As it stands though, it is a very very short story by way of cut scenes, which is something they've obviously noticed and changed as the series has gone forward since this game. And with the increase in console power, of course.

But yeah, after initally hating it - I now can't wait to go again!! Is it home time yet so I can start?! :heh:

Completed this last night. As in, first run done.

I absolutely loved it in the end.

I forgot all about the sections after the first visit to the cabin. It was just brilliant. I love how all the areas of the game link together. You end up coming out through a door that you've seen before but couldn't get through etc. Brilliant.

Forgot how intricately designed the game actually was (either that, or I didn't appreciate it as a 13 year old!)

I am under no illusions that I wont bag the full 1000g's for this. I don't think I could even attempt the harder difficulties, let alone the no save runs. But I am going to complete it with Chris, and see how far I can get after that.

The only thing I wish there was more of, is cut scenes. It is very very low on animated scene with dialgoue between characters. Probably a good thing though, what with how atrocious the voice acting is :laughing: (in an endearing way!) but it feels like you go forever before they punctuate the action with the story. As it stands though, it is a very very short story by way of cut scenes, which is something they've obviously noticed and changed as the series has gone forward since this game. And with the increase in console power, of course.

But yeah, after initally hating it - I now can't wait to go again!! Is it home time yet so I can start?! :heh:

I clearly forgot all about this as I have no idea where you are talking about!

I want to cry.

I started on normal to do the speed run and was going really well and then got to the plant fight. Realising about 15 mins before that I hadn't saved yet... I thought. Fuck it again!! I'll do the no save run too!! Didn't realise the door I was going through was for the plant and got killed. Literally I am cry.

I was so fucking smug sauntering through residence too like yeaaaa come at me bros. :weep:

Haha. Ah well. Back to it again. I'm kinda determined now I've set myself the goal...