NEurope
Happenstance

Mass Effect: Andromeda

As far as I know this game is separate to the story of ME1-3 so you'd be pretty safe Flink.

Awesome! I'd still like to tap into that universe at some point.

The combat for Andromeda looks pretty sick. I think I drooled a little watching that vid on the last page.

You never know, we've had collections and remasters a fair bit this gen, I wouldn't say it's completely out of the question. Even if it's just a straightforward port without any extra work done to it.

I'm holding out for the possibility of it maybe being added to PSNow. Again, I'd take that. Aside from that, my only real option would be to buy a cheap PS3 to play the trilogy, but I don't want to go down the route of extra hardware. There's PC maybe, if mine (my laptop) can run it.

Except that in this case they have specifically talked about not making a remake. Also it's an awful lot bigger than anything that's been remade so far.

Check if your laptop can run it! Must be dirt cheap now.

Nobody you could borrow a console from? If you lived nearby I'd lend you an Xbox 360 and all 3 games in a heartbeat as they're only collecting dust.... I'd put Mass Effect way up there, maybe above, any of the other amazing games you missed out on last generation.

The Mass Effect trilogy and dlc are currently on sale on the PSN. Its so tempting to just buy them again to play through but I'm also holding out hope that they'll get a re-release.

We still do have conflicting reports on if they are willing to re-release it or not. Dont forget that while the quote that they wouldnt came out after the interview saying it was a possibility, it turned out that quote was said sometime beforehand so they could have changed their mind after seeing interest and how well other re-releases have done.

Just seen the figures @Happenstance preordered, noticed the heroes... they have first names? Are those canon?

You can change them, just like with John/Jane Shepard.

However

If you stick with the default names in Andromeda, then that name will be used in dialogue.

I quite like the name Sara anyway, so I'll probably stick to that.

Yeah, I like that we're given an option. Normally Id prefer something more "exotic", but Sara is nice enough and if you're actually addressed as such (when appropriate), is a much better option.

Being called Shepard after romancing someone is a bit weird.

@Deathjam, have you pre-ordered this?

I have. I'll try to get my computer sorted, looking forward to some multiplayer.

You're getting it on PC? Because I'm also getting it on PC, so I'd be up for multiplayer.

You're getting it on PC? Because I'm also getting it on PC, so I'd be up for multiplayer.

Yeah. If you see me mentioning getting a game that's not on a Nintendo console, assume I'm getting it on PC.

Me and Deathjam and a friend of his played a lot of ME3 multiplayer back in the day. Would be cool to get a 4 player party! Though I'm not sure if I'll use a mic. I don't have a headset, and you'll just hear my computer fans ;).

Starting my replay of the Mass Effect trilogy today on PS3. Found myself more excited for this than I am playing the Switch and Zelda next week.

Actually, looking at the specs, my PC is at the minimum requirements. May be easier to get the PS4 version.

I cant wait for Andromeda. I really should get back to my ME trilogy playthrough before it comes out. I had finished 1 but then Zelda distracted me from 2.

For some reason I'm worried, I think this'll be the one game out of the big list of hugely awesome recent/upcoming games that'll let me down. Hope to be proven wrong though!

Sooo... the game's getting some pretty poor writeups based on the first few hours

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/14/mass-effect-andromeda-review-opening-hours/

Side quests feel like something from a 2004 Korean MMO. Just complete nothingness, running from map icon to map icon, scanning objects with your scanner when told to, and then AI companion SAM letting you know that, yup, the source of the defects has been found/animal has been captured/toddler reunited with rabid tiger, despite your actually doing nothing relevant to the tissue-thin narrative.

I'd been super-hyped for this and actually thought the last couple trailers they put out were starting to look pretty good. I'll check out the reviews tomorrow, but in all likelihood I might just go back and played the original trilogy, which I never played. Or finish off Kotor!

One thing I have heard is that people who have review copies are saying there is a good game in there when you get past the opening hours. Seems like an odd decision from EA to allow people to only play the opening hours and let all this negative reaction out there.

I've still got my copy preordered anyway. Mass Effect is one of those series that I would buy regardless just to see the story and universe continue.

Reviews for the game are looking pretty ropey. Lots of bugs in the game (it is a ME game after all :D ), awful sidequests, feels like a spin off, game feels rushed, characters aren't a patch on the original trilogy...the list goes on. :(

I think this has probably come out at the worst time possible. You've had 4 highly rated open world games being released ( Nier, Ghost Recon, BOTW and Horizon ) all either doing something new, being very fun or being highly polished and then this has arrived at the same time and it looks to feel very stale in comparison.

I'll still be picking this up be I may put it on the waiting list. I was gonna get it after I finish Horizon but I may pick up Nier instead.

I'd say calling the new Ghost Recon "highly rated" might be pushing it a bit :p

Haha. True, but it was a very solid game, reviewed well, was very fun and ran well. In comparison I would expect ME to do much better than it.

There are still enough reviews saying that its a good game which is rough around the edges so I'm still happy to keep my preorder and expect that I'll most likely enjoy it.

Cancelled my pre-order, which is a first really. Opinions are ropey, there is certainly a mixed bag of reviews out there. I'll still pick up the game, just a few months down the line once the bugs have been fixed (hopefully).

I had high hopes for this game, perhaps too high (although it surely can't be that hard to basically port the ME engine with a new story which was my bench mark) and reviews and opinions are not favourable where i'd want them to be - bad characterisations, ropey story, dodgy animations, but the combat is good? Who played mass effect for the combat?

I'll wait a bit and replay ME1-3