NEurope
Happenstance

Mass Effect: Andromeda

The Escapist talking about the Mass Effect panel at SDCC and the return of the Mako

I really should get around to finishing Mass Effect 3... :blank:

...I'm such a heathen.

As this is still years away I really hope we get the rumoured re-release of the trilogy on the new consoles, this time with the dlc. I'd love an excuse to play them all through again.

It's probably too much to ask, but I'm hoping they'll drop the morality system this time around. I'm finally getting around to playing the Mass Effect 3 DLC, and I feel forced to make Shepard into a jerk just to keep my paragon score intact. I went to Omega with Aria "Mac Walters's sex fantasy" T'Loak, and early on she says that when we're fighting bad guys, Shepard's in charge. And I can choose to say something like, "pfft, like you'd ever be able to take orders" or "good, let's play to our strengths." So I decide to play nice, but nope, that's +2 to renegade points and I end up restarting the mission and watching a very lengthy cutscene again just so I can pick the other choice.

Which is how I played the entire trilogy, really.

I would like to see them do it on a personal basis rather than than a an overall "good or bad" so you can be a complete dick with people you don't like (although some people would actually like you for arguing with them). Like Dragon Age, actually.

For example, you can hit that reporter which means that she hates you, but if you have Wrex and Ashley, they both enjoy seeing you do that (like Dragon Age, actually).

On top of that, they need to mix around the options as you know which option is good or bad based on where they are on the wheel, as well are more morally grey choices (like Dragon Age, actually).

I'd also love to see a next gen release with all the DLC, as long as it gets an equivalent PC version - the DLC is such a pain to get. I'd also like to see the DLC more integrated into the game, so you get certain ones at certain times during the game, rather than starting ME2 and having 20 missions from the start.

They always made a big deal of relationships in Mass Effect. What I'd really like to see is those relationships matter a bit more. In fact, I'd say that's true of any game with relationship functions.

As it stands, your relationship typically only affects conversation options with the individual involved. It doesn't affect the story, the action, the gameplay or even conversations with other NPCs.

It would be a detailed, heavily fractured dialogue tree that would be required to make this work, but I think it would be worth it.

In general, it's always great when every little option can come back to you with a specific reaction later on. Rather than concentrating on the size and scale of the explorable universe, they should just focus on the depth and detail of character interactions.

One place this was done pretty well was in the additional content in P4G, where you went off with MC's partner and the other members of the team all reacted accordingly. Little things like that make your impact on the game world feel more real. Which is what an RPG should be about really.

I'm sure Bioware will have learned a lot from ME3, which was a fantastic game up until its closing sequence. I have high hopes for this, although I imagine it's a long, long way off.

I need to try and find the interview but I remember a conversation a while ago from Telltale about the Walking Dead and how difficult it was to make all these choices matter in the wider world and how in the end, even though there were differences the endings kind of all shifted back to the one place, just like ME3. Hopefully it'll be something that can be worked on as the consoles and PCs progress as I agree, changes that really matter in the world would be great, especially in a Universe like the one Bioware built for ME which is so rich.

You'd think having Garrus ask you how things are with you and Liara wouldn't be that difficult to program, but then I don't work at BioWare.

Played Mass Effect 3 a few months back and fell in love with it. Instantly jumping into my top 3 games of all time. I feel a bit gutted I didn't play the first two first but with no PS3/360 or PC I didn't really have the option to.

I'm holding out hope they re-release the trilogy on PS4/XBO, with all the DLC included. I'd buy one of those consoles just to play it. No news at E3 or Gamescom doesn't fill me with hope though, plus they seem to have their hands full at the moment. Do people think a re-release is likely? I imagine it'd sell pretty well.

I'd snap up a re-release in a second too! Haven't played the series yet as I was always holding out for one, and that ME1 may get a bit of an update.

I think a re-release is likely. With ME4 being a few years away, it would work well to release a trilogy a year or so before to build towards it. Now be considered a little bit too early maybe.

Not that I'm particularly keen on the re-master trend, but the Mass Effect trilogy could really benefit from it with enough care and effort. The first game hasn't aged that well so to give it a new coat of gloss and bring the combat up to the standard of the third game (or better) could make a real treat. Not that its something which is even being hinted at though... and I imagine they want to pool all their resources into ME4 for now. Maybe if Dragon Age: Inquisition does especially well, they might be able to spend some time/money on it.

Give ME3 a holster animation maybe. I could see myself playing through the games a third time. The first would really benefit from the systems of the second and third.

http://blog.bioware.com/2015/06/15/introducing-mass-effect-andromeda/?sf38667951=1

While we aren’t ready to go into too many details just yet, as you saw in the trailer and can tell by the name, this game is very much a new adventure, taking place far away from and long after the events of the original trilogy. You will play a human, male or female, though that’s actually not the character you saw in the trailer (more on that later). You’ll be exploring an all-new galaxy, Andromeda, and piloting the new and improved Mako you saw. And through it all, you will have a new team of adventurers to work with, learn from, fight alongside of, and fall in love with.

I can't believe they gave Mass Effect all of two minutes.

Pretty gutted no remastered collection of the original trilogy. The demand for that seems to be huge.

Looks epic! Very excited.

And having not played the original trilogy I like that it does in fact seem separate.

So seems the rumoured/leaked story details are somewhat accurate then, at least with regards to this taking place in the Andromeda galaxy. Very interested to see how the build this one but good to see they're distancing themselves from the original trilogy to create a new story arc here. I just hope that rumour of a Reaper-esque enemy being the main threat or whatever turns out to be false. Also hoping that they aren't going to go down the Dragon Age: Inquisition route with the locations.

Still a bit mythed that they didn't announce a remaster of the original trilogy to span the gap to Holiday 2016 for this. Then again, EA do tend to announce little things at Gamescom and it's clear that some of the developers are holding back a little at E3 so far so maybe they'll do it there.

There Is No Mass Effect Remaster Coming Sadly

People complain about remasters a lot, but quite a lot still ask for Mass Effect to get a revamped treatment. It seems that if any game was going to get a pass, it would be a bundle of that franchise.

I have some bad news though. It doesn’t look like it’s happening. Speaking to GameInformer, EA’s Patrick Söderlund said quite clearly:

" I won’t lie and say we haven’t looked at it. But for us, it’s about weighing where we spend our resources. Is it better for them to be working on a completely new IP, which you know BioWare is, or should they be remastering a Mass Effect?"

That’s a shame. Mass Effect probably is my favourite franchise, but honestly, I want EA and Bioware working on Andromeda. Also, I’m not sure I’d want to go through and play it all again. I don’t doubt a lot of fans woudl though and it sucks they won’t get that.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/06/17/there-is-no-mass-effect-remaster-coming-sadly/

:(:(:(:(

Interesting. The new Mass Effect: Andromeda trailer is narrated by Commander Shepard.

Edited by Shorty
don't mind me, updating removed video link

Yay Jennifer Hale :D

Whatever Mass Effect brings in the future, it has a lot to live up to.

A citadel-like spaceship filled with people being sent to Andromeda on a scouting mission because of the Reaper threat? The protagonist could have his/her smaller ship to take on missions, while still having the base of operations aspect.

I wonder if it's the Commander Shepard VI from ME2 speaking or one of the ME3 ending is canonical! Can't wait to see the new "Normandy SR-3".

I wonder if it's the Commander Shepard VI from ME2 speaking or one of the ME3 ending is canonical! Can't wait to see the new "Normandy SR-3".

Most likely, it's from before the end of ME3. It's highly probable that the ship left the galaxy just before the final battle in ME3.

I think we're supposed to see it more as a metaphorical passing of the torch, I don't think it has to particularly link anywhere in the timeline, it's just a cool speech in a video to show that it's time for the next big thing.