NEurope
Happenstance

Mass Effect: Andromeda

My cleaner also cleans the EA head office, and she's skeptical about the whole thing.

I can understand this though. To play through all 3 games would take some considerable time and I could quite easily see that leaving people burned out on ME for a while. They don't have that long before Andromeda is out.

What they should have done is got it out much closer to launch of the PS4/X1.

Doesn't sound like a complete shutdown of the possibility, just saying it's not something they want to put resources into at this minute. Still disappointed following recent allusions.

Edited by Shorty

I've given up waiting/hoping for a remaster announcement. I'm just gonna download the PC versions again and pay for the dlc that is worthwhile.

Trailer for N7 Day

Strange angle to go with really. Doesn't capture any of that old ambition of the Mass Effect games, but it does look good.

Release date finally announced.

Can a mod edit the title please?

March 21 in the US, March 23 in Europe.

https://www.masseffect.com/news/mass...oming-in-march

By Aaryn Flynn, General Manager of BioWare

On behalf of our teams across Montreal, Edmonton and Austin, I’m excited to announce that Mass EffectTM: Andromeda will be launching in North America on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 and beginning Thursday, March 23, 2017 in Europe. We appreciate your patience (and in fact, even your lack of patience in some instances) as we’ve been focused on completing the game. Here’s a little bit of context into how we’ve gotten here.

Mass Effect: Andromeda is our most ambitious Mass Effect game to date. We’re telling completely new stories, creating new characters, new planets, new species, and introducing new gameplay systems. And for the first time, we’re bringing Mass Effect to the FrostbiteTM game engine, an incredible engine that’s delivering a tremendous graphical jump from the trilogy to Mass Effect: Andromeda. To deliver on this, we’re taking all the time we can to make sure you’re getting the best possible experience.

Over this holiday break, developers at BioWare took home a version of the game in what we call the “holiday build”. This is a longstanding studio tradition that goes back to the early days of the original Mass Effect. Many load up a PC or console and go home to play as much as possible at their leisure. Coming back from holiday, the feedback has been great. Getting the endorsement from members of our studio, many of whom played key roles on the original trilogy, was definitely a key factor in helping us lock in on the date.

Even more exciting for us over the last couple of months has been seeing the excitement build in the community as we’ve started to share more about the game. The passion you have for the franchise continues to drive us. And now, we’re just a couple of months away from delivering a brand new Mass Effect experience to you for the first time in five years – richer, deeper and ready for exploration. We’re excited about how far we are going with the franchise, and we hope you find it’s been worth the wait.

See you in Andromeda,

Aaryn

March 21st?!

No way did I think it would be out so soon, I thought end of the year at the earliest! The first few months of this year are insane, even before you begin to think about the Switch launch!

:bouncy:

Gameplay from the Nvidia conference.

It seems the ability to switch classes whenever you want has annoyed a lot of fans.

It's fun scrutinizing that video for gameplay details.

I really don't like the sound of switching classes on the fly, this messes up role playing, but other than that they seem to have taken some positive cues from ME3 multiplayer. You seem to be limited to 3 skills in your loadout, and this worked perfectly in multiplayer. I mean, why have access to several skills if you're only going to use your favourites and the best ones.. And they seem to have incorporated skills from ME3 multiplayer you never got to use in singleplayer, like a flamethrower. It's easy to see why they would allow you to switch classes with this in mind, this is to have players make an easier switch to multiplayer and vice versa. Got a cool build in multiplayer you'd like to try in singleplayer? Now you can, while in ME3 you never got to play as a Meleeing Volus lunatic biotic god, a torching Vorcha, or an unkillable Geth Prime gunning down everything with a minigun that doesn't stop. While I'm sure you still won't be able to play as a Volus, Vorcha or whatever, I expect a lot of skills will make it into the game that emulate ME3 multiplayer playstyles, the flamethrower is already one of them.

I've been pausing at every skill in the menu.

They split up some of the passive skills in previous game into smaller one. In the video you can see one to increase tech damage, one to increase the effectiveness of tech skills, and one to upgrade your teammates.

There are some familiar skills:

Overload

Incinerate

Energy Drain

Tactical cloak

Cryo beam isn't the same as Cryo Blast, but I assume it's close enough.

Assault turret is probably also close to something we've already seen though I hope it's gotten an upgrade. I hope it's closer to what the enemies actually deployed.

New ones are:

Invasion

Remnant VI

Flamethower

Flak cannon

And the mentioned passives.

Invasion is a tech skills that sounds similar to biotic skills in ME3 multiplayer, where you deploy a swarm of machines as a debuff, and it will spread to nearby enemies.

Remnant VI seems to summon a robot, the Geth equivalent of ME4. It seems to fire missiles and can repair itself, and cloak. It's switched out in the loadout for an upgraded flamethrower.

Flamethower is showcased in the video, and similar to ME3 mp.

Flak Cannon seems to be a direct damage skill. They're limited (like grenades), but seem to automatically refill themselves. The animation makes it seem like it uses the gun, though this was the case with other skills in ME3 as well. Wonder if they home in like ME3 homing grenades, though this seems to be more instant.

The weapon looks like the Falcon "assault rifle", though I don't think I've really used that weapon in ME3.

I'm still super skeptical about this game. I find it funny that people are picking apart combat, items, weapons etc., lets be honest combat was completely shit in ME1 but it was still an amazing game because of the story and atmosphere of it. Remember that original trailer that was just about tuning out a distress call because you had to prioritise something else instead? The highlight was on choices, cause and effect etc.. This game is being marketed like it's CoD in space or something.

I'm still super skeptical about this game. I find it funny that people are picking apart combat, items, weapons etc., lets be honest combat was completely shit in ME1 but it was still an amazing game because of the story and atmosphere of it. Remember that original trailer that was just about tuning out a distress call because you had to prioritise something else instead? The highlight was on choices, cause and effect etc.. This game is being marketed like it's CoD in space or something.

/i know what you are saying and have started to wonder this myself, there has been a lot of focus on the battle system which makes me think the dev's have lost what made ME good - its story and characters

It could just be that they are trying to keep the story super secret, but they managed to reveal enough during the previous games marketing to keep it secret and interesting, so i don't know

I'd be happy for the combat to be very similar and just a new story, the game doesn't need to do that much different for the sake of being different to me, just deliver a new story in the same universe that engages me

Is it just me or does this look kinda graphically dated? The main character's hair and facial textures etc. feel like they look no better than ME3.

That said, watched 10 seconds of the trailer muted just to see if they moved away from the CoD vibe and it's certainly looking better :D as long as I can make my custom FemRyder look nothing like that bland cookie-cutter hero....

Hnnnnnnggg, that looks incredible.

I'm still cautiously optimistic about a trilogy collection for PS4. I'd want to get on those before I play Andromeda.

Really starting to look forward to this now. Mass Effect Andromeda and Persona 5 are easily my most anticipated games of the year.

Also got preorders in for the 2 main character statues that'll be coming out and the Art of Mass Effect Andromeda book. Then it will just be the Nexus Uprising book to buy but I think I'll get that after I've played the game.

Hnnnnnnggg, that looks incredible.

I'm still cautiously optimistic about a trilogy collection for PS4. I'd want to get on those before I play Andromeda.

I think that optimism might be misplaced... you'd be better off looking for a cheap way to play the originals.

Just seen the figures @Happenstance preordered, noticed the heroes... they have first names? Are those canon?

I think that optimism might be misplaced... you'd be better off looking for a cheap way to play the originals.

Just seen the figures @Happenstance preordered, noticed the heroes... they have first names? Are those canon?

You never know, we've had collections and remasters a fair bit this gen, I wouldn't say it's completely out of the question. Even if it's just a straightforward port without any extra work done to it.

I'm holding out for the possibility of it maybe being added to PSNow. Again, I'd take that. Aside from that, my only real option would be to buy a cheap PS3 to play the trilogy, but I don't want to go down the route of extra hardware. There's PC maybe, if mine (my laptop) can run it.