NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Iun

Reasons to buy a Wii U?

The console isn't dying. Nintendo's showing at E3 cemented that, despite what people were thinking. :)

Seriously? The Wii U library from Nintendo is phenomenal.

It's a little disingenuous calling the library phenomenal, isn't it? In fairness my use of the word OK was a bit of an understatement, it's a strong line up of good games but nothing phenomenal, nothing great (and this is one of the reasons why the machine is struggling, right?). Super Mario 3d World is arguably (I wasn't that impressed with it, personally) the best game on the system and not a patch on Super Mario Galaxy. DKC is nice to have but not a big improvement over the Wii version.

There's also stuff in the list provided by @Wii which clearly shouldn't be there. Nintendo Land has it's audience but it's a weak game, same with ZombiU. When someone is asking advice on spending £300, I think it's courteous - at least - not to artificially inflate the offerings. Wii's list includes probably 5, maybe 6 games which you'd truly buy a Wii U for, if you're a Nintendo fan of course.

Since launch I've been unable to honestly recommend Wii U to friends, family at least not without some strong caveat. That hasn't changed since E3, despite a great showing.

Well that's fine.

So what was the online PSN/XBL handle you used to play Destiny? It would say in your profile that you played it. ;) It was online and invite only by the way, so don't expect a game store to have been running it.

I only ask because I never saw you make any comment about it, like, at all in the Destiny thread. Given how vocal you are I would have expected you to at least say something about it.

Haven't played Destiny yet, but have no interest in it. Bored to death with FPS games, even if it has MMO features.

Haven't played Destiny yet, but have no interest in it. Bored to death with FPS games, even if it has MMO features.

Well it's good we cleared that up, because that was basically the crux of my argument (that this beta/game is more fresh/exciting than anything Nintendo have put on Wii U so far).

So long as you haven't played that, no matter how annoyed you might be by my comments you can't dispute this one.

Well, today is my last day at work, and my boss is going to hand me a big bonus wad of cash for seven years of faithful service. I am considering the purchase of a Wii U, but it is complicated by the fact that (a) it's difficult to get online here and (b) it really seems the console is dying.

Can anyone give me some good reasons to buy? I'm genuinely in the middle ground on this issue.

Kudos on the big wad of cash GET IN!! (and buy a Wii U).

Well, I would say this purchase depends on your current situation...

Do you have time to play hours on end daily? Or a few minutes nightly? Or save it for the weekend?

If you're one of the last two I would say go for it.

My gf bought me my first U for Xmas 2012, so it didn't hurt me too hard but after the long delay of Pikmin 3, I sold it around Feb 2013 (or rather exchanged it for a 3DS XL so it still equals a gift ;) - and rightfully so I thought.

But upon buying it again in spring 2014, I was pleasantly surprised with what was on offer:

• Pikmin 3
  • Wind Waker
  • Batman games
  • Assasins Creed 3 & 4
  • Mario World
  • Donkey Kong
  • Deus Ex

Were some of my purchases, with Pikmin leading the way with that good ole Nintendo quality feeling. Im a casual gamer at the minute, playing on average 30mins a day late at night to unwind before bed.

These games provided fun for me AND the Mrs:

• New Super Mario Bros
  • Nintendoland

And for me, call me 'naive' or simple, but Im really impressed with the U tech. Still my point of call for Youtube and LoveFilm. Generally satisfied with the UI.

Things to look forward to:

• Hyrule Warriors (at least for the Zelda lore)
  • Smash Bros
  • Toads Adventure
  • Project X?
  • Bayonetta?

Autumn seems somewhat decent.

So, really depends on your time I feel. You can find a good premium deal for somewhat cheap (circa 200gbp).

If you havent owned it before, I bet you will be pleasantly surprised. Most people who bought it around this time seem to be.

: peace:

But I don't want to pay for a subscription just because I'd like to watch movies that I already own on DVD.

if you don't like paying subscriptions then buy a Wii U.

If you can pick the console up for a good price, it'll be well worth it for games such as Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros U and The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD. As I write this, it's obvious these games aren't pushing gaming in new or exciting ways but that doesn't make them any less good.. but then if you picked up a Wii with Mario Kart Wii, New Play Control Pikmin, Super Mario Galaxy, New Super Mario Bros Wii and the Gamecube version of The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, you'd maybe be just as content ::shrug:

Nintendo Land, which has received a couple of digs in this thread, is genuinely fun too, though my favourite games in the package, Donkey Kong's Crash Course, Yoshi's Fruit Cart, Balloon Trip Breeze and Captain Falcon's Twister Race, are all single player experiences and I've never spent a particularly significant amount of time with the multiplayer component. The Legend of Zelda: Battle Quest, Pikmin Adventure and Metroid Blast are decent, but regarding them basically comprising the main 'meat' of the package in terms of how much content those attractions have over the others, I find them all much less appealing than the attractions I mentioned previously.

Game & Wario isn't really a strong selling point, but it has been surprisingly fun to play since my brother got me it for Christmas, especially Artwork which we still break out from time to time :hehe:

The only 3rd party game I own, Zombi U, is one of the best uses of the Wii U Gamepad and a solid game that I fully intend to go through again in future. Apart from that, though, I don't find the rest of the Wii U library particularly appealing, personally :hmm:

I like my Wii U, honestly, but as I was glancing over at the games behind me whilst writing this post, I couldn't help but feel that there maybe isn't enough to make you jump on board if you're on the fence. Most of the best games have decent alternatives on previous Nintendo platforms, some surpassing the Wii U iterations. I'm hopeful that there will be enough titles over the duration of the console's lifespan to make it a very worthwhile purchase in the long run, though :heh:

The lack of online probably won't be that much of an issue for you. Miiverse is nice, if not essential, and the internet browser is handy, but the Virtual Console is AWFUL compared to the Wii :nono:

This post feels a little all over the place, and perhaps that's where I am with the Wii U. There have been times that I have throughly enjoyed it and then others, like I am right now, where I'm dissatisfied with it all. I know that if I didn't have the console, I'd be desperate to own it by now so maybe I'm saying.. get one..? ::shrug:

He doesn't want to pay a subscription to play videos that he already owns on DVD. I know from drahkon's other posts that he definitely loves Plus, from the number of games he has gotten out of it over the years.

Well at the moment the best reason of all is Mario Kart 8:

xfy1y1r.jpg

:love:

There are some great older titles to catch up on too...

Nintendo Land

NSMBU

Zombi U

Monster Hunter 3

Lego City Undercover

Pikmin 3

The Wonderful 101

Super Mario 3D World

DKC Tropical Freeze

All exclusive to Wii U, and all awesome. ;)

And coming up we have...

Hyrule Warriors

Bayonetta 2

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker

Splatoon

Yoshi's Wooly World

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse

Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem

Xenoblade Chronicles X

And last but not least, Zelda:

screenshot1.jpg

:o

It's a slow moving process (very slow :heh:) but right now you're looking at 10 quality exclusives to check out, and at least another 10 by the end of next year.

So yeah, there should be many reasons for anyone who enjoys gaming to buy a Wii U.

: peace:

Yup! All that and Redshell actually even missed out a lot of Wii U exclusives (both available now and upcoming) from that list!

Here's even more...

Available now

Game & Wario

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD

Wii Sports Club

Wii Fit U

Wii Party U

NES Remix 1 & 2

Pullblox World

Sonic Lost World

Scram Kitty & His Buddy on Rails

Nano Assault Neo

Toki Tori 2 (console exclusive)

Upcoming releases

Bayonetta 1 (exclusive Wii U content & included for free with Bayonetta 2)

Mario Party 10

Devil's Third

Starfox Wii U

Project Guard & Project Giant Robot (who knows how they'll be released though...)

Shovel Knight (console exclusive)

Stealth Inc 2

Affordable Space Adventures

Mario Maker

Mario VS DK Wii U

Hell even if you don't add the missing games to Redshell's list, there are still more exclusives there than there are (available now and upcoming) for both PS4 and Xbone combined!

And that's even without getting into the massive army of classic titles available on Virtual Console, including many games that are being released in Europe for the first time (Earthbound, Romance of the Four Kingdoms: Wall of Fire, Mega Man 6 etc) as well as most games being released in the original 60hz speed in Europe for the first time too!

If you're a fan of good games, you simply can't afford to NOT own a Wii U! :D

Edited by Dcubed

Just remembered that I got Nintendoland in the bundle I bought and I've never even opened the package.

Just remembered that I got Nintendoland in the bundle I bought and I've never even opened the package.

You should. It's great fun!

So what was the online PSN/XBL handle you used to play Destiny? It would say in your profile that you played it. ;)

Well it's good we cleared that up, because that was basically the crux of my argument (that this beta/game is more fresh/exciting than anything Nintendo have put on Wii U so far).

So long as you haven't played that, no matter how annoyed you might be by my comments you can't dispute this one.

Someones been is pwned :grin:

What an idiotic thing to say... You don't use it so only fanboys justify it...

Frivolous perhaps, not idiotic. It's not a great feature and doesn't deserve the praise it gets. A handful of people here make way too much of it; there are better implementations of being able to play in other rooms, off-TV play is limited in distance from the console, limited in what game you can play. I'm happy to concede that it's probably better than not having it (but then i'd say that about a trackball on the bottom of the Gamepad too).

I use off tv play all the time.

No you don't because like I say not all games utilise it. : peace:

I think VC games look better on it

I really, really don't think they do. I love how sharp, bright and vibrant 8- and 16-bit visuals look on a plasma. It gives them a striking look that brings out the best in Nintendo's historic art.

I love playing various games while I watch football, or my gfriend is watching the tele, or in bed...

People timeshift TV, so this is far less of a problem than it was in the SNES days. Someone once told me a bed is for sleeping and shagging in ;)

If you like Nintendo games then the Wii u is more than worth it, it has some of the best versions of its games!

If you like only Nintendo games then it is worth a look, but saying it has the best version of games is a little misleading. Sure, Mario Kart 8 is probably the best version but the Mario Galaxies hands down beat 3D World, whilst DK, NSMB are no better, no worse than the Wii counterparts.

And don't get two or more free games per month.

I have, and I still have to pay a subscription fee for Lovefilm and eventually Netflix.

And by the way, I got your "hit" at the PS+/Xbox Games with Gold services. :indeed: They offer more value for 10$ per month than the Wii U as a whole so far for which I payed 160€.

Love how this thread turned into a "Wii U is awesome, PS4 sucks" or "PS4 is awesome, Wii U sucks" tournament.

@Iun Fierce_LiNk link posted a great summary of pros and cons. Consider that, think about it and make you decision based on that.

Hell even if you don't add the missing games to Redshell's list, there are still more exclusives there than there are (available now and upcoming) for both PS4 and Xbone combined!

Not this spin again!

Like I said before, if you're only getting one out of PS4/XB1 with subscription (the case for most people), for all intents and purposes many of the games will be the same as exclusives. I don't have anywhere else to get Destiny.

Most people aren't getting both consoles any time soon (or gaming PC equivalent).

Not this spin again!

Like I said before, if you're only getting one out of PS4/XB1 with subscription (the case for most people), for all intents and purposes many of the games will be the same as exclusives. I don't have anywhere else to get Destiny.

Most people aren't getting both consoles any time soon (or gaming PC equivalent).

Who cares? Iun doesn't have to buy JUST a Wii U you know...

Plus Destiny is gonna be available on both current AND last gen consoles (and the same applies to almost every single currently available and upcoming multiplatform game for both PS4 and Xbone), not to mention PC for the most part. There's a very good chance that he already owns a console/gaming PC that will be able to play the vast majority of available and upcoming multiplatform games anyway.

You have plenty of choices if you want those games (and the experience is largely the same on all 4 platforms barring resolution/a few graphical embellishments). You can't say the same for the army of exclusive titles on Wii U...

Edited by Dcubed

Who cares? He doesn't have to buy JUST a Wii U you know...

No, but your argument was somewhat disingenuous because of the way you perceive exclusives. Technically speaking, any game that doesn't come to at least one format can be considered exclusive to the formats that it does come to. And given most people will just get one next gen console for at least a good while, the argument doesn't really hold much weight.

Plus Destiny is gonna be available on both current AND last gen consoles (and the same applies to almost every single currently available and upcoming multiplatform game for both PS4 and Xbone), not to mention PC for the most part.

Doesn't matter, fact is, if you DO have a next gen console then you'll probably only have one (due to costs and subscriptions), and if you DO have a next gen console then you will get Destiny/next gen games on that due to them being superior versions costing about the same. So for all intents and purposes, Destiny is the same as an exclusive to me, for my PS4!

You have plenty of choices if you want those games (and the experience is largely the same on all 4 platforms barring resolution/a few graphical embellishments). You can't say the same for the army of exclusive titles on Wii U...

Again, it doesn't matter, because ultimately you do make a choice and once that choice is made you have so many more available 'exclusives'. Once you pick a PS4, for example, you have/will have so many more games to get for that console than the Wii U.

Edited by Sheikah

The Wii-U isn't even close to £300. Even the premium packs with Mario Kart etc are comfortably under £250. And there have been various offers around doing decent bundle deals with several games from £200-230.

You can get a basic model for £175 delivered to your door on amazon right now.

Yeah if you wanted a 32 GB Wii-u and 2-3 top releases to get you started it could come to £300. But if we're using that figure to valuate the Wii-U in comparison to it's rivals, then it's only fair to slap another £100 or so onto their costs aswell.

No, but your argument was somewhat disingenuous because of the way you perceive exclusives. Technically speaking, any game that doesn't come to at least one format can be considered exclusive to the formats that it does come to. And given most people will just get one next gen console for at least a good while, the argument doesn't really hold much weight.

Doesn't matter, fact is, if you DO have a next gen console then you'll probably only have one (due to costs and subscriptions), and if you DO have a next gen console then you will get Destiny/next gen games on that due to them being superior versions costing about the same. So for all intents and purposes, Destiny is the same as an exclusive to me, for my PS4!

Again, it doesn't matter, because ultimately you do make a choice and once that choice is made you have so many more available 'exclusives'. Once you pick a PS4, for example, you have/will have so many more games to get for that console than the Wii U.

Not if you already own a PS3 or a 360, in which case... There isn't much available that isn't also available on last gen consoles.

Regardless, Iun didn't specify that he was buying a Wii U instead of a PS3/4, or a 369/Xbone. No, he was asking reasons for or against buying one on its own merits outright.

The massive list of exclusives on Wii U is more than reason enough to buy one, regardless of whether or not it's getting multiplat games like Destiny.

Not if you already own a PS3 or a 360, in which case... There isn't much available that isn't also available on last gen consoles.

At some point, few games will be made for last gen. Hence, upgrading is pretty much going to happen anyway, so you may as well do it and start enjoying games that look and run better despite costing around the same.

Once you do it, the fact that games also release on the last gen is irrelevant. Most people will get one next gen console, because it's too expensive to get both. Once they do, you can pretty much look at the wealth of upcoming games as exclusives, because they pretty much will be.

That's all I'm getting at - that we shouldn't boast about there being more exclusives on Wii U than any other console, because from a reality standpoint it just isn't true.

Again, it's interesting reading this. Even from @Iun's first post he's not completely swayed by the WiiU. In the middle ground. There's good arguments from both sides. It really depends what Iun wants from it. If it's going to be his main console, then...I think it's worth looking at all the options, personally. Including the other consoles and PC. If it's just an accessory console, then why not? More options, eh. But, I'd be hard pressed to recommend to him the WiiU as his main gaming fix, unless he's really digging the likes of Pikmin, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, etc, that would change things.

What exactly are your circumstances, Iun? Do you game an awful lot these days? Because that'll change things, too.

Don't bother with the Wii U unless you've literally played every Nintendo game available on the Wii. I'm still playing through Mario Galaxy 2 and I've yet to get Skyward Sword (might not bother with this one) and there are a few others. If it's Nintendo games you miss, the backlog is often better quality than the games that are coming out now. Buying a Wii U at this point won't really engage you for more than a couple of weeks and you'll be bankrolling a failed business venture than buying a properly viable gaming platform.

To be fair though - Iun didn't ask if he has to buy JUST a Wii U, nor did he ask why he should/shouldn't buy a PS4/XB1, he's only really asked for reasons to buy the Wii U.

One point I would make Iun if cost isn't too prohibitive(again I don't know what the situation is like over there) - one plus point is due to some of the market situation with the Wii U there's a number of 3rd party titles that can be obtained for pretty cheap over here.

The console isn't dying. Nintendo's showing at E3 cemented that, despite what people were thinking. :)

Seriously? The Wii U library from Nintendo is phenomenal.

Take some of your own advice please.

Oh go troll somewhere else.

To be fair though - Iun didn't ask if he has to buy JUST a Wii U, nor did he ask why he should/shouldn't buy a PS4/XB1, he's only really asked for reasons to buy the Wii U.

One point I would make Iun if cost isn't too prohibitive(again I don't know what the situation is like over there) - one plus point is due to some of the market situation with the Wii U there's a number of 3rd party titles that can be obtained for pretty cheap over here.

Well reasons to get or not get something are given with the assumption that money is an object, otherwise the whim would be enough, and the question is obviously comparative to similar entertainment devices he could buy; a valid reason not to buy the Wii U is that there are other things he could get that would be a better bet for gaming. In China I'd even say go for a PC, there are a bunch of free to play games catered for that audience. But that assumes that he's into those types of games/ his friends also play, since they tend to be multiplayer focused.

The one reason I've been wanting to get a Wii U is upscaled Virtual Console and Wii games. Hell I'd have one by now if the screen controller wasn't inflating the price, or it had launched at the price the Gamecube did. Shit, the Gamecube tech was very advanced for its time, it was almost twice as powerful as a PS2, had a far superior AMD GPU and it was only £129.99. It had more amazing games in its launch window than the Wii U had in its entire first year.

Edited by The Bard

Once you do it, the fact that games also release on the last gen is irrelevant. Most people will get one next gen console, because it's too expensive to get both. Once they do, you can pretty much look at the wealth of upcoming games as exclusives, because they pretty much will be.

I've been very much into Sony since I got a PS3, but there really isn't much in the way of exclusives. At the moment, the next PS4 game I want is Uncharted (the first was inFamous).

I'll definitely be getting a PS4 at some point, but right now I'm going to (shockingly) gave to agree that the Wii U is currently better for exclusives (both released and announced).

The one reason I've been wanting to get a Wii U is upscaled Virtual Console and Wii games.

I actually find that Wii games look awful when played through my HDMI cable on Wii U compared to the component cable of my Wii. It's one of the reasons I never done the data transfer from Wii to Wii U :heh:

As for Virtual Console games, I actually hate playing with borders down each side. I have a 40" TV and I like to have it filled! I'd rather have the picture fill the screen and be stretched a bit than have those black strips down each side :nono:

Sign in to follow this